Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School not using Video Conferencing but lashing out the homework

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

AmberGold wrote: »

Is this unique to the schools my children attend or are our educators missing a trick, I’m thinking about contacting the principal of the school to voice my concern.

Honestly do you not think the principal has enough problems without getting (probably yet another) call from a back seat driver telling them how to run their school?

It's a national crisis and the children are getting homework so they are continuing their learning all considered.

Teaching children via the internet does not equal a company zoom meeting.

And I'm not a teacher by the way. I just think this idea is petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

touts wrote: »
    It depends very much on the teacher. My son is in primary and gets an message every Monday with his homework for the week and that's the last we hear from the teacher for the week.

At the same time my wife is a secondary School teacher. She records classes each day on PowerPoint and uploaded them to Google classroom in the mornings. In the afternoons Sha holds zoom calls with the classes to answer any questions. Only 5-10 students dial in but that is their issue.

My wife is involved with national associations and says the discussion there is that it is likely that inspectors will look to see what teachers did during the lockdown. Those that make an effort may not be rewarded with pay etc because the unions won't allow it as they mainly protect the lazy (she says most of the ASTI leadership are teachers who couldn't hack it in the classroom and protect their own). But those that sat on their arses and did nothing will find it difficult to get a promotion or a move to another school for several years. All application forms etc for posts and principalships will have to contain an inspectorate report and anyone who did nothing for these weeks will find promotion very difficult to come by.

That is absolute codswallop. I cant even...

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

No it’s the reality of my situation.

I’ll gladly take any suggestions as how to remedy the situation. If the school opened tomorrow I would willingly stream my teaching from there but I will not invite students into my bedroom - where I work from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Jucifer

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I suppose we can overlook the parents who can't afford laptops, iPads, broadband/data sim cards, separate rooms for kids to learn away from younger siblings, or who have to leave their accomodation for most of the day time?

That is a problem of course. But should everyone lose out since the technology is available to teach remotely? Maybe we should ensure the children without technology should get access somehow rather than accepting less. Not saying give everyone free laptops but there must be.a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

I suppose we can overlook the parents who can't afford laptops, iPads, broadband/data sim cards, separate rooms for kids to learn away from younger siblings, or who have to leave their accomodation for most of the day time?

Re tech yes you can, in this day and age as rare as unicorns!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Primary teacher here. Zoom have tightened up on their privacy issues and there are a lot of things teachers can put in place to increase security (setting up waiting rooms, meeting can't begin without the teacher, disable participant screen sharing etc). I am using Zoom with my class and we have had no issues.

The biggest problem is that a lot of the primary curriculum just isn't ideal to teach live online. Kids asking questions etc is near impossible so I worry about my less able students getting left behind. It's better than nothing but they'd probably all be as well off or better doing the work off line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I spend 80% of my day on calls - whether voice or video. Much prefer to do them in person but needs must. Don’t think my boss would accept - sorry I don’t want to. He would say take a 350 euro a week break there until this is resolved - and rightly so
    We all need to adapt to our new situation !

I'm assuming that your Boss provides you with a laptop/camera/headset and probably screens etc. And you may even have an I.T support desk.
    Probably getting an allowance or payment for your internet connectivity also.

Now try and move all that to the school system, how much time and cost will it take to achieve virtual classrooms right now?

Teach30 wrote: »
    No it’s the reality of my situation.

I’ll gladly take any suggestions as how to remedy the situation. If the school opened tomorrow I would willingly stream my teaching from there but I will not invite students into my bedroom - where I work from.

Nor should you be expected to.

People here are totally forgetting that teaching children is totally different type of work to the jobs most people have dealing with other adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Jucifer wrote: »
    That is a problem of course. But should everyone lose out since the technology is available to teach remotely? Maybe we should ensure the children without technology should get access somehow rather than accepting less. Not saying give everyone free laptops but there must be.a solution.

All i'm saying is that you're creating vast inequalities to those who were already disadvantaged in the first place..

Honestly do you not think the principal has enough problems without getting (probably yet another) call from a back seat driver telling them how to run their school?

It's a national crisis and the children are getting homework so they are continuing their learning all considered.

Teaching children via the internet does not equal a company zoom meeting.

And I'm not a teacher by the way. I just think this idea is petty.

What problems would a principal have exactly, sure isn’t the school closed and they just had two weeks holiday. Sure isn’t this what we pay their wages for ?

Nothing petty about this, this is the real world, children are missing out and the technology is accessible for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

I have my two children with me, both under five. I cannot and will not do live video. The 18 month old needs constant supervision because he’s a climbing holy terror and there would be tears. Lots of them.

However I am working every night and weekends prepping and recording lessons for all my class periods as per my timetable. Students submit their work via google classroom and I try to view all of it and correct everything that cannot be recorded for group correction (eg maths, I’ll record me presenting the solutions exactly like it would be in class). I carry my phone around with me supervising my own children and reply as fast as I can to any query coming in from students. Yes I’m using some websites that include self correction but that’s just being realistic because I have nearly 200 students a week and cannot possibly correct every piece of work they do individually.

This is enough in my opinion. Students are almost always seeing/hearing my work for their class as to be honest I’m finding it takes as long to find decent YouTube videos etc taught the way I want it taught as it does to just prep and record it. Students have my email and google classroom if they need to ask me a specific question.

I was absolutely exhausted maintaining this by the Easter break and I would far far prefer to be back in school but it is what it is and this is the best I can do.

The only alternative beyond this would be for me to apply for parental leave. In which case there would be no substitute teacher at all because they can’t be found for love nor money

And well done for the efforts taken by you !

I doubt anyone is asking for live video classes - in most cases parents are just looking for something

In comparison, one of my daughters teachers sent a 2 page email this evening with work for the week. 50% of it to be downloaded from Twinkl. That’s it for the week - we won’t hear from her until next Sunday evening or Monday morning. No accepting work back, no corrections - radio silence for the week.

And from what I hear - this is pretty common across most of the primary schools friends and colleagues children go to. One friend, their school has not been in contact whatsoever since 12th March !!! Absolutely nothing from them at all.

So people getting frustrated is not directed towards those trying - it’s at those not making any reasonable efforts

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

I am not even suggesting classes over video. I was nearly lynched on another forum earlier for suggesting teachers should try contact students directly and have a 5 minute chat with them. Give some encouragement, ask if they need help at anything in particular etc.

I spend 80% of my day on calls - whether voice or video. Much prefer to do them in person but needs must. Don’t think my boss would accept - sorry I don’t want to. He would say take a 350 euro a week break there until this is resolved - and rightly so

We all need to adapt to our new situation !

I wouldn’t have a 5 minute chat with students in school why would I want to chat with them over zoom? My personality type doesn’t suit “chatting” it’s not something I find easy. I can’t imagine I’m alone in this. In fact I can safely say I’d find chatting one on one very awkward, even if I had the technology for it.

Grand in school if it’s related to a piece of work or giving advice on work but a 5 minute casual conversation with a student is not realistic .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I'm assuming that your Boss provides you with a laptop/camera/headset and probably screens etc. And you may even have an I.T support desk.

Now try and move all that to the school system, how much time and cost will it take to achieve virtual classrooms right now?

If all you look for are problems, then all you’ll find are problems.

No one is suggesting video calls are a panacea here but they could be a good solution for many if teachers were willing to try.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Doubt Whatsapp would be allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Why would it be a GDPR issue to use your own laptop?

GDPR and children is very serious.

Basically they can't give permission for storage of any of their data not even their names. So for schools or companies who control this (Not the teachers) they only allow the data to be stored on school or company equipment and can be deleted after.

Yes, its a bit crap that something really meant for the googles of the world affects keeping a kids name on a PC but that's what it did.

So far I’ve heard

1 An argument about not streaming a class from a bedroom.

2. Another who wants the school to opened to stream from there.

Let’s face it we all have access to a laptop with a mic and speakers and broadband, beginning to sound like Garda not wanting to adopt the Pulse system.

Enjoy your break as you send out one or two emails a week to your respective classes.

AmberGold wrote: »
    What problems would a principal have exactly, sure isn’t the school closed and they just had two weeks holiday. Sure isn’t this what we pay their wages for ?

Nothing petty about this, this is the real world, children are missing out and the technology is accessible for all.

Ask a principal what their problems are - I just think it's not fair to be adding to them.

Children are missing out - regardless - because they are not in the classroom.

Thankfully the children are not missing out on homework. They have the resources i.e. the books. They have the supervision i.e. you. and they have the deadline i.e. the teacher's email.

From what I can tell, they are missing out the novelty factor of an online class. That's not essential and I don't believe is as 'simple' as you make out.

Ask a principal what their problems are - I just think it's not fair to be adding to them.

Children are missing out - regardless - because they are not in the classroom.

Thankfully the children are not missing out on homework. They have the resources i.e. the books. The have the supervision i.e. you. and they have the deadline i.e. the teacher's email.

From what I can tell, they are missing out the novelty factor of an online class. That's not essential and I don't believe is as 'simple' as you make out.

Whatever.

No actually. As it turns out they don’t. I use my own laptop - although I accept that is pretty rare and absolutely they do not subsidise my internet connection in any way. I need internet to live and the small costs incurred easily offset the commuting costs I am saving

Our school have plenty of laptops and tablets. The parents association purchased ~40 less than 18 months ago for the students to use. Why not utilise them ?

And as I said previously, I don’t think virtual classrooms would work in primary school - but what would work is a level of engagement with the student to see how they are getting on. Something a bit more than a weekly email !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

afatbollix wrote: »
    Why exactly?

• Advertisement

Don't ask a web forum.

Send an email to the principal, They will be best to answer your questions and might be able to help you.

I know what my kids are getting help with and I'm happy with it. You should be pushing your school to do more...

plodder wrote: »
    Why exactly?

Did you not read the explanation under it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

touts wrote: »
    Not all networks allow this. You aren't allowed theather with a three account. They will cancel your account and charge you if you are caught doing this.

done it for years and three have never charged me for it.
    As long as you don't go downloading 30 or 40gb its grand,

I wouldn’t have a 5 minute chat with students in school why would I want to chat with them over zoom? My personality type doesn’t suit “chatting” it’s not something I find easy. I can’t imagine I’m alone in this. In fact I can safely say I’d find chatting one on one very awkward, even if I had the technology for it.

Grand in school if it’s related to a piece of work or giving advice on work but a 5 minute casual conversation with a student is not realistic .

Depends if you are a primary or secondary teacher. My comments are more for primary where the kids spend all day with the same teacher and they have little chats with them

This problem is not going away. There is no magic solution - but a solution will need to be found. Teachers may end up having a less desirable solution forced on them rather than a preferable one they input into. But it needs some initiative and thought leadership and not just listing all the problems

Out of interest - how would you feel about a 5 minute weekly chat with their parents - to see how they are getting on supervising the children's progress with their homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,370 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I refuse to do this zoom thing with students I feel no way comfortable with it so don’t see why we should be pressurised into it. Currently using my own mobile phone data to upload and download work, my home internet is far too poor to send pictures etc. I’ve run out of data and my bill will be astronomical next month. Who’s going to foot the cost?

I have no laptop and using a phone with a cracked screen. My home circumstance mean it’s not possible to record videos unless you want to hear my elderly parents on the phone in the background or the tv/radio blaring all day. They have zero concept of being quiet.

So who ever here thinks it’s easy for teachers to teach from home I can assure you not everyone has appropriate circumstances.
    I would give anything to get back into the classroom. If only for peace from my parents.

I firmly believe I’m doing my best under the circumstances, if I manage to email them
    work I’m doing well. I’ll correct it when I get it but it takes hours to download, open, correct and then send replies. I had serious eye strain before the break from looking at phone.

You can't be serious with any of this, surely?

Basically they can't give permission for storage of any of their data not even their names. So for schools or companies who control this (Not the teachers) they only allow the data to be stored on school or company equipment and can be deleted after.

Yes, its a bit crap that something really meant for the googles of the world affects keeping a kids name on a PC but that's what it did.

GDPR is serious for everyone - not just for children. But it’s is also about consent and the difference between a data owner and data processor. Parents consent to things all the time - this would be no different. And if they don’t want to that fine too.

It’s a handy excuse for everything these days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

noodler wrote: »
    You can't be serious with any of this, surely?

This crisis will really expose those who can’t or won’t adapt.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭G-Man

Principals, teachers, inspectors and DoE are all professionals here. We really need them to start thinking and working out a solution here.

Many schools have sent no explanation of anything via email, phone or letter of education expectations during this time.. In a time when everything is closed and no expectation for it to be open - its time for schools to adapt to delivering curriculum online or remotely.

Even if not delivering anything, can they not start to evaluate and monitor kids performance. Can they not start making calls to pupils once a week to at least check in.

Things are not ideal, but we are into 2nd month of this and to get another dose of pdfs, many of which we cant print, for which there will be no feedback on is very poor form.

• Advertisement

Don't ask a web forum.

Send an email to the principal, They will be best to answer your questions and might be able to help you.

I know what my kids are getting help with and I'm happy with it. You should be pushing your school to do more...

Well If the reactions here are anything to go by I’m glad I did ask the forum.

Advertisement