Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

180deg turn in sewer with run of just 2.5m.

• 19-04-2020 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Built new house 5 years ago and one of the sewers has been blocking constantly due to one or all of three things. 1. The fall is about 10mm which is a bit on the steep side given 1 in 40 is the ideal fall. 2. Making 180 deg turn in too short a run, ie 2.5m. 3. The side channel feeds into main channel with one of them manholes which has a 30mm drop into the main channel and this is where the blockage always starts. ( Why oh why is that drop in the manhole for, why not just meet the main channel level? )

Anyways it is what it is. New sewer route is not an option. Only option is fix whats there or take the toilet out of comission.

So I have been thinking could I create a small sort of mini tank that this toilet feeds directly into and then install one of them sewage pumps to push it onto the main sewer. That means no turn iin sewer. The pump can send it where ever it needs to be sent in what ever direction I have been told.
    Has anyone done anything like this before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,496 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Could you do a sketch of the layout?

What distance is the 10mm(?) fall over?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭mayoman1973

Its a 2.5 m run. Not much to sketch. Sewer does a 180deg, 10mm fall, over a 2.5m run between point where it exits house to where it joins main sewer in a regular manhole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Do you mean a 90 degree turn? Having problems visualising 180.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

So I have been thinking could I create a small sort of mini tank that this toilet feeds directly into and then install one of them sewage pumps to push it onto the main sewer. That means no turn iin sewer. The pump can send it where ever it needs to be sent in what ever direction I have been told.
    Has anyone done anything like this before?

We put an identical system on when we built about 12 years ago. We got prices for tanks at the time but they were off the wall so we buried a blue plastic drum in concrete and had a tank for a fraction of the cost.

It pumps about 15m up to an AJ and it works well. The pump can fail from time to time but it’s not a big job to clear it or replace. Unpleasant maybe but easy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

10mm fall over 2.5m is 1 in 250 I'm guessing it's a 100mm pipe this simply won't work. Can you raise the pipe at the WC. Ideally I would be looking at 75mm of even continuous fall. Can you send a picture of the connection manhole we're the issue is. Is the connection at 90 degrees or less to the main flow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

180 degrees is a straight through

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,496 ✭✭✭✭Victor

180 degrees is a straight through

Straight through is 0 degrees.

A slight bend might be 10-30 degrees.

A pronounced bend might be 30-60 degrees.

A right angle is 90 degrees.

180 degrees is coming back on itself.

Victor wrote: »
    Straight through is 0 degrees.

A slight bend might be 10-30 degrees.

A pronounced bend might be 30-60 degrees.

A right angle is 90 degrees.

180 degrees is coming back on itself.

Incorrect 360 degrees to come back on itself. 180 degrees is straight through

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Incorrect 360 degrees to come back on itself. 180 degrees is straight through

Stand up.

Face the wall.

Turn all the way around till you face the wall again.

You've just turned 360 degrees.

360 degrees would mean a full twist and keep going in the same direction..

• Advertisement

Stand up.

Face the wall.

Turn all the way around till you face the wall again.

You've just turned 360 degrees.

Is that not what I posted

Slava Ukrainii

Is that not what I posted

No , 360 degrees would be 4 elbows (90 degrees each) , itd come full circle and youd end up going the same direction you already were.

180 degrees would be 2 elbows and you end up facing back the way you just came.

This thread is brilliant :D haha

1a.png

No , 360 degrees would be 4 elbows (90 degrees each) , itd come full circle and youd end up going the same direction you already were.

Exactly. A 360 pipe looks like this:

13d-360-Tube-Slide.png?v=1494710833

I have to admit it would be comical watching one being installed. :p

Exactly. A 360 pipe looks like this:

13d-360-Tube-Slide.png?v=1494710833

I have to admit it would be comical watching one being installed. :p

All waste stacks should come down buildings like that imo :D

Degree have nothing to do with right angle bends. If you are putting something straight through its 180 degrees you use a straight through socket. If you turn it 90 or 270 degrees it's a right angle bend you use. If you are coming back on yourself it 360 degrees seldom done in reality.

In plumbing two 45 degree bends do not make 90 degrees. It's not a matter of adding angles or degrees

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Same as that - and trying to figure out why you'd need to do a 180 degree turn over 2.5m. Sounds very strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Degree have nothing to do with tight angle bends. If you are putting something straight through its 180 degrees you use a straight through socket. If you turn it 90 or 270 degrees it's a bend you use. If you are coming back on yourself it 360 degrees seldom done in reality.

In plumbing two 45 degree bends do not make 90 degrees. It's not a matter of adding angles or degrees

Yes, but you're talking about the flow continuing in the same direction as it started but with 360 degrees of bends thrown in.
    From the OPs' description it sounds like the flow is coming back against itself albeit in a parallel pipe i.e. doing a U Turn.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,867 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'm also having difficulty picturing what the OP is talking about...

Are you saying you have two 90 degrees turn at the end of a 2.5m run, and there's a 10mm fall along that run??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Degree have nothing to do with right angle bends. If you are putting something straight through its 180 degrees you use a straight through socket. If you turn it 90 or 270 degrees it's a right angle bend you use. If you are coming back on yourself it 360 degrees seldom done in reality.

Google 180 degree pipe.

• Advertisement

Yes, but you're talking about the flow continuing in the same direction as it started but with 360 degrees of bends thrown in.
    From the OPs' description it sounds like the flow is coming back against itself albeit in a parallel pipe i.e. doing a U Turn.

The OP had his angle incorrect I imagine. Two 90 degree bends could take you straight on they could turn you up into the air or down into the ground.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Someone's gonna have to do a 180 with their answers..

The sewer pipe exits the house on north side, the main sewer runs south right along the side of house. The exit point from the house is about 2.2m from the main sewer so it currently is a U shape run, with radius of about 1.3m,
    The feed into main sewer is a 45deg so the rest of the 180 turn ( 135deg ) is made up of 3 x wide 45deg turns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

In terms of calculating pressure loss for a piping system, the following scenarios are all equivalent:

1. Left turn, 2m run, right turn
    2. Left turn, right turn (to kink the pipe)
    3. Left turn, left turn (180°)

In this case, flow would be analogous to pressure loss as described above.

As I see it, the shallow fall along the 2.5m might just about work for a straight only.

However, the addition of the two 90° fittings cause the fluid to slow down and get clogged up.

The design is limited, so not much you can't really do outside a sewage pump I don't think.

One thing to try, as I have a similar problem at home, and cleaned it last week. Lovely job....

OP, can you flush the toilet a few times a day with no paper in it. Keep that up for a few weeks. If the extra flow of clear water daily appears to sold the problem, you could install an automated flusher.

I'm sure there are many on the market, but a quick Google gave me this retro fit unit for normal toilets that will flush once every 24 hours.

https://www.centralrestaurant.com/Rubbermaid-FG750831-Tc-Autoflush-c115p96487.html

Also, use cheap toilet paper. Andrex is not your friend here.

The sewer pipe exits the house on north side, the main sewer runs south right along the side of house. The exit point from the house is about 2.2m from the main sewer so it currently is a U shape run, with radius of about 1.3m,

I presume that it is a 9O degree turn, a straight section a 90 degree turn into main sewer. Did they put in AJ's at the bends or just put 90 degree bends on the pipe

Slava Ukrainii

Also, use cheap toilet paper. Andrex is not your friend here.

Same if you go with the pump..

I presume that it is a 9O degree turn, a straight section a 90 degree turn into main sewer. Did they put in AJ's at the bends or just put 90 degree bends on the pipe

No. It is 3 wide bend 45degs meeting the main channel at 45deg.
    I used the best flusher of the lot. I'm steering storm water from roof into sewer and it keeps it clear but has the obvious problem of filling the septic tank too quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

10mm in 2500mm is 0.4%
    1 in 40 is 2.5%

Your pipe has too little fall for a straight pile never mind one with 3 or 4 long 45s on it.

The fall in the AJ from channel to main channel is not an issue. This is just where the energy is getting the solids to.

Can you relay with enough fall?
    Can you relay with less bends?

The pump will work but for my own house I'd be investing in a sewerage pump that can deal with the solids. Or a mascerator, but even industrial ones are forever breaking down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Can you not use a wavin AJ where this toilet line meets your sewer. This AJ would not have the 30 mm step so if i understand you correctly, this would allow more fall in the 2.5m section.
    Also i dont know why you are using the slow sweeping curved sections.
    AJ outside house at path turning 90 deg to wards main line then AJ on main line to take the feed from this toilet.
    The AJ will take the pipe arriving at 90 deg to main run and has a built in swept angle to allow correct flow at the junction.

Im assuming it all 4 inch pipe?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,867 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No. It is 3 wide bend 45degs meeting the main channel at 45deg.
    I used the best flusher of the lot. I'm steering storm water from roof into sewer and it keeps it clear but has the obvious problem of filling the septic tank too quickly.

I hope that storm water steer is a VERY temporary measure, as you are destroying your effluent treatment by doing that.

Advertisement