Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School not using Video Conferencing but lashing out the homework

Options
  • 19-04-2020 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

I have three children under 12, none of their schools are taking the opportunity to avail of the latest technology to provide lessons.

Given WhatsApp, Teams and Zoom etc are free this is disappointing as all we seem to have is teachers flinging homework over the wall & lots of it at that.

I appreciate teachers have their own children to look after but an hour or two a day wouldn’t be too much to ask.

Is this unique to the schools my children attend or are our educators missing a trick, I’m thinking about contacting the principal of the school to voice my concern.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭cocopops

Unfortunately a lot of schools are between a rock and a hard place due to 1) GDPR regulations, 2) lack of a relevant remote learning policy in place and even if one was drawn up, getting it ratified by the Board of Management, 3) possibly not every teacher having good broadband access and 4) not all schools can afford to provide the hardware needed 5) not wanting to put families under pressure when it’s possible they don’t have suitable broadband/devices either

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

cocopops wrote: »
    Unfortunately a lot of schools are between a rock and a hard place due to 1) GDPR regulations, 2) lack of a relevant remote learning policy in place and even if one was drawn up, getting it ratified by the Board of Management, 3) possibly not every teacher having good broadband access and 4) not all schools can afford to provide the hardware needed 5) not wanting to put families under pressure when it’s possible they don’t have suitable broadband/devices either

Unfortunately I think a few might be happy to lean into a few of those excuses. Things can be put in place if teachers want to. Yes there's grpr and no remote policy, but for the sake of their students, do now, ask for forgiveness later.
    Fair dues to the ones being proactive and making an effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I know many teachers are struggling to get work uploaded due to broadband speeds in their homes. Some had been going in to the school to upload work but that is no longer allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Dont forget lots of very poor connectivity around also. Working from home myself and its painfully frustrating and slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I know many teachers are struggling to get work uploaded due to broadband speeds in their homes. Some had been going in to the school to upload work but that is no longer allowed.

If only we had a national broadband plan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I asked this around with a few teacher mates as it seems a perfect time to show what technology can do.

Do you have 3 laptops? Since it would be just your luck that each kid's hour with the teacher would be at the same time.

What about kids who do not have a laptop, Maybe the parents need it for there own work.

Same with the teachers, A lot of schools don't give laptops to the staff and its a GDPR issue to use your own one.

Some teachers wouldn't know what to do, We also expect zoom and the lot that its like TV and that the teachers should preform like TV presenters which they are not so it gets very boring after a few minutes. It's not like they are in the room to move them around or discipline them.

Teachers are trying there best but they need to find a simple balance, I know a few who are now making videos for the class each morning, They have set up a uploading website so they can mark work and give back feedback. As well as doing powerpoints lessons and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Should have added based in Dublin where 99% have excellent broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

Come on, this cannot be a valid reason. Even hotspotting on your phone in the back arse of no where would get you 5-6 Mbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

niallo27 wrote: »
    Come on, this cannot be a valid reason. Even hotspotting on your phone in the back arse of no where would get you 5-6 Mbps.

Oh the naivety :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭touts

niallo27 wrote: »

Not all networks allow this. You aren't allowed theather with a three account. They will cancel your account and charge you if you are caught doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I suppose we can overlook the parents who can't afford laptops, iPads, broadband/data sim cards, separate rooms for kids to learn away from younger siblings, or who have to leave their accomodation for most of the day time?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

touts wrote: »
    Not all networks allow this. You aren't allowed theather with a three account. They will cancel your account and charge you if you are caught doing this.

Haha not a chance! I've been using three hotspot on my phone for years and nothign has ever happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭RoryMac

touts wrote: »

I do this all the time on Three

• Registered Users Posts: 26,370 ✭✭✭✭noodler

God all I've been reading is how teachers were doing full days

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

In my opinion all challenges which can be over come with a bit of initiative. We are all in extra ordinary times and we all are doing things we would prefer not to, rather than hiding behind red tape and formalities. Things can happen if there is a desire to make them work

This may have been the case on 12th March when the schools closed. It should not be the case over a month later.

That said, and I repeated this on another thread earlier, some teachers are going above and beyond but seem to be in the minority (albeit based on chats I have had with people). But to those teachers fair play and keep up the good work. It is appreciated by parents and children alike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

afatbollix wrote: »
    Same with the teachers, A lot of schools don't give laptops to the staff and its a GDPR issue to use your own one.

Why would it be a GDPR issue to use your own laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

I refuse to do this zoom thing with students I feel no way comfortable with it so don’t see why we should be pressurised into it. Currently using my own mobile phone data to upload and download work, my home internet is far too poor to send pictures etc. I’ve run out of data and my bill will be astronomical next month. Who’s going to foot the cost?

I have no laptop and using a phone with a cracked screen. My home circumstance mean it’s not possible to record videos unless you want to hear my elderly parents on the phone in the background or the tv/radio blaring all day. They have zero concept of being quiet.

So who ever here thinks it’s easy for teachers to teach from home I can assure you not everyone has appropriate circumstances.
    I would give anything to get back into the classroom. If only for peace from my parents.

I firmly believe I’m doing my best under the circumstances, if I manage to email them
    work I’m doing well. I’ll correct it when I get it but it takes hours to download, open, correct and then send replies. I had serious eye strain before the break from looking at phone.

Speak Now wrote: »
    Dont forget lots of very poor connectivity around also. Working from home myself and its painfully frustrating and slow.

Yes but you still have to do it and make it work - rather than use it as an excuse.

Connectivity is important - I accept that. But solutions need to be found. It’s not like there will be a magic vaccine rolled out globally come September

Speak Now wrote: »
    If only we had a national broadband plan!

And people will still complain about the cost and whether it’s a good idea or not !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I suppose we can overlook the parents who can't afford laptops, iPads, broadband/data sim cards, separate rooms for kids to learn away from younger siblings, or who have to leave their accomodation for most of the day time?

The vast majority of kids have internet access in some form or another.

I’m amazed that my youngest daughter (5th year) hasn’t had as much as 1 class on Skype or zoom. Lots of homework being sent but zero interaction.

I spent most of my working day on video calls and can’t understand why teachers aren’t exploring this option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭touts

AmberGold wrote: »
    I have three children under 12, none of their schools are taking the opportunity to avail of the latest technology to provide lessons.

Given WhatsApp, Teams and Zoom etc are free this is disappointing as all we seem to have is teachers flinging homework over the wall & lots of it at that.

I appreciate teachers have their own children to look after but an hour or two a day wouldn’t be too much to ask.

Is this unique to the schools my children attend or are our educators missing a trick, I’m thinking about contacting the principal of the school to voice my concern.

It depends very much on the teacher. My son is in primary and gets an message every Monday with his homework for the week and that's the last we hear from the teacher for the week.

At the same time my wife is a secondary School teacher. She records classes each day on PowerPoint and uploaded them to Google classroom in the mornings. In the afternoons Sha holds zoom calls with the classes to answer any questions. Only 5-10 students dial in but that is their issue.

My wife is involved with national associations and says the discussion there is that it is likely that inspectors will look to see what teachers did during the lockdown. Those that make an effort may not be rewarded with pay etc because the unions won't allow it as they mainly protect the lazy (she says most of the ASTI leadership are teachers who couldn't hack it in the classroom and protect their own). But those that sat on their arses and did nothing will find it difficult to get a promotion or a move to another school for several years. All application forms etc for posts and principalships will have to contain an inspectorate report and anyone who did nothing for these weeks will find promotion very difficult to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

Unfortunately a lot of schools are between a rock and a hard place due to 1) GDPR regulations,
    What is the problem with GDPR?

Why would it be a GDPR issue to use your own laptop?

People generally don't have a clue about GDPR apart from what it stands for, so is easily misinterpreted..

afatbollix wrote: »
    I asked this around with a few teacher mates as it seems a perfect time to show what technology can do.

Do you have 3 laptops? Since it would be just your luck that each kid's hour with the teacher would be at the same time.

What about kids who do not have a laptop, Maybe the parents need it for there own work.

Some teachers wouldn't know what to do, We also expect zoom and the lot that its like TV and that the teachers should preform like TV presenters which they are not so it gets very boring after a few minutes. It's not like they are in the room to move them around or discipline them.

Teachers are trying there best but they need to find a simple balance, I know a few who are now making videos for the class each morning, They have set up a uploading website so they can mark work and give back feedback. As well as doing powerpoints lessons and whatnot.

I have to disagree a bit. SOME teachers are trying their best but lots are doing very little. An email once a week is not anyone’s best and is insulting to all the teachers who are trying to say it is

GDPR is an excuse. It’s about consent to use personal data for its intended purpose and not use it for purposes that permission has not been granted for. Not an excuse to hide behind every time someone suggests a bit of innovation

Asking teachers if they are doing their best is like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas. Of course they are doing their best - who is going to say “no we are on a state funded holiday and there is nothing anyone can do about it”.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭LaLa2004

I’m amazed that my youngest daughter (5th year) hasn’t had as much as 1 class on Skype or zoom. Lots of homework being sent but zero interaction.
    I spent most of my working day on video calls and can’t understand why teachers aren’t exploring this option.

Like a teacher on this thread has posted, not everyone is in the position to conduct education through technology.

So no point in trying to help some because all kids have to be treated equally ! How very noble of you :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Like a teacher on this thread has posted, not everyone is in the position to conduct education through technology.

Well they’re going to have to figure it out.

Times have changed for the foreseeable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I have my two children with me, both under five. I cannot and will not do live video. The 18 month old needs constant supervision because he’s a climbing holy terror and there would be tears. Lots of them.

However I am working every night and weekends prepping and recording lessons for all my class periods as per my timetable. Students submit their work via google classroom and I try to view all of it and correct everything that cannot be recorded for group correction (eg maths, I’ll record me presenting the solutions exactly like it would be in class). I carry my phone around with me supervising my own children and reply as fast as I can to any query coming in from students. Yes I’m using some websites that include self correction but that’s just being realistic because I have nearly 200 students a week and cannot possibly correct every piece of work they do individually.

This is enough in my opinion. Students are almost always seeing/hearing my work for their class as to be honest I’m finding it takes as long to find decent YouTube videos etc taught the way I want it taught as it does to just prep and record it. Students have my email and google classroom if they need to ask me a specific question.

I was absolutely exhausted maintaining this by the Easter break and I would far far prefer to be back in school but it is what it is and this is the best I can do.

The only alternative beyond this would be for me to apply for parental leave. In which case there would be no substitute teacher at all because they can’t be found for love nor money

• Advertisement

I am not even suggesting classes over video. I was nearly lynched on another forum earlier for suggesting teachers should try contact students directly and have a 5 minute chat with them. Give some encouragement, ask if they need help at anything in particular etc.

I spend 80% of my day on calls - whether voice or video. Much prefer to do them in person but needs must. Don’t think my boss would accept - sorry I don’t want to. He would say take a 350 euro a week break there until this is resolved - and rightly so

We all need to adapt to our new situation !

Advertisement