Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs Open In Sligo

• 19-04-2020 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭

There’s a few pubs in town (at least) flouting the “lockdown” rules at the moment. I’m sure most boardsies are aware of them. It kind of sits uncomfortably with me. As a business owner I’m closed and as a citizen I’m trying my damndest to do what I’m told for the greater good so I would prefer we all rowed together in all honesty, yet I know the struggles for us all in business and personally. What do you think? Have you been or would you go? Do you reckon the authorities know and are turning a blind eye or are unaware?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

There’s a few pubs in town (at least) flouting the “lockdown” rules at the moment. I’m sure most boardsies are aware of them. It kind of sits uncomfortably with me. As a business owner I’m closed and as a citizen I’m trying my damndest to do what I’m told for the greater good so I would prefer we all rowed together in all honesty, yet I know the struggles for us all in business and personally. What do you think? Have you been or would you go? Do you reckon the authorities know and are turning a blind eye or are unaware?

I have not heard of pubs being open, but I think it is poor form for non-essential businesses to be open. (like the shop in Castle street where you ring a number on their door or from their facebook page and they let you and your family in to try on non-essential stuff, to be used a lot more than 2km away and possibly putting emergency services, coastguard etc at risk).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What absolute morons and I sincerely hope their licences are revoked.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

addaword wrote: »
    I have not heard of pubs being open, but I think it is poor form for non-essential businesses to be open. (like the shop in Castle street where you ring a number on their door or from their facebook page and they let you and your family in to try on non-essential stuff, to be used a lot more than 2km away and possibly putting emergency services, coastguard etc at risk).

Yeah I can see both sides. It’s obviously completely wrong but these poor businesses are just trying to keep their head above water too.
    It’s the usual pubs. I guarantee you if I gave you four guesses you’d get three! Pubs in general aren’t gonna be open for a long time again. How can they?
    You’d imagine that shop you mentioned will do well once restrictions are eased a bit as there’ll be f all else to be at.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Black Bart

I am aware of at least one 'speak easy' pub that's serving behind closed doors, there should be no allowances made when these guys are renewing their licences in the district court when the time comes, it's simple, the licence should not be renewed.

I genuinely feel sorry for anybody that had to close their business because of the Covid-19 restrictions, The businesses that are closed should be supported when this all dies down, the idiots who are still serving behind doors should not.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Dr Devious

Any speakeasy barbers operating around the town, can get plenty off beer in the shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just a wee reminder that we shouldn't post the names of businesses or individuals

If people have knowledge of places that are open or conducting business of any kind when they shouldn't then the matter should be reported to the Gardai

muffler wrote: »
    If people have knowledge of places that are open or conducting business of any kind when they shouldn't then the matter should be reported to the Gardai

What is legal and what is not legal though? Is it legal for a non-essential shop , which is supposed to be closed, to advertise on its facebook page that it is open for "enquiries and appointments" , and which in these weeks attracts enthusiasts from adjoining counties who phone or message first for garment "fittings"?

77 people today have died in Ireland of Covid 19. If some people flout the “lockdown” rules at the moment I fear the lockdown may have to continue longer than otherwise necessary.

What is legal and what is not legal though? Is it legal for a non-essential shop , which is supposed to be closed, to advertise on its facebook page that it is open for "enquiries and appointments" , and which in these weeks attracts enthusiasts from adjoining counties who phone or message first for garment "fittings"?
    I cant answer as to what is and what isn't legal so if you think it's illegal or a grey area then you still contact the Gardai and leave it to them to decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

77 people today have died in Ireland of Covid 19. If some people flout the “lockdown” rules at the moment I fear the lockdown may have to continue longer than otherwise necessary.

This is inaccurate and has been clarified by Dr. Holohan.

Pubs (and we all know who they are) are bang out of order with this. That said, I don't see anything wrong with a business who is taking "appointments". It allows people to get stuff if they need it and it and helps the small business whilst allowing for social distancing. Realistically if a Supermarket can do it why not another small retail business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭xl500

Black Bart wrote: »
    I am aware of at least one 'speak easy' pub that's serving behind closed doors, there should be no allowances made when these guys are renewing their licences in the district court when the time comes, it's simple, the licence should not be renewed.

I genuinely feel sorry for anybody that had to close their business because of the Covid-19 restrictions, The businesses that are closed should be supported when this all dies down, the idiots who are still serving behind doors should not.

The only way a license will not be renewed is if someone ie either a member of the public or the Gardai can prove to the Judge the License Holder is unfit to hold a license so you would need evidence they are open at present and show that evidence to judge or report them to Gardai now to support case when it comes up in Court

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

I would lock this topic.

How many people died last year this time of year and how many people died not from Covid 19? Were all the people that died tested for covid 19 or just had symptoms?

You should take into account that restaurants/pub will be that last one to pick up from this lockdown and many of them will be closed after it and then people will start talking how many people lost their jobs because of that and how many people weren't paid because owners didn't had the money to pay them because they were closed.

loki7777 wrote: »
    I would lock this topic.

How many people died last year this time of year and how many people died not from Covid 19? Were all the people that died tested for covid 19 or just had symptoms?

What has the number of deaths this time last year got to do with the price of fish?

Your last question has been answered in nearly every single briefing that's been given by the dept of health

What has the number of deaths this time last year got to do with the price of fish?

And why is that? If average in 2019 was 9k in 2018 9,5k and now you have 8,5-9k - so covid has nothing(not much) to do with it as people are dying all the time.

EOT

This is inaccurate and has been clarified by Dr. Holohan.

Pubs (and we all know who they are) are bang out of order with this. That said, I don't see anything wrong with a business who is taking "appointments". It allows people to get stuff if they need it and it and helps the small business whilst allowing for social distancing. Realistically if a Supermarket can do it why not another small retail business?

An increasing number of people are dying, Dr Holohan said. Why should all non-essential shops across Ireland and indeed Europe be ordered to close? Is there something special how a group from the Midlands can come and get fitted for sports gear for an activity they cannot do within 20km of their homes anyway, never mind 2 km? Can it not wait?
    99% of the Irish people are making huge sacrifices.

Just to add
    "It is inaccurate and misleading for the RTÉ news headlines (last night) to announce 77 deaths over a day and then vaguely glaze over the fact that these numbers are actually an accumulation over (19) days."

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fazorb

Not just in Town. Authorities turning a blind eye for sure. Would not go there myself, but <SNIP> finest is doing a grand trade, I hear.

Mod edit/ Im not sure what the above referred to so maybe you would PM with an explanation please

An increasing number of people are dying, Dr Holohan said. Why should all non-essential shops across Ireland and indeed Europe be ordered to close? Is there something special how a group from the Midlands can come and get fitted for sports gear for an activity they cannot do within 20km of their homes anyway, never mind 2 km? Can it not wait?
    99% of the Irish people are making huge sacrifices.

I'm not advocating traveling distances for the latest designer gear, I'm talking about being able to get a tin of paint to finish your kitchen renovations, same as you can go to your local corner shop for a loaf of bread

I'm not advocating traveling distances for the latest designer gear, I'm talking about being able to get a tin of paint to finish your kitchen renovations, same as you can go to your local corner shop for a loaf of bread

I do not think anyone would mind too much a paint shop serving paint through a hatch, but would an outdoor shop admitting people for apparel fittings not be crossing the line? And advertising as much on their facebook page?Lockdown is not like that in other countries or even counties. People are not supposed to travel more than 2km anyway, never mind travel from town to the beach?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Without mentioning names, there is one pub that constantly has underage girls in it. There are two entrances, the standard entrance and the smoking area entrance beside it which can be accessed by absolutely anybody without any bother. I don't know why it's allowed.

It goes without saying there are also drugs taken and sold on the premises which makes the underage drinking even more egregious.

You only have to walk by it every day and see the kind of people who drink there to get an idea of what's going on.

Without mentioning names, there is one pub that constantly has underage girls in it.

You only have to walk by it every day and see the kind of people who drink there to get an idea of what's going on.

There is no pub like that in Sligo or anywhere else in the North West. Please deal in the here and now.
    Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Ireland has now surpassed Switzerland with number of cases per million
    We passed Italy and Switzerland in just 3 days

1. Spain
    2. Belgium
    3. Ireland
    4. Switzerland
    5. Italy

And yet people are encouraged to travel long distances to a destination, non-essential shop in Sligo for fitting appointments. Is that not extraordinary?

As someone else said, given we are one of the most infected countries in the world at the moment, those who flout the restrictions will only make it harder for the rest of us in the long term.

The latest figures today, sobering reading:
    We now have 3248 covid-19 cases per million population.
    USA has 2458
    UK has 1901
    France has 2421
    Italy has 3043

www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

We are not out of the woods yet, unfortunately.

• Advertisement

And the guard knows the publican.... and next thing you know you’re known to half the town for shutting down a pub? Hence me asking the question to see who knew and would they report it. It’s naive to think there aren’t pubs open and it would be very easy for the guards to raid them so that’s why i asked do they know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Sarn

As someone else said, given we are one of the most infected countries in the world at the moment, those who flout the restrictions will only make it harder for the rest of us in the long term.

The latest figures today, sobering reading:
    We now have 3248 covid-19 cases per million population.
    USA has 2458
    UK has 1901
    France has 2421
    Italy has 3043

www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

We are not out of the woods yet, unfortunately.

The reason for our high reported figure is because we have one of the highest rate of testing in Europe. If you don’t do the testing you’re not going to find the cases.

and next thing you know you’re known to half the town for shutting down a pub?
    How can you be known for shutting down a pub that is already shut down?

If Im following the rest of your post correctly you are asking if someone else would report it (if true of course) instead of you doing the honourable thing. Thats how it looks to me.

How can you be known for shutting down a pub that is already shut down?

If Im following the rest of your post correctly you are asking if someone else would report it (if true of course) instead of you doing the honourable thing. Thats how it looks to me.

Known among the pubs clientele, christ.
    Yeah I’m asking what other people think? It’s a forum mate. I’m not asking anyone else to make the call for me I haven’t and wouldn’t name the pubs (“if true” lol) despite the pms.
    Cheers ðŸ»

Known among the pubs clientele, christ.
    Yeah I’m asking what other people think? It’s a forum mate. I’m not asking anyone else to make the call for me I haven’t and wouldn’t name the pubs (“if true” lol) despite the pms.
    Cheers ðŸ»

Why on earth bring it up so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭prodsc

Without mentioning names, there is one pub that constantly has underage girls in it. There are two entrances, the standard entrance and the smoking area entrance beside it which can be accessed by absolutely anybody without any bother. I don't know why it's allowed.

It goes without saying there are also drugs taken and sold on the premises which makes the underage drinking even more egregious.

Is this pub open during the Lockdown?

prodsc wrote: »
    Is this pub open during the Lockdown?

IDK. If what yer man is saying is true and there are pubs opening on the sly, then this one would be my #1 candidate.

Why on earth bring it up so?

Why not name them?

For the same reason you didn’t name your underage girl, drug taking, underage drinking pub. LOL

Why not name them?

For the same reason you didn’t name your underage girl, drug taking, underage drinking pub. LOL

If you PM'd me asking what pub it is, I'd tell you. That's the difference.

You don't come out with such juicy stuff re: pubs flouting the ban and then refuse to go any further.

• Advertisement

If you PM'd me asking what pub it is, I'd tell you. That's the difference.

You don't come out with such juicy stuff re: pubs flouting the ban and then refuse to go any further.

I’m sure I know. Like I’m sure you do.
    Was only wondering did people think the guards were turning a blind eye to this (like they do to the underage drinking) or do people think they are actually unaware.

Advertisement