Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get your money back from Ryanair, cancelled flights using Small Claims process

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭xabi_a

Thanks a lot for those details. I just put in a SCC claim against Ryanair.

I hope it works for everyone. But I just wonder, could the SCC not say that Ryanair are not explicitly refusing a refund, they just say it will take time. So there's no case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

xabi_a wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for those details. I just put in a SCC claim against Ryanair.

I hope it works for everyone. But I just wonder, could the SCC not say that Ryanair are not explicitly refusing a refund, they just say it will take time. So there's no case?

Not much room for confusion...

Article 8
    "Right to reimbursement or re-routing
    1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall
    be offered the choice between:
    (a) — reimbursement within seven days"....

Don't you just love the simplicity and specificness of the timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

It’s Swords

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Did you not listen to o Leary on sky news?

Normally they process 10k claims per month.

Because of social distancing they only have half the admin staff to try and process 10 million claims. All flights grounded.

Going through the courts is going to slow your refund down and cost you in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Fotish

Blueshoe wrote: »

Because of social distancing they only have half the admin staff to try and process 10 million claims. All flights grounded.

Going through the courts is going to slow your refund down and cost you in the long run

How is it going to slow down the Refund, at the moment O’Leary has made it all but impossible to get a refund , pushing useless vouchers on everybody.
    He has also stated that nothing happens on refunds until he decides that the Covin19 is over, it’s slow alright.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Fotish wrote: »
    How is it going to slow down the Refund, at the moment O’Leary has made it all but impossible to get a refund , pushing useless vouchers on everybody.
    He has also stated that nothing happens on refunds until he decides that the Covin19 is over, it’s slow alright.

Watch the clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Firstly, thanks for this! Will it work for car hire hired through Ryaniar also?

Secondly, apologies if I'm derailing the thread slightly, but would this work for AirBNB?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

I accepted the voucher. What’s the problem, would people prefer if Ryanair went broke? Be going nowhere then anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Treppen wrote: »
    A few schools were shafted when USIT went bust.

They contacted Ryanair to look for refund for flights booked by USIT but Ryanair said they need transaction numbers etc from usit.

Needless to say it's a stone wall.

Any chance SCC would work?

USIT are bonded, providing they are flying from Ireland they go through the regulator. As they are bonded they will not be shafted.
    Claim here : https://www.aviationreg.ie/welcome-to-the-commission-for-aviation-regulation-ireland/travel-business-collapse-information-and-claim-forms.960.html

They have no reason what so ever to go near Ryanair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Zetor19 wrote: »
    I accepted the voucher. What’s the problem, would people prefer if Ryanair went broke? Be going nowhere then anyway.
    Ryanair deserve to be bankrupted. Hopefully all the chargeback fees will bankrupt them (and they'll also be refused permission to accept card payments in the future).

Michael O'Leary belongs in jail. Actually a dungeon would be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Because of social distancing they only have half the admin staff to try and process 10 million claims.

He is making up excuses/lies.

Refunds can be processed from home. He should have all, not half, his admin staff working.

Refunds are very simple and very quick for a company to process. A person could process huge volumes of them per day.

There has to be other Ryanair doing very little right now who could be redeployed to refunds.

And if he really cared and if it was really needed he could hire more staff remotely on contracts to process the refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Blueshoe wrote:

This is a lie as lots of staff are working from home. They actually have more capacity to deal with claims as they have no new bookings or actual flights to manage. So all staff even MOL himself can work on refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,337 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The problem is they are trying to hold onto peoples money by breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

JTMan wrote: »
    He is making up excuses/lies.

Refunds can be processed from home. He should have all, not half, his admin staff working.

Refunds are very simple and very quick for a company to process. A person could process huge volumes of them per day.

There has to be other Ryanair doing very little right now who could be redeployed to refunds.

And if he really cared and if it was really needed he could hire more staff remotely on contracts to process the refunds.

I'd actually imagine there's MORE work involved in arranging a voucher than a refund - likely considerably so. Yet they seem to have managed that just fine....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Never occurred to you that he might be lying no?

How is the SCC going to slow a refund down? Ryanair have to respond in 15 days. It’s the only way you can get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭mattser

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Ryanair deserve to be bankrupted. Hopefully all the chargeback fees will bankrupt them (and they'll also be refused permission to accept card payments in the future).

Michael O'Leary belongs in jail. Actually a dungeon would be better.

Best thing that ever happened the travel industry in this country. 200 pounds for return to London in 1987 with the shamrock. 20 euro with Ryanair in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

So you think the year expiry date is enough?

mattser wrote: »
    Best thing that ever happened the travel industry in this country. 200 pounds for return to London in 1987 with the shamrock. 20 euro with Ryanair in 2020.

They are certainly up there, though to be fair it would have happened anyway to some degree whether it was them or someone else. The thing is just because they are used a lot and people like the fares etc doesn’t mean they should be let do as they please. A mate of mine likes to use the analogy that if he goes out for a pint with someone and that person buys him pints all night but after 5 pints when the sixth arrives the buyer dips his scrotum into the glass he’s not going to drink the sixth because of the first 5. It’s the same here they are a business and shouldn’t be getting free passes because we got cheap flights in the past because of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

salmocab wrote: »
    They are certainly up there, though to be fair it would have happened anyway to some degree whether it was them or someone else. The thing is just because they are used a lot and people like the fares etc doesn’t mean they should be let do as they please. A mate of mine likes to use the analogy that if he goes out for a pint with someone and that person buys him pints all night but after 5 pints when the sixth arrives the buyer dips his scrotum into the glass he’s not going to drink the sixth because of the first 5. It’s the same here they are a business and shouldn’t be getting free passes because we got cheap flights in the past because of them.

It's more like Ryanair are a bar that sells you half price pints with the caveat there might have been a scrotum dipped in it. You understand the risk before drinking the pint but you accept it because it's half price.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,395 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Got an email from Ryanair to say my flight is cancelled, but then when trying to get a refund online it's telling me my booking reference doesn't exist.

Whats options then? Bar ringing them

• Advertisement

It's more like Ryanair are a bar that sells you half price pints with the caveat there might have been a scrotum dipped in it. You understand the risk before drinking the pint but you accept it because it's half price.

To be fair in the normal run of things they generally offer reasonable value, not much better than Aer Lingus anymore but that’s mainly because they have driven prices down. The days of the ridiculously low prices are all but gone anyway. We know what we’re getting booking Ryanair, personally I’ve never had a terrible experience we them but I’ve had a few things that really pissed me off, however I’m generally happy to go with them. None of that has anything to do with this though, they are pushing this too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Get Real

MadYaker wrote: »
    Never occurred to you that he might be lying no?

How is the SCC going to slow a refund down? Ryanair have to respond in 15 days. It’s the only way you can get a refund.

I don't know how the small claims court will speed the refund up either.

So you win, court makes an order you get a refund. You go into the refund queue as you would have done anyway.

If they're using an excuse (whether it be false or true) to break EU law, they'll use the same one for the small claims court.

"We're giving you a refund, but you'll have to wait"

I also don't see the Irish Government punishing Ryanair for this either due to the current situation. Better being lenient than letting them fail.

I had a 110quid flight booked and personally, I know at some stage I'll fly with them again. So have no issue just taking the voucher.

On principle I'd want the cash yeah, but if it meant them failing, it'd be shooting myself in the foot long term.

Also, if I get 110quid cash now, and buy a 110quid flight in December, I'm no better or worse off than the voucher scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

6 wrote: »
    Got an email from Ryanair to say my flight is cancelled, but then when trying to get a refund online it's telling me my booking reference doesn't exist.

What's options then? Bar ringing them

Don't call Ryanair.
    If Ryanair systems don't work it's not up to you to fix them.

You want your money back you need to move today before Heather Humphreys changes the law!:

1. Chargeback....AIB/PTSB have said no. N26 Yes.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2058069347

2. CAR (Commission for Aviation Regulation). Ignore 6 week delay,lodge complaint today.
    https://www.flightrights.ie/home/com...edure.452.html

3. Small claims court. €25 non refundable fee. Airline response in 15 days.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2058071799

4. Travel insurance. Depends on policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

salmocab wrote: »
    To be fair in the normal run of things they generally offer reasonable value, not much better than Aer Lingus anymore but that’s mainly because they have driven prices down. The days of the ridiculously low prices are all but gone anyway. We know what we’re getting booking Ryanair, personally I’ve never had a terrible experience we them but I’ve had a few things that really pissed me off, however I’m generally happy to go with them. None of that has anything to do with this though, they are pushing this too far.

I fully agree with you. I never understand the moaners. You know the risks with this airline. I've had both good and bad experiences but the lower price has always made he risk worth it for me. Of course, they do need to provide a basic level of good service and 99% of the trips I've had with them have provided that.

I fully agree with you. I never understand the moaners. You know the risks with this airline. I've had both good and bad experiences but the lower price has always made he risk worth it for me. Of course, they do need to provide a basic level of good service and 99% of the trips I've had with them have provided that.

In general they are fine, city break, bucket and spade trip or over to watch sport somewhere. You get a seat and get there on time for a decent price generally. None of that excuses trying to keep people’s money though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Would you honestly be arsed? Ryanair sell cheap flights, so accept the voucher, and rebook when the world is back to normal again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I understand that everyone has a different situation but if you can, just take the voucher. Would you prefer going back to €200 return flights to London when Ryanair go bust all for the sake of getting your €50 back for your weekend in Amsterdam?

We have Morocco booked for June. obviously not cancelled.. yet but I plan to just take the voucher as we will just go later in the year or whenever it's possible. No big deal (in my situation) obviously others are waiting on a lot more money back and aren't as flexible with travel so yes..get your refund but most people please just get the voucher or you won't be going on your family trips to Santa ponsa ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I understand that everyone has a different situation but if you can, just take the voucher. Would you prefer going back to €200 return flights to London when Ryanair go bust all for the sake of getting your €50 back for your weekend in Amsterdam?

We have Morocco booked for June. obviously not cancelled.. yet but I plan to just take the voucher as we will just go later in the year or whenever it's possible. No big deal (in my situation) obviously others are waiting on a lot more money back and aren't as flexible with travel so yes..get your refund but most people please just get the voucher or you won't be going on your family trips to Santa ponsa ever again.

I too would take the voucher, but not limited to one year. I might not be in a position to travel next year. There has to be quid pro quo or else just return the cash.

Would you honestly be arsed? Ryanair sell cheap flights, so accept the voucher, and rebook when the world is back to normal again.

Booking has to be done within a year so reasonable chance the world won’t be back to normal before then, especially air travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I too would take the voucher, but not limited to one year. I might not be in a position to travel next year. There has to be quid pro quo or else just return the cash.

Yeah I think the 1 year limit is a little low as we don't know when flights will resume again.

But most of us will definitely be jetting off using said vouchers not a bother which isn't an issue for us and will keep a low price budget airline in business which in return equals cheap flights for us.

I really couldn't give a ****e about O'Leary or anything. I just want to have decent priced flights.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement