Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVI- 21,983 in ROI (1,339 deaths) 3,881 in NI (404 deaths)(05/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

niallo27 wrote: »
    We haven't a clue whats causing it but lets panic everyone by saying its the corona virus causing it, it will get us a few clicks.

The article nor the doctors said it was definitely linked to COVID. There has simply been a trend observed of higher levels of this very rare disease occurring in children with COVID. They just told parents to look out for it. Hardly scare mongering, its just something they have noticed

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

gabeeg wrote: »
    Would you rather they kept the information to themselves?

Yes, i would. Just like WHO last week saying there is no evidence of immunity and then backtracking the following week, articles like this cause panic or else they are completely ignored. Something factual appears then and people just associate it with all the other crap they heard.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Maybe people should improve their reading comprehension skills.

No evidence of immunity is NOT the same as no immunity.

Personally, I'd rather know.

Yes, i would. Just like WHO last week saying there is no evidence of immunity and then backtracking the following week, articles like this cause panic or else they are completely ignored. Something factual appears then and people just associate it with all the other crap they heard.

Is that not the problem of those panicky people then? Like if they cant deal with reality and actually assess the situation rationally? There was no evidence of immunity at the time, that was a fact,WHO simply pointed out as a precaution, there is evidence of a link between covid and toxic shock syndrome, thats a fact, theyre pointing it out so that parents of children would be aware what symptoms to look out for, as a precation. I dont see what these doctors/WHO are doing wrong by simply reporting these things, there was absolutely no subjective take on these issues by the reporting bodies in either example, simply stating a fact

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/majority-of-us-spy-agencies-believe-coronavirus-escaped-from-wuhan-lab

US intelligence now unanimously agreeing the virus escaped from a Wuhan lab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

splashuum wrote: »
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/majority-of-us-spy-agencies-believe-coronavirus-escaped-from-wuhan-lab

They'd be a fairly conservative news source in US. And it's one official stating it. Trump is applying a lot of political pressure on intelligence community for his narrative. I'd nearly be as skeptical of US as I am of China.

No doubt China does have questions to answer but this all seems like a play from Trump admin to distract from his woeful handling of crises, cutting CDC funding before now etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

And WHO saying the US has provided zero proof for the claim:

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/0505/1136469-who-wuhan-lab/

eagle eye wrote: »
    Do you really need that explained to you?
    Of course a burka and nijab are no different than a medical mask. Jesus.

What is actually wrong with you people. I was pointing out Austria has laws both requiring and banning face covering in a general commentary the contradictions that are an unintended consequence of all the changes that are a result of the current situation, and not making any commentary whatsoever on the usefulness or necessity or otherwise of facemasks.

But if you want to go down that route - requirement to wear facemasks in Austria came in on the 30th March - after new cases had already peaked there

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A shocking and disturbing story on figures emerging from the UK as new deaths added to total (relating to people dieing at home or in care homes)
    There were 32,375 deaths involving coronavirus by 24 April in the UK, lifting the country's death toll to the be one of the worst in Europe, according to new data from the Office for National Statistics.

Previously, the UK had reported 22,524 deaths as of 24 April, according to the University of Johns Hopkins. Crucially however, this figure only included hospital deaths and didn't count those in care homes or the community.

But the latest ONS figures released today count all registered deaths with coronavirus listed on the death certificate, and therefore mark the most reliable figure we have for the 17th week of 2020.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/05/ons-data-indicates-uk-past-peak-deaths-care-home-deaths-still/

Not "one of the worst" as the Torygraph puts it but the worst and that's only to the 24th of April.

They now have the worst outbreak in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Spy agencies think what their masters tell them to think.

I have a few questions for you splashuum.

How did you go from the "majority" in the article, to "unanimously"?

Do you know what the word "dissenting" means?

"The official also noted dissenting agencies remain open to the theory."

• Advertisement

UK seem to have managed better though going by the media at least. Most stories up until recently were so focused on how badly hit Italy and Spain were but UK was apparently experiencing a far high number of COVID deaths at the same time that was going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

And WHO saying the US has provided zero proof for the claim:

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/0505/1136469-who-wuhan-lab/

The US needs to cop on and stop pointing fingers at China. I'm not backing up China and supporting China here either. The US needs to deal with tasks at hand of helping people through this time instead of sh1t stirring with China.

A shocking and disturbing story on figures emerging from the UK as new deaths added to total (relating to people dieing at home or in care homes)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/05/ons-data-indicates-uk-past-peak-deaths-care-home-deaths-still/

Not "one of the worst" as the Torygraph puts it but the worst and that's only to the 24th of April.

That link to the "torygraph" really p*ss*d off my virus protection software.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

owlbethere wrote: »
    The US needs to cop on and stop pointing fingers at China. I'm not backing up China and supporting China here either. The US needs to deal with tasks at hand of helping people through this time instead of sh1t stirring with China.

Trumps reelection strategy, is to use the same strategy as last time, but to replace Mexico with TChinHA as the enemy.

The truth matters little in a post-truth society.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

owlbethere wrote: »

Logic will only return when Trump is out on his ear unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

And for all that their nightingale hospital in London has been mothballed with only 65 patients ever transferred to the 4000 bed facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

You constantly refer to panic - what exactly are you talking about?

You realise that if the world operated the way you just outlined, hardly anyone would know about covid and the death toll would be enormous.
    This is a brand new disease. Facts are hard to come by. Information like this is vital to get out there.

You may not like that, but that may be because you perceive panic to be occurring everywhere when it's not

What is actually wrong with you people. I was pointing out Austria has laws both requiring and banning face covering in a general commentary the contradictions that are an unintended consequence of all the changes that are a result of the current situation, and not making any commentary whatsoever on the usefulness or necessity or otherwise of facemasks.

But if you want to go down that route - requirement to wear facemasks in Austria came in on the 30th March - after new cases had already peaked there

I agree, I thought of Alanis Morisette, when I read your post. I think you fell foul of some variant of Poe's law there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Logic will only return when Trump is out on his ear unfortunately.

For the sake of the USA and maybe the world hopefully that will be sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Looks like the Russian strain Covid 19 is the propensity to throw oneself out of a high window if a doctor

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1257349192655278081

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

easypazz wrote: »
    And for all that their nightingale hospital in London has been mothballed with only 65 patients ever transferred to the 4000 bed facility.

How many of those care home deaths even made it to a hospital though?

The Daily Mail (I know) is reporting true deaths are believed to be closer to 45000

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I mean, it's pretty much universally acknowledged that China delayed information, suppressed people trying to circulate knowledge and delayed notifying the WHO while trying to cover up

For those reasons alone, I think sanctions against china are necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Phoenix park wasn't within my 2km but it is within my 5km. Is it possible to drive and park there at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

wakka12 wrote: »
    Is that not the problem of those panicky people then? Like if they cant deal with reality and actually assess the situation rationally? There was no evidence of immunity at the time, that was a fact,WHO simply pointed out as a precaution, there is evidence of a link between covid and toxic shock syndrome, thats a fact, theyre pointing it out so that parents of children would be aware what symptoms to look out for, as a precation. I dont see what these doctors/WHO are doing wrong by simply reporting these things, there was absolutely no subjective take on these issues by the reporting bodies in either example, simply stating a fact

If there was no issue then why did WHO retract their tweet and apologies for it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

easypazz wrote: »

How many of those care home deaths even made it to a hospital though?

The Daily Mail (I know) is reporting true deaths are believed to be closer to 45000

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I really don't understand this.
    Just cannot believe this is happening.
    I don't know who is more moronic, the Airline or the passengers.
    This was an Aer Lingus flight from Belfast to London on Monday.

112112143-whatsubject.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

owlbethere wrote:
    American politics is all about lies, misinformation and deflection. It's not just Trump, it's the Republicans and the Democrats. It's a very sad state of affairs. A leader like Cuomo us what's needed to clean it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Those people are all moronic. And inconsiderate

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Tommybojangles

I think it was confirmed somewhere that that aer lingus picture is from months ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

ELM327 wrote: »
    Those people are all moronic. And inconsiderate

Well unless you do, I don't know their individual, and potentially valid, reasons for travel.

In terms of distancing, that is a responsibility of Aer Lingus too, if you need to travel and it is a very full flight there isn't much you can personally do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement