Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XVI- 21,983 in ROI (1,339 deaths) 3,881 in NI (404 deaths)(05/05)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

If demand outweighs the supply why wouldn't we use the service of the German lab when that link is already established.

That's what I just said. "If demand outweighs the supply" or to simply put it we don't have irish lab capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Where are you in Dublin ? I am in Dublin and people are being very sensible

Same. Cracking day today so went for a walk, and the roads and paths were surprisingly quiet. Really expected the ball to be dropped but it’s going ok in my area anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

spookwoman wrote:
    That's what I just said. "If demand outweighs the supply" or to simply put it we don't have irish lab capacity.
    Irish capacity is increasing every week.

The important thing is that tests can be processed without causing another backlog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

igCorcaigh wrote:
    Just curious, but does anyone know the cost of the PCR test? As in, the reagents I assume.
    Depends on the platform used.

In our hospital its about 200 euro per test.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Italy reports 1,389 new cases of coronavirus and 174 new deaths.

Total of 210,717 cases and 28,884 deaths.
    Italy

Dead/Resolved = 28884/110538 = 26.13%

Last time I checked it over 3 weeks ago it was ~36%, and ~44% a month ago.

So on that metric they're continuing to improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Same. Cracking day today so went for a walk, and the roads and paths were surprisingly quiet. Really expected the ball to be dropped but it’s going ok in my area anyway.

Same. Walked st annes and dollymount. Big crowds around, but small groups keeping distance. Havent seen a breach anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

You must have missed that part where they said it was All open to changes

They print out a PDF for Leo to have in his pocket on the late latle and some people think the government are on top of things it's laughable

So he brought notes to a meeting, big bloody deal. Don’t see why people get so bent out of shape over this stuff.
    It's not my job to have a plan, Sure Leo said they changed the date of Barbers opening because Tony Holohan doesn't have hair and he does so he said they needed it open sooner

You can qoute me on this they will change there plans as other more proactive nations annocue how effect there changes are,
    Nothing wrong with that butthey should just admit there waiting to see whaat happens else where before doing anything

You have no idea what kind of pressure they would be under trying to lead through this, dealing with all of the possible scenarios this situation may throw up. You can’t even throw together a 3 sentence statement without multiple errors my 8 year old wouldn’t commit.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Discodog wrote: »
    Maybe if they didn't have so many pointless checkpoints it would free up Gardai to deal with the real issues.

Not like you to be complaining about Gardaí :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

robbiezero wrote: »
    Same. Walked st annes and dollymount. Big crowds around, but small groups keeping distance. Havent seen a breach anywhere.

Was at Fairview Park and it was the same. Lots of small groups keeping a safe distance.

Passed by a street in Ballybough and had quite a few people sitting out with music going. Hopefully it all doesn't get loose as the evening wears on.

Alcohol consumption and loosened inhibitions in the good weather may well be detrimental in the recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,830 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Dr in French media claiming a patient had pneumonia on 27th December and they re-tested blood recently and it tested positive for covid19 suggesting it was in France before first case. Not sure how accurate it is but interesting.

https://twitter.com/BBCkatyaadler/status/1257004321306222592

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Seems like with the numbers the last few days we are well on track for the easing of restrictions. Starting to look like this virus will fizzle out over the next few weeks.

I would love for this virus to fizzle out and go away but it looks unlikely that it will. I was reading up about the original SARS and also MERS. Mers is still circulating slowly in the middle East. The SARS died out because of containment measures taken at the time and also it made people too ill so those infected weren't able to get up and move around and transmissions were low and so it died out.

This virus is different in that there are mild cases and asymptomatic cases and also people are infectious before symptoms appear, so transmissions are increased. If the virus was to hit people hard and quickly and floor them there would be potential for the virus to fizzle out but that's not happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Eod100 wrote: »
    Dr in French media claiming a patient had pneumonia on 27th December and they re-tested blood recently and it tested positive for covid19 suggesting it was in France before first case. Not sure how accurate it is but interesting.

Wow. Oh my goodness. We need to do similar tests all around. This is a game changer for sure. It would indicate that a lot more people had this virus before it was discovered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

The comments on that are :eek: "omg I had *list of generic flu symptoms* in December! I 100% had corona."

I'd love to know more details about this though including which test they used, before I'd make any remarks on it.

owlbethere wrote: »
    Wow. Oh my goodness. We need to do similar tests all around. This is a game changer for sure. It would indicate that a lot more people had this virus before it was discovered.

Dr. Tony Holohan was asked about reports that there were earlier cases in February by Virgin News lately but Holohan dismissed it.

The ship has sailed at this point either way but I think it would be worth knowing just for future response to illnesses like this. Not sure can it be checked by seeing if patients have antibodies or by rechecking blood samples say.

Anecdotally a lot of reports that people think they had it in January or Christmas but could just be confirmation bias.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5371805/coronavirus-ireland-tony-holohan-not-aware-reports-covid-19-hospitals-before-first-confirmed-case/

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1255172256835211266

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

hawkelady wrote: »
    All well and good but you said that the virus will “ fizzle out” in the coming weeks !!! What ya smoking mate ? Cause the virus is still the same as it was on day 1. It’s going nowhere until the expects get a handle of it and a vaccine etc. It seems to be around 300 new cases every single day. Add all that up over 2 weeks even and it makes your statement utterly foolish looking
    It’s good to see the doom and gloom brigade still on the thread. While you’re so eager to mention the 300 a day or so cases ( 500/600 last week) why not mention the lower death rate this evening or the 98 in ICU that had peaked at 160, 62 less today! Maybe mentioning those figures not enough drama? Did you mention the R number is below 1 in your post?

If you look at the stats around the world the virus is losing ground, it’s losing it’s foothold. It’s going in the right direction. We are gradually getting on top of it whether you like it or not :rolleyes:

Miike wrote: »
    The comments on that are :eek: "omg I had *list of generic flu symptoms* in December! I 100% had corona."

I'd love to know more details about this though including which test they used, before I'd make any remarks on it.

Comments could well be hindsight + confirmation bias = thinking they had it without any confirmed test. Yeah agree more needs to be known, would think English speaking media will look into it.

After this is over, presume each country will do reviews plus WHO to see how they could have responded so likely be picked up then if there's something in it. Just thought it was interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

I had ronavirus in Feb. Now I am good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

98 currently in ICU as of last night.

Good article in the independent today regarding government and NPHET, seems to be growing unrest of how everything is being handled. NPHET didn't put any dates to the plan that was released the other day that was a government decision.

Well worth picking up the paper for today.

I haven't read through much of this thread as the site is so slow at present. This article should raise big questions. Do the cabinet understand their role? NPHET is an advisory group but the cabinet must make the decisions. However, they are trying to have it both ways. They want the experts to change their opinion to suit the politicians. Then they can claim they acted in accordance with scientific advice and, if things go wrong, blame the advisers. Dr. Holohan and his committee should stick to their role and let the politicians do the job they are elected to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Are the deaths in Europe just going to continue indefinitely? Like not to be negative I know it has dropped a lot but even though the number of deaths in Europe today was one of the lowest recorded in months it is still 1200 deaths and 23000 new cases. Its been almost 8 weeks of lockdown in most of Europe, in Italy and Spain even more, when Wuhan locked down the deaths were down to almost a trickle after about 3-4 weeks. How can it continue for so long? Has Europe simply not implemented strong enough lockdown to bring the new cases and deaths down to a very small number like China (apparently) did?

wakka12 wrote: »
    Are the deaths in Europe just going to continue indefinitely? Like not to be negative I know it has dropped a lot but even though the number of deaths in Europe today was one of the lowest recorded in months it is still 1200 deaths and 23000 new cases. Its been almost 8 weeks of lockdown in most of Europe, in Italy and Spain even more, when Wuhan locked down the deaths were down to almost a trickle after about 3-4 weeks. How can it continue for so long? Has Europe simply not implemented strong enough lockdown to bring the new cases and deaths down to a very small number like China (apparently) did?

Spain are fairly bouncing back, down to 164 deaths. I think they were peaking at 800+ at one stage? France doing a lot better too, 135 deaths. All quite low considering the size of the countries. Italy reported 174 deaths today. A far cry from the 900+ they peaked weeks back.

• Advertisement

But that's with lockdown. You'd worry that they would go up if restrictions eased. Hopefully testing and contact tracing ready to quickly isolate any new cases.

And guess people will still social distance and restrictions being eased slowly but you'd still be worried it's too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Seems like with the numbers the last few days we are well on track for the easing of restrictions. Starting to look like this virus will fizzle out over the next few weeks.

It will never ever fizzle out in Europe. This will be endemic disease that will flare from time to time despite massive efforts to mitigate those occassional waves of infection until a vaccine comes. Unless we did the crazy stuff the Chinese do at airports to prevent imported infections,which we absolutely wont do

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Spain are fairly bouncing back, down to 164 deaths. I think they were peaking at 800+ at one stage? France doing a lot better too, 135 deaths. All quite low considering the size of the countries. Italy reported 174 deaths today. A far cry from the 900+ they peaked weeks back.

Yep its a promising downward trend but approaching 200 deaths daily still after 8 weeks seems like a lot though

But that's with lockdown. You'd worry that they would go up if restrictions eased. Hopefully testing and contact tracing ready to quickly isolate any new cases.

And guess people will still social distance and restrictions being eased slowly but you'd still be worried it's too soon.

There’s a lot you can do yourself, avoid gatherings, wash the paws often, no physical contact with strangers , keep your distance from them. There will be a vaccine eventually.

Yep its a promising downward trend but approaching 200 deaths daily still after 8 weeks seems like a lot though

Even though they dropped circa 700 deaths in 8 weeks? That’s a bigger figure than 200.

There’s a lot you can do yourself, avoid gatherings, wash the paws often, no physical contact with strangers , keep your distance from them. There will be a vaccine eventually.

Ah yeah, true. I'd be more thinking ahead to the stages where people go back to work and are crammed on public transport again say. Think there's still no guarantee that a vaccine will work or how long it will take but hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

why are the number of covid-9 cases so high in cavan?. one if the papers was sayings they dont believe its from a spill over from the north.

crossman47 wrote: »
    I haven't read through much of this thread as the site is so slow at present. This article should raise big questions. Do the cabinet understand their role? NPHET is an advisory group but the cabinet must make the decisions. However, they are trying to have it both ways. They want the experts to change their opinion to suit the politicians. Then they can claim they acted in accordance with scientific advice and, if things go wrong, blame the advisers. Dr. Holohan and his committee should stick to their role and let the politicians do the job they are elected to do.

You've hit the nail on the head with everything you've said.

If politicians are putting arbitrary phasing dates on NPHETs phasing measures then that document isn't worth the paper it's printed on, and when it all goes tits up the government will shrug and look at the NPHET.

I hate to imagine what kind of unrest could occur with the general public if it's perceived the NPHET are 'incompetent', which in my honest opinion, they are not. They are doing one of the biggest juggling acts that any advisory group will ever be tasked with in the history of the state.

We're not that long into this fiasco and already it's getting sour and we're seeing population burn out. We don't get a second first chance. The next set (if it comes to it) of restrictive measures will not be taken quite as serious as this time around. We have to get this right.

• Advertisement

It seems that the early French case was discovered by retesting PCR swabs that were taken at the time to identify 'classical influenza' and that gave negative results.

'We repeated all the PCRs tested in patients with pneumonia in December and January whose results were negative," said Yves Cohen. "And of the 24 patients, we had a positive case at Covid-19, on December 27, when he was hospitalized with us,'

https://actu17.fr/un-patient-etait-positif-au-coronavirus-le-27-decembre-en-france-annonce-le-professeur-yves-cohen/

https://twitter.com/cecileollivier/status/1256966423919935491

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

It will never ever fizzle out in Europe. This will be endemic disease that will flare from time to time despite massive efforts to mitigate those occassional waves of infection until a vaccine comes. Unless we did the crazy stuff the Chinese do at airports to prevent imported infections,which we absolutely wont do

Some people are in denial. They want things to be normal again. I think a lot of people cannot get their heads around the reality. We will have to learn to live going forward with a new cause of death and disability that did not exist before. Sure, we will go back out, but there is not the same world any more.

It may only be very dangerous to a percentage but it is a new danger for them, an extra morbidity factor, and any body else can asymptomatically bring that danger to them.
    Even if not deadly per se to stronger people it can still knock the stuffing out of them for weeks, even months.

In future there may be good treatments, there may possibly be a vaccine though this is less likely. We can hope at the very best that it mutates to a less unpleasant illness. It may have the overall result of lowering life expectancy over the coming years. Even if tgis is a small effect it is still a reversal. After effects in the recovered may affect their lives and productivity.

Personally I think it is tragic that there is this new threat to all our health and that the comfort we can be offered thus far and for the foreseeable is that governments will have enough oxygen, respirators and dialysis machines etc for those us of unlucky enough to catch a very bad dose any time going into the future. Instead of facing this reality I see a lot of nastiness emerging in some posters, their way maybe to deal with the horrible crappiness of the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Dunno about anyone else here but today has been an eye opener with regard to people ignoring the restrictions.

This thread title should be changed to easing of restrictions has happend.

Gynoid wrote: »
    Some people are in denial. They want things to be normal again. I think a lot of people cannot get their heads around the reality. We will have to learn to live going forward with a new cause of death and disability that did not exist before. Sure, we will go back out, but there is not the same world any more.

It may only be very dangerous to a percentage but it is a new danger for them, an extra morbidity factor, and any body else can asymptomatically bring that danger to them.
    Even if not deadly per se to stronger people it can still knock the stuffing out of them for weeks, even months.

In future there may be good treatments, there may possibly be a vaccine though this is less likely. We can hope at the very best that it mutates to a less unpleasant illness. It may have the overall result of lowering life expectancy over the coming years. Even if tgis is a small effect it is still a reversal. After effects in the recovered may affect their lives and productivity.

Personally I think it is tragic that there is this new threat to all our health and that the comfort we can be offered thus far and for the foreseeable is that governments will have enough oxygen, respirators and dialysis machines etc for those us of unlucky enough to catch a very bad dose any time going into the future. Instead of facing this reality I see a lot of nastiness emerging in some posters, their way maybe to deal with the horrible crappiness of the truth.

https://www.biocentury.com/article/305091

Shows the level at which barriers are being broke to overcome this throughout the entire pharmaceutical sector. I have a very strong faith there will be a vaccine for this. Nothing like this has ever been done with such effort before in pharma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Miike wrote: »
    https://www.biocentury.com/article/305091

Shows the level at which barriers are being broke to overcome this throughout the entire pharmaceutical sector. I have a very strong faith there will be a vaccine for this. Nothing like this has ever been done with such effort before in pharma.

Yes. I do think great things will be done. Are being done. I could not face into a medical setting like so many are fearlessly doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

fullstop wrote: »
    Not like you to be complaining about Gardaí :rolleyes:

I will happy congratulate them when they break up a big party, sulkie racing etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Dunno about anyone else here but today has been an eye opener with regard to people ignoring the restrictions.

Different places are experiencing different things.

I’ve just witnessed 2 hours of 4 adults and 8 kids playing football, having races and doing the wheelbarrow race! Not an ounce of cop on between the lot of them - 5 different households involved before someone asks.

Then I’m texting with mates on other estates in the same town and there’s nobody out. Everyone complying with the restrictions.

Many people are doing their bit, it’s the ones who are not that could ruin it for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

wheres this happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

MD1990 wrote: »
    shame to see the rise in cases again.

but overall the cases have down over the week.
    PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    The rise in cases seems concerning, hadn't we been dropping in the previous four days?

Anyone else wonder whether the virus spreads as aggressively as we thought given it appears to have been in communities as much as 2 months before we thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Over here in a West of Ireland town iv seen little or no Garda activity over this weekend as regards this operation fanacht or whatever its called and I'm on the road a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

I watched this on paw patrol first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Benimar wrote: »
    Different places are experiencing different things.

I’ve just witnessed 2 hours of 4 adults and 8 kids playing football, having races and doing the wheelbarrow race! Not an ounce of cop on between the lot of them - 5 different households involved before someone asks.

Then I’m texting with mates on other estates in the same town and there’s nobody out. Everyone complying with the restrictions.

Many people are doing their bit, it’s the ones who are not that could ruin it for everyone.

Exactly the same sort of thing happening here today. I knew it would happen once they announced any easing, even if it was at a future date. Irish people are so like “ah sure it’ll be grand, I’ve been good for several weeks now, a bit of this won’t hurt, sure I’ve been careful to clean my hands and social distance, I’m not infected”. I’ve seen lots of family visiting their 60-70 year old grandparents today around here too. We’ll be lucky to even manage to meet the targets needed for phase 1 if this is going on in a widespread way unfortunately:(

rm212 wrote: »
    Exactly the same sort of thing happening here today. I knew it would happen once they announced any easing, even if it was at a future date. Irish people are so like “ah sure it’ll be grand, I’ve been good for several weeks now, a bit of this won’t hurt, sure I’ve been careful to clean my hands and social distance, I’m not infected”. I’ve seen lots of family visiting their 60-70 year old grandparents today around here too. We’ll be lucky to even manage to meet the targets needed for phase 1 if this is going on in a widespread way unfortunately:(

My worry is there isn’t much of a threat, people think it’s fine, won’t happen to me. Everyone relaxes, we get a surge, then what? Lockdown again? Will people stand for that? Everyone “stayed in” for 8-10 weeks and no surge, then we get one. No one will attach responsibility to themselves for just popping over to the grandparents, etc. Government gets blamed. And then what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

It seems that the early French case was discovered by retesting PCR swabs that were taken at the time to identify 'classical influenza' and that gave negative results.

'We repeated all the PCRs tested in patients with pneumonia in December and January whose results were negative," said Yves Cohen. "And of the 24 patients, we had a positive case at Covid-19, on December 27, when he was hospitalized with us,'

https://actu17.fr/un-patient-etait-positif-au-coronavirus-le-27-decembre-en-france-annonce-le-professeur-yves-cohen/

Holey moley. If that turns out to be accurate, it turns everything on its head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

It's the same everywhere. I was talking to my sister earlier today in Liverpool and the same carry on in Britain. Party's, football, social hangouts and similar responses by the police also. Don't go into estates but just stay on the main roads. Probably more lax over there from what I could gather.

fits wrote: »
    Holey moley. If that turns out to be accurate, it turns everything on its head.

I'd imagine that retesting of flu swabs was how our earliest lab-confirmed case (death, add the lead-in time) was found to be in the week of 17-24 Feb, not 29 Feb.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/868ad8-mortality-census-of-long-term-residential-care-facilities-1-january-/

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

My worry is there isn’t much of a threat, people think it’s fine, won’t happen to me. Everyone relaxes, we get a surge, then what? Lockdown again? Will people stand for that? Everyone “stayed in” for 8-10 weeks and no surge, then we get one. No one will attach responsibility to themselves for just popping over to the grandparents, etc. Government gets blamed. And then what?

This is exactly my fear too, well said. I find that a lot of Irish people have this annoying attitude of doing things halfway and saying it’s grand, but if it’s comes back to bite, they’ll claim like they did it 99%, if you know what I mean?

This is exactly my fear too, well said. I find that a lot of Irish people have this annoying attitude of doing things halfway and saying it’s grand, but if it’s comes back to bite, they’ll claim like they did it 99%, if you know what I mean?

The only hope is the theory that lockdown is far too heavy handed and social distancing is enough, although getting us to adhere to that may be difficult with so many interpreting the rules as they see fit. So when we do start to reopen it’s a manageable caseload for health services.

The attitude of “ah its unenforceable” is so ignorant when people don’t realise the implications for both protection of life and restarting the economy.

Gynoid wrote: »

Yawn, I do love these posts. It must be great craic in your house during this lockdown. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but life WILL get back to normal eventually. Look at other pandemics, like the 1918 one that estimated 100million deaths worldwide. Where is the Spanish flu now? It eventually disappeared and the world flourished. 2020 normality is out for sure but in the next year or 2 things WILL be a lot different than today.

MikeSoys wrote: »
    why are the number of covid-9 cases so high in cavan?. one if the papers was sayings they dont believe its from a spill over from the north.

There was an outbreak in the hospital so I’m guessing it has something to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Now that's a game changer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement