Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XVI- 21,983 in ROI (1,339 deaths) 3,881 in NI (404 deaths)(05/05)Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I've ran marathons all over Ireland most of them are on quite country roads yet every single road I ran on had houses or field entrances, where are these roads you have walked that someone just decided to lay for no purpose?

Parts of the military roads in Dublin and Wicklow have virtually no houses on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Parts of the military roads in Dublin and Wicklow have virtually no houses on them.

No entrances to fields or forest? The state didn't and doesn't lay roads for the crack, it's an expensive undertaking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Gael23 wrote: »

Nope. There is no accountability in Ireland.
    Same will happen when an inquiry is opened on why nursing homes were prioritised so late.

Nope. There is no accountability in Ireland.
    Same will happen when an inquiry is opened on why nursing homes were prioritised so late.

Not just nursing homes,

Covid-19 outbreaks confirmed in 100 disability settings https://jrnl.ie/5090731

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Not just nursing homes,

Covid-19 outbreaks confirmed in 100 disability settings https://jrnl.ie/5090731

Always the last mental health settings.... still haven't even implemented the vision for change document... My thoughts with them and their familys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just heard on RTE radio 1 that authorities mixed up the remains of a covid victim and gave their family the wrong body for burial at Mullingar hospital.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭alexv

I've ran marathons all over Ireland most of them are on quite country roads yet every single road I ran on had houses or field entrances, where are these roads you have walked that someone just decided to lay for no purpose?

*I've run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

magic17 wrote: »
    All the scaremongers will be gutted

That's a bit harsh... but I could get behind it.

alexv wrote: »
    *I've run

Ok you corrected my post now maybe you can tell me where are all these roads that have no houses or field entrances on them? Or can I assume you just posted nonsense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'm here in the US, 5 states are going to be fecked for quite a while from why i can gather, and I'm in one of them. Giving it till the end of May and I'm fecking home then.

What 5 states

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Here we go ramp up testing ramp up testing weekly mantra.

The swab up the nose is bad enough, this Ramp up testing is far worse

No6OVcg.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Laugh if you want to... anybody know easiest way to cook rhubarb?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

*I've run
    Cut out the grammar naziism and discuss the topic

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

speckle wrote: »

Steam it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

iguana wrote: »
    Well that's a bullshït article. Take this for example, "We've never accelerated a vaccine in a year to 18 months," Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, tells CNN. "It doesn't mean it's impossible, but it will be quite a heroic achievement." And yet in 2009, the H1N1 vaccine was created, tested and mass vaccination began in 5 months. Yes, the creation of a flu vaccine is different, because it's an adaptation of an existing flu vaccine but clinical trials and mass production were all done and completed in that time.

Yeah but, and I say this as a passionate proponent of vaccines, rushing through the H1N1 vaccine was not without problems. I doubt very much that the testing done on H1N1 was as rigorous as it should have been. In fact, it would be impossible to carry out the full amount of testing needed in the timescale you mention. Putting pressure on companies and researchers to whittle down their testing is hardly something to celebrate. Rushing through thalidomide with insufficient testing was what caused the issues with foetuses. Thalidomide isn't a vaccine of course but any kind of medication or preventative medicine that is introduced to the body should be rigorously tested. It's not just for the craic. I realise they are allowing covid19 to bypass some of the testing and, honestly, that really concerns me.

And the article is also right that whilst a vaccine is likely, it's not a given and it's not just the intractable HIV virus that there hasn't been a vaccine developed for. I don't see what's so controversial about stating that. Surely contingency plans should be made for the possibility that a vaccine won't be found?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Yeah but, and I say this as a passionate proponent of vaccines, rushing through the H1N1 vaccine was not without problems. I doubt very much that the testing done on H1N1 was as rigorous as it should have been. In fact, it would be impossible to carry out the full amount of testing needed in the timescale you mention. Putting pressure on companies and researchers to whittle down their testing is hardly something to celebrate. Rushing through thalidomide with insufficient testing was what caused the issues with foetuses. Thalidomide isn't a vaccine of course but any kind of medication or preventative medicine that is introduced to the body should be rigorously tested. It's not just for the craic. I realise they are allowing covid19 to bypass some of the testing and, honestly, that really concerns me.

And the article is also right that whilst a vaccine is likely, it's not a given and it's not just the intractable HIV virus that there hasn't been a vaccine developed for. I don't see what's so controversial about stating that. Surely contingency plans should be made for the possibility that a vaccine won't be found?

Thalimonide is such an interesting example if any one has anytime I suggest they read up on Frances Kelsey.
    tl;dr Amazing Woman in U.S who resisted pressure from politicans, pharma and lobby groups to approve Thalomide.

A vaccine most probably will be found because for most things vaccines haven't been found for it's a matter of cost. Simply put vaccines don't make really money. A vaccine for SARS nCoV-2 would. Only for viruses like HIV where it mutates on a daily basis would a vaccine prove difficult. Nothing to suggest the current novel coronavirus has such characteristics. Regardless, contingency planning for a vaccine not being available for at least 36 months is very much happening. Realistically, if a novel vaccine or antiviral has to be designed and tested it would be at least two years before any such viable treatment would be available. Right now all that's happening is pre-existing treatments, or those already in developmment, are being repurposed for this virus and we hope they work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

speckle wrote: »

Stew with sugar and some ginger.

Edit: Make me a tart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Yeah but, and I say this as a passionate proponent of vaccines, rushing through the H1N1 vaccine was not without problems.

0.006% of young people developed narcolepsy in countries which pushed the entire population to be vaccinated rather than an initial focus on the vulnerable. I don't want to undermine what those kids have gone through but there is no way that remaining in any state of lockdown is better for the population as a whole than that level of risk.
    But that is what we are doing. You can't have public policy based on something that doesn't currently exist. You have to plan for it not happening soon/ever. But that doesn't mean that we won't have it in the near future. It's reasonably likely that we will.

There has been so much scaremongering about this pandemic. The WHO make a perfectly reasonable statement that it's too early for presumed immunity to play a part in public policy because we haven't done any studies on human immunity and therefore have no proven data to work off. And we get nearly every news organisation on the planet with headlines saying the WHO say no immunity and that means a vaccine is impossible. A tiny fraction of patients get positive tests after recovery and we have worldwide headlines screaming that people are reinfected or relapsing meaning either no vaccine or millions of people with a chronic illness. Public policy is made assuming that there won't be a vaccine, as it has to be, and we get thousands of headlines suggesting we'll never get a vaccine. A young person dies, often of something else entirely, and some news papers start reporting about the virus killing healthy 21 year olds. The constant attempts to scare the shït out of people is messed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The constant attempts to scare the shït out of people is messed up.
    The problem is that the people who already realise the virus is serious are the ones who pay attention to all the bad news, and the selfish ones who need scaring ignore it.

0.006% of young people developed narcolepsy in countries which pushed the entire population to be vaccinated rather than an initial focus on the vulnerable. I don't want to undermine what those kids have gone through but there is no way that remaining in any state of lockdown is better for the population as a whole than that level of risk.

But that is what we are doing. You can't have public policy based on something that doesn't currently exist. You have to plan for it not happening soon/ever. But that doesn't mean that we won't have it in the near future. It's reasonably likely that we will.

There has been so much scaremongering about this pandemic. The WHO make a perfectly reasonable statement that it's too early for presumed immunity to play a part in public policy because we haven't done any studies on human immunity and there for have no proven data to work off. And we get nearly every news organisation on the planet with headlines saying the WHO say no immunity and that means a vaccine is impossible. A tiny fraction of patients get positive tests after recovery and we have worldwide headlines screaming that people are reinfected or relapsing meaning either no vaccine or millions of people with a chronic illness. Public policy is made assuming that there won't be a vaccine, as it has to be, and we get thousands of headlines suggesting we'll never get a vaccine. A young person dies, often of something else entirely, and some news papers start reporting about the virus killing healthy 21 year olds. The constant attempts to scare the shït out of people is messed up.

Prior to this outbreak science reporting in the mainstream was a disaster. Now that you have a scientific issue that is primetime daily rollling newscoverage every single public statement by anyone it's f**ing depressing. Even an opinion by an individual expert is still the lowest form of evidence. The part that's pissed me off the most about this and I'm sorry I've gotta rant here is people moaning about the contradictions "two months ago you said.. ." yeah no sh*t sherlock that's what science is, this is a new virus, we learn from mistakes, makes corrections and constantly attempt to refine the understanding of whatever it is we're studying. The way some people have acted it's like they expect someone who goes on a first date, give an opinion or impression of what they thought about the other person, to never change or revise their assessment on future dates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Are they tests to be analysed or just testing kits? I thought we were on top of the backlog and didn’t need Germany anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

We must be doing more than 7k tests a day now as I thought thats the capacity our labs had.

Double post

Are they tests to be analysed or just testing kits? I thought we were on top of the backlog and didn’t need Germany anymore?

They've signed a contract for continued use of the German labs as part of the 100,000 tests a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

They've signed a contract for continued use of the German labs as part of the 100,000 tests a week.

Oh right m, that’s good so.

We must be doing more than 7k tests a day now as I thought thats the capacity our labs had.

Paul Reid said this morning that 12k were done on Friday

Very positive news. Huge ramp up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭jackboy

Does this mean that the samples were taken? Or results completed.

jackboy wrote: »

Samples processed in the labs as far as I know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Turtwig wrote: »
    Thalimonide is such an interesting example if any one has anytime I suggest they read up on Frances Kelsey.
    tl;dr Amazing Woman in U.S who resisted pressure from politicans, pharma and lobby groups to approve Thalomide.

Yeah, she's a hero.
    A vaccine most probably will be found because for most things vaccines haven't been found for it's a matter of cost. Simply put vaccines don't make really money. A vaccine for SARS nCoV-2 would. Only for viruses like HIV where it mutates on a daily basis would a vaccine prove difficult. Nothing to suggest the current novel coronavirus has such characteristics. Regardless, contingency planning for a vaccine not being available for at least 36 months is very much happening. Realistically, if a novel vaccine or antiviral has to be designed and tested it would be at least two years before any such viable treatment would be available. Right now all that's happening is pre-existing treatments, or those already in developmment, are being repurposed for this virus and we hope they work.

That's good to hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 IndigoStar

jackboy wrote: »

Well I was one of the people tested on Fri and I don't have any results yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

No entrances to fields or forest? The state didn't and doesn't lay roads for the crack, it's an expensive undertaking.

Very few, most of the mountain has no fields just bog with some forests that should not be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I've walked plenty of stretches of road in Ireland with not one residential or farm entrance. Presumably you'd have no objection to closing those off to traffic?
    Speaking of farms, it's about time Ireland adopted a measure similar to Sweden's freedom to roam principle.

https://visitsweden.com/what-to-do/nature-outdoors/nature/sustainable-and-rural-tourism/freedomtoroam/

If a road gets next to no vehicular traffic then there's no point closing them to traffic. I live on a rural road with quiet a bit of traffic but it's not enough to bar anybody walking in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Very positive news. Huge ramp up.

Yes positive in the numbers of tests carried out, negatively doe there is not much testing in the community most testing is in nursing homes and other related institutions.

19 deaths and 330 new cases this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gsxrcbrr1r6

Hi all I'm working as a welder in louth I'm currently getting the wage subsidy sceme but my company is making some of us work full time for the covid payment 410 and for them to top us up to our normal wage what are my options is this right? Theres lads at home on the same money we have to work for can I refuse to work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Hi all I'm working as a welder in louth I'm currently getting the wage subsidy sceme but my company is making some of us work full time for the covid payment 410 and for them to top us up to our normal wage what are my options is this right? Theres lads at home on the same money we have to work for can I refuse to work?

Report them anonymously. I suppose don't use your mobile. Don't know how you would contact anonymously but maybe others do. Phone Citizens Advice on Tuesday first. Rotten and undoubtedly illegal.

Your option is to continue working or go on the dole and get €203 a week.
    If you start getting annoyed by 'others at home' you'll only anger yourself.
    Personally being at work to me is great for the mind and mental health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

RIP, the 19 people who died

Your option is to continue working or go on the dole and get €203 a week.
    If you start getting annoyed by 'others at home' you'll only anger yourself.
    Personally being at work to me is great for the mind and mental health.

The company cannot use pandemic payment to subsidise their wage bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

Kids birthday in my estate. One set of grandparents attending even though the mother seems to have a bad cough.Lockdown my arse!

Gynoid wrote: »
    Report them anonymously. I suppose don't use your mobile. Don't know how you would contact anonymously but maybe others do. Phone Citizens Advice on Tuesday first. Rotten and undoubtedly illegal.

Thank you I have a feeling I was being screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

They aren't, it's a separate payment companies can avail of.

You do know what the purpose of the TWSS is I take it?

• Advertisement

Thank you I have a feeling I was being screwed.

Ring Citizens Advice. Maybe there is some clause if company have large loss of income. Check it out first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

shamco wrote: »
    Kids birthday in my estate. One set of grandparents attending even though the mother seems to have a bad cough.Lockdown my arse!

There is loads of people now mixing that weren't last week.

And families like you mentioned.

We never had a proper lockdown and that's why we will be with restrictions longer.

Ring Citizens Advice. Maybe there is some clause if company have large loss of income. Check it out first.

Ok thank you I've requested a call back it's not that I dont want to work it's that I'm getting this payment and working for it and I've to pay it back in the end.

You were advising someone to anonymously report his company , but it appears you don't know what they should be reporting them for.

Er, the whole point of the subsidy scheme is that if a company can show significant loss of turnover the state will subsidise their employees' wages.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement