Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVI- 21,983 in ROI (1,339 deaths) 3,881 in NI (404 deaths)(05/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Not making any point,just PMSL at the description of NZ’s location :D:D:D
    I remember Dylan Moran describing Australia as being located three quarters of a mile from the centre of the sun. Quite a pair Oz & NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,711 ✭✭✭✭banie01

French doctors are reporting a possible infection in Paris in late December.

This puts Covid-19 in circulation @1 month before France's 1st reported case on the 24th January.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/04/health/france-coronavirus-december-death-intl/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I'm delighted to learn today that a Kerryman found the cure for this horrible disease. Its a trip and a drink from St Fionans well, in Kerry.

LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Yes. They worked. Now we can start easing them. Or maybe we stay like this for ever?

There are thousands of option that fall somewhere between "now" and "forever"

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Ireland will be OK. We have a large rural population and not very densly populated city's. Sweden hasn't done to bad with limited restrictions and that is a very urbanised country.

What I am saying is that no one has a clue whether we are ready to start phase 1 now or in 2 weeks time. I know we will be in a better position in 2 weeks time. But I also know that it will have negative economic effects.

They are erring on the side of caution and I am all for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,998 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Not making any point,just PMSL at the description of NZ’s location :D:D:D

It's around the same distance from top of Ireland, to bottom of Italy .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

banie01 wrote: »
    French doctors are reporting a possible infection in Paris in late December.

This puts Covid-19 in circulation @1 month before France's 1st reported case on the 24th January.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/04/health/france-coronavirus-december-death-intl/index.html

On the pulse of breaking news - stick to the RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

speckle wrote: »
    Interesting going by the hair and bald patches seems to be mainly men.

Point being? :cool:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

fritzelly wrote: »
    On the pulse of breaking news - stick to the RIP

Wrong poster. Branie and Banie aren't the same person.

New Home wrote: »
    Wrong poster. Branie and Banie aren't the same person.

Oh crap - sorry ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Baffling. I ordered a rake of masks a few weeks ago on Amazon they are a must have for us. My friend lives in Germany and they are handing them out at no cost to people at the entrance to shops and public transport hubs etc..
    Politics over initial supply issues over science and common bloody sense, now they won't back down without looking like eejits. Though others have like Germany, Austria, the UK is mentioning them, the US CDC and Surgeon General did a complete about face. Here? I'd not hold my breath. It'll be the all too common response of our authorities, slow to react, wait for others to do it first and apply too many of the weapons available in a half arsed fashion. Lockdown, they got at about the right time. The whole Cheltenham thing was still in the early days so we get a pass on that score. They nailed schools closing. However in protecting the care homes, testing, contact tracing, border control, quarantine, giving the Guards resources and powers to enforce the lockdown they've either screwed up, got it half right, or only got their act together in the last week or fortnight. Apparently.

Though no journalist is asking WTF, ever. Many of the rest of us are only too glad to pronounce sure aren't we doing pretty well, because mediocrity is apparently a bullseye and some get uppity when you dare to question the authority's handling of this.

What has kept our numbers low is because most folks went along with the lockdown and social distancing and our low population density compared to our European neighbours.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Are there any Irish dogs being trained to sniff out covid19? It might be useful to have a dog working for nursing homes. To sniff staff with covid19 who might be asymptomatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

However in protecting the care homes, testing, contact tracing, border control, quarantine, giving the Guards resources and powers to enforce the lockdown they've either screwed up, got it half right, or only got their act together in the last week or fortnight. Apparently.

Once they got these powers they used them quite sparingly. Anything else would have been overkill. The guards have to maintain a reputation and credibility after the spoofers with their blown predictions and comparisons to the 50 million dead in the Spanish Flu have moved on to climatology or some other topic. There was never much serious disobedience anyway, just the odd party or whatever. In Sicily, party-goers aimed fireworks at a police helicopter. In Paris, crowds rioted and fought the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

As of 8pm tonight there are now 91 confirmed cases in ICU.
    0 COVID-19 Deaths in Critical Care Units during previous 24hrs (8am to 8am) – update at 10am daily.

680 confirmed cases in hosptial.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

Guys/Gals, what's the story with the pubs? A mate of mine rand me saying they will be open in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

coastwatch wrote:
    Success stories at bit closer, New Cases today, Czech Republic 18 Austria 24 Norway 37

You must wear a facemask in public in Austria and the Czech Republic.

Maestro85 wrote: »
    Guys/Gals, what's the story with the pubs? A mate of mine rand me saying they will be open in July.

Had he been drinking?

fritzelly wrote: »
    Had he been drinking?

Actually..... :cool: yes.... oh the irony.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Early August is the date they say they'll open

But they'll open up in June with very strict social distancing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Check the pubs reopening thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Pre-print of full report on PCR-confirmed French case on 27 December.

'Our results strongly [suggest] that many asymptomatic patients were not diagnosed during January 2020 and contributed to the spread of this epidemic.'

'One of his child[ren] presented with [influenza-like illness] prior to the onset of his symptoms.'

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924857920301643?via%3Dihub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/04/health/us-coronavirus-monday/index.html

Projected death toll in the US was revised from 100,000 down to 65,000 a few weeks ago and now has been revised upward again to 134,000

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

:D
    I love how people misconstrue news headlines.

Publicans have proposed it. Not gonna happen.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0504/1136409-vintners/

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You escaped from a Disney movie didn't you.
    Oooh, claws.
    You can fairly well go anywhere if you want to go, the Gaurds aren't that scarey. It's up to your own judgement.
    Another genius who's been posting here for a month but still hasn't the first clue of the basics.
    Read something other than a message board and educate yourself.
    Great. Except you're wrong again Jim. But glad you admit you have no credibility.
    As you seem incapable of posting in a civil manner you are now banned from posting in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Pre-print of full report on PCR-confirmed French case on 27 December.

'Our results strongly [suggest] that many asymptomatic patients were not diagnosed during January 2020 and contributed to the spread of this epidemic.'

'One of his child[ren] presented with [influenza-like illness] prior to the onset of his symptoms.'

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924857920301643?via%3Dihub

Begs to question if it took France the bones of 4 months to do retrospective analyses, have Ireland done exhaustive retrospective ones?

I think it was January 17th France had their first lab confirmed case. We knew SARS-CoV-2 presented with (in severe illness) with a certain type of CT findings and they were capable of running rRT-PCR analyses on samples since January 8th. Sounds like their surveillance might have dropped the ball a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    :D
    I love how people misconstrue news headlines.

Publicans have proposed it. Not gonna happen.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0504/1136409-vintners/

Vintners association are just making a token effort on behalf of their members. They could come up totally bomb proof plan and it still wouldnt fly, the point is society needs to opened up gradually, the pub is further down the peaking order from everything 3-6 weeks before it. Sorry but it is, most of us are still been told to stay out of the office til the same date ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

lbj666 wrote: »
    Vintners association are just making a token effort on behalf of their members. They could come up totally bomb proof plan and it still wouldnt fly, the point is society needs to opened up gradually, the pub is further down the peaking order, sorry but it is.

I don't know why you're apologising to me. I don't want them open. I just posted a link for someone who asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I don't know why you're apologising to me. I don't want them open. I just posted a link for someone who asked.

Oh no i am not having a go, just adding to it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

owlbethere wrote: »
    Are there any Irish dogs being trained to sniff out covid19? It might be useful to have a dog working for nursing homes. To sniff staff with covid19 who might be asymptomatic.

you could team it up with the cat that knows when someone is about to die

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Miike wrote: »
    Begs to question if it took France the bones of 4 months to do retrospective analyses, have Ireland done exhaustive retrospective ones?

I think it was January 17th France had their first lab confirmed case. We knew SARS-CoV-2 presented with (in severe illness) with a certain type of CT findings and they were capable of running rRT-PCR analyses on samples since January 8th. Sounds like their surveillance might have dropped the ball a bit?

I would pay money to see the genetic sequence of the sample referenced in that paper.

• Advertisement

lbj666 wrote: »
    Vintners association are just making a token effort on behalf of their members. They could come up totally bomb proof plan and it still wouldnt fly, the point is society needs to opened up gradually, the pub is further down the peaking order from everything 3-6 weeks before it. Sorry but it is, most of us are still been told to stay out of the office til the same date ffs.

First pub to open with any sort of supposed social distancing will be swamped.

Appreciate all the responses from ye guys. Cheers

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSTcHfERXVlynjihICEOv5DjAQIU_OC5UeBR6aZOJoEP5hhQ2__&usqp=CAU

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement