Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVI- 21,983 in ROI (1,339 deaths) 3,881 in NI (404 deaths)(05/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Yes the lockdown is working and good job done by all to reduce the numbers.

But even if we stay locked down for another few weeks/months there is going to be a spike when things open up again.

It all about how brave or cautious Dr Tony and NPHET are going to be when this happens.

Going on their current handling of things and the long drawn out opening up plan things don’t look good. We’re in danger of a yo yo open close situation.

This will be when these advisers need to be questioned and not just blindly follow their advice.

As mentioned on the radio earlier you’d swear we had one of the biggest outbreaks in the world with the cautious nature of things.

But isn't a more cautious approach going to reduce the risk of a yo yo open close situation?

Relax restrictions slightly, measure result, ensure disease is still under control before taking any further steps. At each stage, measure and ensure it is still under control and is likely to remain so before moving to the next stage.

I'd prefer to do it right and to it once than do a rush job and end up in and out of restrictions like Lannigan's Ball.

We don't want to follow Hokkaido and end back at square one, or worse, a month or two after lifting restrictions.
    https://time.com/5826918/hokkaido-coronavirus-lockdown/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Further nursing home deaths added in the UK. Deaths have now passed 30,000, higher than Italy

https://www.wlrn.org/post/ecuador-health-minister-horrifying-coronavirus-plague-better-contained-now#stream/0
    Ecuador's health minister believes the recent excess of 7000 deaths in Ecuador is attributable to COVID

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

We don't want to follow Hokkaido and end back at square one, or worse, a month or two after lifting restrictions.
    https://time.com/5826918/hokkaido-coronavirus-lockdown/?utm_source=pocket-newtab
    Dead right. There's a short-sighted nature to many of those pushing for relaxing of restrictions, and a certain amount of self-interest - "we need to open garden centres quickly".

It's all very well businesses being open, but if consumers are scared to go into them it doesn't matter if they are open or not - Germany has found this out as traffic in their retail outlets is less than 40% of normal.
    https://www.ft.com/content/10e9b3fd-8e36-4cae-b1c0-b08fcc4a3c11

If we phase this in, if people see that the virus is controlled, there will be more confidence that measures are working.

Update on the patient zero in Paris in December...

His wife worked in a fish market with Chinese colleagues. So could easily have been a once off transmission and not caught because of circulation of the virus in Europe

https://readsector.com/frenchman-43-reveals-he-is-the-patient-zero-who-had-coronavirus-last-december/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I was in a garden centre with my wife yesterday plenty of customers but SD being well observed. Good to see some businesses remaining open.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

wakka12 wrote: »
    Update on the patient zero in Paris in December...

His wife worked in a fish market with Chinese colleagues. So could easily have been a once off transmission and not caught because of circulation of the virus in Europe

https://readsector.com/frenchman-43-reveals-he-is-the-patient-zero-who-had-coronavirus-last-december/

He's not patient zero though

Patient zero to my understanding is the person he caught it from or the person who brought it into the country

It's like the first patient in Italy still called patient one they never found how he caught it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

ek motor wrote: »
    No open borders for a long time

I think that will be the same for most 1st world countries, every country will be responsible for cleaning up its own mess and if they manage to achieve some sort return to near normality then you would want to keep it like that.

Opening the border to people with no vested interest in the country would be madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd have to disagree.I am not doubting she has done well but their geographical position was a huge help especially when you consider that their nearest neighbour Australia did not have a big outbreak.Interestingly their death rate per head is much the same as NZ yet you rarely hear their PM get any fawning in the press for it it.
    It was easier for them to keep numbers down but their response was quicker and tougher than ours.
    I would be fairly sure that the virus was embedded in the population in most western European countries before most scientists/medics/politicians realised it.It became damage limitation then.There is no way she would have got us out of the mess..at best would have limited the damage.
    Yes limited the damage a lot more than the buffoons we have in charge of this country. Exactly that.
    I think Portugal of the Western European countries has done really well but I will wait unless we see excess mortality figures analyzed before grading our response.
    I think the Czech Republic is a clear example of a country that looked and learned from other countries and then acted upon that information.
    You are required to wear a facemask in public, their borders are shut, like New Zealand, and they are in great shape now. Austria too.
    We never shut our borders, no law about facemasks. Anybody with a bit of cop on following what has been going on was aware five weeks ago that the keys to lowering infections and deaths was lockdown, closed borders, facemasks and social distancing.
    Our government haven't improved things, just stuck with a poorly managed semi-lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I was in a garden centre with my wife yesterday plenty of customers but SD being well observed. Good to see some businesses remaining open.

Good to know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The examiner and the times covering this

The Department of Social Protection will continue to support workers until they go back to work, a government Minister has said.

However, Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection, Regina Doherty also warned that the current payments would not sustainable in the long term.

eagle eye wrote: »
    It was easier for them to keep numbers down but their response was quicker and tougher than ours.

Yes limited the damage a lot more than the buffoons we have in charge of this country. Exactly that.

I think the Czech Republic is a clear example of a country that looked and learned from other countries and then acted upon that information.
    You are required to wear a facemask in public, their borders are shut, like New Zealand, and they are in great shape now. Austria too.
    We never shut our borders, no law about facemasks. Anybody with a bit of cop on following what has been going on was aware five weeks ago that the keys to lowering infections and deaths was lockdown, closed borders, facemasks and social distancing.
    Our government haven't improved things, just stuck with a poorly managed semi-lockdown.

The primetime programme that had the two Irish experts deride the wearing of facemasks versus the experience of the Czech reaction and fall in the spread was something to raise an eyebrow.
    The Czech Republic is opening up alot sooner than us. Interestingly Czech citizens whilst they can't travel abroad neither can anyone travel into the country, were never restricted from travelling within the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

No need to use gloves when shopping or outdoors – HSE
    There is no need to use gloves when shopping or outdoors to protect against Covid-19, the Health Service Executive has advised.

Although the use of disposable and other types of gloves has become a common sight during the pandemic, the HSE is recommending against their use.

“We do not recommend using gloves while doing your shopping or when you are out and about,” says Prof Martin Cormican, HSE national lead for infection control.

“If there are bugs on your gloves those bugs often end up on your hands when you take the gloves off and from there they can very easily end up in your mouth, nose and eyes.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/no-need-to-use-gloves-when-shopping-or-outdoors-hse-1.4244689

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Is the distances of 5k as the crow flys or by road maps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Random sample

I’m going with the crow, as I did with the 2km https://2kmfromhome.com/za/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Crow flies.

https://2kmfromhome.com/5km/

Exactly. Well into 2021/22 players will still be testing positive. Football will have to continue, just like many other businesses.

In most peoples minds, football is a sport, not a business.

The dynamics of the game don't lend themselves to social distancing, unlike say golf or cycling.

You can't bring back on league without bringing back the game for others (recreational players and kids). This shouldn't be done for football until social distancing recommendations no longer apply.

If people spent as much time playing football, as they did watching it, the world would be a much better place.

Austria never closed their border - they significantly reduced the number of Border crossings so they could put in border controls, and did seal of Italian crossings for a time, however anyone entitled to enter Austria were not stopped from doing so if they presented at an open crossing or airport, and Passenger flights into and out of Austria never stopped. Much like here

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airports/vie/arrivals

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Wombatman wrote: »

The dynamics of the game don't lend themselves to social distancing, unlike say golf or cycling.
    The big leagues will have the money to test players, isolate them before a game, and play a game in an empty stadium. Whether the players will be happy to do this or not I don't know, but it's doable.

hmmm wrote: »
    The big leagues will have the money to test players, isolate them before a game, and play a game in an empty stadium. Whether the players will be happy to do this or not I don't know, but it's doable.

Isolate them for two weeks before each game?

If the big leagues come back, the lower leagues will have to come back to work out regulation\promotion.

Shouldn't happen. It's just a sport. Non-essential, particularly in that what you are talking about is mainly for spectating rather than participation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Wombatman wrote: »

You can't bring back on league without bringing back the game for others (recreational players and kids). This shouldn't be done for football until social distancing recommendations no longer apply.

If people spent as much time playing football, as they did watching it, the world would be a much better place.

Football is a sport. Premier League is a business.

Austria never closed their border - they significantly reduced the number of Border crossings so they could put in border controls, and did seal of Italian crossings for a time, however anyone entitled to enter Austria were not stopped from doing so if they presented at an open crossing or airport, and Passenger flights into and out of Austria never stopped. Much like here
    They made it law to wear facemasks.

Doctors in New York noticing trend of toxic shock syndrome among children with COVID. Just last week it was said that this trend which was first spotted in European cities had not been observed in any American hospitals so far.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/more-local-hospitals-report-children-with-possible-covid-19-health-consequences/2399514/

hmmm wrote: »

There is no chance of footballers getting tested, in order to get playing, when not all healthcare workers can. Many players have already expressed those views. It will be completely socially unacceptable.

Personally, despite the attempts by the PL to come up with plan (for which no one can blame them, given the financial implications), I see no way that football can resume. And next season will be behind closed doors I would have thought

They made it law to wear facemasks.

Interesting that Austria now have laws both requiring you to cover your face
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52143873
    and banning you from covering your face
    https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/travel-stay/entry-and-residence-in-austria/anti-face-covering-act/

Do you really need that explained to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

wakka12 wrote: »
    Doctors in New York noticing trend of toxic shock syndrome among children with COVID. Just last week it was said that this trend which was first spotted in European cities had not been observed in any American hospitals so far.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/more-local-hospitals-report-children-with-possible-covid-19-health-consequences/2399514/

We haven't a clue whats causing it but lets panic everyone by saying its the corona virus causing it, it will get us a few clicks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52143873
    and banning you from covering your face
    https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/travel-stay/entry-and-residence-in-austria/anti-face-covering-act/

Of course a burka and nijab are no different than a medical mask. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

There is no chance of footballers getting tested, in order to get playing, when not all healthcare workers can. Many players have already expressed those views. It will be completely socially unacceptable.

Personally, despite the attempts by the PL to come up with plan (for which no one can blame them, given the financial implications), I see no way that football can resume. And next season will be behind closed doors I would have thought

Its not a straight swap, a footballer getting tested wont stop a healthcare worker getting tested. I have seen this thrown around a bit, it makes no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

niallo27 wrote: »
    We haven't a clue whats causing it but lets panic everyone by saying its the corona virus causing it, it will get us a few clicks.

Would you rather they kept the information to themselves?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement