If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick (I hope) TV query

Options
  • 20-04-2020 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Hope you are all well. I have another tv query to add to the many that have been on this forum as of late. (Apologised for that, but didn’t want to jump in on someone else’s thread!)
    Been lurking around trying to sift through some options and before I pull the trigger, felt it prudent to just throw a quick query to rely on your sound advice.

The current story. Intending to upgrade my current 43” LG that has been in on the go for seven odd years. Sound is starting to fail and it current position has it now covered in child sized handprints. So time for an upgrade now that 4K has come down to a reasonable price.

Between lurking this forum recently and checking the website, I’ve eyed up the Panasonic TX-50gx800b. It’s probably past the the upper end of my budget, but it garners a number of favourable reviews. Is be hoping that the next tv lasts as long as my current so paying for quality I can live with!
    Some due note that the sound might not be great, but I still have a sound bar I purchased from you guys three years ago that still going strong, even if it’s criminally underused now with a child!

My quick query comes in the form of the range of Philips range of 4K TV’s that are there. Easier on the pocket and reviews are decent- although a common thread with these is been finicky to set up for the best viewing experience.

So really looking for some expert opinions to steer me in the right direction before I finally pull the trigger on something. Worth paying for a good quality set? Is there something obvious I’m missing with any of the Philips’ set? Or is there a dark horse I’m missing.
    For what it’s worth, the TV is intended to be the living room centrepiece. Primarily used for watching tv, specifically by the streaming apps (have a Firestick 4K so while a good tv OS is handy, it’s not crucial. At least maybe I feel that but feel free to put me right), streaming from a plex server, and a PS4 (I do get to game a little, even with the child!).

Thanks in advance guys. I value your expertise on this in making the right decision after been steered right by you guys a few years back.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.