Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3/4 inch hose.

• 19-04-2020 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

When I was on hols this year in Portugal, there was a water hose in the house we stayed in. Was larger than the standard Irish one and great flow in it and good pressure. The actual Tap was not especially powerful etc.

I guess it was a 3/4 inch or 19mm.

Can these be used in Ireland also?
    Anytime have one and find it any good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

obi604 wrote: »
    When I was on hols this year in Portugal, there was a water hose in the house we stayed in. Was larger than the standard Irish one and great flow in it and good pressure. The actual Tap was not especially powerful etc.

I guess it was a 3/4 inch or 19mm.

Can these be used in Ireland also?
    Anytime have one and find it any good?

Something like this?

https://jebbtools.ie/products/faithfull-30m-heavy-duty-reinforced-builders-hose-3-4?_pos=3&_sid=daa26718b&_ss=r

Smaller diameter pipe and long runs will kill pressure as well as flow rate. Matching hose and tap fittings could be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

Something like this?

https://jebbtools.ie/products/faithfull-30m-heavy-duty-reinforced-builders-hose-3-4?_pos=3&_sid=daa26718b&_ss=r

Smaller diameter pipe and long runs will kill pressure as well as flow rate. Matching hose and tap fittings could be an issue.

Yeah. Seems to be.

But this is a larger diameter pipe than standard so I don’t understand your comment about smaller diameters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Lidl were selling 3/4 hose sets a while back, I got one of them and its OK, typical PVC hose stiffens in cool conditions.
    If you want to go down the road of good hose get it from the US, its doable but takes a little effort to get the fittings and accessories and tap.
    I did all that and bought a 100ft Flexzilla setup and am very happy with it, stays soft through cold weather and flows very well.
    I bought some US taps to attach it and a small metal adaptor locally but I think it was worth it.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Lidl were selling 3/4 hose sets a while back, I got one of them and its OK, typical PVC hose stiffens in cool conditions.
    If you want to go down the road of good hose get it from the US, its doable but takes a little effort to get the fittings and accessories and tap.
    I did all that and bought a 100ft Flexzilla setup and am very happy with it, stays soft through cold weather and flows very well.
    I bought some US taps to attach it and a small metal adaptor locally but I think it was worth it.

Thanks, did you find it made a big difference to the water flow versus teh standard 1/2 inch hose?

I think it does, my place has savage water pressure anyway and I use it to feed my pressure washer which it does quite well, I have a very basic Lidl unit so it doesn't really tax the flow rate that much, the other part is that the connectors while fitting the 3/4" hose are the same as the 1/2" fittings so flow will be reduced a bit by them.
    In contrast the US stuff has big bore connectors and fittings and will flow a lot better.
    The main reason I changed to the US stuff was the hose, nearly all the hose sold here is crap PVC stuff which is unusable in anything colder than 10°C as it behaves like black plastic water pipe.

• Advertisement

I think it does, my place has savage water pressure anyway and I use it to feed my pressure washer which it does quite well, I have a very basic Lidl unit so it doesn't really tax the flow rate that much, the other part is that the connectors while fitting the 3/4" hose are the same as the 1/2" fittings so flow will be reduced a bit by them.
    In contrast the US stuff has big bore connectors and fittings and will flow a lot better.
    The main reason I changed to the US stuff was the hose, nearly all the hose sold here is crap PVC stuff which is unusable in anything colder than 10°C as it behaves like black plastic water pipe.

thanks, if I was to buy a 3/4 inch hose like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reinforced-13120-Smart-atsv-Water-Hose/dp/B00UOS3LLI/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Cellfast+SMART+Garden+Hose%2C+Black%2FBlue%2C+3%2F4%22+25m&qid=1587372777&s=outdoors&sr=1-3

and then buy this (think I need 2)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GARDENA-18216-20-Hose-Connector-waterproof/dp/B00PNUC9C4/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=3%2F4+inch+hose&qid=1587372727&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzMDAyVklNTEZROFo5JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjUzOTQ1MjhZT1lMN1NYVTU4MSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzEwNjgyMVBSOFJHTzBLVkpTSiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Would my existing spray gun work with the gardena hose connector?
    Do i need anything else at the 'tap' end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

I'm by a river so use a pump to water the garden. The difference between using 60m of 1/2inch and 60m of 1inch on the same pump is massive.

If you are connecting up different sizes of hose then try using Geka couplings (GeKa is brand name so often go by other names) https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=geka+fittings .

do lidl normally offer a 3/4 inch or is it very rare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Yeah. Seems to be.

But this is a larger diameter pipe than standard so I don’t understand your comment about smaller diameters.

Basically I'm saying that the3/4 pipe would be a massive improvement on the 1/2 inch pipe that's used for garden hose. Huge improvement on flow rate and it won't kill water pressure like 1/2" if you're using a long length of it.

do lidl normally offer a 3/4 inch or is it very rare?

Not sure TBH, I just saw a roll of this a few months back and it looked to be a lot larger in diameter than usual so I bought it.

• Advertisement

Those Gardena connectors are all the same I think.

how do you mean?
    same as what - the standard one we use in Ireland for 1/2 inch hose?

how do you mean?
    same as what - the standard one we use in Ireland for 1/2 inch hose?

Yes, the connection is the same. Just the hose side is different.

Yes, the connection is the same. Just the hose side is different.

Right. So does this mean I don’t have to buy this Gardena part at all. And the standard connectors that most people use in Ireland will work at either end of the 3/4 inch cable.

Or another way. Buy this 3/4 inch hose.

Remove connections from my current 1/2 inch hose and they should work on the 3/4 inch?

No. The hose side has to fit 3/4 hose. The ID is different to the 1/2" hose.
    The Male/Female click connection is the same no matter what hose diameter is connected to it.

ok, im confused - nothing new there :)

so lets say I buy the 3/4 inch hose........which comes with no attachments.

What else do I need to buy to connect it to a standard Irish tap and spray gun.

It can be confusing because 3/4 inch is also a screw fitting size for the tap. So you can buy a 1/2 inch hose connector set that says its for 3/4 inch but it won't fit 3/4 inch hose pipe but will fit the 3/4 inch thread on an outside tap.

3/4 inch hose needs different bigger fittings compared to 1/2 inch hose. They aren't that common even though most of the companies that make the fittings do them.

Check this link it has the two sizes on it 1/2 and 3/4 https://www.amazon.co.uk/GARDENA-18216-20-Hose-Connector-waterproof/dp/B00PNUC9C4/

GinSoaked wrote: »
    It can be confusing because 3/4 inch is also a screw fitting size for the tap. So you can buy a 1/2 inch hose connector set that says its for 3/4 inch but it won't fit 3/4 inch hose pipe but will fit the 3/4 inch thread on an outside tap.

3/4 inch hose needs different bigger fittings compared to 1/2 inch hose. They aren't that common even though most of the companies that make the fittings do them.

Check this link it has the two sizes on it 1/2 and 3/4 https://www.amazon.co.uk/GARDENA-18216-20-Hose-Connector-waterproof/dp/B00PNUC9C4/

right, so would I need to buy two of these '19 mm (3/4") hoses' : https://www.amazon.co.uk/GARDENA-18216-20-Hose-Connector-waterproof/dp/B00PNUC9C4/?th=1

and these would attach to either end of the hose - is this correct?

What next then
    Does the tap itself need a special adapter to accept this new hose connector?

That should be all you need, it would be good if someone could confirm the actual male connectors are the same as 1/2inch.

That should be all you need, it would be good if someone could confirm the actual male connectors are the same as 1/2inch.

right, I thought id need some other thing to allow attaching to tap............ and then a different spray gun with a wider setup to accommodate 3/4 inch?

• Advertisement

The click fittings are all the same size whether for 3/4 or 1/2 hose . The only difference is the compression hose fitting on the rear of the connector.
    I can’t post pics on this stupid work phone but I went outside to check and they click together no problem, no matter what brand.

The click fittings are all the same size whether for 3/4 or 1/2 hose . The only difference is the compression hose fitting on the rear of the connector.
    I can’t post pics on this stupid work phone but I went outside to check and they click together no problem, no matter what brand.

Nice, so essentially to get up and running

1. I need a hose
    2. I need 2 X Female connectors for either end of the hose

And then click one end in to my male tap and ther other end in to my male spray gun and away I go.

any idea of the price and length?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Would it really make that much difference as most of the plumbing in the house to the outside tap is 1/2"? Possibly better flow but there will be less pressure

Would it really make that much difference as most of the plumbing in the house to the outside tap is 1/2"? Possibly better flow but there will be less pressure

Another user said they noticed a difference. Just remember in Portugal I was well impressed with the wider diameter water hose.

any idea of the price and length?
    I think the length was 25m and the price was €25 ish

Nice, so essentially to get up and running

1. I need a hose
    2. I need 2 X Female connectors for either end of the hose

And then click one end in to my male tap and ther other end in to my male spray gun and away I go.

Any thoughts on this?

I know woodies, Homebase etc are not open.

But does anyone know if they sell the 3/4 inch water hose pipe?

In my experience it is very uncommon to see it here. I have very rarely seen anything other than 1/2" Garden hose on sale.
    edit:
    This place seems to have it.https://www.fruithillfarm.com/garden-hose-50m-3-4inch-geka-flex-6821.html

• Advertisement

Think you'll find many large hardware/builders merchants and farm stores have it on a massive roll for sale by the meter, but probably not the cheapest way to buy it.

Think you'll find many large hardware/builders merchants and farm stores have it on a massive roll for sale by the meter, but probably not the cheapest way to buy it.

ah ok, noted.

so not very common so.

Best option nearly seems online or Lidl (if they ever get it in again)

do Woodies etc sell the females attachments for either end of the 3/4 hoses?

Most farm or agri places sell 3/4 taps which have a nipple on the end, all you need then is a hoseclamp to hold it in place. and a connector for the other end.

What’s the story with the woodies website. For me, won’t even let me search for anything. Not about buying etc just searching.

What’s the story with the woodies website. For me, won’t even let me search for anything. Not about buying etc just searching.

bump :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement