Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Monitor Ports

Options
  • 20-04-2020 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

Hi guys..

So, after my Dell Inspiron died a few months ago, I decided to buy a secondhand PC earlier.

All going well with it, thankfully, however, there is only one port (Dvi) at the back for the monitor.

I have two monitors, so, how would I go about getting the second monitor up and running with it?

There are two HDMI ports at the back of the PC also, but the monitors both use vga cables.

Audio on the second monitor would not be important.

I see on ebay, etc, that there are Female vga to HDMI connectors.. Would these do? Is it that simple?
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/HDMI-Male-to-VGA-Female-HD-Video-Converter-Adapter-Cable-Monitor-PC-LAPTOP-094/291892722924?hash=item43f6297cec:g:lZUAAOSwFMRdr2ug

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Hi guys..

So, after my Dell Inspiron died a few months ago, I decided to buy a secondhand PC earlier.

All going well with it, thankfully, however, there is only one port (Dvi) at the back for the monitor.

I have two monitors, so, how would I go about getting the second monitor up and running with it?

There are two HDMI ports at the back of the PC also, but the monitors both use vga cables.

Audio on the second monitor would not be important.

I see on ebay, etc, that there are Female vga to HDMI connectors.. Would these do? Is it that simple?
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/HDMI-Male-to-VGA-Female-HD-Video-Converter-Adapter-Cable-Monitor-PC-LAPTOP-094/291892722924?hash=item43f6297cec:g:lZUAAOSwFMRdr2ug

Thanks in advance.

Are you sure those are hdmi? Dell have a display port which is similar. If you have two HDMI ports, you can get a HDMI to vga adapter. Some monitors also have HDMI, so double check what you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Hi Mark..

The PC I got today is not a Dell... The dell was my old one that died a few months back.

The one I picked up is a Medion MS 7713.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Instead going for adapter, get full length cable with corresponding connectors - less joints
    All, DP-to-DVI(VGA) and HDMI-to-DVI(VGA) available ~€10

Instead going for adapter, get full length cable with corresponding connectors - less joints
    All, DP-to-DVI(VGA) and HDMI-to-DVI(VGA) available ~€10

Hi Smuggler,

Would you have a link to such a device please?

Hi Smuggler,

Would you have a link to such a device please?
    there is thing called google... :D
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=DP-to-DVI

• Advertisement

I think I need something like the one I posted earlier.

The other monitor has a VGA connector on it. The one you have there seems to be dvi. The other one is already connected via that dvi port.

Yes, that's what I posted earlier.

So, it's as simple as buying that, connect it up, and I should be back to dual monitors?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Just make sure you know if you have DP or HDMI connections on the PC so you get the correct adapter or cable.

Just make sure you know if you have DP or HDMI connections on the PC so you get the correct adapter or cable.

Will do, thank you.

Only bought it today, so trying to get info online about it. But it has been modified quite a bit.

• Advertisement

Yes, that's what I posted earlier.

So, it's as simple as buying that, connect it up, and I should be back to dual monitors?
    I meant this, what you pick is actually up to you, will work.

70047266_max.jpg

I meant this, what you pick is actually up to you, will work.

70047266_max.jpg

Cool, thank you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You can see the difference in the HDMI & DP plugs in the below pic ...... HDMI on the left and DP on the right.

Check the sockets on the PC to know which type you have.

misc-hdmi-dp-medium.jpg

You can see the difference in the HDMI & DP plugs in the below pic ...... HDMI on the left and DP on the right.

Check the sockets on the PC to know which type you have.

misc-hdmi-dp-medium.jpg

Ideal, great pic.

Thanks Johnboy.

Advertisement