Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School not using Video Conferencing but lashing out the homework

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

We asked the parents in the school for feedback on remote learning and how it's been going and if they had any suggestions.
    Some said the app we were using was great. Others said they didn't want their child using technology that much.
    Some said they loved the way the child could answer directly onto the screen. Others said they would wanted work to be emailed to them as a PDF.
    Some said they wanted all work sent for the whole week in one go. Others said they wanted work set each day.
    Some said they wanted the work sent the night before. Others said they wanted it sent each morning.
    Some said they were getting too much work. Others said there wasn't enough.
    Some said they had access to a printer. Others don't.
    Some have a laptop for the child's use. Others need it for their own work.
    Some access every link sent. Others say the link won't work.
    Some have worked consistently, doing a bit each day. Others aren't doing anything.
    Our SET have contacted parents of their pupils individually by email to see if they would like invidualised work for their child. Some said yes. Others said no. Others didn't respond at all.
    We can't please everyone so we have to do what is most manageable and practical. Maybe some of the parents whose preference is not being met are on boards complaining about what is or isn't being done but equally there could be twenty five other sets perfectly happy with how things are going.

On the app we are using, you can see the number of things you have responded to. That is after setting the work, children post their responses whether it is a screen grab of their work, a photo, a typed response or a voice recording. My class have posted over eight hundred times. We are on day seven of using this app. I have looked at every one of these and added a typed comment, correction or voice recording. I'm working with a middle primary class.
    That is in addition to whole staff online meetings, group whatsapp conversations on school related business, communication with SET and emailing parents to respond to individual concerns.

I am not trying to justify what I do but I am sick of seeing comments that teachers are doing very little or that we should be prepared to work though July and August as schools are closed now.
    I also don't think it's up to individual schools to come up with a plan for September as firstly we have to take direction from health bodies as this is a public health emergency not an education one and secondly, who knows what way things will be in June, let alone September. If you had been told at the middle of February that schools would be closed from the middle of March and still closed at the start of May, you might not have believed it. If you had asked me the week before Easter whether we would be considering reopening schools in May or June, I'd have said absolutely not. Give it two weeks and we may be saying absolutely we can open schools for the last month of the primary term. Get to the end of June and we may be saying, along with plenty other countries, that it was a big mistake to do so. Or we may be closing for normal summer holidays thinking that was the strangest school year ever and can we believe that it all happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Murple, is that app Seesaw?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

heldel00 wrote: »
    Murple, is that app Seesaw?

That’s the one! Didn’t know it existed a month ago and I’d quite happily have lived the rest of my days never knowing!!!

800 posts is a bit excessive? Irish primary teacher has a blog post about using seesaw, how to turn on/off certain features and also an information guide for parents. Looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

heldel00 wrote: »
    Well said. We each have a school laptop (5 teachers) and we had to have a big song&dance of an assembly because the Parents' assoc donated 5 Samsung tablets. That is the height of our access to tech in the school.
    (Btw I'm not knocking the Par. Assoc. They are working with very limited funds but for a modern country, trying to run shoulders with the creme de la creme of Europe and the world, we are a bloody joke.)

I agree about tech in schools.

It is my opinion (not popular) is that part of the reason resources are spread so thin is because we have 3,000+ primary schools.

That means 3,000+ principal salaries, pensions, elec bills, etc

All that overhead, all that duplication.

Riverstown parish, Co. Sligo has 5 schools!!! A small village.

Teachers tell me that having 10-30-50 kids in a school is bad for the kids.

It won't get any votes, but we need to merge schools.

Maybe sell the idea by promising a lovely new building with all hi-tech everything?

• Advertisement

Yes I completely agree. There is a cluster of two teacher schools beside me. One received quarter million extension in 2010 and closed three years ago. Building sits empty

• Registered Users Posts: 26,370 ✭✭✭✭noodler

For the teachers essentially saying regular contact is unnecessary outside of the work they give out (I won't call it "chats"), does that not go against alot of the general characteristics of the professions unions wax lyrical about?

Alot of stuff about going the extra miles tailoring approaches etc. Seems a bit mad to expect a child to do all the engaging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Murple wrote: »
    We asked the parents in the school for feedback on remote learning and how it's been going and if they had any suggestions.
    Some said the app we were using was great. Others said they didn't want their child using technology that much.
    Some said they loved the way the child could answer directly onto the screen. Others said they would wanted work to be emailed to them as a PDF.
    Some said they wanted all work sent for the whole week in one go. Others said they wanted work set each day.
    Some said they wanted the work sent the night before. Others said they wanted it sent each morning.
    Some said they were getting too much work. Others said there wasn't enough.
    Some said they had access to a printer. Others don't.
    Some have a laptop for the child's use. Others need it for their own work.
    Some access every link sent. Others say the link won't work.
    Some have worked consistently, doing a bit each day. Others aren't doing anything.
    Our SET have contacted parents of their pupils individually by email to see if they would like invidualised work for their child. Some said yes. Others said no. Others didn't respond at all.
    We can't please everyone so we have to do what is most manageable and practical. Maybe some of the parents whose preference is not being met are on boards complaining about what is or isn't being done but equally there could be twenty five other sets perfectly happy with how things are going.

On the app we are using, you can see the number of things you have responded to. That is after setting the work, children post their responses whether it is a screen grab of their work, a photo, a typed response or a voice recording. My class have posted over eight hundred times. We are on day seven of using this app. I have looked at every one of these and added a typed comment, correction or voice recording. I'm working with a middle primary class.
    That is in addition to whole staff online meetings, group whatsapp conversations on school related business, communication with SET and emailing parents to respond to individual concerns.

I am not trying to justify what I do but I am sick of seeing comments that teachers are doing very little or that we should be prepared to work though July and August as schools are closed now.
    I also don't think it's up to individual schools to come up with a plan for September as firstly we have to take direction from health bodies as this is a public health emergency not an education one and secondly, who knows what way things will be in June, let alone September. If you had been told at the middle of February that schools would be closed from the middle of March and still closed at the start of May, you might not have believed it. If you had asked me the week before Easter whether we would be considering reopening schools in May or June, I'd have said absolutely not. Give it two weeks and we may be saying absolutely we can open schools for the last month of the primary term. Get to the end of June and we may be saying, along with plenty other countries, that it was a big mistake to do so. Or we may be closing for normal summer holidays thinking that was the strangest school year ever and can we believe that it all happened.

I hope you don't write like that on the blackboard for the poor kids.
    I take it you don't teach English?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Blackboard? When were you last in a school?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Blackboard? When were you last in a school?

Why what have they now a massive Ipad or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Why what have they now a massive Ipad or something?

Kinda, some have interactive boards, others have marker boards.

Chalk is long dead.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Just watching Ireland on Call here and they say regarding primary school, that the curriculum is based on the educational needs of each child. So there's no such thing as 'falling behind' and they'll be grand when they go back.

They also said that they're building 'life skills' that will benefit them in the future.

I'm a lot happier now :D

"I take it you don't teach English?"
    Narf, snort, wink and poke your friend in the ribs for a bit of back up ....Grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Have they menntioned anything about deep cleaning or ppe for teachers and children They are asking for ppe in UK

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

That said, and I repeated this on another thread earlier, some teachers are going above and beyond but seem to be in the minority (albeit based on chats I have had with people). But to those teachers fair play and keep up the good work. It is appreciated by parents and children alike

God forbid a parent would have to help their own child. I do think people forget that a teacher educates your child for 1 school year and then forgets about them. See ya later, goodbye. These are your kids. If they fall behind it's your responsibility and it's you that will have to prop them up in years to come when their teachers won't even remember their names.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Absolutely. No child needs any more Easter eggs.

And leave the current martyrdom efforts to the medical staff. Teachers extra efforts are needed when the kids go back to school

Cop out. Kids need to continue their education now .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

God forbid a parent would have to help their own child. I do think people forget that a teacher educates your child for 1 school year and then forgets about them. See ya later, goodbye. These are your kids. If they fall behind it's your responsibility and it's you that will have to prop them up in years to come when their teachers won't even remember their names.

Don't be a prat about it. We are all dealing with different circumstances.

Our neighbours, 4 primary age children (twins in there). Both parents work in the hospital, doing opposite shifts at the moment to cover childcare. They put the kids watching TV and screens for hours each day so they can get a few hours of sleep themselves, to function. And are wracked with guilt about not educating them enough.

You sneer at people for letting their kids fall behind? What choice do they have?

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask teachers to be flexible where they can. It is their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Teach30 wrote: »
    Right and have my mother roaring at me do I want my dinner/am I going to the shop now/will I answer the phone/what am I doing etc etc or their grandchildren running in on top of me - they have NO boundaries. I would actually be mortified for my students to see that living situation. I am not willing to risk it to be honest.

Overall I’d like to point out that while it may seem that a teacher is doing very little you have no idea what is going on in their lives.

I’m struggling as it is being at home caring for my elderly parents. The lack of contact with friends, the fact my wedding has been cancelled and I can’t see my fiance. My nerves are in shreds, I can’t sleep and I also have to worry about not getting in trouble for lack of internet access. When in reality I am trying my very best to stay on top of things but I feel like I’m sinking as I have no routine in my life.

Let me back in a classroom and I will gladly teach from there.
    Teach30 wrote: »
    Right and have my mother roaring at me do I want my dinner/am I going to the shop now/will I answer the phone/what am I doing etc etc or their grandchildren running in on top of me - they have NO boundaries. I would actually be mortified for my students to see that living situation. I am not willing to risk it to be honest.

Overall I’d like to point out that while it may seem that a teacher is doing very little you have no idea what is going on in their lives.

I’m struggling as it is being at home caring for my elderly parents. The lack of contact with friends, the fact my wedding has been cancelled and I can’t see my fiance. My nerves are in shreds, I can’t sleep and I also have to worry about not getting in trouble for lack of internet access. When in reality I am trying my very best to stay on top of things but I feel like I’m sinking as I have no routine in my life.

Let me back in a classroom and I will gladly teach from there.

With respect you are definitely not the only person in this situation. So many people are forced to conduct zoom meetings while homeschooling some children, entertaining younger children and coming up against all the other obstacles that this pandemic has thrown our way. The difference is we can’t simply say I don’t want to do it because it does not suit my personal circumstances! Well we can but then it might be best to start looking for another job!
    Everyone is struggling with this but you can’t use your struggles as an excuse to just flat out refuse to engage in a way that makes you uncomfortable.
    A friend has three small children, a husband working full time and the contact she’s had with her students, especially exam students has been intense. She is wrecked! Anyone working from home at the moment realises it’s not the normal working day and is just getting on with it.
    At least she knows she’ll have a few months off in the summer while that struggle continues for the rest of the families working from home and caring for others be it children or elderly parents.

pwurple wrote: »
    Don't be a prat about it. We are all dealing with different circumstances.

Our neighbours, 4 primary age children (twins in there). Both parents work in the hospital, doing opposite shifts at the moment to cover childcare. They put the kids watching TV and screens for hours each day so they can get a few hours of sleep themselves, to function. And are wracked with guilt about not educating them enough.

You sneer at people for letting their kids fall behind? What choice do they have?

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask teachers to be flexible where they can. It is their job.

That is a very unfortunate circumstance that those parents are in, and I'm sure it's the same in many houses up and down the country. I really do feel sorry for families like that.
    You ask for flexibility from the teachers? Just curious as to what you mean by this?
    Is it just their particular teachers/ school?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I hope children don't carry the same level of vitriol into school everyday that many parents and posters here seem to harbour towards teachers and schools

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Simdruid

I think at a time like this, which is not "normal" for any of us (I'm a parent not a teacher) we should consider that teachers might not be responding because they are in hospital, or a family member is in hospital, or worse. The situation we're all in right now is pretty frightening, and can be overwhelming for some people to think about. We can't expect "full service". I'm a stay at home parent, so I don't have the issue that many of you do with trying to fit everything in, however we're still not doing loads of school because my son is in primary school and I know he'll catch up. We're doing a little bit of the work suggested by school every morning, also exercising with Joe Wicks at 9am, watching the new TG4 school at 10 and the RTE school at 11. I'm fully aware that my son's teacher also has children to look after and entertain and help with schoolwork, and I don't expect contact every day (although when I have sent a query by e-mail I have received a pretty prompt response).

My main concern re: school being off right now is that he's missing the company of his peers. I've worked this out with a couple of friends and he gets to skype with another kid most afternoons and they play games together.

If schools go back soon I am unsure that we'll be able to send him as a member of our household is in a high risk category and would have to then make more effort to isolate within the household.

Teach30 - don't feel you have to justify yourself to us at all. I like the suggestion of sitting in a car though, if you have access to one. Also if you are in an area with decent mobile coverage a GoMo sim is only 13eur pcm with unlimited data, if you could get hold of a broadband modem and stick a GoMo sim in it you might find that useful. Also, you could record just sound, the file would be much smaller to upload and there would be no background to give away that you were in the car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Important thing to do with that phone call from the parent is record the time and date and number and basic content of the conversation and any follow up you have the details of the abuse. Work in the coal face and have received same and ask them to put it writing soon softened the cough. We ourselves are grateful to the way our teachers are trying their best. What annoying is the poor teacher.
    To be honest I'm usually diligent about stuff like that and wouldn't allow somebody to take their problems out on me. But at a time like this I just listened very sympathetically and I probably won't follow it up except to try and facilitate them as best I can. We all have a lot of sh!t going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭JizzBeans

A lot of non-teachers passing unfair judgement here. Why is there an expectation that teachers will "work around this" or "come up with alternative solutions"?

Some Boardies are never happy, they think teachers and their salaries are a joke but then expect teachers to fix the current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

JizzBeans wrote: »
    A lot of non-teachers passing unfair judgement here. Why is there an expectation that teachers will "work around this" or "come up with alternative solutions"?

Some Boardies are never happy, they think teachers and their salaries are a joke but then expect teachers to fix the current situation.

If they cant work then they shouldn't get paid maybe? Some teachers on this thread seem to have the most spurious reasons why they should get paid for doing nothing.

If they cant work then they shouldn't get paid maybe? Some teachers on this thread seem to have the most spurious reasons why they should get paid for doing nothing.

Be fair. No teacher on this thread has said they are doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Caledonia

As the teacher said in Irish Times re colleagues ‘if you don’t have a laptop can I suggest you buy one’

Caledonia wrote: »
    As the teacher said in Irish Times re colleagues ‘if you don’t have a laptop can I suggest you buy one’

I'd tend to agree with that but also understand that devices are being shared at home and kids and other workers are using them.

I use my own laptop in school all the time and am using it now for all the work I am sending out, correcting and for engagement with kids.

Overall, though, it's pretty clear that schools are hopelessly ill prepared for something like this and staff have none of the things they need to teach from home.

My wife is off on maternity leave at the moment, but she has everything she needs to work from home - laptop, docking station at home paid for by company, mobile dongle etc etc.

They also have a scheme in place for people who work from home and many of their staff had home offices set up and paid for by the company.

Maybe one thing that will come out of this is that all workers need to be prepared and set up to work remotely, including teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭JizzBeans

Weather I get paid or not, is not the issue here. I'm simply making the point that teaching via conference or online classrooms is a non runner.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

As far as I can see, the focus should be on the critical years -6th class preparaing for First year, Junior and Leaving cert, after that, focus on the children who have additional learning issues that may mean it would be difficult to get them back on track when the schools re-open.

Our setup here is that I've brought home my work PC. OH has his work laptop and apart from that, the small lad has an ancient and cracked ipad. The school was caught on the hop so couldn't even send home all their books in time. We get a list of tasks from the school each week. It's fairly light and to be honest, it's all we can manage, what with us both working from home as well.

He's only 8 so my focus has been on how the isolation from every other kid he knows is affecting him. Schoolwork can always be caught up on. Chances are when they schools do reopen they'll need to redo the work because there's bound to be a few in the class who for various reasons, were unable to complete the homework.

Most teachers are doing their best. Most parents are too, as are their children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

I hope children don't carry the same level of vitriol into school everyday that many parents and posters here seem to harbour towards teachers and schools

Thankfully they don't because their experience of school is far more positive than their parents obviously.

Advertisement