Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most miserable and grim towns and villages in Ireland

1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Most of Co Roscomon is very grim, you could add in parts of east Mayo and Galway too. The epicenter of grimness in that region has to be anything in the eircode F45 it has the lowest property value in Ireland along with one of the hghest unemployment rates in the country. The main town in F45 eircode area is Ballaghaderreen. It was nothing but boarded up and closed down shops. I genuinely feel sorry for the refugees who are sent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

The Nal wrote: »
    I wonder how many towns in Ireland are just, pub, church, Gala or a Daybreak and some weird fashion shop. Must hundreds and hundreds

Plus the abandoned garage/petrol station with a few pumps encrusted in rust and their mechanical innards hanging out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

There are far too many Local Authorities all doing the same thing for such a small country.

This county line division is BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Decided to take the family on a holiday to Doolin, in Clare, for a few days.

Had the “misfortune” of stopping off in Borris-in-Ossary when one of the sprats needed a bathroom. Not a place I would like to be once the sun goes down.

Further on up the road we made the mistake of stopping into that ‘Obama Plaza’. The venue, itself, is fine. It’s got parking, petrol, toilets, shop and food. The “issue” is that it is staffed, mostly, with, what I can only describe as, “slug people”.

I got a meal at ‘Supermacs’, a simple order they managed to get wrong. There was a woman in front of me with a much larger order who had to come back to the counter 3 times. She was trying to act like it was fine but you could tell she was, clearly, fit to burst. I noticed a couple of other angry heads heading for the counter while I ate.

They also had special signs on all the tables ‘cleaned and sanitised’, or something to that effect. Not sure what they were sanitising with, a cloth and drool would be my, best, guess.

The employees tasked with this job didn’t seem too “enamoured” with it but I was just thankful they weren’t anywhere near the food.

Once we put that place in the rear view mirror everything was fine. Don’t remember any other place standing out for any special “mention”. Did find it odd seeing a sign for no horse and carts on the motorway though. You don’t see that in Dublin.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

^^^

1391664573-Naamloos-2.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

There are far too many Local Authorities all doing the same thing for such a small country.

This county line division is BS.

I used to see Waterford and kilkenny side by side. I would see the Politician working very hard in kilkenny while in Waterford, I thought John Halligan was the only one working.

Carrick is in 3 counties,none of which want it

2 counties? Waterford and Tipp? The Kilkenny border is a good mile before the concrete jungle (Ballylynch).

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭chosen1

Once we put that place in the rear view mirror everything was fine. Don’t remember any other place standing out for any special “mention”. Did find it odd seeing a sign for no horse and carts on the motorway though. You don’t see that in Dublin.

I recon those signs were created especially for Limerick. I went to college there and it was unbelievable the amount of sulkys you'd see on the road daily. Half the traffic holdups were directly because of them.

Have some recollection of seeing the same sign near the Jack Lynch tunnel in Cork but could be imagining that.

2 counties? Waterford and Tipp? The Kilkenny border is a good mile before the concrete jungle (Ballylynch).

Waterford essentially ends at the bridge afaik,prefer to be known as carrickbeg......drinks in the clinic or walls on match night is where its at

Though carrick also.famously holds one of bitterest rivilaries in sport too....davins and swans

• Advertisement

Though carrick also.famously holds one of bitterest rivilaries in sport too....davins and swans

A bit like two skin heads fighting over a comb? Nobody cares.

In all fairness to Michael Lowry, he was an awful bollock but he got stuff done like the Institute of Technology and plenty of MNCs for Clonmel ...... carrick on suir? not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Aurelian

Decided to take the family on a holiday to Doolin, in Clare, for a few days.

Had the “misfortune” of stopping off in Borris-in-Ossary when one of the sprats needed a bathroom. Not a place I would like to be once the sun goes down

Just a town that's too small to have much going on in it and unfortunately has the eyesore of the closed hotel. It's only 10 minutes from a couple of bigger towns with supermarkets, schools etc so it doesn't really need/ can't sustain much beyond a small shop or two.

In short there's nothing remotely sinister about Borris other than it's a bit dead and like most Irish towns, isnt exactly pretty.

There can be a weird Orientalism in this thread.

L1011 wrote: »
    Tipp being split in to two counties for a hundred+ years and then merged rather rapidly has lead to "issues" with how its run, to put it mildly
    Like what?

Reunification has gone swimmingly. We are a blueprint for a United Ireland. We had cultural integration for years with Tipp FM and the GAA. Lots of us had relatives on the other side of the demarcation line. Political union has been a success.
    A bit like two skin heads fighting over a comb? Nobody cares.

In all fairness to Michael Lowry, he was an awful bollock but he got stuff done like the Institute of Technology and plenty of MNCs for Clonmel ...... carrick on suir? not so much.
    Michael Lowry has been an ineffective politician since he forced to resign in 1996. He has almost no political influence.

Here is how Michael Lowry has developed a reputation for getting things done. He has maintained a fantastic network inside the civil service of various departments, who will tip him off about big announcements for the area. He will then announce these on Tipp FM, the Nenagh Guardian, or other local media. Or he'll write.to constituents about his "achievement" for them.

It used to drive some of the other TDs in the constituency mad. He'd be announcing things which Government-party TDs wouldn't even know about yet.

chosen1 wrote: »
    I recon those signs were created especially for Limerick. I went to college there and it was unbelievable the amount of sulkys you'd see on the road daily. Half the traffic holdups were directly because of them.

Have some recollection of seeing the same sign near the Jack Lynch tunnel in Cork but could be imagining that.

Could do with a few of those signs in west Dublin anyway.

Aurelian wrote: »
    Just a town that's too small to have much going on in it and unfortunately has the eyesore of the closed hotel. It's only 10 minutes from a couple of bigger towns with supermarkets, schools etc so it doesn't really need/ can't sustain much beyond a small shop or two.

In short there's nothing remotely sinister about Borris other than it's a bit dead and like most Irish towns, isnt exactly pretty.

There can be a weird Orientalism in this thread.

You mean “Orientalism”.

Advertisement