Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to pick up a Puppy

Options
  • 19-04-2020 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

So I'm in a bit of a pickle. I'm supposed to be picking up a pup in the North in 2 weeks time. I was in contact with the breeder before this whole virus dilemma so it's not something that's just happened.
    Been onto the breeder and if I cannot pick the pup up in 2 weeks he will be giving it to someone else which is fair enough I guess.
    I'm just wondering would I get into serious trouble for going to pick it up if I do get stopped by the guards. It took me a long time to get this type of breed. Been wanting this dog for a long time now. I'll be travelling from limerick to Armagh which is a fair bit of a journey.

Comments

You can’t do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Non- essential travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

If the breeder isnt willing to understand that in the current circumstances people wont be travelling to pick up pups then are they really the sort of person you want to be dealing with.

If the welfare of people is so low on their list of priorities , then the welfare of their animals aint much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Didnt someone already get prison time for this

Anyway 2 weeks is just shy of 5th may so maybe it will eased and you can go after that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Just go get it, don't act the bollox on the way, when you get there or on the way back.

No harm no foul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Why not ring your local Garda station and ask? They might give you some sort of travel document.

I wouldn't personally see it as something you should be doing all the same. But then I'm not an animal person..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

If the breeder isnt willing to understand that in the current circumstances people wont be travelling to pick up pups then are they really the sort of person you want to be dealing with.

If the welfare of people is so low on their list of priorities , then the welfare of their animals aint much better.

Well that's not totally fair, the longer the puppy stays at home, the tougher the separation.

CosmicFool wrote: »
    So I'm in a bit of a pickle. I'm supposed to be picking up a pup in the North in 2 weeks time. I was in contact with the breeder before this whole virus dilemma so it's not something that's just happened.
    Been onto the breeder and if I cannot pick the pup up in 2 weeks he will be giving it to someone else which is fair enough I guess.
    I'm just wondering would I get into serious trouble for going to pick it up if I do get stopped by the guards. It took me a long time to get this type of breed. Been wanting this dog for a long time now. I'll be travelling from limerick to Armagh which is a fair bit of a journey.

Do it, having a puppy will be a great distraction though this. Dont listen to the miserable shower on here. You are doing no harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

A fella was sentenced to jail after driving from Derry to Kerry (and failing to follow Gardai instructions) to pick up a dog so I wouldn’t risk it.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2020/0416/1131964-restrictions-breach/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'd expect most genuine animal people would hold their animals in higher esteem than most humans and would prioritise their welfare over any humans.

Breeders are a law unto themselves however

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

niallo27 wrote: »
    Do it, having a puppy will be a great distraction though this. Dont listen to the miserable shower on here. You are doing no harm.

Ffs, I read the replies.
    I didn't see anyone that is apart of this 'miserable shower' you speak of.
    Maybe stop being a complete dick????
    Just an observation. It might be helpful to the point you're making!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Doesnt sound like a professional breeder

A fella was sentenced to jail after driving from Derry to Kerry (and failing to follow Gardai instructions) to pick up a dog so I wouldn’t risk it.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2020/0416/1131964-restrictions-breach/

Well now, he wasnt really was he, you failed to mention quiet a big fact in the reason why he was arrested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

In 2 weeks there might be an easing of restrictions. None of us have a crystal ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Breeder is very understanding of the situation guys and we've been trying to figure something out but there is a crucial time when the puppy is separated from the mother without harming both the puppy and mother so it is in the best interest of the dogs for this to happen.
    I am leaning towards not going which will be tough as I wanted this dog for a very long time and even moved from an apartment to a house to accommodate having a dog.
    This is not just a whim, it's very personal but under the circumstances I know I may not be able to get it at this time.
    I am aware of the story of the guy who was arrested but in fairness he did lie and speed off not listening to the guard so that was the bug issue there.
    I'll call into the local station and see what they say but I doubt it will be good news but hopefully I'll get to speak to a avid lover of dogs. Lol. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: OP, are you seriously looking for validation to make a 500+km round trip?

I'm pretty sure you know the answer to your own question already. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement