Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Libraries

Options
  • 19-04-2020 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

The public libraries should be operating a click and collect service. They have user accounts, reservation lists premises etc..

It could be easy thing to organize reservation and pick up of books .. Or even freepost via anpost for duration for crisis.

At this stage many kids have very rudimentary school service, they have gone through all the books and in many cases no ipads or internet service.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

G-Man wrote: »
    The public libraries should be operating a click and collect service. They have user accounts, reservation lists premises etc..

It could be easy thing to organize reservation and pick up of books .. Or even freepost via anpost for duration for crisis.

At this stage many kids have very rudimentary school service, they have gone through all the books and in many cases no ipads or internet service.

I said in another thread, ones that have checkout machines could open up fully at what would seem to be minimal risk

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I watched an Arirang ( South Korean English TV ) show where they showed their libraries operating a click and drive through service. Book your books online and then just pick a time slot to pick them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭G-Man

The more I think about it, they could actually open up anyhow.. They are never heavily used and have lots of space. It could be like the stores... parents only or parent + 1 kid.

If it starts to get crowded, they can easily limit visitors, or offer appointement slots.

We have been blessed with good weather, but people in apartments or crowded domestic situations need a place to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Just use the app and get the digital version

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Any recommendations on the online catalogue? Some sort of fiction set in historical period type books but also non-fiction too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 trisha e

There is only limited access to Stillorgan library . The librarian selects 6 books for you in a category of your choice and give you a time when you can collect them .
    You must deposit your returns in a box outside so that they can quarantine them. To be honest I was uncomfortable with this as any passer by would have access to them before they were removed from my account.

Then I had to stand 2m ouside the exit while the librarian opened the dorr aand left the books ouside, I really felt like I had the plaque !! I found this really strange and would be reluctant to go through this rigmarole again. There are self serve check out in the library - surely they could operate like a supermarket and just let a number of people in at a time.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Just use the app and get the digital version

Thanks. Some of us like to read a book. And not all are digital either.

I can't understand why they actually turned off the existing reservations service rather than encouraging more use of it.

Now, its phone or email and only access to what's on the shelf or rely ln their pick of a genre for you - as it is it can be difficult to find a book you haven't read on the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 brighterspark

Can anyone explain what is so special about the libraries that they require 'a phased re-opening' within the Phase Two of plan. Not one library actually has begun to re-open only a very sad click and collect service - no chance of any unhealthy browsing happening anytime soon! I have searched and have yet to find any details on when they will actually open - if anyone has information I would love to know - thanks!

Advertisement