Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using a 3 SIM card in my

• 19-04-2020 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

So I've started working from home due to our office being closed. We live in a rural area with no broadband (we aren't far from it, but it hasn't been extended out this road yet).

However, using my Samsung Galaxy S7 and tethering, I managed to get by quite well for my first couple of weeks working from here. I'm using Vodafones pay as you go, 30e per month, 30GB data.

The speed is actually quite good, 20+ mbps. However, the tethered Wifi was a little unreliable and would sometimes drop the connection for no reason (checked all the settings, but it was random as hell). This was ok every now and again but a bit embarrassing if I was in a meeting with my team and was presenting and then either my speed dipped or the connection dropped. Usually it was easy to get in again buy anyway....

So I purchased a Huawei b593, popped my Vodafone SIM into it, and now the connection is rock solid all day and I get up to 28mbps. I'm very happy with this. I can even receive text message on the router that are sent to the number, so no issues changing it between my phone/router. Also, I'm assuming the previous connection issues were to do with tethering from the phone, and more an issue with the SGS7 than Vodafones network.
    I can quickly pop the SIM back into my phone after my days work is done and I don't need to spend more money for an extra "mobile broadband" deal from Vodafone.

The only issue is that 30gb is now disappearing quickly and I'm looking around at other deals if I'm going to be WFH longer term. The performance of Vodafone is fantastic in my area but I've also heard 3 is quite good.

The big question is; will the 3 SIM work in the b593?

From this page
    https://ask3.three.ie/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL/,/?Command=New,Kb=ROIWebportal,Ts=ROIWeb,T=CaseDoc,varset_CatID=9307,Case=obj(9308)
    "Putting your SIM into anything else that's not a phone, like a modem or tablet, isn't allowed on any of our Bill Pay or Prepay voice plans and we could suspend your service (while continuing to use that device) if it’s detected. "

Now, bearing in mind that when I asked a Vodafone helpline person if I could use my SIM in a Huawei router in the past they told me it wasn't possible and tried to sell me a separate mobile broadband deal.

Thing is, I don't want to have to pay for a separate deal; I want to be able to use the SIM in my router and phone. I also want to be able to order a 20e SIM and check what kind of speed I can get out here using my huawei router.

A lot of the 3 deals are cheaper and give unlimited data. Like 3 prepay 20. Or the billpay deals which are even better:https://www.three.ie/plans/sim-only/bill-pay/?utm_source=switcher.ie&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=sim-only
    If the speed is even 15 / 20mbps I'll be more than happy.

Anyone tried using the standard 3 prepay/billpay SIM in their router?

Sorry if this has already been asked; I've done a few scans but couldn't find this exact question.

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Have you looked at GoMo? If it has coverage in your area its only 12.99 per month & they allow tethering. Unlimited data & 60gig fair usage policy. Unlimited calls and texts too

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

You can. I've been doing it for years. They haven't blocked the sim or anything and that's with terabytes of data gone through it. I'm nearly sure I have the same WiFi modem as you have. Not sure on your area but I don't get anywhere near 15-20mb speeds with three. Usually 2-4mb. If you have a friend on three might be an idea to check the speeds with there sim. But if its crap speed you'll only be down the 20 euro anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Yep, I had a similar set up over in the UK. There's no issue in using a 3 Sim but as others have stated you won't know until you try the sim potentially how good or bad the signal is. The obvious advantage of unlimited data is that you can basically use it as your primary home broadband and not worry about binge watching something on Netflix.

The phone companies saying that it's not allowed is rubbish. They obviously want customers to have more than one contract in place. Your solution is fine as long as swapping the sim out from the router to your phone is not a pain each day.

Looking at GoMo their 'unlimited' option is capped at 80GB according to this:

https://goosed.ie/gomo-whats-the-catch/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Thanks so much for responses guys.

I've checked the GoMo thread here:https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058029423&page=9

Looks like there have been a lot of positive experiences.

The GoMo coverage map shows that I will have 3g and 4g in my area (I'm only 100 metres inside the 4g coverage area - I'm curious how accurate these things are down the the metre?).

The 3 coverage map shows that I have only 3G.

In any case, sounds like the best plan might be to order a 12.99 GoMo sim, try it out, check the data speed and call coverage. If it's really good then I'll change my main phone number over to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

So I received my GoMo SIM - that was quick!

I've tried using it in my router with the data.myeirmobile.ie.

Results aren't much better than my other halfs Tesco connection in 4G. 3G is a little better.

Here is my Ookla test results:
    Vodafone => 28mbps
    Tesco => between 1 and 2mbps
    GoMo (forced to 3g) => 4mbps
    GoMo (forced to 4g) => Between 1 and 2mbps, sometimes under 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 weeb

I've been using the €20 p/m 3 SIM plan for Wi-Fi for about two years now tethering in my old Android phone, works great.

Typically get over 20Mbs down, 8Mbs up. Best value for what's available here.

I used 1.3TB in one month just fine, 3 don't care how much you use.

Advertisement