Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVI- 21,983 in ROI (1,339 deaths) 3,881 in NI (404 deaths)(05/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

lalababa wrote:
    To all those doubters that c-19 was here earlier!!! On the news today: French patient dying in hospital from c-19 on December 27th. What 7-10 days after infection. .. December 17th?? Deceased was a fishmonger who's last travel was to Algeria in August 19.

Guess what, it might be a good idea to read through the thread before posting. You'll find if you do that this information has already been thoroughly discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Austria happy with easing of restrictions. This is what we want to see as well as we work through our phases.
    Austria says reopening shops has not accelerated coronavirus infections
    Austria’s first loosening of its coronavirus lockdown three weeks ago, in which thousands of shops reopened, has not led to a new spike in infections, though further vigilance is necessary, its health minister said on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Unusual story here of researcher in US supposedly close to making significant breakthrough on Cvodid19 killed in apparent murder suicide. It's likely pure coincidence but still.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/05/04/ross-township-apparent-murder-suicide/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭celt262

lalababa wrote: »
    To all those doubters that c-19 was here earlier!!! On the news today: French patient dying in hospital from c-19 on December 27th. What 7-10 days after infection. .. December 17th??
    Deceased was a fishmonger who's last travel was to Algeria in August 19.

Well i wouldn't believe anything you post anyway.

Can you not read the article you got that from and post what it says.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

US2 wrote: »
    I'm a sales rep for Diageo.

Didn't you say last week you were "frontline" staff in a factory?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

niallo27 wrote: »
    They go into hospitals every day with the constant threat of it, work with it all day but they wont get on a flight for 2 hours.

They are GPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

is_that_so wrote:
    Austria happy with easing of restrictions. This is what we want to see as well as we work through our phases.
    Yes, let's do what Austria did or the Czech Republic and move on from there.
    They are milesxl ahead of us by doing the right things.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

lalababa wrote: »
    To all those doubters that c-19 was here earlier!!! On the news today: French patient dying in hospital from c-19 on December 27th. What 7-10 days after infection. .. December 17th??
    Deceased was a fishmonger who's last travel was to Algeria in August 19.

He didn't die :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

US2 wrote: »
    Tell us the name of the pub that charged you 9.50 for a pint please ?

Unviield in 2018 didnt get to most places till last year. I'm a sales rep for Diageo.

I call Bull**** on your claim that you work for Diageo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

silverharp wrote: »
    Now would be a good time to do widescale studies on this and a lot of the mini-studies out of this pandemic. Getting enough Vitamin D is good thing , anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

eagle eye wrote: »
    Guess what, it might be a good idea to read through the thread before posting. You'll find if you do that this information has already been thoroughly discussed.

I'm afraid I'm only coming into the thread now after a short absence (which would mean hours of catching up on posts to see previous discussions).

I remember saying this either on this thread or the Ask Me Anything consultant thread - four people in work got a virus in Dec/Jan that had every hallmark of being COVID 19. Hacking cough, shortness of breath, diagnosed with viral pneumonia etc. All of them said that it was the weirdest illness they ever had, with the fever and the gasping for breath, and then feeling better, and then coming down with it again. Their GPs all mentioned that they had been seeing a lot of the same symptoms at the time.

Now I know there are ways of tracking a virus - i.e. the virus circulating at the moment can be traced back to one in the UK and previous to that, Italy, etc etc. But what if there had been a previous strain circulating that wasn't relating to the UK/Spain/Italy strains circulating in late Feb/March.

I realise I am neither a doctor or a scientist, and there will be people who are experts in this area that have repeatedly refuted that COVID 19 was circulating in Ireland in Dec/Jan. And I'm normally someone who defers to people who are actually qualified to give an answer to this. But yet, a niggling doubt remains.

What difference will it make? Well, if catching the virus provides you with some immunity, perhaps there is more immunity in the community than we think, which can only be a good thing. I'm not saying we should become complacent, after all cases in December in Italy and France haven't seemed to have helped them much.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

is_that_so wrote: »
    Now would be a good time to do widescale studies on this and a lot of the mini-studies out of this pandemic. Getting enough Vitamin D is good thing , anyway!

We are taking Vit C and D now for two weeks .It cannot harm and just might help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

silverharp wrote: »

Vitamin D deficiency can be caused by things like obesity, crohns disease etc

So I'm guessing that's why there's correlation. And unfortunately why taking vit D supplements won't do a damn thing to help you fight off covid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

owlbethere wrote: »
    That's unreal given the circumstances.

On a personal level for your own personal health and safety
    1) avoiding/minising crowds is crucial
    2) avoiding/minising travel

If it was me with a ticket, personally I wouldn't travel.

The airline also has a responsibility here considering governments have implemented social distancing guidelines to slow down the spread of this.

I will be interested in learning what the outcome of this packed flight will be in a few more weeks. Whether people get ill or not.

I agree. So much for people minimising the fact that flights were still operating here weeks ago. Looking at the photo I'm sure the following excuses that were trotted out then apply now.
    • they are british / English citizens being repatriated
    • how else are they supposed to get home?
    • there's nobody on those flights anyway

Funny how private industry operates in its interests even if it is clearly not in the interest of its employees or customers.
    Also Funny how government doesn't want to regulate as they now the airlines will hold them to ransom if they go under.

So we all live in in a state of disbelieve to aide with the cognitive dissonance of acting in everyones interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Well unless you do, I don't know their individual, and potentially valid, reasons for travel.

In terms of distancing, that is a responsibility of Aer Lingus too, if you need to travel and it is a very full flight there isn't much you can personally do.

What possible basis could there be?
    You'd be better off from a health perspective getting a ferry over than a plane.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yeah, €9.50. I think it was Café En Seine or one of those places.

I stopped drinking there years ago as their prices were just off the scale, but I don't think it was 9.50 per pint, it was closer to 7.50 to 8 euros per pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

gabeeg wrote: »

So I'm guessing that's why there's correlation. And unfortunately why taking vit D supplements won't do a damn thing to help you fight off covid.

Im sure it goes both ways , there would be plenty of conditions that force Vit D levels lower but loads of people are low because of lifestyle/choice.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

gabeeg wrote: »

Vitamin D deficiency is also very common in this part of the world without those illnesses. There has been some studies done showing correlation between low Vitamin D levels and people being up to 10x more likely to die from Covid 19. Supplementing looks to be useful and certainly no harm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Real Life wrote: »
    Vitamin D deficiency is also very common in this part of the world without those illnesses. There has been some studies done showing correlation between low Vitamin D levels and people being up to 10x more likely to die from Covid 19. Supplementing looks to be useful and certainly no harm

Absolutely no harm at all.

And I shouldn't be too discouraging on the off-chance it works :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Gonzo wrote: »
    I stopped drinking there years ago as their prices were just off the scale, but I don't think it was 9.50 per pint, it was closer to 7.50 to 8 euros per pint.

They used to make drinks more expensive as the night progressed as well, at one point.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

In the "old" days we would get through 2 of these threads in a week. This one's already survived for over 2 weeks....

....not for much longer though - XVII will be with us later today

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Beasty wrote: »
    In the "old" days we would get through 2 of these threads in a week. This one's already survived for over 2 weeks....

Can you tell us a little bit about the twist without ruining the ending?
    Like does Jon Snow join the Night's watch again?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Gonzo wrote: »
    Did you stay on after 11:30? They upped it by €2 after 11:30. I was really drunk at the time, but I am virtually certain they did.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can you tell us a little bit about the twist without ruining the ending?
    Like does Jon Snow join the Night's watch again?
    Already a hint there......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I agree. So much for people minimising the fact that flights were still operating here weeks ago. Looking at the photo I'm sure the following excuses that were trotted out then apply now.
    • they are british / English citizens being repatriated
    • how else are they supposed to get home?
    • there's nobody on those flights anyway

Funny how private industry operates in its interests even if it is clearly not in the interest of its employees or customers.
    Also Funny how government doesn't want to regulate as they now the airlines will hold them to ransom if they go under.

So we all live in in a state of disbelieve to aide with the cognitive dissonance of acting in everyones interests.

Seeing a full flight is just a receipe for disaster for this virus to spread more. Every one of them bears a responsibility, from those who continued with flight plans to those who ran the flight. Ultimately its up to the government to manage this. There's probably too many people who thinks this virus is like a little cold or like a winter vomiting bug that escaped from a hospital when it's so much more than that. I know the picture is of a flight from Belfast to London and its not up to our government but the same scenario could happen here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So the government laid out there plans Friday and the plan for pubs is being revised on Tuesday taking into account it was bank holiday that is an extremely quick change , even for this government,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

anybody who says the words "new normal" is a dope and an sniveling assh0le in equal measure.

The only reason it should be uttered is to mock those who make claims about a "new normal".

fcuk off

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Beasty wrote: »

What time is the press conference?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

paw patrol wrote: »
    anybody who says the words "new normal" is a dope and an sniveling assh0le in equal measure.

The only reason it should be uttered is to mock those who make claims about a "new normal".

fcuk off

Are you normally this angry or is this new?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement