Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XVI- 21,983 in ROI (1,339 deaths) 3,881 in NI (404 deaths)(05/05)Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

Varadkar did a steady job of it overall

They let the virus rip through nursing homes while locking.down fit working.people

No getting away from that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Vintners care about one thing, money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Explain at least how you know these journeys were not essential and that the passengers did not have valid reasons for travel.

Viruses don't care about your points.
    You don't grasp how viruses work. Do you? :(

You don't grasp that certain essential journeys have to occur. Your answer was idiotic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

eagle eye wrote: »

And I care about pints. I'm in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Vintners are complaining about being treated "second class citizens". Hilarious.
    Although many people's lives seem to revolve around the pub, many of us rarely set foot in them and wouldn't care if they all vanished.
    Pubs are unnecessary to all but publicans and their staff. They should be last in line to get back to normal.
    Also, how much did pubs and nightclubs contribute to packed A&E departments on weekend nights? Really not a good idea.

And don't forget the politicians. They have a lot of family associations with pubs.
    I remember being charged €9.50 for a pint of Rockshore in a city centre pub a few years ago and asked myself what the complete **** is going on here?
    They are not needed by the Irish people. Let them go to the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Doesnt every buisness think about making money, if they dont there is no buisness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭celt262

Varadkar = incapable
    Martin = stinking of the banking crisis and incapable

We have elected fools and continue to do so.

Oh, just as I was about to post I realised you are a lover of either FF or FG.
    I don't think much of Mary Lou either but she hasn't had the chance to show she's as bad or worse than the other hopeless cases mentioned above

Varadkar isn't incapable, Martin is a klob and im not a lover of FF or FG why would you think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Two friends of mine are medics. Both said they won't fly again until there is a vaccine.

Two friends of mine are nurses, one is planning on flying home June the other September to visit family.
    Neither are waiting for a vaccine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

Vintners won't give a fuKk about distancing once they get opened

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

And don't forget the politicians. They have a lot of family associations with pubs.
    I remember being charged €9.50 for a pint of Rockshore in a city centre pub a few years ago and asked myself what the complete **** is going on here?
    They are not needed by the Irish people. Let them go to the wall.

9.50 really? Temple bar is bad but it's not 9.50 bad for a pint. Wouldn't step foot in temple bar myself, it's a tourist trap.

So based off that experience you say let them go to the wall ?? My local is €5.30 for a pint and I'd hate to see them go to the wall as all the lads working in it are local with families to support.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Isn't that the same motivator for any business?

So Macron proving that he is a fool too. How have so many European countries elected gob****es to run their countries?

Why is he a gob****e? EU countries are all on pretty much the same trajectory with respect to the slowdown of the spread, and relaxations, although nuanced between countries, are not going to be a million miles away from one another. The cost:benefit to shutting down intra-EU travel IMO makes no sense. We should just make sure that arrivals from the Americas or Africa or the Middle East quarantine at their point of entry in the EU, or else prove they have been in Europe for more than two weeks before entering Ireland

9.50 really? Temple bar is bad but it's not 9.50 bad for a pint. Wouldn't step foot in temple bar myself, it's a tourist trap.

So based off that experience you say let them go to the wall ?? My local is €5.30 for a pint and I'd hate to see them go to the wall as all the lads working in it are local with families to support.
    Yeah, €9.50. I think it was Café En Seine or one of those places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

If people actually had covid before Christmas the carnage in care homes would have begun far sooner than it did.

None of you had it before Christmas. Deal with it. Move on.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0505/1136477-covid19-coronavirus-europe/L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

No where in Ireland charges 9.50 for a pint of anything. You know his claim is bull because rockshore was only released last year.

US2 wrote: »
    No where in Ireland charges 9.50 for a pint of anything. You know his claim is bull because rockshore was only released last year.
    You know my claim is bull because Rockshore was released last year?.:rolleyes:
    It has been around for 3+ years.

Thought that myself, you do have to laugh at the exaggerating that goes on with some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Fact check on this? It would be interesting if true

https://twitter.com/GuruAnaerobic/status/1257646028326604801

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

XsApollo wrote: »
    One passenger commented that they weren’t given advice on how to keep safe?
    What age were they? 2?
    I presume they were an adult of some sort.
    I think everybody in Europe pretty much knows what’s happening, if a grown adult needs advice at this time on how to keep safe well..,..I have no idea.

Yeah I mean if you are choosing to fly right now then how can you be needing advice on how to stay safe? Have they not watched the news? Just showing up at an airport to fly in the middle of a pandemic and pawn off responsibility on other people to tell you how to keep safe seems ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

ZX7R wrote: »
    Two friends of mine are nurses, one is planning on flying home June the other September to visit family.
    Neither are waiting for a vaccine.

There you go. Doctors differ and...

• Advertisement

It hasn't, it was launched in February 2018.

So Macron proving that he is a fool too. How have so many European countries elected gob****es to run their countries?

Having a different view or making a different decision informed by different advice or personal opinion does not automatically make someone a fool, even if they are wrong. Its the process by which those decisions we arrived at and the critical thinking that was applied when forming the opinion or evaluating the options to make a decision that inform you as to the persons abilities

Tell us the name of the pub that charged you 9.50 for a pint please ?

Unviield in 2018 didnt get to most places till last year. I'm a sales rep for Diageo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

There you go. Doctors differ and...

They go into hospitals every day with the constant threat of it, work with it all day but they wont get on a flight for 2 hours.

Why is he a gob****e? EU countries are all on pretty much the same trajectory with respect to the slowdown of the spread, and relaxations, although nuanced between countries, are not going to be a million miles away from one another. The cost:benefit to shutting down intra-EU travel IMO makes no sense. We should just make sure that arrivals from the Americas or Africa or the Middle East quarantine at their point of entry in the EU, or else prove they have been in Europe for more than two weeks before entering Ireland
    It's times like these, pandemics, economic depressions, wars etc when you see who great leaders are.
    Milos Zeman and Sebastian Kurz have stepped forward as two great, strong leaders.
    Macron led France into a horrendous situation, as did Boris Johnson in the UK, Sanchez in Spain, Conte in Italy, Rutte in the Netherlands, Wilmes in Belgium and Varadkar in Ireland.
    All of those didn't move quickly enough on this pandemic and didn't put proper measures in place to best fight it as best we could.

I've a feeling we wont find out which pub charged it because there isnt any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

silverharp wrote: »
    Fact check on this? It would be interesting if true

https://twitter.com/GuruAnaerobic/status/1257646028326604801

Even if people are doing a lot more exercise and are less stressed it seems hard to believe those benefits would have such a pronounced impact on the number of strokes and heart attacks occurring in just two months. Like wouldnt it take a while longer than that to improve your health

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

To all those doubters that c-19 was here earlier!!! On the news today: French patient dying in hospital from c-19 on December 27th. What 7-10 days after infection. .. December 17th??
    Deceased was a fishmonger who's last travel was to Algeria in August 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I've a feeling we wont find out which pub charged it because there isnt any.

Well do keep trying because we have to get to the bottom of it

On behalf of everyone here, thanks for all your hard work

• Advertisement

lalababa wrote: »
    To all those doubters that c-19 was here earlier!!! On the news today: French patient dying in hospital from c-19 on December 27th. What 7-10 days after infection. .. December 17th??

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0505/1136477-covid19-coronavirus-europe/

Yes . Also reports came in from hospitals in Northern Italy that they reported a huge increase in pneumonia cases in December .

lalababa wrote:
    To all those doubters that c-19 was here earlier!!! On the news today: French patient dying in hospital from c-19 on December 27th. What 7-10 days after infection. .. December 17th?? Deceased was a fishmonger who's last travel was to Algeria in August 19.

Guess what, it might be a good idea to read through the thread before posting. You'll find if you do that this information has already been thoroughly discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Austria happy with easing of restrictions. This is what we want to see as well as we work through our phases.
    Austria says reopening shops has not accelerated coronavirus infections
    Austria’s first loosening of its coronavirus lockdown three weeks ago, in which thousands of shops reopened, has not led to a new spike in infections, though further vigilance is necessary, its health minister said on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Unusual story here of researcher in US supposedly close to making significant breakthrough on Cvodid19 killed in apparent murder suicide. It's likely pure coincidence but still.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/05/04/ross-township-apparent-murder-suicide/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭celt262

Well i wouldn't believe anything you post anyway.

Can you not read the article you got that from and post what it says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I'm a sales rep for Diageo.

Didn't you say last week you were "frontline" staff in a factory?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

niallo27 wrote: »
    They go into hospitals every day with the constant threat of it, work with it all day but they wont get on a flight for 2 hours.

They are GPs.

is_that_so wrote:
    Austria happy with easing of restrictions. This is what we want to see as well as we work through our phases.
    Yes, let's do what Austria did or the Czech Republic and move on from there.
    They are milesxl ahead of us by doing the right things.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

He didn't die :confused:

Tell us the name of the pub that charged you 9.50 for a pint please ?

Unviield in 2018 didnt get to most places till last year. I'm a sales rep for Diageo.

I call Bull**** on your claim that you work for Diageo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Now would be a good time to do widescale studies on this and a lot of the mini-studies out of this pandemic. Getting enough Vitamin D is good thing , anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Guess what, it might be a good idea to read through the thread before posting. You'll find if you do that this information has already been thoroughly discussed.

I'm afraid I'm only coming into the thread now after a short absence (which would mean hours of catching up on posts to see previous discussions).

I remember saying this either on this thread or the Ask Me Anything consultant thread - four people in work got a virus in Dec/Jan that had every hallmark of being COVID 19. Hacking cough, shortness of breath, diagnosed with viral pneumonia etc. All of them said that it was the weirdest illness they ever had, with the fever and the gasping for breath, and then feeling better, and then coming down with it again. Their GPs all mentioned that they had been seeing a lot of the same symptoms at the time.

Now I know there are ways of tracking a virus - i.e. the virus circulating at the moment can be traced back to one in the UK and previous to that, Italy, etc etc. But what if there had been a previous strain circulating that wasn't relating to the UK/Spain/Italy strains circulating in late Feb/March.

I realise I am neither a doctor or a scientist, and there will be people who are experts in this area that have repeatedly refuted that COVID 19 was circulating in Ireland in Dec/Jan. And I'm normally someone who defers to people who are actually qualified to give an answer to this. But yet, a niggling doubt remains.

What difference will it make? Well, if catching the virus provides you with some immunity, perhaps there is more immunity in the community than we think, which can only be a good thing. I'm not saying we should become complacent, after all cases in December in Italy and France haven't seemed to have helped them much.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Now would be a good time to do widescale studies on this and a lot of the mini-studies out of this pandemic. Getting enough Vitamin D is good thing , anyway!

We are taking Vit C and D now for two weeks .It cannot harm and just might help

Vitamin D deficiency can be caused by things like obesity, crohns disease etc

So I'm guessing that's why there's correlation. And unfortunately why taking vit D supplements won't do a damn thing to help you fight off covid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

owlbethere wrote: »
    That's unreal given the circumstances.

On a personal level for your own personal health and safety
    1) avoiding/minising crowds is crucial
    2) avoiding/minising travel

If it was me with a ticket, personally I wouldn't travel.

The airline also has a responsibility here considering governments have implemented social distancing guidelines to slow down the spread of this.

I will be interested in learning what the outcome of this packed flight will be in a few more weeks. Whether people get ill or not.

I agree. So much for people minimising the fact that flights were still operating here weeks ago. Looking at the photo I'm sure the following excuses that were trotted out then apply now.
    • they are british / English citizens being repatriated
    • how else are they supposed to get home?
    • there's nobody on those flights anyway

Funny how private industry operates in its interests even if it is clearly not in the interest of its employees or customers.
    Also Funny how government doesn't want to regulate as they now the airlines will hold them to ransom if they go under.

So we all live in in a state of disbelieve to aide with the cognitive dissonance of acting in everyones interests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Well unless you do, I don't know their individual, and potentially valid, reasons for travel.

In terms of distancing, that is a responsibility of Aer Lingus too, if you need to travel and it is a very full flight there isn't much you can personally do.

What possible basis could there be?
    You'd be better off from a health perspective getting a ferry over than a plane.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yeah, €9.50. I think it was Café En Seine or one of those places.

I stopped drinking there years ago as their prices were just off the scale, but I don't think it was 9.50 per pint, it was closer to 7.50 to 8 euros per pint.

gabeeg wrote: »

So I'm guessing that's why there's correlation. And unfortunately why taking vit D supplements won't do a damn thing to help you fight off covid.

Im sure it goes both ways , there would be plenty of conditions that force Vit D levels lower but loads of people are low because of lifestyle/choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

gabeeg wrote: »

Vitamin D deficiency is also very common in this part of the world without those illnesses. There has been some studies done showing correlation between low Vitamin D levels and people being up to 10x more likely to die from Covid 19. Supplementing looks to be useful and certainly no harm

Real Life wrote: »
    Vitamin D deficiency is also very common in this part of the world without those illnesses. There has been some studies done showing correlation between low Vitamin D levels and people being up to 10x more likely to die from Covid 19. Supplementing looks to be useful and certainly no harm

Absolutely no harm at all.

And I shouldn't be too discouraging on the off-chance it works :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement