Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVI- 21,983 in ROI (1,339 deaths) 3,881 in NI (404 deaths)(05/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

is_that_so wrote: »
    Growth in the community is close to zero. Any that still exists unfortunately is largely in nursing homes. CMO has not even hinted at special zones.
    With hundreds of cases per day?
    I find that dubious at best

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

gabeeg wrote: »
    No, he's completely and utterly wrong.

For one thing, China is no longer cheap.
    There will be a reflection on some key manufacturing areas, notably in medical supplies, in many countries, when this passes.

I came here to say this:

If we are in lockdown, how are people still getting infected?

They have to be in contact with someone with the disease. How is this currently happening?

Yesterday cases rose by 3.3% and deaths rose by 6.8%

But I've changed my mind almost immediately

That hopefully looks like (fingers crossed) we are starting to tentatively turn a corner

People are still shopping, going to the chemist, out for a walk in the park or down the town etc
    It's not a lockdown.
    A lockdown would be "no leaving the house" with a strict pass system for a once weekly shop and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

ELM327 wrote: »
    Absolutely they should.
    Their lateness to react and attempt to cover up has caused this mess.

We as a western economy should now take this as the lesson that it is, and move away from China as a source of cheap (junk) items.

I mean Ireland had about two months time to prepare AFTER the Chinese cover up was exposed and about two weeks after things exploded in Italy. Fact of the matter is, nothing happened. There even was an election while Covid-19 was raveging Asia and Covid wasn't even so much of a blip in the campaign of any party. If this thing blew up in December without the Chinese government covering it up, the same nothing would have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I came here to say this:

If we are in lockdown, how are people still getting infected?

They have to be in contact with someone with the disease. How is this currently happening?

Yesterday cases rose by 3.3% and deaths rose by 6.8%

But I've changed my mind almost immediately

That hopefully looks like (fingers crossed) we are starting to tentatively turn a corner

Main transmission is in nursing homes, clinical settings, and within households (people cooped up all day together; it's gonna spead). The situation in nursing homes seems poor (and will likely be treated as a scandal down the line), in clinical settings about as well as could be expected; besides that we're doing pretty well which is testament to the large majority of the public doing their bit (although you wouldn't know it listening to some of the bedwetters on this forum who are convinced it's rampant in supermarkets and public parks).

Well done Irish people!

Deaths will always lag infections so they will stay elevated for a while yet.

• Advertisement

With hundreds of cases per day?
    I find that dubious at best
    Philip Lane said that, the man with the model and the data. Numbers look worse now that they are testing more and bear in mind that 1000 new cases now is only a 6% increase. We also have no idea what this virus may do and if it is as immortal as some people imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Growth in the community is close to zero.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Spain reports lower deaths at 399 (from 410 yesterday), increased cases at 4,266.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

People are still shopping, going to the chemist, out for a walk in the park or down the town etc
    It's not a lockdown.
    A lockdown would be "no leaving the house" with a strict pass system for a once weekly shop and that's it.

And that wouldnt be realistic or fair on peoole.

A crazy suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

A crazy suggestion.
    Yeah all the countries in the world that have implemented this (and it worked) were not realistic, crazy and unfair on the people (I guess I could grant you the last part)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

People will need to drive where possible. Id suggest the gov covers all parking fees in the city centre for the multi stories. Effectively rent them for a period of time.

People to continue to worl remotely where possible also.

Its doable. It wont return to pre covid levels but it is a start.

We need to get things moving. The 5th of May was to long an extention to begin with.

That sounds so bad for the environment. Could cycling be encouraged rather than driving?

Car lanes could be changed to bike lanes to ensure social distancing.

Cycling would be good for peoples general health as well as being a more environmentally friendly and sustainable option

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Philip Lane said that, the man with the model and the data. Numbers look worse now that they are testing more and bear in mind that 1000 new cases now is only a 6% increase. We also have no idea what this virus may do and if it is as immortal as some people imagine.

510287.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Denmark and Poland are refusing to bail out companies registered in offshore tax havens
    "Companies seeking compensation after the extension of the schemes must pay the tax to which they are liable under international agreements and national rules.
    Companies based on tax havens in accordance with EU guidelines cannot receive compensation, insofar as it is possible to cut them off under EU law and any other international obligations."

Too f*ckin right!!!!!!

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-companies-tax-havens-banned-denmark-poland-bailout-2020-4?r=US&IR=T

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The latest country we have over taken on sheer numbers is Austria

Populations
    Austria 8.9m
    Ireland 4.9m

Density
    Austria 109perKm
    Ireland 72perKm

Cases
    Austria 14,795
    Ireland 15,251

Cases Per Million
    Austria 1642
    Ireland 3089

Tests Per Million
    Austria 20,313
    Ireland 18,358

Total Deaths
    Austria 470
    Ireland 610

Deaths Per Million
    Austria 52
    Ireland 124

Other factors:
    Austria have a border with Italy
    Ireland is an island on the edge of Europe
    Austria look like they peaked about 2 weeks ago.
    Ireland are looking like they have peaked a few days ago.

A crazy suggestion.

But it works.
    It's what we are supposed to have here (don't leave your house except for shopping). Just with teeth in the enforcement.

If we had that for 3 weeks straight and closed the borders except for freight we'd be past this crisis.

The latest country we have over taken on sheer numbers is Austria

Populations
    Austria 8.9m
    Ireland 4.9m

Density
    Austria 109perKm
    Ireland 72perKm

Cases
    Austria 14,795
    Ireland 15,251

Cases Per Million
    Austria 1642
    Ireland 3089

Tests Per Million
    Austria 20,313
    Ireland 18,358

Total Deaths
    Austria 470
    Ireland 610

Deaths Per Million
    Austria 52
    Ireland 124

Other factors:
    Austria have a border with Italy
    Ireland is an island on the edge of Europe
    Austria look like they peaked about 2 weeks ago.
    Ireland are looking like they have peaked a few days ago.

Given Austria's cover up of the outbreak in Ischl was one of the major contributors to the speed of the spread throughout Europe, I would not laud them too much. Also, do we know Austria are reporting nursing home deaths. And the other factor here is the type of people getting the disease - Austria have a very active population, even into old age. This may have resulted in the lower death rate

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Growth in the community is close to zero.

We aren't doing community testing, so of course it is.

iguana wrote: »

This makes no sense - if cases if rates of hospitalisation / ICU are not growing, community cases are not growing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Growth in the community is close to zero. Any that still exists unfortunately is largely in nursing homes. CMO has not even hinted at special zones.

But they still won’t ease restrictions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Gael23 wrote: »
    But they still won’t ease restrictions

Now why do you think the growth in the community is so low. Think this through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Clearly neither of you can read the "from now on" part of my post.

?

When I say thats the end of most phones including iPhones I was fully aware you said "from now on". If there is an immediate tariff on all Chinese manufactured products, iPhones are toast. If there is a concerted campaign to do this over a decade, the Chinese won't wait around and will boot iphone manufacturing and sales out of China. The former will kill iPhone production until it moves its factories elsewhere which could take years but definitely kill a year or sos production, and the latter on its own will reduce iphone sales significantly even if the first didn't happen.

China is also a major consumer country.

Whats missing here with most of the anti-Chinese rhetoric is anything that even resembles an understanding of the world economy and who produces what and where. I once created a post with some information on where components are created for the iPhone ( plurality in China, majority in Asia, one or two components in Europe, none in the US although some of the IP of the manufactured parts was in the US), but this thread doesnt engage in empiricism.

There's also an assumption that the west will be as one on this. it wont. Germany is ever more highly dependent on the Chinese consumer.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/aug/01/germanys-china-city-duisburg-became-xi-jinping-gateway-europe

It would be brave of the UK to start a trade war with China, and the EU. That said they seem to be heading that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

iguana wrote: »

We are doing those tests anyway, plenty of people I know have rocked up to croke park.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

D.Q wrote: »
    Now why do you think the growth in the community is so low. Think this through.

So do we live like this until if and when a vaccine is found?
    Life is too short

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Life is too short

Yup. And it will be even shorter for some because of this virus. Things changed, like. Bigly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

So do we live like this until if and when a vaccine is found?
    Life is too short
    It will be for many that catch the virus if we dont manage this properly. The country is full of obese people and others with underlining medical conditions that make them vulnerable.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/two-thirds-of-men-in-ireland-are-overweight-or-obese-report-finds-1.4089369

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

When is antibody testing starting here?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It will be for many that catch the virus if we dont manage this properly. The country is full of obese people and others with underlining medial conditions that make them vulnerable.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/two-thirds-of-men-in-ireland-are-overweight-or-obese-report-finds-1.4089369

It is a factor but for very obese people. Not really for overweight people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

When a vaccine does arrive here's one chappie who will not be a willing recipient

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/apr/19/novak-djokovic-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-tennis?

Novak Djokovic's anti-vaccination stance may stop his return to tennis
    “Personally I am opposed to vaccination and I wouldn’t want to be forced by someone to take a vaccine in order to be able to travel,” the world No 1 said in a live Facebook chat with several fellow Serbian athletes on Sunday. “But if it becomes compulsory, what will happen? I will have to make a decision.

“I have my own thoughts about the matter and whether those thoughts will change at some point, I don’t know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

This makes no sense - if cases if rates of hospitalisation / ICU are not growing, community cases are not growing

Because the vast, vast, vast majority of cases are too mild to need hospitalisation and everyone is avoiding the vulnerable as much as possible. I know way too many people who have had a respiratory illness in the last month but weren't tested to take our confirmed figures with anything other than a pinch of salt. I was in hospital last week where I was diagnosed with post-viral pleurisy in my right lung. The doctor treating me was very frustrated that there was no way to test me and said it's been very, very hard for them in A&E because they see a lot of people who should be/should have been tested and they don't qualify. I'm part of a cluster of people who all had fairly close contact before the schools closed and we all started displaying symptoms at the same time. None of us could be tested, meaning that none us became a confirmed case so none of us could be tested. We were almost certainly a cluster of community spread but we don't exist. Thankfully, I'd been avoiding vulnerable family members since February, so never infected anyone who was at high risk of needing hospital admission.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement