Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XVI- 21,983 in ROI (1,339 deaths) 3,881 in NI (404 deaths)(05/05)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

splinter65 wrote: »
    You’d have to wonder what is the harm if I wander around my neighbours side entrance and sit in a deck chair socially distanced from the next person drinking my own beer and enjoying her fire pit and her spotify list before wandering home.

Right next to her slowly expanding cloud of covid air, as the evening zephyr gently wafts it in your direction.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Interesting article on how strange the effects of the virus on some people are.

"Blood clots form throughout the body. The brain and intestines may also be affected. Some suffer changes to their personality, suggesting brain damage."

How is this possible?' Researchers grapple with Covid-19's mysterious mechanism

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/01/how-is-this-possible-researchers-grapple-with-covid-19s-mysterious-mechanism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Thanks, didn't know that, thought it was just essential places.

Garden centres and hardware stores are legally allowed to open and defined as essential services, many have just chosen not to open though.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Is there something wrong with this thread loading or is there something wrong with the site? Haven't been able to access it on my phone at all since yesterday and it takes a minute to change page :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Is there something wrong with this thread loading or is there something wrong with the site? Haven't been able to access it on my phone at all since yesterday and it takes a minute to change page :eek:

Site is fecked on touch, it's working fine on my computer but not at all on mobile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

What is interesting about those comments? He simple says Sweden took the approach to rely on their citizens. If the solution is relying on Irish people to get it together and follow a similar path we're ****ed. We're totally and utterly ****ed. If the measures we have taken show us anything, it's that we cannot rely on our citizens to do what's in the best interest of society. While the vast majority of people DID follow our guidelines it only takes a hand full of knuckle draggers to **** it up, which we have droves of, as seen in the last few weeks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Interesting article on how strange the effects of the virus on some people are.

"Blood clots form throughout the body. The brain and intestines may also be affected. Some suffer changes to their personality, suggesting brain damage."

How is this possible?' Researchers grapple with Covid-19's mysterious mechanism

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/01/how-is-this-possible-researchers-grapple-with-covid-19s-mysterious-mechanism
    It's a puzzler alright Ig, though if you look at other viral illnesses you'll always have a percentage of people with weird symptoms. So there's that. If you take influenza, particularly the nasty strains you'll have up to a quarter of infected that will have zero symptoms, most will have the "usual" symptoms in varying degrees of severity, from felling a bit meh all the way up to dying from it, but you'll also have a small percentage with oddball symptoms too. Rashes, gastro issues, septic shock type symptoms. In the very old flu can come with delirium and confusion which suggests neurological involvement. IIRC the 1918 Spanish pandemic had its fair share of odd symptoms in many.

Now this is a new virus for us all(though we've likely all had some form of coronavirus before. A percentage of the common cold is corona in nature) and we're scrabbling to keep track of the little bastard, so the natural tendency is to jump at everything and anything that comes along, from odd symptoms to treatments.

Plus it's possible that some of the treatments we're giving to the hospitalised might be causing symptoms that aren't actually Covid19 in nature, or are interacting in a way that makes it look like they could be.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Heard a few stories on FB (I know, I know) that the Gardai were essentially too afraid to approach groups of people congregating in working class areas. I figured it was bollocks.

However, the Gardai were called this evening on a large group (50+) congregating in my own area, came along in their car, pulled down their windows, waved and left everyone to their completely not distanced p*ss up. I thought they were meant to break that crap up?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't blame the Gardai in many cases like that P. I mean it was what, a fortnight or more after the lockdown came in where they were given any extra powers to enforce it. Plus if they do come out all guns blazing they're damned. They're damned if the do, or if they don't.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ecuador reports 308 new deaths and a gross underestimate according to reports from the country which is being hit very badly.

India reports 100 new deaths which is the highest for them so far, again most observers believe that to be a serious underestimate.

frillyleaf wrote: »

There's an issue with the Boards servers the last number of days, there was an announcement from the Boards team saying they are aware of it and working to fix, but they don't know when it will be fixed, it's a server issue due to "nodes under strain" and only seems to affect touch version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Ecuador reports 308 new deaths and a gross underestimate according to reports from the country which is being hit very badly.

India reports 100 new deaths which is the highest for them so far, again most observers believe that to be a serious underestimate.

Russia had 9,600 cases today.

Higher than America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Miike wrote: »
    What is interesting about those comments?...

That I found them interesting.

1,471 deaths recorded so far today across the states, 67,224 total. Over 70,000 on Monday at this rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Russia had 9,600 cases today.

Higher than America.

No way USA will be less than Russia today.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

1,471 deaths recorded so far today across the states, 67,224 total. Over 70,000 on Monday at this rate.

Were you right last week? Any guess for all the Monday's going forward, maybe get them out of the way in one post?
    The US just flew past 53,000 deaths, 1001 so far today. Will probably pass 54k before the end of the day.

Trump's great 60k projection will be lucky to last out Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,270 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

sterz wrote: »
    Were you right last week? Any guess for all the Monday's going forward, maybe get them out of the way in one post?

It didn't take a genius to project their figures last week. They topped 60000 by Tuesday. They'll have to be 70000 by Monday/Tuesday next.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Italy haven't loosened any restrictions until next week.

Incorrect, they already have lifted some. For instance, people can now travel 5km from their house (as opposed to the 200mts beforehand) and, if I'm not mistaken, they can also visit family members. Some open air markets have reopened, too. IIRC, they've also reopened slot machine places (I'll look for the link later).
    GM228 wrote: »
    There's an issue with the Boards servers the last number of days, there was an announcement from the Boards team saying they are aware of it and working to fix, but they don't know when it will be fixed, it's a server issue due to "nodes under strain" and only seems to affect touch version.

Not only the touch version, believe you me. The desktop version is also crawling (actually, crawling would indicate some sort of movement...).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

New Home wrote: »
    Incorrect, they already have lifted some. For instance, people can now travel 5km from their house (as opposed to the 200mts beforehand) and, if I'm not mistaken, they can also visit family members. Some open air markets have reopened, too. IIRC, they've also reopened slot machine places (I'll look for the link later).

Not only the touch version, believe you me. The desktop version is also crawling (actually, crawling would indicate some sort of movement...).

Sorry your right some regions have, the nation is due to move to 'phase 2' on Monday I think it is, more industry reopening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Wibbs wrote: »
    I don't blame the Gardai in many cases like that P. I mean it was what, a fortnight or more after the lockdown came in where they were given any extra powers to enforce it. Plus if they do come out all guns blazing they're damned. They're damned if the do, or if they don't.

One patrol car with two to three Gardai vs fifty pissed up scrote clowns... I’d be waving at them too myself, no way would I be risking my own wellbeing and safety when my own bosses (the state) don’t have the resources to support me in the job I’m trying to do FOR the state. Wives, husbands, boyfriends, girlfriends, kids and other loved ones at home ? Struggling and worrying under the pressure of everything that’s happening and you are supposed to wade in and disperse 50 pissed up angry twats, you two mates and a Ford Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I don't know, it's like anything the gardai could do would seem an over reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Strumms wrote: »
    One patrol car with two to three Gardai vs fifty pissed up scrote clowns... I’d be waving at them too myself, no way would I be risking my own wellbeing and safety when my own bosses (the state) don’t have the resources to support me in the job I’m trying to do FOR the state. Wives, husbands, boyfriends, girlfriends, kids and other loved ones at home ? Struggling and worrying under the pressure of everything that’s happening and you are supposed to wade in and disperse 50 pissed up angry twats, you two mates and a Ford Focus.

So what are they currently being paid for?

splinter65 wrote: »
    You’d have to wonder what is the harm if I wander around my neighbours side entrance and sit in a deck chair socially distanced from the next person drinking my own beer and enjoying her fire pit and her spotify list before wandering home.

As long as your not huddled together by the river I suppose

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112915479&postcount=418

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

You could likely multiply each of those by 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

And Rules, Laws, Guidelines, Recommendations etc., all changing on a weekly basis they must be struggling to keep clear with what they can and can't do.

If they did and it escalated, it'd be on Facebook and you'd have the usual crew on there, here and elsewhere complaining about police brutality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

DubInMeath wrote: »
    If they did and it escalated, it'd be on Facebook and you'd have the usual crew on there, here and elsewhere complaining about police brutality.

And Gemma, John and crew saying look, look, look whats happening
    What happened to their court case by the way - hope its costing them thousands and thousands

fritzelly wrote: »
    What happened to their court case by the way - hope its costing them thousands and thousands
    18 minutes since the last post.

Have we flattened the curve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I'm far from a conspiracy theorist, but I'm leaning towards the Wuhan lab theory tbh. It seems far too much of a coincidence that this major virus just 'happened' to come from the city with China's largest virus laboratory. Their refusal to accept WHO investigating teams also feeds this theory. It's completely plausible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

I'm far from a conspiracy theorist, but I'm leaning towards the Wuhan lab theory tbh. It seems far too much of a coincidence that this major virus just 'happened' to come from the city with China's largest virus laboratory. Their refusal to accept WHO investigating teams also feeds this theory. It's completely plausible.

I've come round to this thinking as well. Mistake rather than malicious.

Miike wrote: »
    So what are they currently being paid for?

To do a job, which in the instance shown they didn’t have the required resources to do.

Like sending Roger Federer into Wimbledon without a racket.

I’d have zero issue with that. ;)

I've come round to this thinking as well. Mistake rather than malicious.
    Oh absolutely yeah I've no doubt that it could've been a mistake. A lot seem to instantly deny this rumour but there's no reason to suggest it couldn't be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://streamable.com/ik8ugh

I don't get this Ad.

'' keep your head up, keep your arse home.
    ... ..keep your arse home''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

https://streamable.com/ik8ugh

I don't get this Ad.

'' keep your head up, keep your arse home.
    ... ..keep your arse home''

Lol it does sound like that but it is heart strong

Don't know about the case, but they decided to have a bit of a party today in the Phoenix park. Mate's brother who was duty dealing with them heard such classics as, "natural law outweighs your law" (something that I've seen posted on here) and "I'm a man of god, and as such I know only computers get viruses".

Apparently it took most of his will power not to piss himself laughing right in your man's face at the last one.

Lol it does sound like that but it is heart strong
    No
    He say's "Keep your Arse Whole":)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

17 deaths in Nigeria today, tiny number for the size of the country, but it is by far the most deaths any sub saharan African country has reported in a single day so far

Case due to be heard on Tuesday.

Don't know about the case, but they decided to have a bit of a party today in the Phoenix park. Mate's brother who was duty dealing with them heard such classics as, "natural law outweighs your law" (something that I've seen posted on here) and "I'm a man of god, and as such I know only computers get viruses".

Apparently it took most of his will power not to piss himself laughing right in your man's face at the last one.

Classic freeman BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

RIP to all the Irish men and women who passed away in nursing homes in the last few weeks

After all your life's struggles you deserved so much better in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

I seen a comment on yt, a person mentioned nobody was taking this seriously in South Africa.
    Hope the world doesn't fall apart before lockdown is lifted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

RIP to all the Irish men and women who passed away in nursing homes in the last few weeks

After all your life's struggles you deserved so much better in the end

If only the government and health service had some advance warning of whom were the most vulnerable.....

Onesea wrote: »
    I seen a comment on yt, a person mentioned nobody was taking this seriously in South Africa.
    As always they will be sadly left at the end of the queue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

wakka12 wrote: »
    17 deaths in Nigeria today, tiny number for the size of the country, but it is by far the most deaths any sub saharan African country has reported in a single day so far

There's something very, very off about the African numbers. I'm presuming they're barely testing anyone

Onesea wrote: »

http://www.rfi.fr/en/africa/20200501-relief-for-south-africans-as-covid-19-lockdown-measures-relaxed

During the lockdown over there people were shot, beaten and jailed for breaking the lockdown, doubt that they weren't talking it seriously.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-52125713

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

People taking the piss altogether today. "Some restrictions loosened on Tuesday" has been taken to mean "Go absolutely ape**** on Saturday". There was a full scale street party going on around the corner?!?

I'm pro transparency as a rule, but I'm starting to understand why governments might parcel stuff out in small doses. A lot of people are just too stupid and too short sighted to be trusted to use common sense.

100% this. Irish people are social animals and they don't like being told what to do. When you put those two together, it's a very dangerous mix in this situation

I know by the time the June 8th one comes around we'll have carnage and a rising RO again. The Irish can't help themselves

I'm looking at a self enforced lockdown till September until I see just how fúcking stupid we are as a nation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    There's something very, very off about the African numbers. I'm presuming they're barely testing anyone

Perhaps..or they may have just got lucky and escaped an epidemic, plenty of places in Eastern Europe for example never had any widespread outbreaks. To be fair, most African countries are implementing very severe lockdowns

wakka12 wrote: »
    Perhaps..or they may have just got lucky and escaped an epidemic, plenty of places in Eastern Europe for example never had any widespread outbreaks. To be fair, most African countries are implementing very severe lockdowns
    As of 28th April they were testing 3000 per day.

https://ncdc.gov.ng/reports/weekly

Not exactly fantastic numbers for a country of 196 million!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement