Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pandemic and alcohol..

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

ShyMets wrote: »
    Exercise works wonders for reliving frustration

Thats true. Unfortunately for a lot of people their source of exercise has been turned off and the alternatives are not appealing.
    No gyms, no workout classes like Zumba, no team sports, no hiking or sea swimming if not near those amenities, no Golf, no Tennis etc etc...There is only so many online classes one can do in the living room or walk/run on same streets. I'm making up for lack of enjoyable exercise with jogging but bored off my nuts (need gym and team sports personally). Easy to see how people turn to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm drinking more frequently but the amount I'm drinking on a weekly basis has dropped, no big nights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I drank seven nights a week at the start of the first lockdown, eventually I got bored of it and just drink at the weekends now. Didn't help that I got coronavirus and now alcohol has less effect for some reason, so drinking more is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I drank seven nights a week at the start of the first lockdown, eventually I got bored of it and just drink at the weekends now. Didn't help that I got coronavirus and now alcohol has less effect for some reason, so drinking more is pointless.

Wait....what? If you have had Covid it's harder for you to get drunk after.
    Christ...get me that vaccine quick LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I’m probably drinking the same amount but I’m walking a lot more so they kind of cancel each other out weight wise haha. I’ve been a big drinker for a long time as a coping mechanism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Theres 9 of us close friends on a whatsapp group so we keep in touch and have a fair idea what we are up to drinking wise. 9 men, late 30s early 40s. All except 1 would have been regular weekend pub goers and 2 of the 9 would have drank at home quite a bit.

2 lads built bars in sheds, great jobs, and use it quite regularly. 1 drinks in it every day, on his own or with people, the other only when someone else is there.

Myself and another 3 lads don't drink at home at all so we've cut out alcohol almost completely except for the odd trip to the shed bars over last year. But our consumption is about 10% or so of what it was last year.

The 2 lads that were home drinkers, 1 has kept up his occasional drink at home and the other has increased it hugely, drinking most nights.

1 lad that never drank at home is now drinking lots at home too, cans of Guinness every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Last pint was on the 7th March last year at my Mother-In-Laws 80th.
    Since then I had one bottle of beer (half of which went down the sink having gone warm) and one glass of wine with my Christmas dinner.
    I love my nights out in the pub but have zero desire to drink at home, just does nothing for me.
    Mrs has a bottle of wine at the weekends but I'd have no interest in joining her.

I'm seriously looking forward to a night on the lash at this stage - probably be falling back in the door after two pints though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

During lockdown I'm drinking more spirits, less larger, minimal stout (1 guinness so far in 2021) and about the same in wine 2-3glasses with meals 3-4 times a weak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

I believe that the spirits in moderation have a therapeutic antiviral effect!

Lager I associate with good times gigs, parties, events, races...

Wine just tastes great with food. Today some red with cassoulet.

At this time in life I couldnt give any of these up although I could cut down moderate on request...

Advertisement