Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€1 on price of a pint could be the way out for pubs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They will need to drop €1 off the price to get people back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    What planet do these lads live on, People are out of pocket, lets give them less return on their money.
    €10 extra a meal & €1 extra a pint, How can he see sense.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/1-on-price-of-a-pint-could-be-the-way-out-for-pubs-central-bank-adviser-994899.html

Government job, probably 300k + benefits a year.
    He's good value with brainwaves like that, give him a raise I say!!
    Stick on a tourist tax to make up for less tourists while we're at it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

There will be less people in the premises (by choice of the people and potentially by law). Overheads will need to be paid in either case.

Raise prices or cease trading are likely hoods. If people what to drink or go out to eat let them cover the cost. Alternative is some tax payers funded scheme so subsidise costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

What about a window tax ? We haven't had one of those in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Pubs will have fewer customers. And the Friday and Saturday night rush will.be completely gone as customers will need to be able to keep their distance. So I don't know whether a pub could operate under those circumstances.

If you had to keep 2m from your mates, why bother going to the pub? I know I wouldn't.

Their business model has been shot to pieced. I presume they make most of their profit for the week in the Friday and Saturday night rich and most profit for the year in the December rush. So I wonder if they can stay open at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

How about we move pubs outside. They should be all doing up their outdoor spaces now ready for a summer under the stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They will need to drop €1 off the price to get people back.

Pubs will need to reduce foot fall. In rural pubs a euro/ pint is no issue While they may lose numbers they should manage to get enough business back to survive. Food may be a bit more of an issue in pubs. 10 euro extra would frighten a lot of people especially Sunday lunch brigade.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Ssssh they are flying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Mav11

Reducing footfall in pubs has been happening anyway, with pubs closing right, left and centre, long before the virus. People will need to be encouraged to go back to pubs and restaurants. Can't see this helping!!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

People will realise that drinking & eating at home means they save a fotune... When you get used to that, it will be hard to waste money like we did in the past again out of laziness or habits.

How many people will be good at cutting hair, or "good enough" to save 20 euros per cut?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I feel not closing off licenses was a real missed opportunity to lance the boil of alcoholism in Ireland.

Yes, some would have gone mad but still would have been worth it imo.

I'm not bothered either way on the pubs. Personally, I find everywhere much more pleasant at the moment, without drunks all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I guess the publicans will be ordering Fine Gael to get the minimum alcohol pricing 'health' legislation passed ASAP (and possibly with an increased price) if this comes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I feel not closing off licenses was a real missed opportunity to lance the boil of alcoholism in Ireland.

I'm not bothered either way on the pubs. Personally, I find everywhere much more pleasant at the moment, without drunks all over the place.

Hospitals would have been overrun with cases of the DT’s, it would make covid look like a bobo on a kids finger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

How did prohibition work for the yanks back in the day? Organised crime soared.

"I'm alright and therefore everyone else will be too"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Ah yes, the economic experts in the Central Bank who fiddled as the banks and property developers destroyed the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

...and supermarkets to stop selling alcohol too? There’d be actual riots and looting!

We don’t live in Riyadh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

D3V!L wrote: »
    What about a window tax ? We haven't had one of those in a while.

Not just on the number of windows!
    but on the Sq Mtrs of Glass! Those Glass box loving Dermot Bannon acolytes will be ruined!!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I guess the publicans will be ordering Fine Gael to get the minimum alcohol pricing 'health' legislation passed ASAP (and possibly with an increased price) if this comes in.

Zanu Fine Gael are owned by the bankers and AGS unions, Zanu FF by the farmers and publicans lobby.
    Both parties are utterly corrupt and now they are in coalition. Isnt it marvellous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Ah yes, the economic experts in the Central Bank who fiddled as the banks and property developers destroyed the economy.

Alan Aherne was one of the discenting voice about the boom from 2006-2008.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    Not just on the number of windows!
    but on the Sq Mtrs of Glass! Those Glass box loving Dermot Bannon acolytes will be ruined!!!! ;)

Their heating bills must be through the roof, a big glass box on a miserable sunless windswept rock on the North Atlantic.

The tax would on top would be the end of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

As a non drinker but with 3 friends who own pubs in Cork I think this initiave will put the final nail in the coffin for pubs

KungPao wrote: »
    Their heating bills must be through the roof, a big glass box on a miserable sunless windswept rock on the North Atlantic.

The tax would on top would be the end of them.

Agree,and as a painter who decorates a few pubs a year) friends prices) I depend as other's do on publican's and think about the employees delivery men,etc

Zanu Fine Gael are owned by the bankers and AGS unions, Zanu FF by the farmers and publicans lobby.
    Both parties are utterly corrupt and now they are in coalition. Isnt it marvellous.
    FF/ FG monopoly is a disgrace,bad for IRELAND,and wouldn't be tolerated in any other eu country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

jacking up prices

genius stuff

Is that the type of creativity the big bucks pays for?

Alan Aherne was one of the discenting voice about the boom from 2006-2008.

A ray of sunshine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Captcha wrote: »
    People will realise that drinking & eating at home means they save a fotune... When you get used to that, it will be hard to waste money like we did in the past again out of laziness or habits.

How many people will be good at cutting hair, or "good enough" to save 20 euros per cut?

That’s not really how economies function, money needs to circulate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

"I'm alright and therefore everyone else will be too"

We should get away from thinking alcoholism is something to be celebrated and an inevitable disease in Ireland.

This is not true, it's never been true.

It's a fault in our culture.

Everytime some important person visits for some reason they have to be photographed with a pint of Guinness. Our biggest tourist attraction is a private distillery. Everyone needs to visit a pub. Everything has to be associated with alcohol.

It does not need to be that way imo.

enricoh wrote: »
    Government job, probably 300k + benefits a year.
    He's good value with brainwaves like that, give him a raise I say!!
    Stick on a tourist tax to make up for less tourists while we're at it!

Do whatever they do in Romania and several other EU countries as the local wage differs greatly compared to the visiting tourists, different prices for tourists

• Advertisement

begbysback wrote: »
    That’s not really how economies function, money needs to circulate.

...........and people need to have the confidence to spend!

Mav11 wrote: »
    Reducing footfall in pubs has been happening anyway, with pubs closing right, left and centre, long before the virus. People will need to be encouraged to go back to pubs and restaurants. Can't see this helping!!

Why do we need to save pubs and restaurants? As you said, they were closing down before Covid, so maybe they were on the way out anyway. Maybe we could lose a quarter of the pubs and restaurants and the rest could be profitable.

People are more conscious of the food they eat and more people are interested in cooking and drinking at home because its so much cheaper. Young couple saving for a house or saving to start a family? Then you have no money for nonsense like restaurants.

If we need to invest government money in keeping businesses afloat, then backing a dying sector like pubs and restaurants is probably a poor decision.

_Brian wrote: »
    Hospitals would have been overrun with cases of the DT’s, it would make covid look like a bobo on a kids finger.

Yeah this is it. Functioning alcoholics would be in a bad position. I'm all for supporting alcoholics to give up drinking and I support spending more public money on services. But that isn't the way to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

We should definitely listen to the pr1ck that advised Brian Lenihan to put us on the hook for hundreds of billions of the banks private debt.

How did prohibition work for the yanks back in the day? Organised crime soared.

Prohibition back then worked exactly the same as prohibition on drugs is working in Ireland right now. The only difference is the gangsters don't wear bold pinstripe suits anymore. Prohibition creates the black market and gangs rush in to fight about it and secure it for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    What planet do these lads live on, People are out of pocket, lets give them less return on their money.
    €10 extra a meal & €1 extra a pint, How can he see sense.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/1-on-price-of-a-pint-could-be-the-way-out-for-pubs-central-bank-adviser-994899.html

Couldn't they just keep prices the same but have the government reduce duty on alcohol / give a rebate so that the publican still gets an extra €1 in their pocket.

• Advertisement

Why do we need to save pubs and restaurants? As you said, they were closing down before Covid, so maybe they were on the way out anyway. Maybe we could lose a quarter of the pubs and restaurants and the rest could be profitable.

People are more conscious of the food they eat and more people are interested in cooking and drinking at home because its so much cheaper. Young couple saving for a house or saving to start a family? Then you have no money for nonsense like restaurants.

If we need to invest government money in keeping businesses afloat, then backing a dying sector like pubs and restaurants is probably a poor decision.

We don't need to save them, pubs need to save themselves. Pubs are increasingly becoming less relevant to Irish society for a number of reasons, mores the pity! Jacking up already extortionate prices, will not help with increasing popularity, or societal relevance.

I’d say pub owners must be sick. Just getting back to the jammed pubs on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday we last saw in 2008 (in Dublin CC anyway) where 20 and 30 somethings thought nothing of paying €9 for a G&T. Then another and another.

Money rolling in, the good times are back baby, then bang! Closed and probably out of business for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

Why do we need to save pubs and restaurants?q

I thought the government were doing their best to kill the sector! They put back up the hospitality tax last year by a whopping 5%, they still have committees etc doing reports on our crazy compo payouts that are hammering hospitality. Keep putting up minimum wage etc.

Maybe everyone can just become a computer programmer on 100k instead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If those are both ZANU, which one will be ZAPU? Joshua Nkomo deserves to be remembered.

Mav11 wrote: »
    We don't need to save them, pubs need to save themselves. Pubs are increasingly becoming less relevant to Irish society for a number of reasons, mores the pity! Jacking up already extortionate prices, will not help with increasing popularity, or societal relevance.

I'd agree with that. The urban pubs can just prune themselves and let the profitable ones survive. But rural pubs are a bit different. They are often one of the social pillars of a small community alongside GAA, Mass, ICA. As young people increasingly move towards urban areas for work, the rural pubs are in danger and the community is in danger of losing a big social focal point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Pubs will have fewer customers. And the Friday and Saturday night rush will.be completely gone as customers will need to be able to keep their distance. So I don't know whether a pub could operate under those circumstances.

If you had to keep 2m from your mates, why bother going to the pub? I know I wouldn't.

Their business model has been shot to pieced. I presume they make most of their profit for the week in the Friday and Saturday night rich and most profit for the year in the December rush. So I wonder if they can stay open at all.

pubs will reopen and they'll be like before.
    the idea that society will change due to covid19 is an odd one.
    we spent centuries evolving to this point culturally, illness have come and gone and we've continued.
    Changes will evolve over time but over this.

I'd agree with that. The urban pubs can just prune themselves and let the profitable ones survive. But rural pubs are a bit different. They are often one of the social pillars of a small community alongside GAA, Mass, ICA. As young people increasingly move towards urban areas for work, the rural pubs are in danger and the community is in danger of losing a big social focal point.

Agreed, its the rural pubs that my comment "mores the pity" above, was aimed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Pubs are in big trouble until we have a vaccine. Social distancing is a challenge at the best of times, but try imposing it on people with a few jars on board, its simply not going to work. Mind you this also applies to restaurants, cinemas and any business that is deemed non essential that would see numbers congregating .. oh it will apply to churches too.

enricoh wrote: »
    I thought the government were doing their best to kill the sector! They put back up the hospitality tax last year by a whopping 5%, they still have committees etc doing reports on our crazy compo payouts that are hammering hospitality. Keep putting up minimum wage etc.

The VAT rate is still a handout compared to other businesses. It was reduced to help out the sector during the recession. It wasn't meant to be a permanent handout. Pubs in the north are still on 20% VAT.

In any case, pubs aren't essential. People vote with their feet and footfall was dropping before Covid. I'd expect it to continue to drop after Covid. So be it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

We should get away from thinking alcoholism is something to be celebrated and an inevitable disease in Ireland.

This is not true, it's never been true.

It's a fault in our culture.

Everytime some important person visits for some reason they have to be photographed with a pint of Guinness. Our biggest tourist attraction is a private distillery. Everyone needs to visit a pub. Everything has to be associated with alcohol.

It does not need to be that way imo.

All you are doing is pointing a finger at someone doing something you dont agree with and asking they be prevented from doing it.

I think the perception of our "drink culture" is over inflated.

I also think more needs to be done to support people who are actually problem drinkers, along with any other vice. But sure, just go ahead and keep on pointing the finger.

paw patrol wrote: »
    pubs will reopen and they'll be like before.
    the idea that society will change due to covid19 is an odd one.
    we spent centuries evolving to this point culturally, illness have come and gone and we've continued.
    Changes will evolve over time but over this.

Society changes all the time. When you put the timescale over centuries , then it becomes clear that things can change in the short term - which can last years or decades.

Of course things will change after Covid. Unless we get a vaccine, lots of things will change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

I think the Irish pub as we knew it is now a thing of the past.

Probably only way back is the European model , seated with waiter service .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Head to Central or Eastern Europe and the majority of those sitting in pubs are either local alcoholics or boozed up brits and Irish on tour.

We could easily do what the Germans, Italians etc do, go to restaurants and stay till all hours eating and boozing if we wished. No queuing at bars on top of each other or rammed to the hilt rowdy nonsense.

Even more worrying is the large ques outside off licences now, people can't live without booze.

Those that find themselves heading out specifically for booze now really need to sort their lives out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Why is kermit making out like all Irish are alcoholics. ****ing hell like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I think a lot of people have got used to drinking at home. Id say there'll be many not returning to the pub. Pubs absolutely will return, and as a former devout weekly attendee I can't wait until they do, but if the price of a pint were to go up a quid I'd quicker have cans at home till 10 , pop down for 2-3 pints and head home for a few more than my current in at 8pm out at closing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement