Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School not using Video Conferencing but lashing out the homework

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

This sums up the attitude of the teachers in my school.

"Not my job figure out this online teaching stuff, and I'm going to wait until someone tells me exactly what to do and gives me laptop/tablet/broadband/training/software/etc etc etc before I'm going to do anything".

Teachers can deny it, but this is the attitude I'm hearing from my colleagues.

Good to hear it. You could learn from them. Coordinated approaches must be taken. If not, with different standards offered (IT competency, access times, feedback), some parents will feel short-changed. It is the job of advisory bodies to have plans for such scenarios. Surely they have the bare elements in place for such a plan, or even know what questions to ask and who to ask. ie. look abroad, consolidate a plan and disseminate it.
    Your colleagues are wise enough to know that best efforts count for naught when people are frustrated. You'd do well to listen to them and take some of their wisdom on board. Teachers, by and large, want to teach. Infrastructure /comms/ delivery of online courses are currently not their forté. If they get guidance, I am sure they will shoulder their burden. Having worked in online services from the early beginnings in the late 90's in Ireland, we are where we are now with rural broadband where we were with rural dialup 20 years ago. Loads of bright ideas but an inability for users to UPLOAD particularly. And so a lot of great white hopes crashed and burned over the years.
    There surely are minimum requirements that could be established so that a baseline of activity could be carried out. But expecting even a modicum of the current syllabus to be delivered via video conferencing, without much content preparation and expert guidance, is simply daft. You're not teaching ACA to motivated adults paying through the nose. You're attempting, at extremely short notice, to teach young childfren and adolescents in an alien teaching environment (THEIR home).

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Stewie Griffin

Why do you want to know this?

I have a feeling that whatever I answer will be wrong. I've already had teachers trawling through my post history in an attempt to discredit me. Is this what you are up to as well or do you genuinely want to know?

I'm asking because I can't help but notice that you are very quick to tell the forum what your colleagues are not doing. On the other hand, you have been asked a few times what you are doing for your students, and you haven't answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

I have a feeling that whatever I answer will be wrong. I've already had teachers trawling through my post history in an attempt to discredit me. Is this what you are up to as well or do you genuinely want to know?

You mean the time you told me to go find proof of you disregarding other teachers experiences and I complied?That hardly counts as "trawling" particularly when you told me to do so.

Anyway, we are all in this together. Why be so divisive? Teachers should be making as much effort as possible to continue educating their students with regard to the particular set of circumstances they and their students are in. As long as genuine effort is made most parents and students are very understanding.constantly focusing on negativity isn't healthy or fair to any of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Wow but some teachers attitudes in this thread stinks. It's easy to tell the ones that want to do nothing when they have resorted to trying to bully teachinggal.i can imagine yous sitting in the staff room in your little cliques.
    Yous have asked numerous times to have the thread closed down but thankfully it's not in the teaching and lecturing forum so people are getting to voice their opinions and experiences.
    Thank you teachinggal123 for sharing your experiences of colleagues and all that you are doing yourself.
    Don't mind the minority of bullies on here. At least at the end of this you can be proud of yourself that you tried to do the best for your pupils instead of sitting on your hole coming up with excuses for doing nothing and people to blame for not giving "direction".

Also comfy seats- holy fcuk that's a good one!

Wow but some teachers attitudes in this thread stinks. It's easy to tell the ones that want to do nothing when they have resorted to trying to bully teachinggal.i can imagine yous sitting in the staff room in your little cliques.
    Yous have asked numerous times to have the thread closed down but thankfully it's not in the teaching and lecturing forum so people are getting to voice their opinions and experiences.
    Thank you teachinggal123 for sharing your experiences of colleagues and all that you are doing yourself.
    Don't mind the minority of bullies on here. At least at the end of this you can be proud of yourself that you tried to do the best for your pupils instead of sitting on your hole coming up with excuses for doing nothing and people to blame for not giving "direction".

See, that's the thing. I can't see where she has told us the details of her doing her best and not sitting back. Maybe you could?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I want to know what you do seeing as you hold your colleagues in such utter contempt. Also curiosity is getting the better of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

I want to know what you do seeing as you hold your colleagues in such utter contempt. Also curiosity is getting the better of me.

I am telling the truth about what my colleagues are doing. How is that holding my profession in "utter contempt"? Why should I lie about this? Other teachers on this thread have said the same thing!!! See post 494 for goodness sake ... that is the exact attitude I am seeing in my place!!! Why attack me???

As to those asking what I am doing ... I have outlined this already and wont bother saying anything else as I'll be attacked for bringing the teaching profession into disrepute no matter what I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

God I would certainly hope that disagreeing with someone wouldn't be seen as bullying. Disagreement and debate os healthy and normal, nerves are frayed and people are feeling under pressure but defending oneself and ones profession against what one believes to be spurious attacks isn't bullying. Neither is asking for evidence or providing evidence to counter an argument. Teachinggal123 is entitled to her opinion but equally others are entitled to disagree.

Anyway this thread keeps going along the same pattern. I am bowing out as I feel I have nothing of value to add. Best of luck to my colleagues who are doing their best (cop on to those that aren't) and to parents and students try as much as possible to ignore speculation both here and in mainstream media. Focus on your own classes/teachers and keeping the advice your local school is giving.

I am telling the truth about what my colleagues are doing. How is that holding my profession in "utter contempt"? Why should I lie about this? Other teachers on this thread have said the same thing!!! See post 494 for goodness sake ... that is the exact attitude I am seeing in my place!!!

As to those asking what I am doing ... I have outlined this already and wont bother saying anything else as I'll be attacked for bring the teaching profession into disrepute no matter what I say.

Would you show me where I can see it? It's around the fifth time I have asked. I don't think it's an unreasonable question.

I am telling the truth about what my colleagues are doing. How is that holding my profession in "utter contempt"? Why should I lie about this? Other teachers on this thread have said the same thing!!! See post 494 for goodness sake ... that is the exact attitude I am seeing in my place!!! Why attack me???

As to those asking what I am doing ... I have outlined this already and wont bother saying anything else as I'll be attacked for bringing the teaching profession into disrepute no matter what I say.

Just tell us. You haven't really told us anything. Tell us what technology you are using, what methodologies you are using, etc.etc.....

You really are so so evasive when it comes to a direct question about what it is that you yourself as a teacher are doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Would you show me where I can see it? It's around the fifth time I have asked. I don't think it's an unreasonable question.

You won't receive an answer to that question other than accusations of bullying , sly digs, personnel insults and teachers circling the wagons. I’m far more interested in what the poster has done to address such ineptitude in her school. If I was in such a situation I would feel duty bound to raise the issue with management and escalate to BOM level if necessary. After all as teachers we have a duty of care to our students. But then again that’s just my take on the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Just tell us. You haven't really told us anything. Tell us what technology you are using, what methodologies you are using, etc.etc.....

You really are so so evasive when it comes to a direct question about what it is that you yourself as a teacher are doing?

Stop the witch hunt pal, there is no need

lulublue22 wrote: »
    You won't receive an answer to that question other than accusations of bullying , sly digs, personnel insults and teachers circling the wagons. I’m far more interested in what the poster has done to address such ineptitude in her school. If I was in such a situation I would feel duty bound to raise the issue with management and escalate to BOM level if necessary. After all as teachers we have a duty of care to our students. But then again that’s just my take on the situation.

So you want the young teachers who ste being proactive instead of sitting on their @rses complaining to bring this complaint to management and even the BOM?
    I'd say the majority of the complaints are about forty plus teachers and "union" teachers.
    Do you really think that is a good career move for a young teacher trying to get on with her job? Would you have done it back when you began teaching?

krissovo wrote: »
    Stop the witch hunt pal, there is no need

What witch hunt? It is a perfectly good question and I'm not attacking the poster or ever have and never will. I'm just so so curious what it is that they do that makes them think they are so much better then their colleagues? Maybe if they shared then we could all learn from it. I'm doing my bit but it can always change if I see or hear something different.

So you want the young teachers who ste being proactive instead of sitting on their @rses complaining to bring this complaint to management and even the BOM?
    I'd say the majority of the complaints are about forty plus teachers and "union" teachers.
    Do you really think that is a good career move for a young teacher trying to get on with her job? Would you have done it back when you began teaching?

Absolutely - children get one chance at an education. In my opinion if you are a teacher you have an obligation to do the best for each and every child you teach. The day you stop feeling like that then you are no longer fit to teach no matter whether you are 22 , 32, 42 or 62. This is something I feel very strongly about and I make no apologies to anyone re same. I have a lot of experience in DEIS and I see what a difference education/ teachers / school can make in a child's life.
    I would have no problem raising issues with principal / BOM. All teachers have a duty of care to their students full stop.

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Absolutely - children get one chance at an education. In my opinion if you are a teacher you have an obligation to do the best for each and every child you teach. The day you stop feeling like that then you are no longer fit to teach no matter whether you are 22 , 32, 42 or 62. This is something I feel very strongly about and I make no apologies to anyone re same. I have a lot of experience in DEIS and I see what a difference education/ teachers / school can make in a child's life.
    I would have no problem raising issues with principal / BOM. All teachers have a duty of care to their students full stop.

Im sorry but that is horse sh1t.A young teacher going against the the older teachers in her school? Look at the vitriol and questions she is being subjected to here and nobody even knows who she is or where her school is and you say that as a young teacher you would have complained about all these?
    That is without a doubt a lie and very unbecoming of you when giving this advice to this girl about what she should do.
    Her best bet is to do her best for her students and forget about the wasters. It doesn't preclude her from telling the truth about them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Well i got an email this evening from the trickiest of all the tricky parents and she is delighted with the approach I am using so I'll sleep well tonight. And before ye start I am not looking for a pat on the head but at least I'm confident that what our school is doibg is working well.

Seriously though Teachinggal, every school should have a whistleblowing policy in place. (I'll never get the three hours back that we spent sitting round table drafting ours, thinking "is this what we've come to?")
    If you still feel strongly that staff (I'll not say colleagues) in your school are doing nothing and failing their pupils, then get the wheels in motion. The procedure is in place for this to happen.
    However, if you feel that they are not working to YOUR standard, well that's a different story.

Im sorry but that is horse sh1t.A young teacher going against the the older teachers in her school? Look at the vitriol and questions she is being subjected to here and nobody even knows who she is or where her school is and you say that as a young teacher you would have complained about all these?
    That is without a doubt a lie and very unbecoming of you when giving this advice to this girl about what she should do.
    Her best bet is to do her best for her students and forget about the wasters. It doesn't preclude her from telling the truth about them though.

Well no vitriol from me but she hasn't answered any questions out to her regarding how she is operating during this crisis. She is just so dismissive and evasive for some reason. I'm very curious as to what it is that she is doing.

heldel00 wrote: »
    Well i got an email this evening from the trickiest of all the tricky parents and she is delighted with the approach I am using so I'll sleep well tonight. And before ye start I am not looking for a pat on the head but at least I'm confident that what our school is doibg is working well.

Seriously though Teachinggal, every school should have a whistleblowing policy in place. (I'll never get the three hours back that we spent sitting round table drafting ours, thinking "is this what we've come to?")
    If you still feel strongly that staff (I'll not say colleagues) in your school are doing nothing and failing their pupils, then get the wheels in motion. The procedure is in place for this to happen.
    However, if you feel that they are not working to YOUR standard, well that's a different story.

Nail on head perhaps with that last sentence but then again we'll never know as she won't answer anything.

You asked a question. I answered - you chose not to believe my answer that’s your prerogative. It doesn’t change what I believe in or how I chose to deal with issues that arise in my school. I would expect any teacher who has concerns re the quality of teaching and learning in their school to raise that issue. How else can we allow children to reach their full potential.

it’s actually funny - teachers are a big pack of wasters - teachers unions too strong , no oversight wouldn’t get that in private sector etc etc . Teachers post indicating that issue re colleagues doing nothing should be raised at management level to be called liars and very unbecoming to suggest that to a young teacher. She should keep the head down etc etc . Seriously ?? How do people expect things to change . You can’t win really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

What witch hunt? It is a perfectly good question and I'm not attacking the poster or ever have and never will. I'm just so so curious what it is that they do that makes them think they are so much better then their colleagues? Maybe if they shared then we could all learn from it. I'm doing my bit but it can always change if I see or hear something different.

Here we go with the subtle bullying. This is what I face every day from colleagues. Do you really, really think I can challenge senior people and my Principal about their actions? Especially when I've already said the Principal supports them in doing nothing? I've already had a huge run-in with management earlier this year and don't fancy another one.

(Btw, my Principal is a huge bully and makes many of the same snide comments you have on this thread about me being "better than my colleagues" and "knowing everything" so I know bullying when I see it.)

For those asking me what I'm doing I'll say it again - most teachers in my school are doing the absolute minimum. They are using all the excuses in post 494, i.e. no training/no official school laptop/broadband/ etc etc etc. You can see teachers saying the same on this thread. I've heard on our WhatsApp group that teachers wont engage because they are contracted for "classroom time" only. They wont use personal laptop or phone for work. One has even said they wont use their personal broadband connection for work!! I've seen people say they have no space at home, that they have their own kids to mind, that they wont use Zoom or any other non-ETB system because of GDPR.

There is huge pressure NOT to do anything or use technology. There is huge pressure to conform with the majority view of the senior people. Us young ones cant fight that.

So for those criticising me I ask this. What in the name of f3uk - specifically please - do you expect me to do???

My only outlet is to come here and tell the truth, and I'm getting hammered by teaching colleagues for doing that.

/edit/ Teachers know this is happening and that what I'm saying is accurate for some schools. I'm not sure why they wont admit this and I hate the "circle the wagons" at all costs. Tell the truth and be honest ffs!!!

Apologies ... I'm angry here and in a state because of all the negative reaction I'm getting for being honest.

Here we go with the subtle bullying. This is what I face every day from colleagues. Do you really, really think I can challenge senior people and my Principal about their actions? Especially when I've already said the Principal supports them in doing nothing? I've already had a huge run-in with management earlier this year and don't fancy another one.

(Btw, my Principal is a huge bully and makes many of the same snide comments you have on this thread about me being "better than my colleagues" and "knowing everything" so I know bullying when I see it.)

For those asking me what I'm doing I'll say it again - most teachers in my school are doing the absolute minimum. They are using all the excuses in post 494, i.e. no training/no official school laptop/broadband/ etc etc etc. You can see teachers saying the same on this thread. I've heard on our WhatsApp group that teachers wont engage because they are contracted for "classroom time" only. They wont use personal laptop or phone for work. One has even said they wont use their personal broadband connection for work!! I've seen people say they have no space at home, that they have their own kids to mind, that they wont use Zoom or any other non-ETB system because of GDPR.

There is huge pressure NOT to do anything or use technology. There is huge pressure to conform with the majority view of the senior people. us young ones cant fight that.

So for those criticising me I ask this. What in the name of f3uk - specifically please - do you expect me to do???

My only outlet is to come here and tell the truth, and I'm getting hammered by colleagues for doing that.

Again WHAT ARE YOU doing? Huge list of things your colleagues aren't doing, excuses they have and gripes against them. You aren't actually answering the questions that some of us have asked.

Actually on the pressure to conform thing. In my school there was a general consensus to just have email contact for work. Personally I looked into Google classroom and wanted to use that as I preferred to have some form of interaction with my class. Wasn't beheaded by any of the other staff for doing so. I'm a relatively new teacher. I'm an LTP for reference.

There is huge pressure NOT to do anything or use technology. There is huge pressure to conform with the majority view of the senior people. us young ones cant fight that.

My only outlet is to come here and tell the truth, and I'm getting hammered by colleagues for doing that.

But you still haven't told us what you are doing.

Not sure if anyone has read the thread title but it's not named "what's teachinggal123's methods during lockdown".
    If she doesn't want to answer the two or three people that are so concerned about it that's her prerogative.

Not sure if anyone has read the thread title but it's not named "what's teachinggal123's methods during lockdown".
    If she doesn't want to answer the two or three people that are so concerned about it that's her prerogative.

It sure is but it shouldn't stop people asking her if they so choose to. Something not quite right with the way she chooses to constantly use the 'bullying' card to deflect questions that aren't in anyway mean or nasty towards her.
    They are legitimate questions based on what she has said.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Apologies ... I'm angry here and in a state because of all the negative reaction I'm getting for being honest.
    Rather than throwing out accusations of bullying and getting yourself stressed over this may I request you stay out of the thread

It's not a threadban at this stage, but more posts like this and I will need to take it further

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this post in-thread

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Dude you are so passive aggressive you could bottle it. Its not constructive, plenty of other posts highlighting what is working, no need for them post their strategy based on their situation so you can nit pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

It sure is but it shouldn't stop people asking her if they so choose to. Something not quite right with the way she chooses to constantly use the 'bullying' card to deflect questions that aren't in anyway mean or nasty towards her.
    They are legitimate questions based on what she has said.

I’m private sector all my life but I know what happens when a culture of low expectations comes up against someone diligent and conscientious so even if that poster isn’t a beacon of technological mastery in the field of teaching it doesn’t undermine their perspective. If the workplace is as they describe there could be subtle consequences for finding solutions to problems others don’t want fixed.

Surprised at how this is playing out here. But shouldn’t be.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Coralcoras

Cannot believe this thread is still trending.

Individuals or entire staff should not be targeted here. The problem is systemic and due to patchy infrastructure across the nation. The teaching profession and pupils (the other participants in all of this), cannot switch gears overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Yesterday evening my daughters teacher emailed me asking how I was getting on. And offered a zoom call with myself and my daughter to catchup and keep us all in the loop. I had suggested that a few weeks ago and it looks like its happening.
    I emailed back and she asked was it ok to call me. And she did. I explained oursituation to her that I need to work until 5 but she could do it with my ex.
    She said she could do both separately no problem. And even offered to do mine after 6pm during the week whatever day I wanted.
    She was really great about it and explained that one of the hardest things is that there are a few only children in the class and that its particularly hard for them. Not the school work, but the isolation, so the teachers are paying a lot of attantion to those kids and the ones they think are taking this harder than the rest, even though they are all finding it hard.
    I think thats a great result.

So the whatsapp group lit up last night. She must have been in touch with other parents too. The usual suspects giving out.
    Here is a sample of the messages. All of them form the same 4 parents who never do anything but complain tbh.

"Did you get CALLED IN for a one on one like you were being called to the principals office?"

"Im going to give her a piece of my mind."

"I dont have time to be skyping the teacher."

"No look, she is trying to get us to do HER job."

"She wants to meet me at 7pm. Does she think I have nothing else to do?"

"What is she going to accuse xxxxx of now?"

"She never called me. Im going to get onto her tomorrow to find out shy"

Anyway, you get the message. Pure selfishness from them.

I was very happy with it and think she is going above and beyond tbh.
    And a lot of the other more normal parents have actually broken off into another whatsapp group that is much more help to us all. That main one is toxic at this stage.

Advertisement