Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for new renter on possible scams please.

Options
  • 19-04-2020 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

I'm just looking for a bit of advice really on things to look for so I don't get ripped off. And also how to get a place without landlord references?

I find myself looking for somewhere to rent for the first time in a very long time, and obviously a lot has changed. So I have no landlord references.

I made the mistake (I think) of putting a wanted ad on Gumtree. I was contacted by someone offering an apartment near me. I haven't seen this apartment advertised anywhere else. It would suit me perfectly, the terms seem reasonable and it's within my price range. It's too good to be true I thought. But I engaged anyway. He sent photos, which all looked lovely - but I am very familiar with the area. I could see out the balcony doors and I couldn't place the location.
    The next day I received another email from the same guy, and when I replied he said "Oh I'm already talking to you". So I got suspicious. He has told me the area and the street, but won't give the address.

Then I was exchanging emails with him, and suddenly I got an email from a different email address. He also had previously asked for a copy of my ID and an employers reference.

Every single bone in my body is screaming "SCAM - STAY AWAY"

But there's a small part of me desperate enough to go through with it "just in case".

So I've just asked him to ring or text me.

Actually after seeing all this written down, I don't know what I was thinking. Definitely something fishy going on here.

In Cork btw

Edit: I offered to bring the documents to the viewing, but he said no, he wants then emailed first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Thanks Mr S. I've just done a reverse image search if one of the photos he sent me which apparently he took 11 days ago and the meta data says they are from 2019. Yeah, the reason for not having a LL reference would be as you said. I'm all over Daft. I think I'll stick to them and estate agents from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Happened to us all before!. Use a reputable letting agent or a Landlord referenced from a trusted friend.
    I had the same thing a good few years back. I replied to a gumtree ad. It was a flat in the center of Cork that had the tram stop 50 meters down the street at about 80% of the cost. All I had to do was to transfer the deposit to him and he would post me the keys. What could go wrong? I was suspicious going in but after I heard there was a tram system in Cork, I stopped all correspondance.
    "If its too good to be true then it probably is".

Anybody who solely trades off the internet and wants to see all your credentials first is suspect. The Bank statement and letter of reference happen after the viewing and before the signing of contracts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'm just looking for a bit of advice really on things to look for so I don't get ripped off.

1) Don't use Gumtree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Graham wrote: »
    1) Don't use Gumtree

2) Dont use Craigslist ever unless you are looking to contract Herpes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Also, Facebook rental groups have become useless with the amount of scammers on them.

Never send a deposit without viewing. Never deal with someone unless it can be done face-to-face (particularly, do not agree anything with someone who is not in the country, they should have rep's in Ireland if they are abroad). Ask for a lease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

One thing that may become popular is "virtual tours" of the property. If you do one, look at a streetview of the location beforehand.

Ask to be shown outside during the virtual tour, and compare to see how much traffic is there, etc.

the_syco wrote: »
    One thing that may become popular is "virtual tours" of the property. If you do one, look at a streetview of the location beforehand.

Ask to be shown outside during the virtual tour, and compare to see how much traffic is there, etc.

As it happens, I've just done a "virtual tour" i.e. a couple of 1 minute whats app videos. I took a spin up there earlier though, and while the apartment looks really nice inside, it seems to be priced a bit low. This should be great, but it has me worried that something is up with the block. I also did a proper viewing and now I'm torn between the 2 places. One is a ground floor 2 bed in a big block, closer to work by a small bit. Seems to be a lot of families living there.

The other is a one bed ground floor apartment - a duplex type setup. It's a bit further out, but is slightly more expensive. But I reckon it's quieter there, and I work nights so it might be better. I only need 1 bed anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Maitguel

I was thinking about this the other day and I thought it strange nobody ask to see proof of ownership of a property before agreeing to hand over a deposit. It’s fine if you are dealing through a reputable EA but if you are dealing with an individual they should be able to prove ownership of the property before you go any further. That would be the title to the property together with previous utility bills

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

When suspicious Dona reverse image search of the property images using https://tineye.com/

You will usually find it's a property listed somewhere else.

Maitguel wrote: »
    I was thinking about this the other day and I thought it strange nobody ask to see proof of ownership of a property before agreeing to hand over a deposit. It’s fine if you are dealing through a reputable EA but if you are dealing with an individual they should be able to prove ownership of the property before you go any further. That would be the title to the property together with previous utility bills

Everyone would have to be on the same page - the likelihood is that the property would just be rented to someone who didn't look for those proofs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

while the apartment looks really nice inside, it seems to be priced a bit low. This should be great, but it has me worried that something is up with the block. I also did a proper viewing and now I'm torn between the 2 places. One is a ground floor 2 bed in a big block, closer to work by a small bit. Seems to be a lot of families living there.
    It's possibly low because you'll have no privacy, and there'll be kids screaming outside. Depending on where in the block it is, it could have a load of people walking by it. Check Google Maps to see if many people would walk by it at 1am coming back from a nearby pub, as there may have been anti-social behaviour.
    The other is a one bed ground floor apartment - a duplex type setup.
    Are the floors wooden in the downstairs apartment? Have seen a few duplex apartments with wooden floors on all floors; which means noise during the day when kids are running around.

the_syco wrote: »
    It's possibly low because you'll have no privacy, and there'll be kids screaming outside. Depending on where in the block it is, it could have a load of people walking by it. Check Google Maps to see if many people would walk by it at 1am coming back from a nearby pub, as there may have been anti-social behaviour.

Are the floors wooden in the downstairs apartment? Have seen a few duplex apartments with wooden floors on all floors; which means noise during the day when kids are running around.

Yeah, the first one was a no go - all the windows faced out to the front of the block and the ensuite was riddled with damp. It was a bit isolated and so wouldn't have any passing traffic. But I could see in the windows of all the downstairs apartments

The 2nd one - no kids upstairs, just a professional couple. Very private, only one window facing the street. It had wooden floors, but it seems like a quality build. Build as a 5 bed house, with the option to put a small apartment on the ground floor. I previously lived in a semi-d where we could hear the neighbours talking/fighting/riding through the wall so I'm used to hearing neighbours. I'm signing the lease next Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Maitguel wrote: »

The utility bills would often be in the name of the previous tenant. The landlord would have to show you his own identity as well as title documents, which wouldn't be conclusive anyway because he could have sold it already before you view. No landlord is going to do anything of the kind, so forget about renting if you demand that of any landlord.

Advertisement