Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm install course

Options
  • 20-04-2020 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi I’m posting because I’m interested in a career in alarm installation I see hi tech training have a course on in may what I like to know is am I legally qualified after completion of this course??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Kingeric1 wrote: »
    Hi I’m posting because I’m interested in a career in alarm installation I see hi tech training have a course on in may what I like to know is am I legally qualified after completion of this course??

You dont need to be qualified at all. If you paid your money to the PSA you can work away at it. In all fairness they are trying to get lads qualified and im one of them but at the moment there is nothing stopping you from installing alarms bar the risk of being caught by the PSA.

That alarm course by HI Tech...dont bother.
    Apply to security companies and see how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Kingeric1

alta stare wrote: »
    You dont need to be qualified at all. If you paid your money to the PSA you can work away at it. In all fairness they are trying to get lads qualified and im one of them but at the moment there is nothing stopping you from installing alarms bar the risk of being caught by the PSA.

Thanks for reply mate finding it hard to get specifics on this. I was thinking if I completed course company take me on quicker also finding it hard to know wat average salary is for installer

Thanks for reply mate finding it hard to get specifics on this. I was thinking if I completed course company take me on quicker also finding it hard to know wat average salary is for installer

Personally id just apply with your cv and cover letter explaining how you are really keen to work in the security industry.

The pay depends on your employer and your experience. There is no set wage nor will there be for a long time yet. I have been back and forth with the union and fas about this but unfortunately the numbers just aren't there yet for them to even take notice. A pain in the ass but im sure the more lads which get qualified the better as thats when as a group some pressure can be brought at the unions to push for better pay.

I bet most of the sparks working in the security industry get no where near what they would out sparking. I know that from lads in our company and a couple of others around my area.

Its a great industry to be in but the pay is average.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

Did that course before I started out in the industry many moons ago.
    Surprised its still going, even got me hook line and sinker for the digital communication course on the Saturday :D

Id second the recommendation re getting in with an installation company, hands on learning is always going to stand you in good stead.

How is the industry at the moment?

• Advertisement

How is the industry at the moment?

Busy. Loads of work out there. Obviously it has been halted somewhat with covid19 but other than that things are busy. I would say though the mark up for domestic alarms is not what it used to be so id be realistic about your aspirations regarding alarm installation.

I find where i work we are flat out with access control, cctv, fire and gate automation. The intruder stuff is tipping away but no where near as busy as the others.

Personally i enjoy doing access, cctv and gate automation. They are quite interesting.

altor wrote: »
    Did that course before I started out in the industry many moons ago.
    Surprised its still going, even got me hook line and sinker for the digital communication course on the Saturday :D

Id second the recommendation re getting in with an installation company, hands on learning is always going to stand you in good stead.

Iv never done it myself but i have heard of lads who have done it and they said there wasnt much in it and it wasnt worth it. How did you find it?

Yeah hands on learning is the way to go. It also helps if you have a good work mate to give you the basics of what the alarm/tamper circuit is actually doing in an alarm condition.

Now given everything is going wireless RF is the new thing to learn. We covered the basics in college and boy is there alot in it :D

Thanks for reply’s lads I’ve an electrical background but have not done anything in 9 years that side I’m interested in all aspects of alarms Cctv access control was thinking if I done course a refresher also the qualifications won’t hurt when looking for work??

Thanks for reply’s lads I’ve an electrical background but have not done anything in 9 years that side I’m interested in all aspects of alarms Cctv access control was thinking if I done course a refresher also the qualifications won’t hurt when looking for work??

Ah if you have an electrical background you are on the pigs back.

There is no qualifications with the Hi Tech course it is merely a cert. The only qualification for this trade is the completion of the ESS apprenticeship and to be honest what that means im not so sure at this point in time and i say that as i am coming to the end of my time so i am almost qualified in the ESS trade. I went back at started it at the tender age of 35.

And how long training did that take you?

• Advertisement

How long that take you ???
    Ah if you have an electrical background you are on the pigs back.

There is no qualifications with the Hi Tech course it is merely a cert. The only qualification for this trade is the completion of the ESS apprenticeship and to be honest what that means im not so sure at this point in time and i say that as i am coming to the end of my time so i am almost qualified in the ESS trade. I went back at started it at the tender age of 35.

Iv never done it myself but i have heard of lads who have done it and they said there wasnt much in it and it wasnt worth it. How did you find it?

Yeah hands on learning is the way to go. It also helps if you have a good work mate to give you the basics of what the alarm/tamper circuit is actually doing in an alarm condition.

Now given everything is going wireless RF is the new thing to learn. We covered the basics in college and boy is there alot in it :D

It was basic but good to have some understanding of wiring and control panel setting up when i did it :D

I ended up getting a job straight after it and was with a lad for 4 weeks before I was installing on my own, ended up installing the P.W. systems for the same company a year later.

The apprenticeship would be the best route to take now.

And how long training did that take you?

Its the same time frame as an electrician but because the numbers doing it are low enough the time waiting to be called is quick enough relative to other trades. Like i would of been due to get my papers in November this year but due to covid19 it will be early next year id say so it will end up the four years. I started my time February 2017.

altor wrote: »
    It was basic but good to have some understanding of wiring and control panel setting up when i did it :D

I ended up getting a job straight after it and was with a lad for 4 weeks before I was installing on my own, ended up installing the P.W. systems for the same company a year later.

The apprenticeship would be the best route to take now.

Happy days its always nice when things work out like that. I got into it via college. I did work placement and 2 months after i finished the placement i got a call from the company asking if id be interested in working for them. After starting with them they asked if be interested in the apprenticeship so after some thought i decided i would do it.

The apprenticeship is good but some of the stuff in the IT's is so outdated. Also there is next to no covering of IP systems. The whole thing needs a shake up to make it more relevant to modern standards. I found alot of the theory interesting alright so i guess it has its good points.

Happy days its always nice when things work out like that. I got into it via college. I did work placement and 2 months after i finished the placement i got a call from the company asking if id be interested in working for them. After starting with them they asked if be interested in the apprenticeship so after some thought i decided i would do it.

The apprenticeship is good but some of the stuff in the IT's is so outdated. Also there is next to no covering of IP systems. The whole thing needs a shake up to make it more relevant to modern standards. I found alot of the theory interesting alright so i guess it has its good points.

I was lucky, but its a industry dying due to the systems the bigger companies are installing killing the market IMO. Most look at final price as compared to what they are actually getting installed.
    You know as well as I do these systems are the basic of the basic.

It does need a big shake up to catch up with evolving technology.
    Theory is great but you will never come across the problems you encounter in daily life in most of it. Hands on working with installers is the best way to learn.

Advertisement