Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prospective Landlord Requesting Payslip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Requesting a pay slip is used to determine HAP status of a prospective tenant.

It allows a landlord to circumvent the law that says they may not discriminate against HAP tenants.

You are reaching. A HAP tenant can just inform the property owner, it would be illegal to discriminate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Dav010 wrote: »
    You are reaching. A HAP tenant can just inform the property owner, it would be illegal to discriminate.

No valid reason to ask for pay slip other than to determine if the tenant is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

An alternative to showing your pay-slip is to request a Statement of Earnings from your employer, printed on company's headed paper.
    This will still show the landlord the gross earnings of the prospective tenant, but hides other details such as tax credits and pps number.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    No valid reason to ask for pay slip other than to determine if the tenant is working.

Apart from being able to afford the rent? A HAP tenant can inform the LL that they will confirm HAP eligibility. HAP tenants also have to be able to pay the LA and any top up on HAP payment. Again, it would be illegal for the LL to discriminate so I don’t see your issue with HAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The PPS number is required anyway, for registration of tenancy.

As a landlord, I have not requested a payslip, but I have requested evidence that they are employed (a letter from the employer does fine), and a reference from a previous landlord to indicate they paid the rent in a timely manner. I didn't request that from everyone viewing the property though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

rosmoke wrote: »
    I would laugh, this has to be a joke?
    My contract and salary are confidential and will remain this way.
    A reference and deposit should be more than enough.
    And having lived in other countries in Europe this is not normal contrary to what someone else mentioned, at least from what I experienced.

Laugh away, while someone else gets the apt you want. I suppose you object to bank demanding proof of income / ability to make payments when applying for a mortgage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

pwurple wrote: »
    I didn't request that from everyone viewing the property though!

I think that's the most relevant part pwurple.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

noodler wrote: »
    Give a bank statement with everything redacted apart from the weekly, fortnightly, monthly pay coming in.

I would want proof of means as well

Last three landlords required it.

I think this is more reasonable but surely showing the previous rent payments going out and a statement to say you're employed would be better than disclosing your pay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

Its a payslip, not your deepest darkest secret.

A LL wants to make sure the email you sent saying you are a working professional with a decent salary, is actually true. What do you think the LL will do with the payslip if he does see it?

Redacting information or offering an alternative that you think is "reasonable" just suggests you have something to hide.

Its wrong for the LL to ask before a viewing, but once asked, I'd just show the payslip and move on with life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

DubCount wrote: »
    Its wrong for the LL to ask before a viewing, but once asked, I'd just show the payslip and move on with life.

Or report the LL to the Data Protection Commissioner so they don't do this again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

NuMarvel wrote: »
    Or report the LL to the Data Protection Commissioner so they don't do this again.

I’m going to view the apartment tomorrow & I just sent him the proof of employment & payslip because the fact of the matter is I’m sleeping in my mams box room having had a nightmare experience house sharing & I desperately need my own space. I’ve sent a few emails to estate agents to view other apartments & heard nothing back.

So honestly I kinda have to dance to this guys tune.

Whatever floats your boat.

I'm not sure how a report to the Data Protection Commission will help OP. Teaching the LL a lesson will not help OP. It may benefit society. It just does so while someone else lives in the LLs property.

MissyN wrote: »
    I’m going to view the apartment tomorrow & I just sent him the proof of employment & payslip because the fact of the matter is I’m sleeping in my mams box room having had a nightmare experience house sharing & I desperately need my own space. I’ve sent a few emails to estate agents to view other apartments & heard nothing back.

So honestly I kinda have to dance to this guys tune.

I completely understand where you're coming from. Best of luck with the viewing!
    Whatever floats your boat.

I'm not sure how a report to the Data Protection Commission will help OP. Teaching the LL a lesson will not help OP. It may benefit society. It just does so while someone else lives in the LLs property.

You said yourself that it's wrong of the LL to ask for this, so what would you suggest instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

if You are living in a box room and you have no reference then what else would a landlord be looking for? They want to make sure you are stable financially and want to know a bit about you and how you manage your finances.
    After being burnt by not asking for this information I now always ask for proof of income, bank statement payslip. If you don’t like it I see someone has something to hide and move onto the next one. You could be the best tenant But you could loose a lovely property. Just show the information. They don’t have to make a copy. Also most recent references I now take with a pitch of salt. The risk of getting a bad tenant and the lack of support for good landlords makes you want to be extra careful.

I completely understand where you're coming from. Best of luck with the viewing!

You said yourself that it's wrong of the LL to ask for this, so what would you suggest instead?

There is no instead if that is the minimum requirement set by a property owner.

Their ball,there game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's a bit risky for a landlord to ask for a payslip, as it could easily lead to a discrimination case against HAP applicants. A landlord would have to ask for either payslip or equivalent proof of ability to pay rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

On what basis do you suggest reporting to the DPC?

I'm guessing on the basis the landlord is ignoring the DPC advice about what information to collect at what stages of the letting process.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

Its a payslip, not your deepest darkest secret.

Redacting information or offering an alternative that you think is "reasonable" just suggests you have something to hide.

Out of interest, what types of information would you consider private, if not personal finances?

Maybe medical history? But your medical history is likely to be openly discussed with your family, your close friends, GP, hospitals, heath insurance company, pension/life assurance company, maybe the revenue commissioners.

Come to think of it, wouldn't medical history be of interest to a potential landlord? In case there are underlying conditions that might prevent the tenant from working and being able to pay rent?

Having "something to hide" could be applied to any type of information.

tjhook wrote: »
    Out of interest, what types of information would you consider private, if not personal finances?

Maybe medical history? But your medical history is likely to be openly discussed with your family, your close friends, GP, hospitals, heath insurance company, pension/life assurance company, maybe the revenue commissioners.

Come to think of it, wouldn't medical history be of interest to a potential landlord? In case there are underlying conditions that might prevent the tenant from working and being able to pay rent?

Having "something to hide" line could be applied to any type of information.

Entering a lease is a financial transaction. Providing financial information is appropriate. Providing a payslip as proof of income, demonstrates capacity to fulfil the financial obligations of the lease and an income stream which can be chased if the financial obligations are not met or you trash the property.

Asking for this before a viewing is not the way I would go about it, but I would expect some financial information (e.g. bank statements and/or payslips) to show financial capacity to the LL prior to entering the lease.

I've never heard of a LL asking for medical information. Why would a LL be interested? The LL in this case is not trying to extract personal information for some kind of weird gratification - he/she is only trying to protect what is probably their biggest investment.

Providing information is down to the individual. When you refuse what is asked for, its likely to be interpreted as having something to hide. That's human nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭rodDaly69

Poor form. I had a landlord ask me for my bank statements prior to a viewing!

Funilly enough I didn't bother going for a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

rodDaly69 wrote: »

I spoke to my previous LL about this & he said that LL & estate agents don’t want to waste their time with multiple viewings so they often ask for the info upfront as they get so many applicants.

And this guy is coming from Limerick to do the viewing with me so I suppose that makes sense (I’ve already sent my payslip so I’m trying to talk myself round here!)

rodDaly69 wrote: »

Bet someone else did though.

I spoke to my previous LL about this & he said that LL & estate agents don’t want to waste their time with multiple viewings so they often ask for the info upfront as they get so many applicants.

Fortunately there is no "it's easier for agents and landlords" exemption in the Data Protection legislation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Practically speaking very few people are going to go down the legal route here and if they did the LL or agent might be told not to do it again and left on their way. The OP has stilled missed out on the property.
    Quoting the legal process is generally not very useful advice as if I had a prospective tenant that stood out in a way that looked like they were going to be more hassle than any of the others then I am not going to waste my time on them.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Quoting the legal process is generally not very useful advice as if I had a prospective tenant that stood out in a way that looked like they were going to be more hassle than any of the others then I am not going to waste my time on them.

So you wouldn't select tenants who would make sure their rights are upheld?

And people say tenants have all the power...

And this guy is coming from Limerick to do the viewing with me so I suppose that makes sense (I’ve already sent my payslip so I’m trying to talk myself round here!)

Still though are bank statements necessary? It's of no concern to them. I have provided landlords with statements from the company that I am a full time, permanent employee etc, have even had my salary stated on it before.

Bank statement is just a little too far to me.

Bet someone else did though.

Probably, and people need to stop complying with this crap.

Like I said above would have supplied the guy a statement from my company about my employment status etc.

In fairness when I responded to say that it was a bit rich for them to be asking for such docs & what I would provide them with, they were willing to give me a viewing. But I didn't bother as the property was fairly bottom of the barrel, & fortunately I had a few months to work on getting something else.

So you wouldn't select tenants who would make sure their rights are upheld?

And people say tenants have all the power...

Why not select tenants who provide what you ask for?

• Advertisement

Why not select tenants who provide what you ask for?

Because landlords shouldn't be asking for this type of information at this stage. You're basically asking why not select tenants who will let the landlord break the law.

And I'm sure I don't have to explain why that's not a good thing.

Advertisement