Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will shallow soil prevent plants from growing well?

Options
  • 19-04-2020 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭

I fear the answer is yes but someone may be able to advise.

I have cleared an old deck area and have started digging the ground at the back of my house (north facing)

When I started to dig down, unfortunately I hit fairly hard ground about a foot down (30cm). This is made up of hard clay and stones and was really difficult to dig into with a fork. The beds will be around 3 meters long x 1 metre wide at its widest.

I have been planning this garden for a long while, with it having an exotic theme mixed with perennials suited to shade. Plants consist of the following:

Begonia
    Hosta
    Ferns
    Crocosmia

Lily
    Dahlia
    Hot poker
    Euphorbia

Fatsia japonica
    Canna plants
    Trachycarpus
    Bamboo nigra
    Banana musa Basjoo
    Tree fern

I’m worried now that these plants won’t grow to their full potential with the restriction of soil base as I really wanted these plants to get to a good height, but now they will likely be competing against each other.

Any advise on what I could do here? Will the plants suffer or stay small due to lack of depth?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the vast majority of plants should be fine in soil a foot deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That depth is completely normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Lumen wrote: »
    That depth is completely normal.

Interesting, I thought the plants would be competing with each with less space downwards

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

30cm soil will doo just fine.

We’re gardening and farming here on 10-12cm of topsoil.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was in derryclare wood in galway a few years back, after a storm had blown through. it's an (i think) ancient woodland, of oak, and the soil was less than a foot thick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Ok this is all good reports. Thanks folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I live in North County Dublin, famed for its horticulture and (controversially picked) strawberries, and the topsoil around here is only about a foot deep.

Advertisement