Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School not using Video Conferencing but lashing out the homework

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

I have to say I'm really surprised at the reaction by some teachers on here to the girl earlier who said that she felt a lot of her colleagues weren't pulling their weight.

I'm not a teacher but I work in the public sector. I have worked in 5 different HSE hospitals. In every one there have been some staff who are worth their weight in gold. In every one there have also been a substantial number of people who refuse to take on any work outside their comfort zone, treat sick days as annual leave and nearly make a point of refusing to engage with change at every opportunity.

I have a friend who works in the civil service and according to him it is the same there, except probably more frequent.

I find it hard to believe that teaching is immune to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

lozenges wrote: »
    I have to say I'm really surprised at the reaction by some teachers on here to the girl earlier who said that she felt a lot of her colleagues weren't pulling their weight.

I'm not a teacher but I work in the public sector. I have worked in 5 different HSE hospitals. In every one there have been some staff who are worth their weight in gold. In every one there have also been a substantial number of people who refuse to take on any work outside their comfort zone, treat sick days as annual leave and nearly make a point of refusing to engage with change at every opportunity.

I have a friend who works in the civil service and according to him it is the same there, except probably more frequent.

We don't need to be talking to teachers for useless ones we need to be sacking them.
    Cue the outraged response to my post but like they say Turkeys do not vote for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I think the issue was the girl would not say how she teaches, while the rest of us have done in any of the teacher threads over the last few weeks, and she commented on other things teachers did but any time she was asked about what she did she screamed bullying. She could have methods which help the rest of us, but sure done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

That girl/poster was asked many many times by numerous different people on here, what it is that she actually did to teach her students but refused point blank to answer and then pulled the bullying card.

No one claims that everyone is perfect but she was trying to say that pretty much every teacher she knew was lazy and full of excuses which we all know isn't true.

I can give many examples of excuses given to me by parents in the recent current for not engaging with me but that does not mean that all my parents are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Treppen

It's funny. Usually during Easter and Union conventions we have the annual teacher bashing thread on After Hours.
    Now it's moved to the Covid 19 thread.
    Ya just can't escape it.

Roll on the Summer I say... When I can get back into the classroom and get some sanity from my students.

• Advertisement

Treppen wrote: »
    It's funny. Usually during Easter and Union conventions we have the annual teacher bashing thread on After Hours.
    Now it's moved to the Covid 19 thread.
    Ya just can't escape it.

Roll on the Summer I say... When I can get back into the classroom and get some sanity from my students.

Amen to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

If the kids stopped doing the homework there isn't much they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

helpful wrote: »
    The problem as I see it is that people think they are experts in teaching simply by completing primary school. That’s just not true. There is a lot that goes on unseen and teachers have a job whereby they are “on” from the minute they park their car until the minute they leave. A lot of jobs don’t have this sort of intensity so the last thing a teacher needs is some parents coming in screaming the odds and telling them how to do their job in their classroom.
    Teaching, unlike other jobs does not translate well to working from home, especially in primary schools. There is little training in IT in teacher training colleges which is a flaw on the side of the DoE. This combined with the fact that many teachers are from agricultural backgrounds and in turn are likely to live in rural Ireland means that some will not have access to internet and online teaching.
    A friend of mine had to move home to care for her mother and now has no internet, she commutes to the city to upload work and answer emails from the children in her class and their parents every second day. She has google classroom set so the work is uploaded each morning but wants to be active in answering emails. She is trying her best at a difficult time so it is frustrating to see people tarring all teachers with the same brush.
    Every teacher I know is engaging with students regularly, one friend is uploading work twice a week and checking in on a Friday and using the weekends to correct all the work, this is the least contact I’ve heard any teacher having.
    Everyone thinks they’re an expert in how to teach, it’s a pity more of these experts didn’t go into teaching. Also to say that teachers are not held accountable to anyone is just ridiculous and shows how little people know about the sector.

You hardly need a degree in education to know that no communication or zero feedback on work submitted is below the bare minimum standard of education. That’s what this thread is about. It’s teachers who are turning it into a ‘teacher bashing’ thread by taking any criticism of a low standard of commitment or innovation by a (hopefully) minority of teachers as a blanket slur on the profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I have no reason to doubt you but you must be very unlucky because I could count on one hand the number of teachers I've worked with who I would consider incompetent.

I think most of parents' issues with teachers come from a lack of understanding - some parents have preconceptions about what happens in a classroom but the reality is very different.

Other parents can't accept if their child is problematic and simply blame the teacher.

There was a difficult parent in our school who was doing an SNA course and was looking for experience.

I took her into my class for two months and she changed her tune very quickly. I think she gained an invaluable insight into how tough a job it can be for teachers and was a different person by the end of it. I'm still in touch with her to this day, and in fact she is now teaching herself in a foreign language primary school.

I think the problem is that every parent thinks that their child is the only one that a teacher teaches and has to worry about. Its selfishness more than anything and is taking the teachers attention away from all the other children in the class, just to appease one parent.

It reminds me of a few clients that I have who think they are the only clients I have. They are worse than children sometimes. Some adults are just needy and think the world revolves them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

So they didn't upset you they frustrated you because they were poor teachers? Why did they frustrate you?
    Teachers are in the firing line especially when someone is criticising teachers and saying that the majority of them who have taught their children were poor teachers when in fact that's not true. Maybe they should reflect and stick to actual facts rather than fuelling the anti teacher rhetoric that seems to be par for the course in any teaching forum on boards.

This thread isn't about me, my kids or the specifics of why I was frustrated as a parent.
    But the attitude and immediate defensiveness shows what a lot of parents are up against. The reluctance to even believe the teachers could be the issue.

I dont have an anti teacher rhetoric.
    What I am is anti people doing not their job no matter what the line of work is.

• Advertisement

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I think the problem is that every parent thinks that their child is the only one that a teacher teaches and has to worry about. Its selfishness more than anything and is taking the teachers attention away from all the other children in the class, just to appease one parent.

It reminds me of a few clients that I have who think they are the only clients I have. They are worse than children sometimes. Some adults are just needy and think the world revolves them.

I would agree with a lot of that but chose to be a bit more diplomatic!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I have a friend who works in one of the big banks, and according to him it is the same there.

I have another friend who works in one of the pharmaceutical manufacturers, and according to her it is the same there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I have a friend who works in one of the big banks, and according to him it is the same there.

I have another friend who works in one of the pharmaceutical manufacturers, and according to her it is the same there.

And your friend will also tell you that salary increases and bonuses are dependent on the employee's performance. So if someone is not pulling their weight, that is reflected in their pay packet. Unlike the public sector.

salonfire wrote: »
    And your friend will also tell you that salary increases and bonuses are dependent on the employee's performance. So if someone is not pulling their weight, that is reflected in their pay packet. Unlike the public sector.

Actually, they tell me that it's more to do with your skills at brownnosing your current line manager who does the performance appraisal than your functional skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This is not true despite repeated assertions on here that it is.
    That doesn't make it right or acceptable in either sector however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Actually, they tell me that it's more to do with your skills at brownnosing your current line manager who does the performance appraisal than your functional skills.

Thanks for proving my point.

There may be the odd case of a manger getting hood-winked by brown-nosing, but for the vast majority your pay packet is determined by your performance reviews.

Also, it would be usual for multiple people to have input into someone's review, not just one line manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Treppen

Can we get back to the teacher bashing please.

Also, it would be usual for multiple people to have input into someone's review, not just one line manager.
    That's true. Ability to brownnose in multiple directions simultaneously is an important factor in progressing up the ladder.

Advertisement