Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If there was an election tomorrow, how would you vote?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

Seems to be a Fine Gael trait, giving out about someone else having something, petty jealousy eats them up , end up alone and miserable half starving themselves to gather money they never spend then they die and some distant relative pisses the money against a wall.

Lol wut? Ive got a pretty nice life, through hard work and taking responsibility '

I support a welfare system, not sure I'd want a harsh place like America...But I don't think it's selfish to want fiscal prudence in a country sustain a good quality of life for all...

Going by your logic I should just say fūck it, ditch the job just live on the state. Cos someone will pay for it. Surely...

Geuze wrote: »
    I do the tax returns every year. All is correct.

Less than 10% direct tax on 48-50k income.

I will actually look at the P21 now, just to get the exact figures:

Income = 52,200
    Tax = 3,858.91
    USC = 730
    PRSI = nil, as over 66

Total = 4,588 or 8.8% direct income taxes

Such a generous country!!

Plus two med cards, two FTP, free TV licence, and 35 pm off the elec bill.

Fair enough but that's on pensions. Not applicable to a standard married couple that's working.

In a standard situation Ireland is in the top half of Europe for tax at 52000 income paying about 12000 taxes.

I do appreciate you taking the time to answer by the way.

Lol wut? Ive got a pretty nice life, through hard work and taking responsibility '

I support a welfare system, not sure I'd want a harsh place like America...But I don't think it's selfish to want fiscal prudence in a country sustain a good quality of life for all...

Going by your logic I should just say fūck it, ditch the job just live on the state. Cos someone will pay for it. Surely...

This. This right here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Fair enough but that's on pensions. Not applicable to a standard married couple that's working.

In a standard situation Ireland is in the top half of Europe for tax at 52000 income paying about 12000 taxes.

Yes, fair enough, there are some differences to a couple under 66:
    • the Age tax credit of 490.
    • PRSI payable under 66
    • higher USC, as this couple have a full GMS medical card.

I will check the situation for a couple under 66 earning a similar amount:

Married, 2 earners, 50k combined income = 10.8% excl USC

They pay 5,400 in tax and PRSI.

Where do you get the 12k from?

I'll do the sums.

50,000 @ 20% = 10,000, less tax credits of 6600 (3300 + 1650 + 1650)

Tax due on 50k combined income is 3400

4% PRSI = 2000

Tax + PRSI = 5,400 or 10.8%, on 50k combined income

• Advertisement

Yes, fair enough, there are some differences to a couple under 66:
    • the Age tax credit of 490.
    • PRSI payable under 66
    • higher USC, as this couple have a full GMS medical card.

I never realised prsi didn't apply to pensioners. Every day is a school day indeed

I will check the situation for a couple under 66 earning a similar amount:

Married, 2 earners, 50k combined income = 10.8% excl USC

They pay 5,400 in tax and PRSI.

Where do you get the 12k from?

I'll do the sums.

50,000 @ 20% = 10,000, less tax credits of 6600 (3300 + 1650 + 1650)

Tax due on 50k combined income is 3400

4% PRSI = 2000

Tax + PRSI = 5,400 or 10.8%, on 50k combined income

On an income of 52200.

44300 @ 20% = 8860.
    7900 @ 40% = 3160

Tax credit = -4950

Prsi = 1672

Usc = 1672

Total tax = 10830

Using pwc calculator for a married couple

I never realised prsi didn't apply to pensioners. Every day is a school day indeed

Just to be clear, it based on your age, not the source of income.

My parents earn wages + pensions.

They do not pay PRSI on the wage incomes.

On an income of 52200.

44300 @ 20% = 8860.
    7900 @ 40% = 3160

Tax credit = -4950

Prsi = 1672

Usc = 1672

Total tax = 10830

Using pwc calculator for a married couple

Please note that my original example, and all my discussion since, is about a couple, with two incomes.

The example here is for a 1-income couple.

Please note that my original example, and all my discussion since, is about a couple, with two incomes.

The example here is for a 1-income couple.

My mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

Sinn Fein have won me over with their election campaign that things couldn't get any worse.

They're exactly the kind of far sighted, big picture party we need in the middle of unprecedented crisis, as in an actual crisis which affects people not some electioneering stunt.

SF all the way for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Wrong end of the stick I think, my point was that you bought a house and seemed to think someone getting a LA authority one was an outrage, horrible little boxes with tiny rooms, if you bought a house before you needed to with too high a percentage of a mortgage and now look for someone else to blame for it, you referred to me as a dullard which instantly identified you as a FG shill, I guarantee I have worked harder and longer than you and have learned that possessions for the sake of having them are pointless and worrying about what someone else has or hasn't got is even more pointless, government borrowing will never be an issue for me or you, it'll just get rolled over and over for decades.So chill the caustic jealousy of people you don't know, stop following Socky's Twitter and reading the Indo. Gossip and the rantings of narcissists are not healthy pastimes

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

Wrong end of the stick I think, my point was that you bought a house and seemed to think someone getting a LA authority one was an outrage, horrible little boxes with tiny rooms, if you bought a house before you needed to with too high a percentage of a mortgage and now look for someone else to blame for it, you referred to me as a dullard which instantly identified you as a FG shill, I guarantee I have worked harder and longer than you and have learned that possessions for the sake of having them are pointless and worrying about what someone else has or hasn't got is even more pointless, government borrowing will never be an issue for me or you, it'll just get rolled over and over for decades.So chill the caustic jealousy of people you don't know, stop following Socky's Twitter and reading the Indo. Gossip and the rantings of narcissists are not healthy pastimes

Bro.....are you okay? Sounds like you're having a stroke...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I would vote the same in Galway West
    1. Social Democrat
    2. Independent (Catherine Connolly)
    3. Green

The election promises might change somewhat ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

I would vote for the greens. I find Eamonn Ryan comical and would like to see what hairbrained policies he would try and implement if given power.

He might get something yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Bowie wrote: »
    Because FG hadn't invested in building significant social housing in about a decade
    which decade was this? the one where we were in a recession with massive national debt?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,175 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

No idea. The party I might support did not run a candidate last time, so I voted for another, obviously.

It depends on the list of candidates, and the performance of the incumbents.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Pretty much same as before except I would probably move Simon Harris to a higher preference though he probably still wouldn't be in my top 5

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

If there is another election its likely that there will be a new FF leader with a different attitude to S F. The Soc Dems or any others that wont make an effort to get into power this time doesnt deserve a vote

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Wouldn't make a difference. FF FG are eternal

• Advertisement

As always, I'd contemplate a vote for anyone left of FG/FF and Labour.

Advertisement