Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can old PSU power new parts?

Options
  • 20-04-2020 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have ordered new PC parts to upgrade my PC, but it is essentially a new build apart from storage, case and psu.

OLD:
    CPU: i5-4690k
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 2018
    Motherboard: MSI z97 Gaming 3
    Memory: 12GB DDR3
    Video Card: MSI GTX 970
    Case: Corsair SPEC-04
    Power Supply: Be Quiet! System Power 7 700w
    Storage

NEW:
    CPU: Ryzen 3600
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 2018
    Motherboard: ASUS x570-PRO
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz 16GB DDR4
    Video Card: PNY 2070 Super XLR8
    Case: Corsair SPEC-04
    Power Supply: Be Quiet! System Power 7 700w
    Storage

Question is, will the power supply be adequate for the new build considering degradation, if any? Not really planning on overclocking either apart from factory overclock. I know if I bought a new 700w now, it will be suitable, with miles of overhead. Just want to know if people can advise regarding the degradation of the psu. Thanks!

Comments

You should be fine as Bequiet are a reputable brand. How old is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

You should be fine as Bequiet are a reputable brand. How old is it?

I'm not actually sure. I can't find any of my receipts. Just as an idea though, I ordered it through HWVS Germany back when they were still open. So it would be at least 4 years since they closed down, but would've bought the whole PC maybe more like around 5 or 6 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Be quiet only rate those PSUs for ~3 years so might as well replace it.

You'd be fine with a 500-550W unit tbh
    e.g. Antec Neo Zen Gold: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/500w-antec-neoeco-zen-fully-wired-80plus-gold-sli-crossfire-single-rail-42a-120mm-silent-fan-atx-psu
    Be Quiet Pure Power 11: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/500w-be-quiet!-pure-power-11-80-plus-gold-sli-crossfire-dual-rail-40a-120mm-fan-atx-psu

Those are Gold-rated units with 5-year warranties.

If it's only 3 years warranty then i'd swap it out so. Most new makes have at least a 10 year one.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Be quiet only rate those PSUs for ~3 years so might as well replace it.

You'd be fine with a 500-550W unit tbh
    e.g. Antec Neo Zen Gold: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/500w-antec-neoeco-zen-fully-wired-80plus-gold-sli-crossfire-single-rail-42a-120mm-silent-fan-atx-psu
    Be Quiet Pure Power 11: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/500w-be-quiet!-pure-power-11-80-plus-gold-sli-crossfire-dual-rail-40a-120mm-fan-atx-psu

Those are Gold-rated units with 5-year warranties.

I have:

2 NVME SSDs
    1 2.5inch SSD
    2 2.5inch HDDs
    1 3.5inch HDD.

Would you say that those power supplies are sufficient with enough headroom for the psu to not be stressing itself?

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Edit: I usually prefer ordering from Amazon. Can't seem to find those PSUs there. Would there be a problem with ordering a gold rated corsair? They seem to be the more available brand in Amazon. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Cordell

There's absolutely no good reason to replace a quality PSU after just 3 years, but take this as my own personal opinion and as something that I would do.
    On the other hand, sell it and get a new one, it's not that much, especially compared to the value of the rest of the system, and if it makes you happier than that's it :)

sugarman wrote: »
    I personally wouldnt go replacing it either, its a good quality branded PSU that should last a long time. 3/4/5 years is nothing. How much was it in use? That would be a bigger factor rather than the age of it.

I've only ever encountered dirt cheap PSUs die / crappy OEM ones that were ran 24/7 in office environments and such.

Usage varied a good amount. There were times that it would be on for whole days but that was years ago. I personally got busy with work since about 3 to 4 years ago and would only use it on weekends and maybe 2 to 3 times a week after-hours weekdays for about 3 to 4 hours. Even then, it wouldn't all be heavy gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Cordell

According to the bathtub curve theory it will actually be safer to keep it. It is nowhere near its end of life, but it went out of that early period of separating the duds from good ones :)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I wouldn't either, unless you were selling the old PC as a unit and needed a new one anyway. Your current one will be fine.Unless your are heavily stressing them by running them at high load consistently, good quality PSU's will last a very long time.

Advertisement