Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WAHL 79449-317 hair clippers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Normal price is about £20

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

Normal price is about £20

really!
    ok sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Need to spend around €100 to get a good clippers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

FFVII wrote: »

No you don’t need to spend anything near that

Most of the clippers barbers themselves use are in the 30-50 euro range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

You really don't. I got this trimmer (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BHY4FZ4/) long before the pandemic for £26 and it works great for cutting my hair.

This one here is fairly good also and only cost £15: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013GH0AE4/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

Bought a Wahl corded Colour Pro clippers on Amazon 4 yrs ago for £32.

Wahl 79400-800 Colour Pro Coded Mains Hair Clipper Kit

Probably got it sent to Parcel Motel. Less than E45 delivered. Still working today...although Mrs B says "...that it doesn't seem to have to work as hard these days..."

...not sure what she means...;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I got Babyliss Super clipper XTP for 70 euros. But yea original price is around 100

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

VG31 wrote: »
    You really don't. I got this trimmer .... long before the pandemic for £26 and it works great for cutting my hair.

This one here is fairly good also and only cost £15: ...

Ahem, let us be the judge of that...........photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I got this one Remington HC4250 and am very pleased. I do an overall 1.5mm cut cos I don't have much on top anyway and maybe remove the shield altogether for trimming off the neck and behind the ears. It's that "new" shape like an ice-hockey puck with a big curved cutting area - very easy to hold and manoeuvre.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012F8MS9A - about £29, delivered

(and suddenly it's out of stock??)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Not true, most barbers would spend at least €100 on a pair of clippers.

Professional clippers

I have the Wahl Sterling 2, excellent little machine with fantastic battery.

tedpan wrote: »

Professional clippers

Not true of the last few barbers I've been to in Dublin anyway. Seems like those would be the type of clippers used in those few posh barbers where you spend three times as much but end up with same haircut. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Not true of the last few barbers I've been to in Dublin anyway. Seems like those would be the type of clippers used in those few posh barbers where you spend three times as much but end up with same haircut.

Maybe! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I got one for €12 on amazon. Works perfectly. I may never visit a barber again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

tedpan wrote: »

Professional clippers

Pulled the trigger last night on the Wahl Super Taper from that site 65e delivered.

Let ye know if/when it arrives.... Hard Times lads 😑

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I have that wahl super taper for a long time.
    Great clippers.

I’m gonna pull the plug on the Legend as the above us had its day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

Can you buy clipper guards longer than 2 inches?

I will have no choice but to go for this look:

long-hair-celebs-1.jpg

And I might end up looking like this:

longhair11.jpg

:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I bought clippers for the dog before the lockdown in Aldi for less than 20 quid. Had to use it on myself last week due to a global shortage of reasonably priced ones! It worked out grand considering I'd no idea what I was doing! :D

I bought clippers for the dog before the lockdown in Aldi for less than 20 quid. Had to use it on myself last week due to a global shortage of reasonably priced ones! It worked out grand considering I'd no idea what I was doing! :D

I bet it looks ruff....

I'll get my coat!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I bet it looks ruff....

I'll get my coat!

Haha!!

It actually worked out better than the attempt I made on the poor dog!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

LOL.

I am still using a Wahl I got in Australia in 2002. Use it monthly and the only problem is trying to find the travel plug that keeps on going missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

MaceFace wrote: »
    LOL.

I am still using a Wahl I got in Australia in 2002. Use it monthly and the only problem is trying to find the travel plug that keeps on going missing.

18 years!?

Mains operated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

18 years!?

Mains operated?

Yep. It's missing a couple of teeth at one end but otherwise, works perfect. Clip on plastic number blades still hold in place.

Pulled the trigger last night on the Wahl Super Taper from that site 65e delivered.

Let ye know if/when it arrives.... Hard Times lads 😑

This is due to arrive today!

Whatever about the clipper and my ability to use it, that's a serious good service from terrisales (ordered Sunday night.)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Not true of the last few barbers I've been to in Dublin anyway.
    Were you able to spot what models they were using? and knew the prices?

I have not been to a barbers in decades, but the cheap barbers I went to at the time used heavy duty looking wahls, I cut my own with a "wahl homecut" for years and is still working. It would be a false economy for a barber to be buying a cheap home model whose motor would not last as long, and would heat up a lot. Also the pro ones will often cut faster and so have a higher turnover of customers. Same reason a carpenter is not going to buy a cheap lidl drill.

I then upgraded to the "wahl balding" which was on that linked page for €65. I got mine for €55 10 years ago and it is still going strong. I have used quite a few clippers over the years, mostly wahls and this is a definite step up. It cuts twice as fast and does not heat up as much and has a longer cord. It cuts closer than normal wahls so it is close enough to do my face.

rubadub wrote: »
    Were you able to spot what models they were using? and knew the prices?

At the time yes. In particular I had to go a barber about five years ago because my expensive "premium" Wahl trimmer was acting up after about a month. I asked afterwards which one he was using, ordered it for about €40 I think and found it to be just as fast (and cool) as my old Wahl and it was still working up until I left it behind when I left the country last year.

I don't remember the name of it but it was a very generic name. I'd say a good chunk of the money you're paying for brands like Wahl goes towards paying for their name, just like with Apple and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Bought one of these in 2011, amazed to see it still for sale though tantamount to its quality I suppose, used weekly to shave me and my son's hair these days too - https://www.terrisales.ie/product/456/Wahl-Super-Taper-Hair-Clipper/

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I bought a wahl about 2 years ago and used it a couple of times then. I used it last week and it was grand. The blade numbers though seem to be not the same as you would ask in a barbers, I used blade number 6 and I ended up with a number 3, which was too short for me.
    People need to be careful when using the blade numbers!

The trouble with these is getting the edges of your hair right, particularly the back of your head. You'll need someone to do that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The trouble with these is getting the edges of your hair right, particularly the back of your head. You'll need someone to do that for you.

Thats what my 7 year old daughter does for me, I can't see it so its all good :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

At the time yes. In particular I had to go a barber about five years ago because my expensive "premium" Wahl trimmer was acting up after about a month.
    Sounds like it was faulty so, or that the power adjust screw was not set correctly, many do not even know they have a power screw on it, or indeed how to use it correctly. Did you not bring it back, esp. if it was expensive.

That is what I really like about the wahls, even the cheap ones I have used had the adjust screw (the mains powers ones anways, I would advise to get a mains one).

I'd say a good chunk of the money you're paying for brands like Wahl goes towards paying for their name, just like with Apple and the likes.
    I am one of the biggest skinflints I know! I despise apple products, I would recommend good value products though, I would also pay for certain other brands like e.g. a victorinox swiss army knife as I think its a false economy not to. Wahl is not expensive at all! the current homecut model is €13.99 in argos, brilliant value for such a highly respected brand. And a 3 year warranty

https://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=15051&langId=111&searchTerms=wahl+home&authToken=-1002%252CTb6zd56kFOpztp1WPmC9rktuDxQ%253D

1,879 reviews 4.5/5 average
    Grades 1-6.
    6 attachments included: 1-6 combs.
    High carbon steel blades.
    For dry use.
    Corded.
    Self sharpening blades that sharpen themselves during use.
    Accessories include: cleaning brush, scissors, oil, barber^s comb, blade guard
    Manufacturer's 3 year guarantee

They need to be kept oiled properly too, the cap on the mini sampler bottle always fall off and most do not oil it again, most also do not use the power adjust screw and let it go all gummy. The Wahls can be easily disassembled and cleaned, and sharpened if you know now.

I just wanted one to get a fairly close face shave in a fast time, I was sick of other foil electric types. If there was a €13.99 close wahl home model I would have got it.

I bought a wahl about 2 years ago and used it a couple of times then. I used it last week and it was grand. The blade numbers though seem to be not the same as you would ask in a barbers, I used blade number 6 and I ended up with a number 3, which was too short for me.
    People need to be careful when using the blade numbers!
    This sounds like you might have read the length measurement on the blade, it will have the blade number and also length. A 6mm written on the blade means its a blade #2. As far as I know all the wahls are standardised and 1/8inch per blade. So a blade #2 is 6.35mm which is rounded to 6mm on the blade

51e1Z-ZqzyL._AC_SX425_.jpg

A #6 is a huge yoke
    image.jpg

I have looked up guides and most manufacturers use the same length to # guidelines.

Advertisement