Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Czech Republic vs ROI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So I hear masks are a good idea now, if only we thought of that sooner :rolleyes:

It really is a joke that more than 100 days into this the Irish government are still having a see-saw debate over masks, they've been waffling about it for more than three months now with still no definitive instruction. Whereas the Czechs just got on with it, put ads of the tv explaining how to make masks at home, how to wear them and how to wash them and that was it. Our jokers are still trying to make a decision by committee months and months later.

Even if they come out now and say everyone has to wear masks it will be roundly ignored anyway because the public have now heard months of debate saying that they do more harm than good and will choose to go with that rather than the hassle of wearing a mask

A point to be made is healthcare in Czech Republic is super accessible.

I had to go to the hospital here in Dublin recently. It first involved a GP visit, 65 euros to get my referral letter. The rest of my treatment was free admittedly.

A similar experience in Czech Republic around 2011 cost 6 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,412 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A point to be made is healthcare in Czech Republic is super accessible.

I had to go to the hospital here in Dublin recently. It first involved a GP visit, 65 euros to get my referral letter. The rest of my treatment was free admittedly.

A similar experience in Czech Republic around 2011 cost 6 euros.

And here if you were on a medical card you could attend the GP every week and pay zero, clogging up the entire system, joke of a country. Someone working with a modest income won't generally go to the €65 GP until they are near death, someone with a paper cut on the medical card will be at the completly free GP the next day, crooked kip we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

road_high wrote: »
    If the government want us to wear them they can send us out masks. I don’t know where to get them I’m assuming all the usual places would be sold out.
    Not a fan of masks, find them very uncomfortable outside of what is absolutely necessary

I find this attitude selfish and quite Irish.
    The Czechs are doing the right thing.
    I'm glad things are working out well for them. Lovely people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I doubt that Irish people wearing masks on buses would have made much difference to our death toll considering 62% of our deaths are from nursing home residents.

• Advertisement

I doubt that Irish people wearing masks on buses would have made much difference to our death toll considering 62% of our deaths are from nursing home residents.

But did the nurse traveling to the nursing home for work pick the virus up on the bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I don't think we did a great job but I'm not a big fan of these comparisons. We are a transit point to and from London, most of the US and a lot of Europe. Our passenger traffic per capita to Dublin is multiples of any other similarly sized country, not to mention sharing a border with another country which proceeded with a completely different strategy at the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

But did the nurse traveling to the nursing home for work pick the virus up on the bus?

More likely brought it back from Cheltenham or caught it from an elderly patient sent out from hospital to the nursing home with Covid.

And here if you were on a medical card you could attend the GP every week and pay zero, clogging up the entire system, joke of a country. Someone working with a modest income won't generally go to the €65 GP until they are near death, someone with a paper cut on the medical card will be at the completly free GP the next day, crooked kip we live in.

When i made that GP appointment the secretary said they weren't accepting new patients, her follow up question was "are you on a medical card?". Im not, and she said "ok ive got slots on Tuesday and Thursday".

I suspect, had i said yes, I'd have been told there are no appointments available, and rightly so. As you say, if I had a medical card i can go in practically every day for a paper cut, and I imagine a bit like when i had to file expenses, its 4+ weeks before the doctor actually gets paid.

More likely brought it back from Cheltenham or caught it from an elderly patient sent out from hospital to the nursing home with Covid.

Do you know a lot of nurses who go to Cheltenham?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

German research came out that masks lower transmission rate by 40%. Corona spread in nursing homes from outside. I'm not saying it was only due to masks but they would help especially on public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Possibly people still have difficulties getting their heads around that the mask isn't for protecting them, its for protecting others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

biko wrote: »
    Possibly people still have difficulties getting their heads around that the mask isn't for protecting them, its for protecting others.

Because they listen and read on the news all the time since this virus started..masks won't protect you.

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Because they listen and read on the news all the time since this virus started..masks won't protect you.

It's not all the time and you have to live under a rock not to know why masks are recommended. In my case it's pure I couldn't be bothered. That, comfort and vanity are main reason. Lack of information is convenient excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I've a question.
    If new cases are practically zero. what are we wearing masks for?
    If the virus doesn't exist anymore, what are we protecting ourselves or others from ?

meeeeh wrote: »
    It's not all the time and you have to live under a rock not to know why masks are recommended. In my case it's pure I couldn't be bothered. That, comfort and vanity are main reason. Lack of information is convenient excuse.

Well, I don't live under the rock, but look at the news. Since all that started, it was either big no to masks, or at the best very mixed messages from politicians and HSE. So it's very hard to turn that thinking now. I'm a big fan of masks since the start, always wearing one and always encouraging people around me at work to wear them too. Didn't find them uncomfortable at all, you just have to find the right ones for you. It's simple.

paw patrol wrote: »
    I've a question.
    If new cases are practically zero. what are we wearing masks for?
    If the virus doesn't exist anymore, what are we protecting ourselves or others from ?

Because no one knows what's gonna happen after lifting restrictions. Virus still exists, easing up restrictions could lead to new infections, so it's better be safe than sorry. It's about to keep virus suppressed as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

biko wrote: »

Primarily, yes. But there is also strong evidence to suggest that even a low grade face covering offers some protection to the wearer. A 3 material, fabric mask, 1with a tight fit, was shown to be highly effective in blocking transmission to the wearer.

Ideally, we all wear masks and protect each other via proxy, but people are generally self serving, if they think wearing a mask will directly protect them, they are more likely to wear them.

One guy posted link for petition to make masks mandatory on Masks Boards thread. So I'll share it here too, if anyone interested. Thanks and mask up

http://chng.it/fRR2dNvmYq

Because no one knows what's gonna happen after lifting restrictions. Virus still exists, easing up restrictions could lead to new infections, so it's better be safe than sorry. It's about to keep virus suppressed as much as possible.

I know what you are saying but if nobody has the virus , how can it exist

currently we have 837 active cases, with 28 serious cases ( I assumed that's people in ICU) out of 4.5million peoples. Actually I just read we've 4.9 million population..so 837 out of 5million.
    That's close enough to zero.

I'm genuinely curious because I suspect this is one of a litany of directives where they (the authorities) don't know what to do so they say to do something as it's probably better than nothing.

It just doesn't make sense to me. The only significant risk I can see is when we open the boarders and international travel kicks off

• Advertisement

I know what you are saying but if nobody has the virus , how can it exist

currently we have 837 active cases, with 28 serious cases ( I assumed that's people in ICU) out of 4.5million peoples.
    That's close enough to zero.

I'm genuinely curious because I suspect this is one of a litany of directives where they (the authorities) don't know what to do so they say to do something as it's probably better than nothing.

It just doesn't make sense to me. The only significant risk I can see is when we open the boarders and international travel kicks off

Understand, but don't forget about peeps who can be positive for Covid-19 without any symptoms, asymptomatic spread etc. Think there's too much they don't know yet, so any precautions we can take, while opening country up, are good. I don't wanna be locked up again.

Understand, but don't forget about peeps who can be positive for Covid-19 without any symptoms, asymptomatic spread etc. Think there's too much they don't know yet, so any precautions we can take, while opening country up, are good. I don't wanna be locked up again.

a fair point, but if asymptomatic punters were spreading it . we'd see more infected people by now.
    with the zero new clusters being reported at present.

I'm not blind to the virus but I do think it's been wildly over hyped and the restrictions implemented were too harsh and far too lengthy in time

a fair point, but if asymptomatic punters were spreading it . we'd see more infected people by now.

I'm not blind to the virus but I do think it's been wildly over hyped and the restrictions implemented were too harsh and far too lengthy in time

I guess we'll see in a few weeks. People started going back to work, back to shopping, more and more close contacts. The biggest problem is the virus is new, no effective treatment, no vaccine. I hope it will die off itself like other viruses did, but nothing is granted at this stage. Restrictions here are long, because slow reaction of government and HSE since the start. Well at least that's what I'm thinking. If they were more proactive at the start, maybe we would be nearly fully open now, maybe less deaths, maybe less infections. But as I say, that's just my opinion

Asymptomatic punters are spreading it. There is no if there, it was researched and proven and that's why masks are advised. Ireland managed to limit the spread of virus but it can be back and in crowded areas where contact tracing is not possible masks are helpful.

I guess we'll see in a few weeks. People started going back to work, back to shopping, more and more close contacts. The biggest problem is the virus is new, no effective treatment, no vaccine. I hope it will die off itself like other viruses did, but nothing is granted at this stage. Restrictions here are long, because slow reaction of government and HSE since the start. Well at least that's what I'm thinking. If they were more proactive at the start, maybe we would be nearly fully open now, maybe less deaths, maybe less infections. But as I say, that's just my opinion

I suspect delays in testing and contact tracing are huge part of the reason.

I suspect delays in testing and contact tracing are huge part of the reason.

That's for sure. Testing and tracing was pure joke, they had time to get ready, but unfortunately they didn't. I just hope, it's better at the moment, but wouldn't bet too much on it. Plus I can imagine with more companies back in business, some employers will cheat on safety procedures etc. So I would be really surprised if we keep number of infections on this low level.

Asymptomatic punters are spreading it. There is no if there, it was researched and proven and that's why masks are advised. Ireland managed to limit the spread of virus but it can be back and in crowded areas where contact tracing is not possible masks are helpful.

The WHO say this (from bbc.com)

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52977940
    Dr Maria Van Kerkhove said on Monday it was "very rare" for asymptomatic people to pass the disease on.

But she has now stressed this observation was based on a relatively small set of studies.

doesnt seem that as cut and dry as you say. Can you show me your researched and proven studies ?

The WHO say this (from bbc.com)

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52977940

doesnt seem that as cut and dry as you say. Can you show me your researched and proven studies ?
    Your article says that disease spreads most by people with symptoms but they can spread before they develop. The result is the same, you are spreading stuff when you don't know you have virus yet. I should say pre-symptomatic but the result is the same. In the article I posted a study is mentioned where it is assumed 40% of transmissions occur before people get sick.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/09/health/asymptomatic-presymptomatic-coronavirus-spread-explained-wellness/index.html

Just sharing the link for a good write up with timeline on Covid-19 crisis in Czech republic. You can compare it to situation here.

https://www.institutmontaigne.org/en/blog/europe-versus-coronavirus-czech-republic-masks-how-long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

The Czech Republic have been hit hard with cases and particularly deaths the last few weeks. They suppressed the virus so well the first time, so much so that you couldn't even call that a first wave. Now they are getting hit with it far worse than the other parts of Europe who suffered badly back in spring.

Does this highlight that lockdown doesn't work, and that Czech Republic is suffering now from lack of immunity built up earlier in the year?

Advertisement