Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council House.

Options
  • 19-04-2020 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi everyone. I am just wondering, if someone is given a brand new council house, does it come with toilets, sink and boiler? I heard brand new houses have nothing at all such as flooring for example. Furniture and flooring is fine you can find them on adverts, but does it come with a boiler, shower and toilets?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

NinjaRambo wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I am just wondering, if someone is given a brand new council house, does it come with toilets, sink and boiler? I heard brand new houses have nothing at all such as flooring for example. Furniture and flooring is fine but does it come with a boiler, shower and toilets?

Yes. Everything is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭NinjaRambo

Yes. Everything is free.

I don't mean that at all? I just want to know what comes with the house and what I should buy.

I don't mean that at all? I just want to know what comes with the house and what I should buy.

You'll get money for your furniture and appliances. 2500 i think.

Everything else comes with the house. Heating etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Bathroom are fitted as is heating.....

White goods/appliances will need to be purchased and the new tenant will be furnished with around €3k to do so.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I think the only thing it doesn't come with , is a cleaner and butler ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Idbatterim wrote: »

Thats what kids are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

White goods/appliances will need to be purchased and the new tenant will be furnished with around €3k to do so.....

3K... FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

MAY be granted up to about 3k, by the CWO, if it's needed.

Thank you everyone for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Idbatterim wrote: »

Ignore this poster has a penchant for giving absolutely no informational assistance at all and despises anyone in receipt of social assistance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It depends on the house if it's existing stock or a new build.
    Before I bought my present home, my family and I lived in a council house. It was a new build at the time. Central heating provided by a solid fuel boiler. Fitted kitchen and bathroom. Flooring ,furniture and appliances I paid for myself. The allowance mentioned here only applies to certain category of tenant.

It depends on the house if it's existing stock or a new build.
    Before I bought my present home, my family and I lived in a council house. It was a new build at the time. Central heating provided by a solid fuel boiler. Fitted kitchen and bathroom. Flooring ,furniture and appliances I paid for myself. The allowance mentioned here only applies to certain category of tenant.

So the cabinets in the kitchen will be already fitted, yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Yes, but appliances will be your responsibility unless you qualify for a payment to help with the essentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

Fully fitted out, central heating boiler & maybe a stove (although they might be moving away from stoves??)
    all you have to get are washing machine/fridge/cooker...kettle and a toaster, and there is grant for those if you have means below a certain threshold.

Thank you all so much for the replies. I highly appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Well when you mention a certain type of tenant does someone that has their own business and have good money coming in count?

I know of more then 2 people that were housed one an apartment where she worked as did he and they were given actually over €3k to buy appliances.

Another housed in new council housing and own business but she doesn't work as minding kids at home..... Again they were given the payment to buy....

Both of these are bringing in good money.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

I'm pretty sure the CWO means tests all applications for Exception Needs payments , it's not just dished out willy-nilly.
    If the applicant doesn't qualify they won't get it .

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

I'm pretty sure the CWO means tests all applications for Exception Needs payments , it's not just dished out willy-nilly.

I’m pretty sure you are wrong. Also if second hand, kitchen gets remodelled, no matter how good the existing units.

TSQ wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure you are wrong. Also if second hand, kitchen gets remodelled, no matter how good the existing units.

Incorrect re the kitchen. If its in good condition they wont remodel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

Incorrect re the kitchen. If its in good condition they wont remodel it.

I know for a fact that they will. I have seen the kitchen that was removed, only couple of years old, tenants had been in the house for years and kept it really well, did lots of upgrading. They were disgusted. It could have something to do with insurance, in case some grateful tenant decides to sue council for getting finger caught in door.

• Advertisement

+1 two doors down from me was purchased, lovely kitchen, lovely house in fact. All ripped out (even rewired) and renewed. Complete waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I was told by the council that the appliances/furniture grant is only given if the applicant is in receipt of a social welfare payment. But yeah, OP, it may not have floors but kitchen and bathroom will be fitted. Depending on the council, you may have to pay an extra €3 a week for boiler maintenance (it gets serviced once a year or if there any issues). This is Fingal's policy anyway.

Can anyone tell me, is the contract for a social house permanent or is not renewed every year?

Can anyone tell me, is the contract for a social house permanent or is not renewed every year?

AFAIK the lease is for life.

AFAIK the lease is for life.

How come they told me if they want to sell the house they will have to move me to a different accommodation

How come they told me if they want to sell the house they will have to move me to a different accommodation

Is it through the council or through a housing body?

Is it through the council or through a housing body?

It's through an Housing Body called Tuath.

It's through an Housing Body called Tuath.

No idea then sorry, someone will have the answer for you shortly I imagine.

No idea then sorry, someone will have the answer for you shortly I imagine.

No problem at all, thanks anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Your questions are likely to be answered in the Tuath Tenant Handbook.

Read page 10

When and How Can the Association Seek to
    Terminate the Tenancy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement