Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prefab homes

Options
  • 20-04-2020 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi

Thank you for your time. I was wondering if it was possible to buy an insulated 2bedroom prefab home for 35 k.? My mortgage is on hold because of covid 19.

I do not own a plot either, but am willing to buy one. I will build at a later date but currently I need a place for my young family to stay.

Kind regards, S

Ps. If I am not clear on anything, which I'm probably not. Please do not hesitate to ask anything. Thank you again for your time.

Pss. I got a quote from big red barn. 50k for a turn key home. But if I payed that I would no longer have fund for, electricity, a well or septic tank. Unless there was a plot of land for 20k

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Possible to buy? Yes.

Possible to legally erect and live in? Extremely doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You might get a 1 room garden shed for that price, you won't get a 3 bed house that meets building regulations.

I know a couple who bought a number of prefab buildings in the UK. They had been used for offices, so insulated, wired etc.
    They brought them to Ireland & made a house out if them on a site. Planning was given.
    I think the prefabs & the delivery cost 20 something thousand. Obviously they spent a bit more, fitting it out etc. But it was very cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 7 McNelly

Del2005 wrote: »
    You might get a 1 room garden shed for that price, you won't get a 3 bed house that meets building regulations.

Sorry I meant 2 bed. Thanks for your help

bubblypop wrote: »
    I know a couple who bought a number of prefab buildings in the UK. They had been used for offices, so insulated, wired etc.
    They brought them to Ireland & made a house out if them on a site. Planning was given.
    I think the prefabs & the delivery cost 20 something thousand. Obviously they spent a bit more, fitting it out etc. But it was very cheap
    I seen a house in Tyrone, second hand for that price. Also considering we are on the verge of recession hopefully prices came down. Do you know anything about how they got planning permission and which county they are in?

Thank you, S

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Possible to buy? Yes.

Possible to legally erect and live in? Extremely doubtful.
    Definately Not?
    What is your experience in this area.

Thank you, S

• Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Trailer park living is not acceptable in Ireland. These constructions do not comply with building regulations

Planning permission will only be granted for a mobile home type construction if it is applied for at the same time as a house... And in this case permission will only be given for a short length of time that's needed to build the house, so let's say two years max.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

McNelly wrote: »
    Definately Not?
    What is your experience in this area.

Thank you, S

Deffo not.
    Can’t meet building regs.

Examples above are from UK, not IRL.
    Office spec do t meet residential spec so I’m still
    Doubtful if the UK ones actually complied.

The figures you quote in the OP are garden rooms, sheds etc

Also, if your mortgage is on hold
    Because of C19, the planning process to erect one of these structures will take 4 months anyway so we will be out the other side of C19 by then (relatively speaking).

You gain nothing.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Trailer park living is not acceptable in Ireland. These constructions do not comply with building regulations

Planning permission will only be granted for a mobile home type construction if it is applied for at the same time as a house... And in this case permission will only be given for a short length of time that's needed to build the house, so let's say two years max.

Who said trailer park living?

Gumbo wrote: »
    Deffo not.
    Can’t meet building regs.

Examples above are from UK, not IRL.
    Office spec do t meet residential spec so I’m still
    Doubtful if the UK ones actually complied.

The figures you quote in the OP are garden rooms, sheds etc

Also, if your mortgage is on hold
    Because of C19, the planning process to erect one of these structures will take 4 months anyway so we will be out the other side of C19 by then (relatively speaking).

You gain nothing.

Sure about the 4 months?

• Advertisement

I seen a house in Tyrone, second hand for that price. Also considering we are on the verge of recession hopefully prices came down. Do you know anything about how they got planning permission and which county they are in?

Thank you, S

Don't know how they went about their planning but it was in Co. Cavan

Sure about the 4 months?

Yes. What makes you think its any different for you?

Gumbo wrote: »
    Yes. What makes you think its any different for you?

When did I say it was different for me?

When did I say it was different for me?

It would appear to be implied based on the question “sure about the 4 months”.

Mute point anyway, as it’s longer than 4 months now due to the C19 temporary regulations :).

Advertisement