Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If there was an election tomorrow, how would you vote?

Options
  • 20-04-2020 7:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭Cobalt17

Have you been wooed by the flu shirts, or would you stick by your guns?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's obvious that the answer is for whoever is promising the most 'free' stuff, houses, rent, whatever.
    As we know from the last election, it doesn't matter if it is realistic or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Whoever promises no matter how vague to not make the middle and upper class pay any more in tax for this entire pandemic. The hope will keep me here a little longer until the inevitable PR backlash which results in middle Ireland being double shafted to pay for the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Obviously the communist party comrades.

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's obvious that the answer is for whoever is promising the most 'free' stuff, houses, rent, whatever.

So how come FG fared so badly last time? The whole concept of the 'foreva' home and 'dem that don't want to work' comes under FG. To be fair Dara Murphy out did Margret Cash on that one.

Whoever promises no matter how vague to not make the middle and upper class pay any more in tax for this entire pandemic. The hope will keep me here a little longer until the inevitable PR backlash which results in middle Ireland being double shafted to pay for the lot.

Where we traditionally prefer the working and middle class tax payer support sweet deals and 'dem that don't like to pay tax' like the gent who's Isle of Man company is renting us beds currently.

• Advertisement

Bowie wrote: »
    So how come FG fared so badly last time? The whole concept of the 'foreva' home and 'dem that don't want to work' comes under FG. To be fair Dara Murphy out did Margret Cash on that one.

If that was the case, then why was housing such a huge election issue?
    The 'foreva' home concept is actually a FF era implementation, as councils decided to sell off houses to tenants long before FG took on the reigns.

I've no idea what relevance Dara Murphy has to Margret Cash.

If that was the case, then why was housing such a huge election issue?
    The 'foreva' home concept is actually a FF era implementation, as councils decided to sell off houses to tenants long before FG took on the reigns.

I've no idea what relevance Dara Murphy has to Margret Cash.

Because FG hadn't invested in building significant social housing in about a decade and favoured giving tax payer money to vulture funds. I'd rather my taxes went on building social housing than hotels or 25 year leases to the company of the husband (Goldman Sachs) of FG's housing advisor. But I digress, let's look to the minor number of dole heads and Christmas bonus etc.

Only Labour spoke out about that as I recall. Also FF are out since 2011, I think looking to FG is fair.

'Dem that don't want to work'. Dara's the guru.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Anyone but Fine Gael,

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Thank God Sinn Fein weren't in power. Holy God can you imagine. Although they really dont want to be In power & are just happy to shout from the sidelines offering free everything.

Bowie wrote: »
    Because FG hadn't invested in building significant social housing in about a decade and favoured giving tax payer money to vulture funds. I'd rather my taxes went on building social housing than hotels or 25 year leases to the company of the husband (Goldman Sachs) of FG's housing advisor. But I digress, let's look to the minor number of dole heads and Christmas bonus etc.

Only Labour spoke out about that as I recall. Also FF are out since 2011, I think looking to FG is fair.

'Dem that don't want to work'. Dara's the guru.

So strange How people don't remember the situation our country was in a decade ago, yet expect fancy social housing to have appeared overnight. But even then, when Nama offered a large block of apartments to SDCC in Tallaght for social housing, it was the non-FG led SDCC that turned it down.

I don't know what you parroting on about Isle of Man and Goldman Sachs about. Could you not manage to post at least one simple straight fact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

You mean unrealistic like a rent freeze, 350 euro social welfare payments, single payer health system.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

lol Sinn-tards once in a lifetime election victory killed by Corona. I'll be voting for the blue shirts next. Heil O'Duffy and may covid reign long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ForestFire

From home?..........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Feel like post election has shown and vote other than SF/FF/FG is probably a wasted vote as they dont want to be in Government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Fine Gael!

As I did in February, and 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Feel like post election has shown and vote other than SF/FF/FG is probably a wasted vote as they dont want to be in Government

This.

None of these 3 were in my top 2 but considering no one else has any interest in actually governing I’d switch to FG 1 and 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

This is fairly spot on tbh with probably the exception of the greens.

Solidarity, Independents, now more than ever I think are a wasted vote. I'd vote somewhere in the main 3, depending on policy. SF have some good people there now but genuinely, they don't have the depth of talent to form a government id be comfortable with. Id actually probably say that about all 3 of the main parties to be fair, FG probably a little better off in that regard but not by much.

If there was an election tomorrow I feel FG would do better but I'm not sure by much! On the back of this pandemic, I'm surprised anyone wants to go into government, whoever stays out will probably romp the next election

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Savecoronabeer

I'd vote for Sein Fein. I've never had an interest in voting for them but someone always brings them up in a facebook, reddit or boards post constantly so there must be some good to them.

You mean unrealistic like a rent freeze, 350 euro social welfare payments, single-payer health system.

Those are realistic, but for three months.

How many rental properties do you think would still be around after a few years with no rent increases - who is going to buy and provide rental accommodation?

Good luck trying to get lots of people back to many jobs if they're going to get paid 350 a week forever.

Single-payer health system. Now that's an interesting one; There are hundreds of unhappy private doctors and consultants who have been told to work under the HSE single system. We will get away with that for now, how long do you think that will last?

Even with the much-vaunted NHS, there is a thriving private practice in the UK. Harley Street isn't the HQ of the NHS.

• Advertisement

I'd vote for Sein Fein. I've never had an interest in voting for them but someone always brings them up in a facebook, reddit or boards post constantly so there must be some good to them.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel.
    For a political party so grounded in shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Will make barely any difference, when even fg now cate more about the 4eva home brigade than those that would have been traditional fg voters

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nedkelly123

risteard7 wrote: »
    Thank God Sinn Fein weren't in power. Holy God can you imagine. Although they really dont want to be In power & are just happy to shout from the sidelines offering free everything.

At least we would have no shortage of masks we could use against the virus if they won

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Those are realistic, but for three months.

How many rental properties do you think would still be around after a few years with no rent increases - who is going to buy and provide rental accommodation?

Good luck trying to get lots of people back to many jobs if they're going to get paid 350 a week forever.

Single-payer health system. Now that's an interesting one; There are hundreds of unhappy private doctors and consultants who have been told to work under the HSE single system. We will get away with that for now, how long do you think that will last?

Even with the much-vaunted NHS, there is a thriving private practice in the UK. Harley Street isn't the HQ of the NHS.

Why are they only realistic for 3 months? Obviously we can afford to long term give this level of income support to a million people but when the economy returns we should be giving people who lost their jobs more

No one said rent freeze forever. Lucky the arse has fallen out of the Air BnB market and we've magically got lots of stock available now. In other counties you don't need continuous rental increases to make investments profitable. The property itself is rising in value.

Awh so you want people to work for buttons is it?

A private health sector can remain. They can build everything themselves. No more work in public hospitals for example

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

FG obviously. The only sensible party we have, and on the correct side of the political spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Its gona be hard for the Opposition in the next election campaign, no1 will want to come down on FG too much for fear of being held to account themselves (as in their response to the Crisis) The econmony nationaly and globaly is gona be screwed so every1s proposals will have to be re-calculated so theyr will be no more give away budgets or tax breaks.
    I was actualy looking forward to this Gov, SF + certain Inds coming to the fore, taking their rightful places in the Dail and showing us all what they are made of.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Savecoronabeer

Ah yes the usual "but but da ra" posts. Solid stuff that definitely helped in election past.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

FG

they are a useless shower of tossers but by far the best of a bad lot

risteard7 wrote: »

You keep selling that and looking after uncle Dinny.
    Yes thankfully we have the journalism drop out in charge of health, from the party 'relish'ed the thoughts of being on the sidelines.
    Do you pay attention to reality or just make up your own?

• Advertisement

It's like shooting fish in a barrel.
    For a political party so grounded in shooting.

Like a virtual police state under marshal law might be for a party fond of Nazism? We can say ridiculous things about anything.

Advertisement