Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pandemic and alcohol..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭dmn22

I'd say I'm drinking 95% less. Without the pub and the craic with people it's just not enjoyable for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Consensus seems to be people drinking less and certainly less binge drinking.

It however doesn't stop the temperance movement bemoaning the 'Ocean of alcohol pouring into Irish homes' who in the same press release admitted in their own analysis of revenue data that the volume of alcohol consumed was down 6% last year. They are 'very disappointed' by a reduction? That's like the Road Safety Authority saying they are disappointed in a reduction in road deaths.

https://alcoholireland.ie/alcohol-consumption-data-2020-disappointing/

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/wine-sales-surge-in-past-year-amid-bar-and-restaurant-closures-1.4507455

Make no mistake, the do-gooders of the world will never stop and whilst prohibition is not going to be contemplated, watch out for campaigning to raise the minimum price in the near term - I'd guess within weeks of it's actual introduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What I am drinking has changed also, as well as drinking less but more often.
    I was never really one for cans at home but like a pint in a pub or at a gig.

At home, very little beer being drunk. Wine with dinner and a whiskey or mixed drink afterwards.
    More hot whiskeys, given the chilly winter.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Haven't had an alcoholic drink since the first weekend in December when restrictions were relaxed a little. ( Went to a local gastro pub for food and drinks). I don't drink at home. Missing the pub something awful, the Sunday afternoons watching the sport and enjoying some beautiful creamy pints of Guinness. And most of all the craic and chat with the regulars. I'll never take that for granted ever again that's for sure.
    Having that said, I've noticed some of my friends and their partners have definitely increased their drinking at home. Mainly at weekends, watching a movie or having a takeaway. The end result of the sheer boredom of lockdown I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭sporina

yes it would seem that while alcohol consumption is down at a population level, there are a lot of people drinking more at home - and I think that thats where the concern lies.. Tabor Lodge is apparently snowed under with people looking for help.. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭volono

This time last year, during the first lockdown it didn't really bother me at all. I was drinking but only now and again. Took up exercise, DIY around the house etc.. I was working then right thru to Xmas and as others have said I'm a pub drinker so when they where open I was going afew nights a week.
    This lockdown has been completely different. I'm not working and after seeing the family at Xmas, I had it really hard in January, basically unable to get out of bed.
    I actually don't know where the last 3 months of my life have gone. It all seems so pointless.
    I know I'm drinking way in excess of anything "normal" but I literally just can't get the motivation to rectify it.
    As an example, I didn't sleep well one of the nights last week, woke at 5am and was drinking by 6. I couldn't tell you how many I had, near a slab anyway.
    I've always liked a drink but never like this volume, I'm just suffering really badly with the whole situation at the minute and can't seem to "get it together" , I'm struggling daily tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

I would say probably drinking more - definitely drinking more often!

Was drinking almost every night for a while, as basically there was nothing else to do and not driving to work this next day.

Took a bit of a time out, and and went stayed with my bubble for about a week, where i took more exercise and spent a lot of time out and about in nature and only had an odd glass of wine. The change in routine made a difference to my outlook - i had been feeling very down and the alcohol wasn't helping my moods..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

volono wrote: »
    This time last year, during the first lockdown it didn't really bother me at all. I was drinking but only now and again. Took up exercise, DIY around the house etc.. I was working then right thru to Xmas and as others have said I'm a pub drinker so when they where open I was going afew nights a week.
    This lockdown has been completely different. I'm not working and after seeing the family at Xmas, I had it really hard in January, basically unable to get out of bed.
    I actually don't know where the last 3 months of my life have gone. It all seems so pointless.
    I know I'm drinking way in excess of anything "normal" but I literally just can't get the motivation to rectify it.
    As an example, I didn't sleep well one of the nights last week, woke at 5am and was drinking by 6. I couldn't tell you how many I had, near a slab anyway.
    I've always liked a drink but never like this volume, I'm just suffering really badly with the whole situation at the minute and can't seem to "get it together" , I'm struggling daily tbf.

Hang in there man, it's tough but this will eventually end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I've been on and off the wagon now since the start of lockdown and every time I get back on up there, the fall is much harder the next time. I find that when I'm in a slump like you've described, I'm drinking because I'm down and I didn't know it at the start, but the drink was a big reason why I was down. The stuff does odd things to the head over time, the brain doesn't give you the reward it usually would for doing the normally enjoyable things in life because it's craving the alcohol, so you end up in a constant state of dullness and depression, until you drink again. The only way out of that state is to break the negative loop that's caused by the alcohol but it's no easy task, especially now. I read a book call This Naked Mind and it really shed some light on why I might be drinking, I'd highly recommend it. All I can say is don't be hard on yourself and if you can, take each day as it comes. I visited my GP too, which took a weight off my shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Gave it up for Jan, and off it now again until exams are finished in a few weeks. Feel so much better without it and get a lot more done in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

drinking a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭sporina

Gosh I am sorry to hear that.. maybe get in touch with your GP/call a help line or something.. its a v tough time.. go easy on yourself... but would be great if you could get some help.. things will get better Covid wise - your job will be available again - and when it is, you wanna be able to go back to it.. x

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I've been on and off the wagon now since the start of lockdown and every time I get back on up there, the fall is much harder the next time. I find that when I'm in a slump like you've described, I'm drinking because I'm down and I didn't know it at the start, but the drink was a big reason why I was down. The stuff does odd things to the head over time, the brain doesn't give you the reward it usually would for doing the normally enjoyable things in life because it's craving the alcohol, so you end up in a constant state of dullness and depression, until you drink again. The only way out of that state is to break the negative loop that's caused by the alcohol but it's no easy task, especially now. I read a book call This Naked Mind and it really shed some light on why I might be drinking, I'd highly recommend it. All I can say is don't be hard on yourself and if you can, take each day as it comes. I visited my GP too, which took a weight off my shoulders.

Thanks for the reply,
    I can definitely see the link between the two. I've had a lot of time to think since the lockdown about it tbf. Looking at it , maybe I've always drank a little too excessively. Nothing too extreme, like most people , maybe have afew during the week. Always enjoyed the few on Fridays after work. Then Saturdays, getting out early, then maybe a restaurant, drinks after etc.
    But putting it together, it probably was excessive.
    It's a combination of things atm. I'm single again, I've no job to go back to when this lockdown eventually does end, etc etc. I don't know enough about what depression is, feels like, should feel like but know Im not myself really.
    I'm not bothering to shower, shave at times. Can't believe I'm even saying that. Trouble is , there is no normal atm. I'm drinking now while typing this. Sorry for ranting on, I know what I have to do, I'll pull myself out of it. I know I can't keep it up. Like you said, logically you know it's a negative but you keep drinking, it's a spiral. I'll have a look at the book, thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

It’s very easy to get into this cycle but not looking after personal hygiene is a warning sign. Do try to address it sooner rather than later. There are things you can do now to address the job situation. ( I’m unemployed too and just started a six week course) a bit of structure can definitely help. Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Drinking a lot more and 100% related to the lockdown, I drank a lot less when the pubs were open, as I liked to just sit back and relax there and didn't have a near endless supply like I do at home.

Pretty much I take one day a week off drinking then have at least two or three a night. It relaxes me and allows me to chill when otherwise I get incredibly frustrated and angry at the whole situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,605 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Over the course of the year I would have drink less overall, but probably more frequently.

I have had some periods of sobriety with a big uptake in exercise parallel to that, which was a lot easier during the bright summer months. But since October and the 6 months of lockdown and dark evenings etc, it's a lot harder so often find myself having a couple drinks on a Saturday or Sunday night just to try and make it feel like a weekend as currently WFH & lockdown makes the days just merge into one. There is nothing else to distinguish the days apart.

I wouldn't be a big house drinker anyways, much prefer a pub. I go the pub for the chat & craic really, not the drink. Pre-pandemic, I would probably go to the pub 1 or 2 days every other weekend having 10 pints each visit, whereas now it's more 6 bottles if there is something good on the TV or a decent bit of sport on.

Spirits consumption is nearly wiped out, can't really justify opening them at home for one person to drink it and having mixers going stale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

The absence of gym and group exercise means I am drinking more often. If I'd a class or training the next day I wouldn't drink. I hope some sensible decision is made next week allowing people willing to follow the rules a bit more freedom.

fits wrote: »
    It’s very easy to get into this cycle but not looking after personal hygiene is a warning sign. Do try to address it sooner rather than later. There are things you can do now to address the job situation. ( I’m unemployed too and just started a six week course) a bit of structure can definitely help. Take care.

Well more a sign of being that hungover you can't be bothered, which no matter how bad of a night it was previously over the years I always had something to do the next day regardless so you just got up , ready and out etc. I'm trying to organise the job situation , hopefully shouldn't be too long after lockdown for it to be sorted out. The structure part is massive tbf. . I wasn't even sure what day it was this morning. It's just been one long blur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Drinking a lot more and 100% related to the lockdown, I drank a lot less when the pubs were open, as I liked to just sit back and relax there and didn't have a near endless supply like I do at home.

Pretty much I take one day a week off drinking then have at least two or three a night. It relaxes me and allows me to chill when otherwise I get incredibly frustrated and angry at the whole situation.

Exercise works wonders for reliving frustration

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Hooked

THIS. IS. ME. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Really sorry to hear some of the stories above. I am not a heavy drinker but I'm really starting to struggle with this most recent lockdown. I understand the reason why we need it, but in all fairness I haven't seen my now elderly parents since Christmas, which was very brief and outdoors on Christmas eve. I've found the last few months really hard.
    I am no counsellor. But I would say if you can, try to have structure to your day. Get up and get out of the house, try to eat healthy food, if you have a garden - take on a small project to weed it. Or paint that room you've been meaning to. Find an online cooking lesson. Pick up that old instrument. Anything to keep busy.
    I have 100% found that my exercise routine has helped with the lockdown - exercising is something I do enjoy admittedly, but try a couch to 5k or something if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

dmn22 wrote: »
    I'd say I'm drinking 95% less. Without the pub and the craic with people it's just not enjoyable for me.

Same. I dont enjoy drinking at home. I'd say I have had 12 beers since March 2020. Mad really.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

As one of the other posters have said try and get out for a bit of exercise if ye can.

I exercise regularly anyway a bit of cycling and a lot of trail/hill running but i took a tumble before Christmas out running through the forest and damaged my hip.

That meant i was out of action for all of January and most of February and turned into a contrary a-hole to be quite honest for the want of being outside and getting a bit of exercise.

Genuinely feel so much more content now im back at it. Stick the headphones in, get yourself a couple of podcasts cos ye cant bloody escape Coronavirus anywhere in the media here and get out, ye will fell better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Drinking way less than usual, not a big drinker at home on my own, I prefer some beers when the atmosphere or company is good. A lot fitter though, using the time I would use to commute to work for exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

I don't drink often as it was but even less now because I'd only drink socially. I can think of 5 occasions since last March, but I'd never think to have drinks on my own in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Drinking more frequently but less volume spaced out. I buy an 8 pack of cans on a Friday on my way home from work. One can a night and 2 on a Saturday.

I'm up for work at 0545 Monday-Friday, get home around 1900. On average it's around 2115 when I get to sit down and relax with herself and watch some tv. I have my beer then.

I don't think this is excessive. Before lockdown part 1 I would have had 5-6 pints on a Friday night and then a few cans during the week. There's just something nice about having a can of the black stuff sprawled out on the couch. I find it very hard to drink lager at home for some reason, wheras if in the pub it's lager all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Nua

I second the recommendation for Annie Grace's book/podcast 'This Naked Mind' - it's not preachy or holier than thou . . . just suggests sensible ways of changing how you think about drinking, or flips how you think drinking solves your boredom etc. Really helped me over the last year anyhow so hope it might be of use to anyone feeling stuck in a booze rut

Drinking more frequently but less volume spaced out. I buy an 8 pack of cans on a Friday on my way home from work. One can a night and 2 on a Saturday.

I'm up for work at 0545 Monday-Friday, get home around 1900. On average it's around 2115 when I get to sit down and relax with herself and watch some tv. I have my beer then.

I don't think this is excessive. Before lockdown part 1 I would have had 5-6 pints on a Friday night and then a few cans during the week. There's just something nice about having a can of the black stuff sprawled out on the couch. I find it very hard to drink lager at home for some reason, wheras if in the pub it's lager all the way.

Glad to hear this, good on you biscuits. Can appreciate the relaxing part. It's all relative to people I suppose but not to sound too facetious, a can?. I'd use more when I'm cooking certain recipes, bottle of red wine etc. You've not been drinking at all really, wouldn't give it a second thought. Great that your busy working , like another poster said, structure means a lot I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Glad to hear this, good on you biscuits. Can appreciate the relaxing part. It's all relative to people I suppose but not to sound too facetious, a can?. I'd use more when I'm cooking certain recipes, bottle of red wine etc. You've not been drinking at all really, wouldn't give it a second thought. Great that your busy working , like another poster said, structure means a lot I feel.

Thanks, 2 cans would have me tipsy believe it or not. I'm know I'm lucky to have been working through this whole thing.

I'm still struggling as I can't get home to visit my family at all as it's they're at the other end of the country. Missed Christmas, missing Easter unless things change which I doubt. The kids haven't been at my homeplace in over a year and are steady looking to go. As soon as I can go up the road I'm gone!

• Advertisement

Thanks, 2 cans would have me tipsy believe it or not. I'm know I'm lucky to have been working through this whole thing.

I'm still struggling as I can't get home to visit my family at all as it's they're at the other end of the country. Missed Christmas, missing Easter unless things change which I doubt. The kids haven't been at my homeplace in over a year and are steady looking to go. As soon as I can go up the road I'm gone!

Yeah good on ya , tbf I'm not, never was really , could always enjoy afew...if only at this stage . Anyhow you focus on that, u and yours, the kids etc. It sounds good. Seems like you have it in a positive place , ya know. Even with the Covid sh**te. It's a disaster for us all tbf. Didn't want to come across like I'm denigrating you, ya know.

Advertisement