Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVI- 21,983 in ROI (1,339 deaths) 3,881 in NI (404 deaths)(05/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

iguana wrote:
    In Korea. They don't do that here. In fact there are huge signs up all over the hospital saying they don't do that.
    What do these signs say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

eddie73 wrote: »
    There is a furious amount of debate going on about the peak of this virus.

Which peak are you talking about?

As soon as restrictions are lifted, we are looking at another spike. And another lockdown. And another spike when that lockdown finishes. Ad infinitum....

There are countries that have a chance.

Iceland is one. Their rates are well down and they are looking like they could get to a stage of going back to work soon.
    But their population is small and also their population is very healthy.

They also have form in recent years of being economically self sufficient, they way they handled their banking crisis in 2008 stands out as being an example of their resourcefulness when their backs are to the wall. So if they closed their borders and worked as a self contained island economy for a year, they are capable of doing this.

Economic damage limitation is the name of the game.

I dont know if we are capable of going the same road as Iceland.
    They obviously locked down good and proper, got their curve flattened and are in a much easier situation to contain outbreaks in the future when they go back working.

We are not. Our social distancing policy has not been adhered to. Our cases are in the 10s of thousands and our new cases are in quite large daily numbers.

Our only hope is that we can control the numbers of infection rather than have surges in the figures. This is impossible if we reopen.

Look no further than Singapore.
    They had a really severe lockdown and softened the restrictions a couple of weeks ago. Suddenly their cases has gone from hundreds to over 8000. You could multiply that figure by 3 or 4 if you want to see the true numbers. I know they are a densely populated city with a lot of migrant traffic, but it still is a good yardstick to what lies ahead for us post lockdown.

Unless we somehow adhere to social distancing in the workplace.

Some good points in this post.
    I would question though closing the border. I think tourism in Iceland is quite heavy and brings a lot of money in the country.
    I am a bit surprised on how quickly things escalated in Singapore. Granted, living conditions are quite different than Europe, still though it makes you wonder. I am a bit reluctant to benchmark us against them. I'd rather we do so with a European country we have more common characteristics. I think how things will go for countries like Austria and Denmark will give us a better idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Ted Cruz thinks China needs to answer a question or two.

https://twitter.com/Kenpo_David/status/1252200182130892800?s=20

It does look like the US is preparing for another war, this time a world war.

bekker wrote: »
    Post-viral pleurisy.

OP had COVID-19 but didn't meet criteria for test, had OP been tested might have avoided developing post-viral pleurisy.

Treating doctor indicated OP presentation circumstances not uncommon.

What's not to understand?

I did not see that they had been diagnosed with Covid-19, only post viral pleurisy, which of course can occur after a vast range of viral infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

bekker wrote:
    OP had COVID-19 but didn't meet criteria for test, had OP been tested might have avoided developing post-viral pleurisy.
    How do they know when they weren't tested.
    bekker wrote:
    What's not to understand?
    Their exchange with an ED Dr who says he sees people that should be tested and can't.

If a patient has presented to ED and their Dr suspects Covid, they can and should be tested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Denmark and Poland are refusing to bail out companies registered in offshore tax havens

Too f*ckin right!!!!!!

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-companies-tax-havens-banned-denmark-poland-bailout-2020-4?r=US&IR=T

I wonder if the Irish government should do the same ?

Using Irish taxpayers money to bail out businesses belonging to so called 'tax exiles' (AKA Irish tax dodgers) seems ridiculous and grossly unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I wonder if the Irish government should do the same ?
    Using Irish taxpayers money to bail out businesses belonging to so called 'tax exiles' (AKA Irish tax dodgers) seems ridiculous and grossly unfair.
    If you bail out these then the word corrupt comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

FVP3 wrote: »
    It does look like the US is preparing for another war, this time a world war.

Im sure it doesnt , where did you get that hysterical take from?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

eagle eye wrote: »
    If you bail out these then the word corrupt comes to mind.

Indeed...This quote is so true...

"Companies that seek to dodge their obligations to broader society by cutting their tax bills shouldn't expect to get bailed out when things go wrong," Robert Palmer, executive director of Tax Justice UK, told Business Insider.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-companies-tax-havens-banned-denmark-poland-bailout-2020-4?r=US&IR=T

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Bsharp

OECD data on death by diseases of the respiratory system indicates why we could expect to have a high death rate per infected case, relative to other countries. Of 36 OECD countries, Ireland is third highest for deaths from respiratory illness. This can't be good when facing COVID-19. Data isn't great for post 2015, but this is how OECD countries rank for 2011-2015 - average deaths per 100,000 population

United Kingdom 107.01
    Turkey 105.03
    Ireland 100.64
    Mexico 95
    Portugal 91.87
    Denmark 90.73
    Japan 86.93
    Chile 84.74
    United States 84.16
    Greece 83.9
    Belgium 79.4
    Spain 76.25
    Korea 74.17
    Norway 73.08
    Hungary 69.49
    New Zealand 67.8
    Netherlands 67.08
    Canada 63.99
    Slovak Republic 63.23333333
    Czech Republic 61.12
    Australia 59.07
    Poland 58.73
    Israel 57.72
    Germany 56.54
    Luxembourg 55.52
    Iceland 54.62
    Slovenia 52.95
    Sweden 49.09
    Italy 47.78
    France 44.37
    Switzerland 42.7
    Austria 39.53
    Lithuania 37.39
    Estonia 31.88
    Latvia 29.82
    Finland 27.88

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

There is just such limited scientific research on this as it is a NOVEL virus. Novel means completely new! It is a pain in the hole that so many people are so blasè about something we know so damn little about yet.

But what most people on this thread have done, and continue to do, is to take worst-case-scenarios as being most-likely.

Even when this has led to blown forecasts they continue to do so.

Only in someone with a severe anxiety disorder does the mere fact of novelty and the unknown lead to fears of the worst things happening and for these fears to be treated as totally normal.

I logged on this morning and I still see predictions on this forum of 10 million deaths. Sorry but it isn't going to happen, simply based on the profile of the victims. We already know enough to rule out the worst scare-horror endgames of more excitable boardsies.

I suppose phantom mutation/second wave that was the worst-ever in history could produce tens of millions of deaths. Also you could die of a heart attack in the next five seconds.

Things starting to run-out and break-down due to economic collapse would be a more plausible apocalypse scenario at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

growleaves wrote:
    But what most people on this thread have done, and continue to do, is to take worst-case-scenarios as being most-likely.
    I think you are mistaking realism with negativity.
    The real situation is we need to stay locked down, we need to quarantine anybody coming in here and then things should improve.
    Anybody suggesting removing the lockdown now is crazy. We are not near that point yet.
    Yes we've got negative Nellies here and we've plenty of nutters saying we should remove the lockdown but for the most part we have people who are in it to save lives(their own family and others) and prevent the spread of infection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

You need to careful comparing to Singapore. A vast majority of their new cases are in dormitories occupied by migrant workers. The conditions in these are appalling at the best of times with as many as 10 to a room. Any kind of quarantine when you got sick was impossible. Once the virus got in there it was always going to cut through like wildfire.

The numbers there are high because of extensive testing there. A lot probably wouldn't even have been tested at all otherwise.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Has anyone looked at Yellow Fever?

This is a virus disease of the respiratory area and is endemic in tropical Africa, and S. America.

Many countries require a valid vaccination cert for visitors.

Perhaps that might become the way forward if there is a vaccine developed for Covid19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

BSharp:

On Ireland topping the respiratory death league table:

Often wondered if that’s is down to air quality. If you look at the PurpleAir.com monitors that people install, and which are being used for some research in UCC, the quality of air in many Irish towns and cities in winter is really, really bad in winter due to coal and other solid fuel smoke.

We continue to do very little about it and the comparison with peer countries it really is very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭Tippex

FVP3 wrote: »
    Indeed, instead ask your gp and get an appointment at croke park.

Did you miss the part where the poster aid they are in korea.
    A bit of a trip to get from Korea to Croker just to have a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

growleaves wrote: »

Only in someone with a severe anxiety disorder does the mere fact of novelty and the unknown lead to fears of the worst things happening and for these fears to be treated as totally normal.

I logged on this morning and I still see predictions on this forum of 10 million deaths. Sorry but it isn't going to happen, simply based on the profile of the victims. We already know enough to rule out the worst scare-horror endgames of more excitable boardsies.

I suppose phantom mutation/second wave that was the worst-ever in history could produce tens of millions of deaths. Also you could die of a heart attack in the next five seconds.

Things starting to run-out and break-down due to economic collapse would be a more plausible apocalypse scenario at this point.

I was very optimistic in January that it would be contained. Unfortunately despite my optimism it wasn't contained. I know there is great power in being optimistic. Doesn't work with pandemics. You can't will it away with your positive juju.

You can try. Let me know how you get on.

Try stoicism while capitalism is suspended. Might make you happier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoicism

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Ineedaname wrote: »
    You need to careful comparing to Singapore. A vast majority of their new cases are in dormitories occupied by migrant workers. The conditions in these are appalling at the best of times with as many as 10 to a room. Any kind of quarantine when you got sick was impossible. Once the virus got in there it was always going to cut through like wildfire.

The numbers there are high because of extensive testing there. A lot probably wouldn't even have been tested at all otherwise.

Testing there is lower than in Ireland

16,000 per million there, 18,000 per million in Ireland

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Xertz wrote: »
    BSharp:

On Ireland topping the respiratory death league table:

Often wondered if that’s is down to air quality. If you look at the PurpleAir.com monitors that people install, and which are being used for some research in UCC, the quality of air in many Irish towns and cities in winter is really, really bad in winter due to coal and other solid fuel smoke.

We continue to do very little about it and the comparison with peer countries it really is very bad.

I would have thought it was more down to Ireland having the largest % of cases of CF in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

We will probably be looking at something like the Uk plan......

TM-graphic-pg5-v2.jpg?w=620

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

wakka12 wrote: »
    Testing there is lower than in Ireland

16,000 per million there, 18,000 per million in Ireland

I'm aware of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I think you have got me mixed up with someone or you are projecting. I am not experiencing anxiety, in fact the past few weeks of glorious weather have really helped my gorgeous garden where I grow a lot of our own food and I have been too busy with that and working from home to have many other concerns. I have not referenced worse case scenarios, or millions of deaths, scare games, blown forecasts, or any of the other descriptive word plays you have used to try and frame what was a reasonable, rational, moderate take on present reality. So hop off now with your spinning.
    - written while lying relaxed on my couch, sorry not to be the knuckle gnawing hysteric you would like to infer.

Wombatman wrote: »

I'd imagine its kind of pointless opening schools before the summer here in anything but a token manner. As for sports venues opening for June....Will they ever learn

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Wombatman wrote: »

Aspirational nonsense.

1000+ deaths a day.

They ain't reopening shít in that time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I think you are mistaking realism with negativity.

I am not.

Mainstream modellers predicted e.g. 2.2 million deaths for the US and then revised that down to 60,000.

Boards commenters, on these threads, have consistently predicted tens of millions of deaths, given made-up mortality rates that approach the Black Death for severity, speculated about possible mutations which would dwarf the worst mutations in history, claimed that covid is a super-disease when it is obviously only a coronavirus (however severe) and ignored any new research which shows that covid might not be as bad as feared.

They continue to do this. Yet it isn't justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Ineedaname wrote: »

And Singapore aren't the only country having incoming flows of migrant workers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I am not.

Mainstream modellers predicted e.g. 2.2 million deaths for the US and then revised that down to 60,000.

Boards commenters, on these threads, have consistently predicted tens of millions of deaths, given made-up mortality rates that approach the Black Death for severity, speculated about possible mutations which would dwarf the worst mutations in history, claimed that covid is a super-disease when it is obviously only a coronavirus (however severe) and ignored any new research which shows that covid might not be as bad as feared.

Don't let facts get in way of your downplaying. Economies bounce back people don't.

https://twitter.com/yaneerbaryam/status/1252222389049610242?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Bsharp

New Home wrote: »
    I would have thought it was more down to Ireland having the largest % of cases of CF in Europe.

It could be a combination of multiple factors, both internal and external to Irish people. The environment (dampness in our climate), air quality, our disposition to CF and other respiratory illnesses may all play a part. All conjecture but it's reasonable to think we could more at risk of serious illness if contracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

On a positive note, the weather has been great and I've been able to sit outside doing my work, my tan is really coming on. I do not miss the constant jet trails clogging up the blue sky.
    On a negative note, I've put on some weight and another week or two of this and I'll have no work. .

• Advertisement

I am not.

Do you think the models might have changed due the restrictions put in place? Also, you realise the models are for the current wave?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement