Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee equipment upgrade thoughts

Options
  • 19-04-2020 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

I'm looking for a bit of advice here. Current set up is a French press, which I am a big fan of, and also a old Nespresso machine for convenience. I use a grinder for the French press, not a Burr grinder though…and have been getting my beans from Coffee Angel and Cloudpicker.

All this time at home has made me drink LOTS of coffee, and plot my next purchase.

So the options are either invest in a bean to cup machine. Sage barista seems to be well recommended. But I've read some mixed reviews about the grinder, and it's pricey. Any other recommendations here?

The other option is to get a filter machine - have read some good reviews on the Wilfa Svart Classic, and invest in a new Nespresso. Any thoughts on this or other filter machines?

None of us in the house drink latte, cappuccino, etc.

So, question to the boardies….if you were in my shoes where would go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

barrac wrote: »
    I'm looking for a bit of advice here. Current set up is a French press, which I am a big fan of, and also a old Nespresso machine for convenience. I use a grinder for the French press, not a Burr grinder though…and have been getting my beans from Coffee Angel and Cloudpicker.

All this time at home has made me drink LOTS of coffee, and plot my next purchase.

So the options are either invest in a bean to cup machine. Sage barista seems to be well recommended. But I've read some mixed reviews about the grinder, and it's pricey. Any other recommendations here?

The other option is to get a filter machine - have read some good reviews on the Wilfa Svart Classic, and invest in a new Nespresso. Any thoughts on this or other filter machines?

None of us in the house drink latte, cappuccino, etc.

So, question to the boardies….if you were in my shoes where would go?

If you don't drink espresso or espresso based drinks a bean to cup machine wouldn't be a good option.

If you enjoy French press continue drinking it. Consider refining your method, James Hoffman's method produces great results: https://youtu.be/st571DYYTR8

Otherwise buying a quality grinder will be the fastest way to improve your cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Tabby McTat

If you don't drink espresso or espresso based drinks a bean to cup machine wouldn't be a good option.

If you enjoy French press continue drinking it. Consider refining your method, James Hoffman's method produces great results: https://youtu.be/st571DYYTR8

Otherwise buying a quality grinder will be the fastest way to improve your cup.

So I do drink espresso / Americano always when I'm out. Just nothing involving milk!

I've tried the Hoffman method a few times. I would say a subtle improvement on the regular french press I brew...may be missing a trick with it.

Would the grinder really make that much of a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

A good burr grinder is an investment that elevates your coffee brewing to the next level. It really is night and day. I own a Baratza Virtuoso which I paid about 200 quid for. I waited for around a year before biting the bullet and I wish I'd bought it sooner. If you're ever looking to start brewing pour over coffee it is essential. Uniformity in grind size gives you a more balanced and consistent cup.

French press is a bit forgiving as a brewing mechanism as long as you keep the beans fairly coarse you'll get a smooth enough cup.

Generally, speciality coffee shops use the moccamaster for batch brewing filter coffee which might be more suitable if you couldn't be bothered doing a manual brew yourself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think a good grinder would be a good investment, then continue with the french press or try other methods such as the Aeropress, V60, Chemex, Kalita Wave etc.

All fairly cheap to get up and running with as long as you have a decent grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭BarryNumber1

Invest in a good grinder and good beans first.

Baratza encore is a good grinder, and the company itself is good for cheap spares... but you’ll go a long time without having to do anything. That or an equivalent hand grinder will make your V60s, Aeropresses way better. For machines... the Moccamaster is an incredible device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Akula

Bean to cup all the way. But if you want total convenience the sage ones are still a bit manual. I’ve used both a delonghi and a Melitta at different points and loved them both.

I use a v60 whenever I have time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

get an electric Burr Grinder. I'll second the Baratza Encore as it's what I use for Espresso, Moka Pot, Aeropress, v60, French Press brewing.

If you don't have one, get an Aeropress, they are relatively cheap (30-35 euro) and make a consistently great cup, especially if you've a decent grinder, but I've gotten good results from pre-ground coffee too.

Ditch the nespresso. And don't even think about buying another one.

Nice one. Thanks for the responses all. I feel like I've opened a rabbit hole!

Let's say I go with a filter machine...how would the brewed coffee compare to a French press taste wise?

Also, would a Burr grinder really make that much of a difference to my French Press? At the moment I use good quality beans, weigh out the amount, and measure the brew time also. Maybe the grinder is the only thing I need for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Akula

It will be similar.

I have a moccamaster and it is brilliant for making a big pot. But I find it just doesn’t work well for 1-2 cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Aeropress is amazing.
    Use 60g to a litre when making coffee, the golden ratio!

• Advertisement

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Aeropress is amazing.
    Use 60g to a litre when making coffee, the golden ratio!

:pac:

It certainly depends on the coffee.

Also, do you mean the volume of water going into the aeropress, or the volume of the final cup? I can't get enough water into the aeropress to fill my largest mug, so I add water post-brew.

Aeropress holds 250ml so use 15g.
    If your doing a french press and only want 500ml use 30g etc.

You say it depends on the ground coffee your using, Id say the grind, whether you stir it, how long it brews are things to consider.

it also depends on the type of coffee, the roast. limiting yourself to a 60g/l ratio is insane to me. i often find with lighter roasts that going a bit below 60g/l can often allow some of the more subtle flavours to shine through.

experiment!

How much of a difference will I notice with a Burr grinder for my French press. Currently have a krups blade grinder. Are we talking marginal gains here, or is it a different cup of coffee?

it also depends on the type of coffee, the roast. limiting yourself to a 60g/l ratio is insane to me. i often find with lighter roasts that going a bit below 60g/l can often allow some of the more subtle flavours to shine through.

experiment!

You should try not adding water after you brew a cup, it really unlocks all the subtle flavours coffee has to offer!:)

i mean you are speaking to me as if i'm some simpleton and you are james hoffman so i'd prefer you didn't do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

If you get a burr grinder your cup will be more evenly balanced. When you use a blade grinder you get way more variation in particle size and shape. It's a mix oversized and undersized particles which add sour/bitter notes due to under/overextraction. You should buy a bag of coffee and ask them to pre grind it coarse for French press. It'll lose some of the brighter notes as it's not freshly ground but the body itself will largely remain intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,699 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Good burr grinder, be it electric like the Baratza Encore or Sage Smart Grinder, or a hand grinder like one of the 1ZPresso ones from Bella Barista in the UK or a Made By Knock Aerspeed/Aergrind will make a world of difference to your existing French Press, especially if you're buying decent beans like you have been.

Add the likes of a V60 or a Kalita Wave to change it up from time to time possibly, both are fairly cheap (particularly the plastic V60s).

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭cw girl

Similar question to barrac re equipment upgrade that I’ll put here rather than creating a new thread.

I have a Porlex grinder & had been using a french press which I smashed a few days ago so I’m using an aero press now. (Don’t know why I hadn’t been using before now as it’s so much more convenient to clean!)

Have been thinking about getting a grinder - to be honest I’ve researched a little but not sure what’s the best option. I had seen some good reviews on the Wilfa Svart but I do have a voucher so I can stretch to something more expensive. Any thoughts on vario mahlkoni grinder?

Any advice appreciated - I drink americanos only and imagine I’ll be drinking them at home for a while yet! Thanks

Advertisement