Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ding Dong, the Dell is Dead! Black Screen

Options
  • 19-04-2020 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Trying to diagnose this machine:

Dell Optiplex 9020 AIO System Info

Seems to boot & POST: fans & HDD spin up, DVD opens/closes, NumLock & CapsLock light up & power light on steady white.

Power button flash codes (Optiplex 2012 to present)

But screen is dead; I’ve shone a torch, but nothing visible.

I’ve tried the following:
    • Attached external monitor via HDMI, nothing. Monitor detects that it's been connected, but nothing on screen.
    • I cannot attach a monitor with the VGA port as someone did previously & a pin is broken off & stuck in one of the holes. (PC was working normally despite this)
    • Removed & re-seated HDD, re-pasted CPU cooler & cleaned fans.
    • Removed RAM, correct led sequence for RAM error as per button flash code tables above.
    • Tried each stick individually and swapped between sockets. No error codes.
    • Temporarily removed CMOS battery.
    • Removed touch panel connector.

PSU BIST is OK

Display test seems ok: (Got all colours but no text screen)

Web searches would seem to indicate that the motherboard is a goner, but I thought I’d throw it up here first, just in case someone has come across similar before or have any other suggestions.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭SilverSideUp

Have you checked that Intel HD Graphics option is selected in BIOS?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

Have you checked that Intel HD Graphics option is selected in BIOS?

Can't get into bios, no screen!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Philipx wrote: »
    Can't get into bios, no screen!
    Wonder if this would force system to display to external...

...strip apart, disconnect build-in screen from MoBo, assemble and try HDMI.
    Once at it, see if can remove stuck pin from VGA port.

Wonder if this would force system to display to external...

...strip apart, disconnect build-in screen from MoBo, assemble and try HDMI.
    Once at it, see if can remove stuck pin from VGA port.

Worth a try, I'll give it a go this afternoon.

I tried to get the pin out, but can't get enough purchase on it to lever or pull it out. Clipped corresponding pin on an old lead I had here to try & see if I could get it in sufficiently, but no joy.

Cheers!

Nope, no joy with screen disconnected. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Philipx wrote: »
    Nope, no joy with screen disconnected. :(
    Not sure, but try...
    Switch the video image If your computer is attached to an external monitor, press [Fn] [F8] to switch the video image to the display.
    https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/desk_laptop_ug_en-us.pdf#_OPENTOPIC_TOC_PROCESSING_d101e8819

First thing I tried when I initially tried the external monitor, cycled through all the F keys and also in combination with Alt, ctrl & shift keys. :p

Advertisement