Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get your money back from Ryanair, cancelled flights using Small Claims process

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,395 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

A lot of people won't want to fly until a vaccine is found for various reasons, so a year voucher is a cop out. Going through SCC is a good option if you've spent even a modest amount on a flight..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

MarkY91 wrote: »
    when Ryanair go bust .

Ryanair are not going to go bust.
    They have an incredibly strong balance sheet.
    They are one of Boeing biggest customers.

The airlines in Europe are threatening this line to extract as much money as possible from the EU and the Governments.

6 wrote: »
    A lot of people won't want to fly until a vaccine is found for various reasons, so a year voucher is a cop out. Going through SCC is a good option if you've spent even a modest amount on a flight..

If the €25 fee doesn't make sense because the fare is modest then you could try the regulator. Bit slower but they will get you your money eventually.

Ignore the 4/6 week wait, that's for more complex claims.

CAR (Commission for Aviation Regulation).
    https://www.flightrights.ie/home/com...edure.452.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Ryanair deserve to be bankrupted. Hopefully all the chargeback fees will bankrupt them (and they'll also be refused permission to accept card payments in the future).

Michael O'Leary belongs in jail. Actually a dungeon would be better.

You're clearly a genius and have worked this out.

You do know we live on an island?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

You're clearly a genius and have worked this out.

You do know we live on an island?

Doesn't mean that we need the vile O'Leary or his crap airline. So you're the failed genius. Plenty of other aeroplanes available. And boats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,395 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

paddy19 wrote: »
    If the €25 fee doesn't make sense because the fare is modest then you could try the regulator. Bit slower but they will get you your money eventually.

Ignore the 4/6 week wait, that's for more complex claims.

CAR (Commission for Aviation Regulation).

If your flight is UK to Ireland I presume you go through the CAA in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Don't call Ryanair.
    If Ryanair systems don't work it's not up to you to fix them.

You want your money back you need to move today before Heather Humphreys changes the law!:

1. Chargeback....AIB/PTSB have said no. N26 Yes.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2058069347

2. CAR (Commission for Aviation Regulation). Ignore 6 week delay,lodge complaint today.

3. Small claims court. €25 non refundable fee. Airline response in 15 days.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2058071799

4. Travel insurance. Depends on policy.

What response do you expect in 15 days...

Ryanair are not going to go bust.
    They have an incredibly strong balance sheet.
    They are one of Boeing biggest customers.

The airlines in Europe are threatening this line to extract as much money as possible from the EU and the Governments.

Enron , to big to fail...

6 wrote: »
    If your flight is UK to Ireland I presume you go through the CAA in the UK?

Good point a flight UK origin is a UK resolution process.

Which is whole different ball game!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Get Real wrote: »
    I don't know how the small claims court will speed the refund up either.

So you win, court makes an order you get a refund. You go into the refund queue as you would have done anyway.

If they're using an excuse (whether it be false or true) to break EU law, they'll use the same one for the small claims court.

"We're giving you a refund, but you'll have to wait"

I also don't see the Irish Government punishing Ryanair for this either due to the current situation. Better being lenient than letting them fail.

I had a 110quid flight booked and personally, I know at some stage I'll fly with them again. So have no issue just taking the voucher.

On principle I'd want the cash yeah, but if it meant them failing, it'd be shooting myself in the foot long term.

Also, if I get 110quid cash now, and buy a 110quid flight in December, I'm no better or worse off than the voucher scenario.

No you won't go into the illegal refund queue because the courts uphold the law and force Ryanair to give you back your money now. It's nothing to do with the gov the courts are independent.

You know the voucher is only valid for this year right? Are you confident you'll be able to go on holidays this year? I wouldn't be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Fotish

salmocab wrote: »
    In general they are fine, city break, bucket and spade trip or over to watch sport somewhere. You get a seat and get there on time for a decent price generally. None of that excuses trying to keep people’s money though.

Yes, they are fine , if everything goes well.
    The minute something goes wrong their attitude is “ don’t call us , just f*uck off.

ted1 wrote: »
    Enron , to big to fail...

You are comparing Ryanair to Enron?

You are comparing Ryanair to Enron?

I’m saying any one can fail using their size as a reason for them not to fail is wrong.

MadYaker wrote: »
    No you won't go into the illegal refund queue because the courts uphold the law and force Ryanair to give you back your money now. It's nothing to do with the gov the courts are independent.

You know the voucher is only valid for this year right? Are you confident you'll be able to go on holidays this year? I wouldn't be.

How long do courts give to pay debts?

ted1 wrote: »
    How long do courts give to pay debts?

It is very, very unlikely the airline will dispute a cancelled flight refund.

It is clear that a cash refund within 7 days is required by law per EU261 Article 8.

They are more likely to either pay up or not respond.

If your claim is not disputed:
    The District Court will then make an order in your favour (without you having to attend court) for the amount claimed, and direct that it be paid within a short specific period of time.

http://www.courts.ie/courts.ie/library3.nsf/pagecurrent/35EAB9E31077DF528025810D00355544?opendocument&l=en

It is clear that a cash refund within 7 days is required by law per EU261 Article 8.

The District Court will then make an order in your favour (without you having to attend court) for the amount claimed, and direct that it be paid within a short specific period of time.

http://www.courts.ie/courts.ie/library3.nsf/pagecurrent/35EAB9E31077DF528025810D00355544?opendocument&l=en

I didn’t say that they would dispute it. I asked how long they give.
    What is the short specific period of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It's actually outrageous that they don't award fees (for filing) against the criminal Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I got an email offering a voucher for both legs of our flight. I don't mind the voucher. I am just wondering what happens if I don't click the link for the voucher or the link for the refund?
    Would the money be charged back?

If the option was there to book the same flight a year ahead I would do it but not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭limabromac

I was reading another thread a few weeks ago when Ryanair started to cancel and I read this post so I said I'd post it here to give people some hope about the SCC but that it might be a lengthy process....

josip
    Quote: elperello
    Hold on to your evidence.
    It may come down to the Small Claims Court when this is all over.

It never actually gets to the Small Claims Court.
    A good few years ago, 4 friends of mine took them to the Small Claims court because they incorrectly denied them boarding based on a travel visa, resulting in them missing out on a week's holiday.

Ryanair refused to admit their mistake and wouldn't even refund the flight part so they took a small claims case.
    Zero engagement from Ryanair for months until the day before the case, they got a call from a solicitor representing them, who said that Ryanair would be settling in full including the cost of the accommodation and everything they had booked during the week.
    Courier delivered payment that same day.
    Ryanair always wait to see if you'll blink first

limabromac wrote: »
    I was reading another thread a few weeks ago when Ryanair started to cancel and I read this post so I said I'd post it here to give people some hope about the SCC but that it might be a lengthy process....

josip
    Quote: elperello
    Hold on to your evidence.
    It may come down to the Small Claims Court when this is all over.

It never actually gets to the Small Claims Court.
    A good few years ago, 4 friends of mine took them to the Small Claims court because they incorrectly denied them boarding based on a travel visa, resulting in them missing out on a week's holiday.

Ryanair refused to admit their mistake and wouldn't even refund the flight part so they took a small claims case.
    Zero engagement from Ryanair for months until the day before the case, they got a call from a solicitor representing them, who said that Ryanair would be settling in full including the cost of the accommodation and everything they had booked during the week.
    Courier delivered payment that same day.
    Ryanair always wait to see if you'll blink first

Thanks for the post.
    Great if we could get more actual experiences of the SCC.

I don't think the SCC was the lengthy part of the process.
    I think elperello was referring to the usual delaying tactics of Ryanair.

I think that is a much more complex case than a cancelled flight which is very clear cut.

In this case I think Ryanair may have been concerned about setting a precedent of paying for accommodation.

I think in cancellation refunds Ryanair will pay up early because it has no chance of winning and definitely not going to court.

But as with things judicial and especially with courts and the mercurial MOL I could be proved wrong.

• Advertisement

Hopefully we will get some more positive stories from the small claims court.. there are laws in Ireland to protect consumers who want their money back from a service that they were promised but never received...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭xabi_a

I think Ryanair probably would not go broke, but whether they do or not is not the point.

I took an SCC case because Ryanair treats us like fools, as they always do. They could either give us a refund, or say no you're not getting one. But instead they pretend they give us a refund option, but with a link that effectively leads nowhere. They're refusing but trying to cover the backs legally.

They play hardball so we have to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭acequion

Thanks so much for all the information here as I'm in the same boat and want my money back.

One question. Before making my claim to the SCC do I first inform Ryanair that I don't want their voucher and should I resubmit my refund request? Or do I go directly to SCC?

My cancelled flight was 6th April. Again huge thanks.My stress levels have gone right back down since reading all of this.:) MOL is one hell of a cowboy! :mad:

acequion wrote: »
    Thanks so much for all the information here as I'm in the same boat and want my money back.

One question. Before making my claim to the SCC do I first inform Ryanair that I don't want their voucher and should I resubmit my refund request? Or do I go directly to SCC?

My cancelled flight was 6th April. Again huge thanks.My stress levels have gone right back down since reading all of this.:) MOL is one hell of a cowboy! :mad:

I'd say Make the claim with the SCC..and if you wanted to send an email at the same time to Ryanair stating your refusal and you can include it in your scc claim which is uploadable with the claim, also you could put in the original email saying flight was cancelled and you chose a refund etc....if you wanted, just to substantiate your claim... either way the claim is totally valid so it probably won't need to be backed up ..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

We're going to try cut down the amount of refund threads (and the amount of reports we're getting about them).
    There's another, useful one on the SCC so I'm going to lock this one.

(Thread reopened for a bit as Paddy wants to edit something , but please use the one refund thread).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement