Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XVI- 21,983 in ROI (1,339 deaths) 3,881 in NI (404 deaths)(05/05)Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=templebar

more about in dublin but still tiny number compared to normal.

2 women hanging around, one with a DSLR doing a photo shoot.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

spookwoman wrote: »
    Critical care number have gone down in the last week but unfortunately suspected cases in critical care, ICU deaths suspected not changing much and
    numbers not changing much for ventilated which is worrying.

That's not worrying to me. Numbers increasing would have me worried.

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=templebar

more about in dublin but still tiny number compared to normal.

People live in Temple Bar too so it's basically completely empty. There are more people walking past my house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

Breaking: A further 25 people have died from Covid-19, and there are 343 additional cases in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

shame to see the rise in cases again.

but overall the cases have down over the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

The rise in cases seems concerning, hadn't we been dropping in the previous four days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭harr

Increase in numbers but fluctuation is expected and numbers will probably rise slightly as the criteria for testing changes.
    The big plus today is the number in ICU beds which is very encouraging.

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

hmmm wrote: »
    The risk was very low - at the time. And you could argue it's still low.
    It is still low but it you let the infection rate grow exponentially it will very very soon not be low at all any more. People don't get this 10,000 people infected today spreading it with a Ro of 2.0 and in a week or two you have 100,000 and a couple of weeks later you have 1 million.

The preventative measures have to be put in place when the risk is low otherwise it is too late.
    The Spanish flu killed 130 million people worldwide - so far Covid 19 has just done 240,000 so far.
    That's because the world reacted with basic steps that they simply did not understand a 100 years ago. I am sure at the start of the Spanish Flu anyone suggesting a lockdown would have been laughed off the stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Italy reports highest death toll since April 21st with 475 new fatalities in last 24 hours and 1,900 new cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Italy reports highest death toll since April 21st with 475 new fatalities in last 24 hours and 1,900 new cases.

No let up by the looks of things. Tie down everything and it appears to become somewhat stable if any, but once the restrictions are loosened up the numbers climb again.
    Didn't something similar happen in Germany earlier this week.

25 more deaths from COVID-19 confirmed by the Department of Health this evening. 343 new cases have been reported. It brings to 21,176 the total number of cases here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Word on the street is .......
    You heard it on boards first....

https://twitter.com/johnrobertsfox/status/1256576858923073539?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Fann Linn wrote: »
    No let up by the looks of things. Tie down everything and it appears to become somewhat stable if any, but once the restrictions are loosened up the numbers climb again.

As bad as it sounds theres going to be a lag in deaths of a few weeks, unfortunately those that died would have been diagnosed weeks ago.

Italy haven't loosened any restrictions until next week.

Germany 1 graph had a higher R value but consensus is it's still around .7 in Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

WHO Suggesting the Sweden model (trust your citizens to self regulate) may work for countries relaxing lockdowns: https://nypost.com/2020/04/29/who-lauds-sweden-as-model-for-resisting-coronavirus-lockdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

25 more deaths from COVID-19 confirmed by the Department of Health this evening. 343 new cases have been reported. It brings to 21,176 the total number of cases here.

Why are they still using the confirmed figure when the last I read was in excess of 10,000 have recovered. I don't understand the reason to continue to count recovered cases.

A lot of people gonna be upset if Trump is found to be actually correct on this call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭boardise

What's the problem with swimming?

Fear of a second wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Please don't...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

And nothing to add about the 1,900 number? That's the 3rd lowest number of new cases reported since March 11th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭harr

A Fox News journalist blaming China, that’s a surprise and I use the word journalist loosely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

schmoo2k wrote: »
    WHO Suggesting the Sweden model (trust your citizens to self regulate) may work for countries relaxing lockdowns: https://nypost.com/2020/04/29/who-lauds-sweden-as-model-for-resisting-coronavirus-lockdown

Based on what I'm seeing in my neighbourhood today, a lot of our citizens shouldn't be trusted outdoors at the best of times, nevermind now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,730 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Same guy saying the CFR was only 0.3 and had the conversation about everyone being vaccinated

No agenda there like tho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

RIP, the 25 people who died

branie2 wrote: »
    RIP, the 25 people who died

See you the same time tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I think it's very possible.
    How many other labs are there in China similar to the one in Wuhan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

let me decode that for you :pac: , 1 agency did the work and the rest heard about it :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

fritzelly wrote: »
    Same guy saying the CFR was only 0.3 and had the conversation about everyone being vaccinated

No agenda there like tho...

So don’t shoot the messenger. Guy may well be a dick. What about the 17 intelligence agencies. Hope but it’s obvious to dogs in the street. No before you say anything they are probably biased on account of the fact that certain Chinese people like to est them.

Putting everything aside. It’s obvious. Why did deadly bat virus decide to show up in city with deadly bat virus lab. Coincidence I’m sure.

Why did deadly bat virus decide to show up in city with deadly bat virus lab. Coincidence I’m sure.

One of those mysteries like why did swine flu originate from a pig farm - guess we'll never know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I think it's very possible.
    How many other labs are there in China similar to the one in Wuhan?

just the 1, it contains 1300 different viruses or 1299 now

https://www.livescience.com/china-lab-meets-biosafety-levels-new-coronavirus.html

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

sterz wrote: »
    And nothing to add about the 1,900 number? That's the 3rd lowest number of new cases reported since March 11th.

The bad news is the important bit. Much like confirmed cases but no recovered figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Deaths per million
    England - 446
    Wales - 308
    Scotland - 286
    Northern Ireland - 197

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Strazdas wrote: »
    He discussed this in his LLS interview. He said four people can meet up outdoors......sitting at a table at a barbecue would be acceptable for example (or standing for that matter).

Seems like everyone has skipped straight to this part as of today. Big groups in front gardens and parks everywhere you look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

See you the same time tomorrow

Think he's only posting it to annoy you at this stage.:D
    I mean it's a pointless exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,323 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

fullstop wrote: »
    Seems like everyone has skipped straight to this part as of today. Big groups in front gardens and parks everywhere you look.

That's not meant to happen until May 18th, we're still under the strict lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

A lot of people gonna be upset if Trump is found to be actually correct on this call.

Yea, but Saddam had weapons of mass destruction too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

People keep saying this but I'm looking at their graphs and see the same consistently downward trend that's been happening since the peak of late March/early April. Some spikes in mortality at the start of each week following a weekend drop, likely due to under reporting (as in many countries) but trending downwards overall.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/germany/

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Summer2020

That's not meant to happen until May 18th, we're still under the strict lockdown

Strict lockdown me hole. Hasn’t been a strict lockdown since day 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Rte news

RAHENY rocks, lets all touch the same stones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

It was announced too soon, people will act as if the new restrictions started the moment Leo opened his mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I thought we’d stopped posting unsubstantiated rumours. Next thing we’ll start seeing screen caps of WhatsApp messages posted as scoops on the latest news, and stories of wives working in Lidl who know about stuff the government hasn’t announced yet.

Why are they still using the confirmed figure when the last I read was in excess of 10,000 have recovered. I don't understand the reason to continue to count recovered cases.

Agreed. Remove recovered cases and the number is more accurate and less dramatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

lol, we're not, the traffic is busy af today. I can't understand how they'll ever manage this thing, are we just going to have to have deaths and new cases every day until there's a vaccine? If that's the case I don't see how they can have pubs or events open again without the whole thing getting out of control as soon as they're opened back up. It's a nightmare.

Fox news have an agenda but I suspect John Roberts is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭boardise

One of those mysteries like why did swine flu originate from a pig farm - guess we'll never know

Unless someone was telling porkies....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Expected result of usual two faced mixed messaging, what the hell else did they expected to happen with Leo's 2m down to 1m announcement based on nothing, excepting possible hospitality industry pressure.

lol, we're not, the traffic is busy af today. I can't understand how they'll ever manage this thing, are we just going to have to have deaths and new cases every day until there's a vaccine? If that's the case I don't see how they can have pubs or events open again without the whole thing getting out of control as soon as they're opened back up. It's a nightmare.

Garden centre open up near me in Co. Roscommon today. I thought they were shut down until further notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

[QUOTE=Thelonious Monk;113334569? If that's the case I don't see how they can have pubs or events open again without the whole thing getting out of control as soon as they're opened back up. It's a nightmare.[/QUOTE]

Yes. This is all about buying time until a vaccine or effective treatment is in play. If we don't have a vaccine (i think we will, though) by Autumn, then we may have a second wave come Winter. However, that said the Government is probably banking on testing and contract tracing being at the required level to ensure any outbreak will be brought under control quickly . Let's hope so, because if not the resistance to a second lockdown will be a lot greater than it was to this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Garden centre open up near me in Co. Roscommon today. I thought they were shut down until further notice.

It probably sells chicken feed , the one in Bandon was open today and they are exempted because they sell chicken feed to the farmers.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

boardise wrote: »
    Fear of a second wave.

That's awesome, thanks:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement