Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XVI- 21,983 in ROI (1,339 deaths) 3,881 in NI (404 deaths)(05/05)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭techdiver

walshb wrote: »
    I am assuming the distance restrictions will be lifted on May 18..

Not according to the published plan. 5km will still be the limit on the 18th of May. It extends out to 20km in stage 2 on the 8th of June and then further in stage 4 on the 20th of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,311 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Not being doom and gloom but Germany are seeing increasing numbers of infection since easing their lockdown and may reverse it.

The current plan phases we have are based on numbers continuing down, and that depends on what people do, some will do the necessary, but some won't as can be seen on here and elsewhere online.

We also need masks etc to become the norm along with more testing etc.
    Just on Germany,

https://twitter.com/ProfKarolSikora/status/1256142064804401153?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Boggles wrote: »
    Leo needs to píss off at this stage. He thinks he is in a disaster movie.

At least we have Micheál to look forward to soon. :rolleyes:

Their "reopening" document is absolute laughable aspirational nonsense.

Hopefully Turbidy grows a pair of bollíx and starts asking the right questions tonight.

He's not the worst. He used to annoy me but he's coming across well now. Thankfully he's not addressing the nation like the d1ck Trump listing out companies on and on and on with tripe.

There's no if. The virus is here. Relax restrictions, cases go up. Good luck with a pub when people are drunk and all packed in together. It's just not going to happen.

You are certain there will a 2nd wave? There may be one is what I will say. I remember the sheer amount of posters back in March saying that our health system would implode sometime in April. Hasn't happened (hopefully) yet.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

MipMap wrote: »
    Ok. They are opening up construction on the 5th May.

I used to work for an engineering company - big office hundreds of engineers
    and office staff. Designers on CAD etc., etc., all crammed into an office where social distancing would be impossible.

Every day our guys went to sites for meeting to approve works, certify stuff etc., Firms of Architects Surveyors etc all over the city doing the same thing.
    You can hardly dig a hole on a construction site without a suit coming out to sign off on it.
    And then there's materials and supplies of all kinds. All these businesses will have to open up to support the construction industry.
    Can't see how all this is going to be controlled.

18th I think.
    And yes to the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

Gynoid wrote: »
    18th I think.
    And yes to the rest.
    Thanks Fixed the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Silly Gilly

Wibbs wrote: »
    More like save face from the previous position. And moving in that direction, just like most other countermeasures they brought in against this virus, moving towards and half arsed a month too late. Varadkar seems to be a nice enough guy, but he is also a useless cnut, at the head of a pack of them, a stuffed shirt only useful for greet and meets with dignitaries.

You absolute arrogant arsehole. Who are you to call our Taoiseach a useless ****. You are a 20+ post a day merchant on a ****ty website who thinks he has all the answers from behind a keyboard.

You've always been a massive pain in the hole with your cloying shortenting of names to the first letter but this episode has propelled you into another stratosphere of annoyance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭harr

Mr.S wrote: »
    Leo’s interview on the late late is a car crash, he doesn’t even know what the phases are jeeeeepers

Just saying that here, lost without Tony who should be really on with him.

Local pharmacy is selling N95 face masks in packs of three. Saying its ok to wear the first one again and so on after 72 hours instead of throwing it away as the virus should be gone from it after that time. Interesting advice I thought. Mentioned here as well:

https://www.sages.org/n-95-re-use-instructions/

• Advertisement

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    what a single vehicle accident....

No. An unfortunate crash into a towerblock of cocooning 25 year olds. Car hit the buzzer system so they all died because they couldn't buzz in the delivery men bringing them the essentials of life. Tragic case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,326 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Leo’s interview on the late late is a car crash, he doesn’t even know what the phases are jeeeeepers

In fairness, there is a lot of detail in that PDF.......it runs to 23 pages (!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,176 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

You absolute arrogant arsehole. Who are you to call our Taoiseach a useless ****. You are a 20+ post a day merchant on a ****ty website who thinks he has all the answers from behind a keyboard.

You've always been a massive pain in the hole with your cloying shortenting of names to the first letter but this episode has propelled you into another stratosphere of annoyance.

In fairness he's not wrong, Varadkar is a grand standing puppet.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

The outbreaks in meat processing plants must be a real concern at this stage.
    The plant in Roscrea has 120 positive cases out of a workforce of 340.
    These cases explain some of the reported "community spread" in the daily reported new cases, and so could be a source of much wider spread if not caught quickly enough.
    I would expect the HSA (Health Safety Authority) have the legal powers to visit all plants and force closures if they are not operating all possible measures to prevent spread of the virus in the workplace.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/may/01/covid-19-outbreaks-at-irish-meat-plants-raise-fears-over-worker-safety

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/fears-for-agrifood-sector-as-three-meat-plants-confirm-covid-cases-1.4242668

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Ah here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭boardise

zzfh wrote: »
    Any date for gyms re-opening?

There'll be an extra weight for gym-goers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

All pubs on May 18th:

EW877bQXkAA9d5j?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

coastwatch wrote: »
    These cases explain some of the reported "community spread" in the daily reported new cases, and so could be a source of much wider spread if not caught quickly enough.
    I would expect the HSA (Health Safety Authority) have the legal powers to visit all plants and force closures if they are not operating all possible measures to prevent spread of the virus in the workplace.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/may/01/covid-19-outbreaks-at-irish-meat-plants-raise-fears-over-worker-safety

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/fears-for-agrifood-sector-as-three-meat-plants-confirm-covid-cases-1.4242668

I understand what your saying but like it or not these are essential workers.
    If the HSA went around to every food processing plant and forced closures, we would have no food on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭quartz1

72,000 people applied to " Be on Call for Ireland " and this week despite carnage in the Nursing Homes we heard some were short on Staff... .they recruited 50 people according to Leo...50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Jizique

So many different elements to the plan and he wants to get it absolutely right and not BS his way out of a question?
    Grow up, he is doing well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

What about all the aul fellas who are commiting suicide as a result of the pub closures? Two Gents in their 50s near me commited suicide over the last 3 weeks because they can't spend all day in the local and were therefore lonely and isolated

• Advertisement

quartz1 wrote: »
    72,000 people applied to " Be on Call for Ireland " and this week despite carnage in the Nursing Homes we heard some were short on Staff... .they recruited 50 people according to Leo...50

Did you apply? Would you go into a care home or send your loved ones to work there?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Andrew00 wrote: »
    What about all the aul fellas who are commiting suicide as a result of the pub closures? Two Gents in their 50s near me commited suicide over the last 3 weeks because they can't spend all day in the local and were therefore lonely and isolated

Eh? That makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

Leo did well I think.

Strazdas wrote: »
    In fairness, there is a lot of detail in that PDF.......it runs to 23 pages (!)

Indeed. The PDF of the roadmap is a fairly hefty document.

https://assets.gov.ie/73722/ffd17d70fbb64b498fd809dde548f411.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

In fairness, nobody commits suicide because they can’t get to a pub. As sad and all as that is there were obviously other issues at play there.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Eh? That makes no sense.

All of them; I mean all of them - well, actually two; with issues anyway given they spent all day in the pub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

quartz1 wrote: »

On call for what? How many of the 72,000 were in any way eligible?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Well done Leo. Considering the complexity of the document and how quick everything moves, not to mention all the vultures looking for something to crucify him on, he did well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Surely these cases should be considered clusters nd not community spread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,007 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In fairness he's not wrong, Varadkar is a grand standing puppet.

Like most FG heads he’s a money man, who values healthy spreadsheets ahead of healthy people. He was too slow out of the traps, for a medical guy too, hmmm, no leadership.

I said at the beginning, give me a healthy population ahead of a healthy economy. Economy will recover, in time, on the other hand, people who died, won’t . We are lucky in this country we have at its work life coalface and beyond some of the most intelligent, hard working, diligent and flexible groups of people in the world. We’ll be ok, because of them, us.

This country will get back on its feet, it will be a testimony to the resolve, work ethic and community drive up and down the county, no fûcker in Dáil Éireann will facilitate or be the reason for that. Instead WE will be. Knock us down ? Well we will build this country back up, stronger, brighter, kinder and bolder for US.

Fûck the corporate slugs.. you saw their reactions and loyalties when the doors were to be locked.. and tills less profitable. Their concern wasn’t the health of you and me, their employees or their families, only spreadsheets and investors and fûck everyone else....

That’s not a flag I’m endorsing, I want us all to do well, I don’t want anyone’s success to be at the cost of either the citizens of this country or anywhere else, a pipe dream maybe, for now but the biggest wake up call has hit us and soon, them too, let’s make sure they get the message.

• Advertisement

I understand what your saying but like it or not these are essential workers.
    If the HSA went around to every food processing plant and forced closures, we would have no food on the table.

They may be important to the economy, but with 90% of meat production exported, they are not essential.
    The meat processing industry could have a much larger negative impact on the economy if they are a continuous source of covid 19 spread.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Goddammit.

Is it just my phone, but whenever the RTE news sends me notifications, it instantly disappears.

Sorry, anyone got that latest news message. It takes time to appear on the news app itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭quartz1

wakka12 wrote: »
    On call for what? How many of the 72,000 were in any way eligible?

Certainly more than 50.people out of 72000 were presumably qualified in a situation where Nursing Homes were short on Staff and over 600 unfortunate individuals were dying alone. Did Simon Harris appear a few weeks ago telling People " We want your help" .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

This always puzzles me. Did you think that he could learn it all off by heart since the meeting today and then regurgitate it back out like a computer? Could you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,007 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

techdiver wrote: »
    If for instance on the 18th of May tennis and golf clubs are permitted to open how will that work as regards to travel to those locations?

Many golf clubs are in the "middle of nowhere" and outside of the permitted travel area. So how do we square that circle?

I’m just guessing that if you live in D7 and your fully paid up membership is in Forrest Little you just can’t play. Frustrating but..

You’ll be told now in a minute that you’re virtue-signalling. Suicide among men living alone was important before but for some people it just doesn’t have the high drama content of covid I’m afraid .

owlbethere wrote: »
    Surely these cases should be considered clusters nd not community spread.

Yes, for cases within the plant, but probably community spread for cases that may appear in the villages and towns where the infected employees shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Whirlaway

techdiver wrote: »
    If for instance on the 18th of May tennis and golf clubs are permitted to open how will that work as regards to travel to those locations?

Many golf clubs are in the "middle of nowhere" and outside of the permitted travel area. So how do we square that circle?

There's no circle to square. Those golf clubs would remain closed, I imagine.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I thought Leo did well to be honest, for me he gave me goals, and explained several real life examples of how the easing would work, while balancing the reality that we cant stretch the limits of any easing

And I admired him for saying they did get stuff wrong like the ppe etc and admitting there will need to be changes in the future

I thought it was very balanced tbh and I tend to consider him to be quite robotic

And I'm now someone who will work remotely until at least September if not December at least, apart from my OH and his kids, all my friends and family are more than 20km away so I wont see them for a while, and the sports I do (sailing primarily) wont happen this summer, and I bet you anything ita going to be a scorched

If anyone wants an insight into what going back to an office will be like, my company will do temperature scanning twice a day when we return, half a quarter of staff in at any given time, meeting room use will be minimal, restrictions on use of kitchen areas, and immediate quarantine for so much as a cough along with mandatory wearing of facemasks which the company will supply

It's a global company who have reopened in China so they've planned it out worldwide

I'm taking the view at this point that it will be 2021 before I go back to the office I can do 100% of my job from home, going back for me includes public transport and the risk that adds, for a socially distant office and the risk outweighs the benefits

We were also a fierce social office, it's sad to think that's gone too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭boardise

owlbethere wrote: »
    Its going to be a dry one

Not too dry I hope . Farmers will need rain at some stage. :D

Stheno wrote: »
    I thought Leo did well to be honest, for me he gave me goals, and explained several real life examples of how the easing would work, while balancing the reality that we cant stretch the limits of any easing

And I admired him for saying they did get stuff wrong like the ppe etc and admitting there will need to be changes in the future

I thought it was very balanced tbh and I tend to consider him to be quite robotic

I’m not a fan of Leo at all. I’ve been disappointed in him overall since he’s been Taoiseach. But there isn’t another elected TD that could have done any better then him in this crisis. Every world leader has been blindsided by this.
    It nearly killed Boris (literally).
    Bitching about him because he came on tv hours after a meeting and didn’t have all the nitty gritty tripping off his tongue is evidence of terrible immaturity.

And I'm now someone who will work remotely until at least September if not December at least, apart from my OH and his kids, all my friends and family are more than 20km away so I wont see them for a while, and the sports I do (sailing primarily) wont happen this summer, and I bet you anything ita going to be a scorched

If anyone wants an insight into what going back to an office will be like, my company will do temperature scanning twice a day when we return, half a quarter of staff in at any given time, meeting room use will be minimal, restrictions on use of kitchen areas, and immediate quarantine for so much as a cough along with mandatory wearing of facemasks which the company will supply

It's a global company who have reopened in China so they've planned it out worldwide

I'm taking the view at this point that it will be 2021 before I go back to the office I can do 100% of my job from home, going back for me includes public transport and the risk that adds, for a socially distant office and the risk outweighs the benefits

We were also a fierce social office, it's sad to think that's gone too

Thought leo did alright myself, at the end of the day we've now a plan and dates to work with and aim towards.

As for the office we're already fairly well spaced in ours and theres no hot desks, so it'll probably come down to a personal choice, we've been set up to WFH for at least the last 3 years. I'll be back in anyway over the summer and I've no issue with that. Sooner the better if I'm honest, WFH just doesn't suit me. The social side of work probably gone until 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

They may be important to the economy, but with 90% of meat production exported, they are not essential.
    The meat processing industry could have a much larger negative impact on the economy if they are a continuous source of covid 19 spread.

Do you have a source?.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Glad to be of service SG.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,735 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thought leo did alright myself, at the end of the day we've now a plan and dates to work with and aim towards.

My thoughts too - don't be an arsehole and we can start opening up again

On the cusp of controlling it or being overrun by it if you think your street/birthday/any other excuse party takes priority

• Advertisement

Do you have a source?.

Teagasc

The Irish beef sector is extremely export dependent
    with over 90% of production exported in 2014, with the
    overwhelming majority of this beef was exported to the EU
    market.

https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/publications/2016/Beef-Manual-Section1.pdf

I’m not a fan of Leo at all. I’ve been disappointed in him overall since he’s been Taoiseach. But there isn’t another elected TD that could have done any better then him in this crisis. Every world leader has been blindsided by this.
    Bitching about him because he came on tv hours after a meeting and didn’t have all the nitty gritty tripping off his tongue is evidence of terrible immaturity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Is trump still not doing a briefing? I miss watching it, it was funny

fritzelly wrote: »
    My thoughts too - don't be an arsehole and we can start opening up again

On the cusp of controlling it or being overrun by it if you think your street/birthday/any other excuse party takes priority

Yeah and look I was annoyed during the week that there wasn't a plan and it didnt look like we'd get dates, but now we've dates assigned to each stage, gives everyone something to work towards. Plus if things are going well certain aspects could move into an earlier stage.

Hopefully we dont have to stop moving into the next stages or pausing but I'm more optimistic than I was previously. Back in the office at some point during the summer and I'll be able to meet friends soon and we can visit the local in august all going well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,326 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

splinter65 wrote: »

People pointing out on social media that if that had been Johnson or Trump, they would have tried to spoof their way through that part of the interview (so used are they to lying to and deceiving the public)......they wouldn't even dream of looking for notes to double check if what they are saying is true.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement