Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bats out tonight.

• 19-04-2020 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Seems a bit early to see quite so many. Perhaps 3 or 4 Daubentons flying about 4 inches above the river near the house and the same number of Pipestrels overhead. Hope these warm(ish) nights hold up for them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I can't tell the difference between the breeds!!! I can just see them flitting around the lampposts close to the river in front of the house, but there's plenty of them. I'm in Dublin and I'm noticing a massive increase in insects probably due to cleaner air, increased gardening and less invasive cutting activity in the parklands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I can't tell the difference between the breeds!!! I can just see them flitting around the lampposts close to the river in front of the house, but there's plenty of them. I'm in Dublin and I'm noticing a massive increase in insects probably due to cleaner air, increased gardening and less invasive cutting activity in the parklands.

I know we have Daubentons because we used to have a proper bat survey done here in the summer.

Basically the Daubentons fly really low over water rise a bit turn then repeat and I don't think any other bat makes a habit of that . A Pipistrel will fly low but not make pass after pass at the same height inches above the water.

If they are flying around lamposts which may be attracting insects they are most likley Pipistrels.

The bat surveys were done with a ultrasonic bat detector and you can tune it so you can tell what particular species of bat its "hearing".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

They were out a couple of weeks ago around here (north east Dublin).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,726 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

In Dublin south city center and never seen a bat but by god the birds tweeting is deafening.
    But given the times maybe a good thing not to be seeing bats

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

fritzelly wrote: »
    But given the times maybe a good thing not to be seeing bats

Eh?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bats and covid 19, undoubtedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Been keeping an eye out in Drogheda near Oldbridge. Haven't seen any yet.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

bats and covid 19, undoubtedly.

Ah yeah, brain fart on my part there. :pac:

They seem to move around a good bit. On a really good night I could see 20 Pipistrels in one spot by the river the following night with exactly the same weather conditions I might not see one. Also they will roost in one of our sheds for a couple of nights then vanish and not come back for another month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I have 3 what I think are Pipistrelles in the attic.
    They must be venturing out as they are in different places each day.
    Going to read up on them tonight and maybe put a few bat boxes in the garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

last few weeks noticed a good 5/6 about of an evening in my back garden - same time as well around 8.30/8.45 Cork City Centre (South side) , was very surprised being so close to city centre but house is very near a school GAA pitch thast has some trees around it .. they fly pretty low as well so freaked me out a bit

Hope this pic works,
    Not a great one but only took a few to show the kids, don't like bothering them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Have three large beech trees out the back. Bats (not big) flying around it during summer looking for insects . Don’t venture too far away from the trees . Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭stevek93

Is this because the demand on takeaways have declined?

Our commonest bat is the Pipistrel and its the most likely one you'll see. We really only have a few species in Ireland so if they aren't Pipistrels its a major scientific discovery :D

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Our commonest bat is the Pipistrel and its the most likely one you'll see. We really only have a few species in Ireland so if they aren't Pipistrels its a major scientific discovery :D

There's 9 species here, 3 of which are pipistrelle (think they're by far the most common numbers wise as you say):
    • common pipistrelle (Pipistrellus pipistrellus)
    • soprano pipistrelle (Pipistrellus pygmaeus)
    • Nathusius’ pipistrelle (Pipistrellus nathusii)
    • Leisler’s bat (Nyctalus leisleri)
    • brown long-eared bat (Plecotus auritus)
    • Daubenton’s bat (Myotis daubentonii)
    • whiskered bat (Myotis mystacinus)
    • Natterer’s bat (Myotis nattereri)
    • lesser horseshoe bat (Rhinolophus hipposideros)

I could have sworn I read a couple of years ago on here we were actually up to 12 species but don't know what the other 3 are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

fritzelly wrote: »
    In Dublin south city center and never seen a bat

I see them regularly on the grand canal around dusk, seen them for about the last 3 weeks. They're really cute!

Incidently, I'm convinced I can hear them make a kind of high pitched zapping sound, anyone else think this? Have I special powers or am I deluding myself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

a148pro wrote: »
    I see them regularly on the grand canal around dusk, seen them for about the last 3 weeks. They're really cute!

Incidently, I'm convinced I can hear them make a kind of high pitched zapping sound, anyone else think this? Have I special powers or am I deluding myself?

I sometimes think I can hear something. I can hear that ultrasonic teen deterrent they sometimes use near shops, and occasionally the sonic rodent deterrents. Or it's just tinnitus from loud music...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

a148pro wrote: »

Yes, you're hearing the bats, but it's not the bat's echolocation. It's a lower frequency that they use to communicate with each other. It's still a frequency that's at the higher end of the spectrum that humans can hear, and most people cannot hear it. I, like you can hear it, as can my kids, but my wife and others I know cannot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

anacc wrote: »
    Yes, you're hearing the bats, but it's not the bat's echolocation. It's a lower frequency that they use to communicate with each other. It's still a frequency that's at the higher end of the spectrum that humans can hear, and most people cannot hear it. I, like you can hear it, as can my kids, but my wife and others I know cannot.

Ah. I thought I "was one with the bats" and had amazing hearing and could hear the sound the use for locating prey.

But It's just them wolf whistling at each other.

Excellent explanation. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I've seen a couple in my back garden over the last week. No idea how you can tell what type they are. I only ever see sillouhettes.

I've seen a couple in my back garden over the last week. No idea how you can tell what type they are. I only ever see sillouhettes.

I think they all have slightly different radar "sounds" so you can get an electronic device that helps give some indication of species https://www.batconservationireland.org/get-involved/bat-detectors-getting-using

In a roost (like one of our sheds) you can tell the species apart from the droppings. Size where the roost and where they feed also give an indication. The Daubentons I mentioned have a very obvious feeding pattern less than a foot above water so that one can be easy enough to identify.

Daubentons and Pipistrelles out again tonight but only a couple of each.

So small update,
    Was plumbing a shower in my attic this evening and managed to get a better pic of my Lodgers. I don't think they are pipistrelles :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Brown long-eared bats I think.

Alun wrote: »
    Brown long-eared bats I think.

Yea pretty sure that's what they are.
    Would they share a roost with pipistrelles?

Yea pretty sure that's what they are.
    Would they share a roost with pipistrelles?
    To be honest, I don't know, but I think it's unlikely.

BTW if that was my attic, I'd be looking at installing a small webcam or similar up there.

Alun wrote: »
    To be honest, I don't know, but I think it's unlikely.

BTW if that was my attic, I'd be looking at installing a small webcam or similar up there.

Though about a wildlife cam alright.
    We're not in the house at the min, but will be in a couple of weeks. From reading online, they seem harmless enough up there except from the droppings.

What you might consider, if you're not averse to them staying around, and I applaud you for that by the way, is installing some kind of enclosure in the attic around where they're entering. You can even get special "bat tiles" and "bat bricks" to install to allow you to stop up any other gaps in tiles or the eaves, but still allow them access to the enclosure.

See https://www.nhbs.com/4?q=&hPP=60&idx=titles&p=0&fR[shops.id][0]=4&fR[shops.id][1]=4&hFR[subjects_equipment.lvl1][0]=Bat%20Boxes%20%3E%20Integrated%20Bat%20Boxes

The droppings generally are quite dry and don't smell unless you have very large numbers of them roosting.

Yea I actually came across them tiles and stuff but the biggest problem I'm facing is finding their access. As it's an old rough, there is probably plenty of gaps for them.
    They have roosted at both ends of the house so it could be anywhere :/

• Advertisement
Advertisement