Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School not using Video Conferencing but lashing out the homework

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Yesterday evening my daughters teacher emailed me asking how I was getting on. And offered a zoom call with myself and my daughter to catchup and keep us all in the loop. I had suggested that a few weeks ago and it looks like its happening.
    I emailed back and she asked was it ok to call me. And she did. I explained oursituation to her that I need to work until 5 but she could do it with my ex.
    She said she could do both separately no problem. And even offered to do mine after 6pm during the week whatever day I wanted.
    She was really great about it and explained that one of the hardest things is that there are a few only children in the class and that its particularly hard for them. Not the school work, but the isolation, so the teachers are paying a lot of attantion to those kids and the ones they think are taking this harder than the rest, even though they are all finding it hard.
    I think thats a great result.

So the whatsapp group lit up last night. She must have been in touch with other parents too. The usual suspects giving out.
    Here is a sample of the messages. All of them form the same 4 parents who never do anything but complain tbh.

"Did you get CALLED IN for a one on one like you were being called to the principals office?"

"Im going to give her a piece of my mind."

"I dont have time to be skyping the teacher."

"No look, she is trying to get us to do HER job."

"She wants to meet me at 7pm. Does she think I have nothing else to do?"

"What is she going to accuse xxxxx of now?"

"She never called me. Im going to get onto her tomorrow to find out shy"

Anyway, you get the message. Pure selfishness from them.

I was very happy with it and think she is going above and beyond tbh.
    And a lot of the other more normal parents have actually broken off into another whatsapp group that is much more help to us all. That main one is toxic at this stage.

WhatsApp has replaced the school gate as the source of gossip and giving out. No matter what some of us teachers do we won't suit everyone. I asked mine what was working for them and what works for one, really annoys another. You really can't win in this situation because we as teachers cannot really control it. We can control when things happen, how they happen or why they happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Treppen

Yesterday evening my daughters teacher emailed me asking how I was getting on. And offered a zoom call with myself and my daughter to catchup and keep us all in the loop. I had suggested that a few weeks ago and it looks like its happening.
    I emailed back and she asked was it ok to call me. And she did. I explained oursituation to her that I need to work until 5 but she could do it with my ex.
    She said she could do both separately no problem. And even offered to do mine after 6pm during the week whatever day I wanted.
    She was really great about it and explained that one of the hardest things is that there are a few only children in the class and that its particularly hard for them. Not the school work, but the isolation, so the teachers are paying a lot of attantion to those kids and the ones they think are taking this harder than the rest, even though they are all finding it hard.
    I think thats a great result.

So the whatsapp group lit up last night. She must have been in touch with other parents too. The usual suspects giving out.
    Here is a sample of the messages. All of them form the same 4 parents who never do anything but complain tbh.

"Did you get CALLED IN for a one on one like you were being called to the principals office?"

"Im going to give her a piece of my mind."

"I dont have time to be skyping the teacher."

"No look, she is trying to get us to do HER job."

"She wants to meet me at 7pm. Does she think I have nothing else to do?"

"What is she going to accuse xxxxx of now?"

"She never called me. Im going to get onto her tomorrow to find out shy"

Anyway, you get the message. Pure selfishness from them.

I was very happy with it and think she is going above and beyond tbh.
    And a lot of the other more normal parents have actually broken off into another whatsapp group that is much more help to us all. That main one is toxic at this stage.

Wow the bitterness towards teachers is certainly alive and well.
    That was very thoughtful of them to reach out. Even if it's not a full day of zoom teaching it's nice to contact.

A parent organised a zoom meetup for my youngest classmates last week, it was hilarious chaos.

Teachers aren't 'working from home' like it's a normal thing you switch into.
    They are in their home.
    During a pandemic.
    Trying to work.

WhatsApp has replaced the school gate as the source of gossip and giving out. No matter what some of us teachers do we won't suit everyone. I asked mine what was working for them and what works for one, really annoys another. You really can't win in this situation because we as teachers cannot really control it. We can control when things happen, how they happen or why they happen.

I've asked the parents in my class for feedback and they have been great, mostly saying they are happy with the way things are going but also suggesting some tweaks that could make things better. It was very constructive and I've taken on board their input.

I also called some of the children's parents that haven't been engaging as well as hoped and got an insight into some of the stress some people are dealing with at the moment. I think offering my help and letting them know that all I expected them to do was what they could manage was appreciated and hopefully it will help them to engage a bit more.

One of the parents who hasn't engaged at all and has always been difficult to reach tried to pretend I had the wrong number and hung up on me!

Overall, I've been very impressed with the parents of the kids in my class and I think they also appreciate that I have very young kids at home and am doing my best to keep the show on the road.

I don't understand why some parents seem to have such resentment towards teachers as the previous post suggested. A friend of mine showed me a parents whatssapp group and some of the stuff in it was mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I can totally understand why parents build up a resentment towards teachers. Parents in my experience start off quite positive with their attitudes towards teachers. I know I did. I was the first to defend them, always played devils advocate when another parent may be ranting. But as time went on and my kids got older and their needs grew I saw what I felt was a growing culture I didnt like.
    As a parent I dont feel teachers are genrally held to any sort of standard, the school year and your childs experience very much depends on the teacher. I have been though primary and secondary and the teachers I have come across who are doing the bare minimum outweighs those who are doing a good job never mind exceeding. When I have challenged it I have gotten comments such as, "do you have any idea how busy I am" do you know how many students I see a week" "im not willing to engage with you if you have nothing positive to say"
    I wouldnt have held any job for any length of time if that was my attitude with the people I was paid to serve.
    When I speak to other parents they say similar. So then you as a parent start to develop an opinion of teachers as a whole. Is it fair that parents tar all teachers with the same brush, No. Its never fair but its also not surprising.

I have to consciously really try to be open minded because I want my kids to have a positive experience at school.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

jrosen wrote: »
    I can totally understand why parents build up a resentment towards teachers. Parents in my experience start off quite positive with their attitudes towards teachers. I know I did. I was the first to defend them, always played devils advocate when another parent may be ranting. But as time went on and my kids got older and their needs grew I saw what I felt was a growing culture I didnt like.
    As a parent I dont feel teachers are genrally held to any sort of standard, the school year and your childs experience very much depends on the teacher. I have been though primary and secondary and the teachers I have come across who are doing the bare minimum outweighs those who are doing a good job never mind exceeding. When I have challenged it I have gotten comments such as, "do you have any idea how busy I am" do you know how many students I see a week" "im not willing to engage with you if you have nothing positive to say"
    I wouldnt have held any job for any length of time if that was my attitude with the people I was paid to serve.
    When I speak to other parents they say similar. So then you as a parent start to develop an opinion of teachers as a whole. Is it fair that parents tar all teachers with the same brush, No. Its never fair but its also not surprising.

I have to consciously really try to be open minded because I want my kids to have a positive experience at school.

The way I look at it is I am an expert at my job. Ive been doing it for 20 years. Nobody who does not do that job for many years gets any airtime from me when they criticise others doing my job. If they have been doing my job 20 years or even 5 or 10, I will listen. I am the expert. My colleagues are the experts. The person who comes in and thinks they know everything is just dumb.

I apply this to jobs outside of my field of expertise. I would not even consider the possibility that my knowledge or even my idea of what their job entails is in any way accurate, because I know nothing of it. I may think I know, but I am fully aware that I dont and I would be dumb to think otherwise.

Let me add that I work in the private sector and have nothing to do with teaching.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

The way I look at it is I am an expert at my job. Ive been doing it for 20 years. Nobody who does not do that job for many years gets any airtime from me when they criticise others doing the my job. If they have been doing my job 20 years or even 5 or 10, I will listen. I am the expert. My colleagues are the experts. The person who comes in and thinks they know everything is just dumb.

I apply this to jobs outside of my field of expertise. I would not even consider the possibility that my knowledge or even my idea of what their job entails is in any way accurate, because I know nothing of it. I may think I know, but I am fully aware that I dont and I would be dumb to think otherwise.

Well said. I don’t think I could be as measured responding to the ignorant post you were replying to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

The way I look at it is I am an expert at my job. Ive been doing it for 20 years. Nobody who does not do that job for many years gets any airtime from me when they criticise others doing the my job. If they have been doing my job 20 years or even 5 or 10, I will listen. I am the expert. My colleagues are the experts. The person who comes in and thinks they know everything is just dumb.

That is a really interesting perspective. So you wouldn't be critical of any service provider if you didn't have any experience in the job? Say service in a restaurant? Getting your car serviced? I presume it also means you couldn't be critical of politicians ever as presumably you haven't been a politician.

The way I look at it is I am an expert at my job. Ive been doing it for 20 years. Nobody who does not do that job for many years gets any airtime from me when they criticise others doing my job. If they have been doing my job 20 years or even 5 or 10, I will listen. I am the expert. My colleagues are the experts. The person who comes in and thinks they know everything is just dumb.

Let me add that I work in the private sector and have nothing to do with teaching.
    I never said I criticized a teacher, I said challenged.

Would you not challenge someone? So if you had a workman in your home and you weren't happy with what they had done you wouldnt challenge that, you would pay him and shrug your shoulders simply because he is the expert? You dont questioned your doctor? Your mjorgagte advisor? You simply accept they are the expert therefore infallible?

We should all be challenged every day to be better. There is no such thing as perfect, we are all capable of being complacent. If we all as a society were held more accountable wouldnt it be better for everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭FeirmeoirtTed

Id be interested to know how many teachers would you say you have had direct experience with?

Id be interested to know how many teachers would you say you have had direct experience with?

I wouldnt say experience i would say interactions.

Over my children and from primary into secondary, If I had to guess? close to 50.

Mostly minimal interactions, the annual PT. If my kids are happy, and seem to be managing the school work I see no need to make contact. So my contact outside of that would have been where I needed to raise a concern..

• Advertisement

Did you ever stop to think that maybe the problem is you rather than a succession of teachers?

I wouldnt say experience i would say interactions.

Over my children and from primary into secondary, If I had to guess? close to 50.

Mostly minimal interactions, the annual PT. If my kids are happy, and seem to be managing the school work I see no need to make contact. So my contact outside of that would have been where I needed to raise a concern..

So what your saying is that let's for argument sake say 30 of those teachers in your experience were not working to the appropriate standard, they were doing the bare minimum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Wow. I'd say you get a good response when you use this line.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe the problem is you rather than a succession of teachers?

I dont consider a parent raising concerns as the problem tbh.

I absolutely accept that there are some parents who are never happy and some parents who make teachers like a living hell. But I wouldnt fall into that category.

So what your saying is that let's for argument sake say 30 of those teachers in your experience were not working to the appropriate standard, they were doing the bare minimum?

Apologies I should have clarified or been more clear. As a parent my interactions are minimal with most teachers as we have only one opportunity per year. The teachers that I would have had more interactions i have been less than impressed with. These would have been teachers in classes where one of my children would have been stuggling in class.

The point really is I can understand why parents develop a negative opinion/attitude towards teachers.

If parents and teachers could be on the same page it will benefit the student the most. I wish we had a more collective approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Like any job, and I mean any job, private or public, you will find all standards of people in the profession and indeed there's no such thing as a person who consistently delivers the same levels of service, or reacts the same, or who is motivated every day at work.
    Indeed there are very different challenges in teaching various ages and abilities of people.
    Teachers generally do the best they can while trying to keep all stakeholders happy which is generally what most people in most jobs do with exceptions.

Things are by no means perfect but online your rarely hear the thousands of food stories or anecdotes (about anything, not just teachers) and I think in general you'll find most interactions with teachers are positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭helpful

The problem as I see it is that people think they are experts in teaching simply by completing primary school. That’s just not true. There is a lot that goes on unseen and teachers have a job whereby they are “on” from the minute they park their car until the minute they leave. A lot of jobs don’t have this sort of intensity so the last thing a teacher needs is some parents coming in screaming the odds and telling them how to do their job in their classroom.
    Teaching, unlike other jobs does not translate well to working from home, especially in primary schools. There is little training in IT in teacher training colleges which is a flaw on the side of the DoE. This combined with the fact that many teachers are from agricultural backgrounds and in turn are likely to live in rural Ireland means that some will not have access to internet and online teaching.
    A friend of mine had to move home to care for her mother and now has no internet, she commutes to the city to upload work and answer emails from the children in her class and their parents every second day. She has google classroom set so the work is uploaded each morning but wants to be active in answering emails. She is trying her best at a difficult time so it is frustrating to see people tarring all teachers with the same brush.
    Every teacher I know is engaging with students regularly, one friend is uploading work twice a week and checking in on a Friday and using the weekends to correct all the work, this is the least contact I’ve heard any teacher having.
    Everyone thinks they’re an expert in how to teach, it’s a pity more of these experts didn’t go into teaching. Also to say that teachers are not held accountable to anyone is just ridiculous and shows how little people know about the sector.

helpful wrote: »
    The problem as I see it is that people think they are experts in teaching simply by completing primary school. That’s just not true. There is a lot that goes on unseen and teachers have a job whereby they are “on” from the minute they park their car until the minute they leave. A lot of jobs don’t have this sort of intensity so the last thing a teacher needs is some parents coming in screaming the odds and telling them how to do their job in their classroom.
    Teaching, unlike other jobs does not translate well to working from home, especially in primary schools. There is little training in IT in teacher training colleges which is a flaw on the side of the DoE. This combined with the fact that many teachers are from agricultural backgrounds and in turn are likely to live in rural Ireland means that some will not have access to internet and online teaching.
    A friend of mine had to move home to care for her mother (her dad recently died) so she has no internet, she commutes to the city to upload work and answer emails from the children in her class and their parents every second day. She has google classroom set so the work is uploaded each morning but wants to be active in answering emails. She is trying her best at a difficult time so it is frustrating to see people tarring all teachers with the same brush.
    Every teacher I know is engaging with students regularly, one friend is uploading work twice a week and checking in on a Friday and using the weekends to correct all the work, this is the least contact I’ve heard any teacher having.
    Everyone thinks they’re an expert in how to teach, it’s a pity more of these experts didn’t go into teaching. Also to say that teachers are not held accountable to anyone is just ridiculous and shows how little people know about the sector.

No one is claiming to be an expert. No one said anything about screaming at a teacher in a classroom. Thats never acceptable no matter what line of work your in. But surely if a parent is concerned, either about the emotional wellbeing of their child or their academic progress they should at the very least expect the teacher to be engaged and want to be proactive?

Everyone is trying to make this current situation work and I accept there are huge IT issues for teachers, especially those who would not be IT savvy. Its a terrible situation for lots of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

helpful wrote: »
    A friend of mine had to move home to care for her mother and now has no internet, she commutes to the city to upload work and answer emails from the children in her class and their parents every second day. She has google classroom set so the work is uploaded each morning but wants to be active in answering emails. She is trying her best at a difficult time so it is frustrating to see people tarring all teachers with the same brush.

For primary would it not just have been better to just finish up and then try and get a couple of months done in the summer?
    It just seems there are too many issues brought up by trying to teach online. There is very little benefit to it to be honest. Also, for teachers thinking it is a bit of a struggle, remember a lot of parents are trying to work their normal 40-50 hr week (my week would be more than 50 hrs typically). We are also trying to mind the kids, continue their education. There is also no end to it, we aren't just trying to get to June and then forget about it. It will continue on indefinitely.

• Advertisement

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    For primary would it not just have been better to just finish up and then try and get a couple of months done in the summer?
    It just seems there are too many issues brought up by trying to teach online. There is very little benefit to it to be honest. Also, for teachers thinking it is a bit of a struggle, remember a lot of parents are trying to work their normal 40-50 hr week (my week would be more than 50 hrs typically). We are also trying to mind the kids, continue their education. There is also no end to it, we aren't just trying to get to June and then forget about it. It will continue on indefinitely.

I think this would have been a great idea. Let the kids finish and allow time for teachers and schools to work behind the scenes to figure out what could work best. Feedback from teachers having attempted this would be invaluable.

I dont consider a parent raising concerns as the problem tbh.

I absolutely accept that there are some parents who are never happy and some parents who make teachers like a living hell. But I wouldnt fall into that category.

I have no reason to doubt you but you must be very unlucky because I could count on one hand the number of teachers I've worked with who I would consider incompetent.

I think most of parents' issues with teachers come from a lack of understanding - some parents have preconceptions about what happens in a classroom but the reality is very different.

Other parents can't accept if their child is problematic and simply blame the teacher.

There was a difficult parent in our school who was doing an SNA course and was looking for experience.

I took her into my class for two months and she changed her tune very quickly. I think she gained an invaluable insight into how tough a job it can be for teachers and was a different person by the end of it. I'm still in touch with her to this day, and in fact she is now teaching herself in a foreign language primary school.

Apologies I should have clarified or been more clear. As a parent my interactions are minimal with most teachers as we have only one opportunity per year. The teachers that I would have had more interactions i have been less than impressed with. These would have been teachers in classes where one of my children would have been stuggling in class.

So for the sake of clarity then presumably your children were not struggling in 25 classes so your comment that the teachers who do the bare minimum far outweighs the good teachers that's not true? In your experience because you only have interactions with the "poor" teachers then 100% of those teachers were "poor" but if you look at the overall number perhaps you were influenced by the handful of poor teachers who are not in actual fact representative of the overall teaching faculty as with any profession. As a matter of interest let's say with 5 of these poor teachers what interactions had you that really upset you?

I have no reason to doubt you but you must be very unlucky because I could count on one hand the number of teachers I've worked with who I would consider incompetent.

I think most of parents' issues with teachers come from a lack of understanding - some parents have preconceptions about what happens in a classroom but the reality is very different.

Other parents can't accept if their child is problematic and simply blame the teacher.

There was a difficult parent in our school who was doing an SNA course and was looking for experience.

I took her into my class for two months and she changed her tune very quickly. I think she gained an invaluable insight into how tough a job it can be for teachers and was a different person by the end of it. I'm still in touch with her to this day, and in fact she is now teaching herself in a foreign language primary school.

I would agree it can come from a lack of understanding. Which I think is where the school system is flawed. As a parent I feel very much on the outside looking in. I have felt in the past shut out. This is a common comment I have heard from there parents over the years so I am not alone in that.

Granted this may just be the schools/ principals in my kids schools and perhaps other schools are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Video conferencing is not in line with child protection policies

So for the sake of clarity then presumably your children were not struggling in 25 classes so your comment that the teachers who do the bare minimum far outweighs the good teachers that's not true? In your experience because you only have interactions with the "poor" teachers then 100% of those teachers were "poor" but if you look at the overall number perhaps you were influenced by the handful of poor teachers who are not in actual fact representative of the overall teaching faculty as with any profession. As a matter of interest let's say with 5 of these poor teachers what interactions had you that really upset you?

Absolutely influenced. Which was the point I was trying to make albeit poorly.

I guess its how you perceive it. I think with every industry you will get poor staff. The difference is with teaching you cant exactly take your business elsewhere when your not satisfied. Teachers are in the firing line. Much like anyone who works with the public.

I would say frustrated more than upset and deflated at the desire to not want to do better.

I would agree it can come from a lack of understanding. Which I think is where the school system is flawed. As a parent I feel very much on the outside looking in. I have felt in the past shut out. This is a common comment I have heard from there parents over the years so I am not alone in that.

Granted this may just be the schools/ principals in my kids schools and perhaps other schools are different.

I think that is a good point. For what it's worth I try to get my parents as involved as possible - invite them in to talk about their jobs, let them into class at the end of the day before any holidays to see art work etc and I contact all the parents regularly via Class Dojo. I really think it helps to create a positive connection with the parents and I rarely have an issue with them.

Funnily enough I have had some issues with parents of kids who are not in my class when taking extra curricular stuff and detected a hostile attitude from them.

I think that is a good point. For what it's worth I try to get my parents as involved as possible - invite them in to talk about their jobs, let them into class at the end of the day before any holidays to see art work etc and I contact all the parents regularly via Class Dojo. I really think it helps to create a positive connection with the parents and I rarely have an issue with them.

Funnily enough I have had some issues with parents of kids who are not in my class when taking extra curricular stuff and detected a hostile attitude from them.

It sounds like you have managed to strike some sort of balance which is fantastic. A positive connection is vitally important imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

HerrKuehn wrote: »

What do you think my week is? I also have children to look after and educate while I work from home.

• Advertisement

Absolutely influenced. Which was the point I was trying to make albeit poorly.

I guess its how you perceive it. I think with every industry you will get poor staff. The difference is with teaching you cant exactly take your business elsewhere when your not satisfied. Teachers are in the firing line. Much like anyone who works with the public.

I would say frustrated more than upset and deflated at the desire to not want to do better.

So they didn't upset you they frustrated you because they were poor teachers? Why did they frustrate you?
    Teachers are in the firing line especially when someone is criticising teachers and saying that the majority of them who have taught their children were poor teachers when in fact that's not true. Maybe they should reflect and stick to actual facts rather than fuelling the anti teacher rhetoric that seems to be par for the course in any teaching forum on boards.

Advertisement