Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn very soggy with bad drainage

Options
  • 18-04-2020 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi gang. I have a lawn that is soggy and mucky all year round. Very little surface water. It’s just very soggy and mucky to walk in. I was wondering what would be the easiest way to drain it. I have just a field to the back of the lawn. Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Is the field wet? What a type of soil? Is it compaction? More info needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

Don't know if it true or not but heard willow trees are good for damp soil. Suck up a lot of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭kingofbeers

Faze11 wrote: »
    Don't know if it true or not but heard willow trees are good for damp soil. Suck up a lot of water.

We actually have a weeping willow tree in the garden.

Faze11 wrote: »

We actually have a weeping willow tree in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That would be more an ornamental small tree, I think the willows the poster was talking about are the large ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What's the topography? Is the field higher or lower than your lawn?

Lumen wrote: »
    What's the topography? Is the field higher or lower than your lawn?

It’s around same height.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Well I guess that excludes as a possible cause the field draining on to your site.

I guess you need to work out what sort of problem you have. Is it a high water table, or a soil problem?

Have you tried digging a few test holes to see what's going on? Like a percolation test for a septic system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

It’s around same height.

You could either be logged or compacted.

The answer is pretty much the same in that it requires digging, so you need to put in drainage either into an existing drain (the best solution) or into an open one preferably on the low side if that's at all possible.

You can fill the open drain with round stone if an actually open drain is a no go.

If it's compaction in the upper layers from over working or heavy machinery making it impermeable (my brother in law has this problem but there's no talking to him) you need to till the compacted layer to loosen and reseed.
    Along with land drain for the worst spots

Advertisement