Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotavating help!

Options
  • 20-04-2020 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I’m starting afresh with a small garden as it was beyond saving. Grass and weeds are all brown after I applied weed killer about 10 days ago so all is fine there.

I’m hiring a rotavator but when I was speaking to the plant hire crew they said that I need to dig it up a bit because the rotavator wont. This seems strange to me as is that not the purpose of the rotavator in the first place? Surely it can break through an inch or two of soil when the vegetation is dead on it?

All help appreciated as I need to know if I’ve to get the spade out asap

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

I’m starting afresh with a small garden as it was beyond saving. Grass and weeds are all brown after I applied weed killer about 10 days ago so all is fine there.

I’m hiring a rotavator but when I was speaking to the plant hire crew they said that I need to dig it up a bit because the rotavator wont. This seems strange to me as is that not the purpose of the rotavator in the first place? Surely it can break through an inch or two of soil when the vegetation is dead on it?

All help appreciated as I need to know if I’ve to get the spade out asap

Some rotovators from the hire shops are too light to break up new ground and are essentially just for fluffing up loose ground you would have in a large vegetable patch. If you are trying to do a decent job you will need to be getting at least a depth of 5 inches or more. There are big rotovators out there but not all places have them. Where are you based??

Advertisement