Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living at home again - My mother seems to hate me

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Dad's back working a full day today and my Mam's patient, empathetic tone of yesterday is gone, as well the idea of me having my own space.

I was forced to run to the kitchen because she had decided to cook one of my dishes, which she often saw me cook, and she didn't know how to finish it. Normally I'd do all the cooking, in my own time, if it was my dish. So I finished off the cooking, with her next to me the whole time, telling stories. The meat was pretty much done before there were a chance to put on the rice, so it took a while. She then sat next to me talking, smoking and showing me her phone, nearly the whole time, as I ate. Never had this happened before.

Earlier in the morning, she had come upstairs with the radio and left it playing loudly near my room where I was studying, while she went downstairs for 20+ mins, where she probably wouldn't be able to hear it clearly from. Again, this is new behaviour.

She came across as lovely yesterday together with me and Dad, but this today is a contrast. I'm ready to take snoopboggybog's suggestion of getting away whenever is possible. Not sure I can wait much longer.

How can I get along with her until the time comes that I can fly away to safety? Feels like this needs an emergency stop. I honestly don't feel ill myself, just worn out a bit from this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I'm posting unreg for a number of reasons.

It is very very strange that you would consider something like this to contain a hidden message. It is quite probably a sign that your mind is not functioning normally. I think you know yourself that you're not seeing things as they really are or you wouldn't be asking these questions.

Here's what I think is happening: Your mother can see you're in difficulty and is worried about you. Her attention is annoying you but she's trying to help. She's not able to help because she doesn't understand what's going on and because you are imagining that she's sending you secret messages.

You need to see a GP. Don't downplay any of this, explain that you believe that people close to you are sending you hidden messages and you believe your mother hates you.

Hey OP - I would advise to read the above and take it on board.

When I read your first post I thought that it was your mother being controlling of you... as the posts have gone on, it reads more like you might have some mental health issues that c

The messages, the nail clippings, etc

I have a friend who as bipolar and some of the things that you have mentioned wouldn't be too dissimilar to the things he says when he is going through an manic episode.

Is it possible that your mother wanted you home because she or others had noticed that you weren't yourself / were acting strange...…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I can fly away to safety?

Are you feeling unsafe?

OP, try reading last nights post with the perspective of an outsider. Your mum just found a way to try and spend time with you - asking to cook together and keeping you company while you ate. Maybe that's not something that happens, but why do you feel its cause for alarm? If you thought she wanted to spend time with you, wouldn't it just look like this? Please try to take a step back and consider carefully the advice posters have given re. Mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Hey OP - I would advise to read the above and take it on board.

When I read your first post I thought that it was your mother being controlling of you... as the posts have gone on, it reads more like you might have some mental health issues that c

The messages, the nail clippings, etc

I have a friend who as bipolar and some of the things that you have mentioned wouldn't be too dissimilar to the things he says when he is going through an manic episode.

Is it possible that your mother wanted you home because she or others had noticed that you weren't yourself / were acting strange...…

I was the same about your first post OP, as I’m all too familiar with a controlling parent. But as your posts went on, I think to myself that it sounded as though you or your mother were having mental health difficulties. And tbh the more you post, I felt it might be you.

I’m not a doctor. I’m not trying to diagnose. But - and I mean this with every sympathy for how you’re feeling, and no judgment of you - I think you need to speak to a medical professional.

• Advertisement

Reading the replies in this thread does make me question myself a bit so I will get myself checked out. Thanks for suggesting this in the way you've done.

To me, my mother is still a remarkably different person when alone with me, compared with my Dad and me all together.
    zoobizoo wrote: »
    Are you feeling unsafe?

I'm honestly worried that my mother is out to smear me in my Dad's eyes. After all, I told Dad that I felt she was deliberately making life difficult for me in a calculated way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Mod note:

OP I have not approved your last post because the events you have described are quite specific and if someone who knows you reads it then it could identify you to them.

I am going to lock this thread as I don't believe PI can be of any further help to you. As other posters have said, I would strongly encourage you to continue to engage with your GP and psychiatrist about this. I am concerned for your mental health because it appears from your posts that you do not believe there is anything wrong with you, even though your thought processes do not come across as healthy. Please realise that your parents are trying to help you, and continue to engage with your GP and the psychiatrist.

Take care OP. Thanks & GRMA all who posted.

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement