Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin Media + Tenda Nova Mesh MW6 = ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

• 20-04-2020 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hoping some networking or DNS gurus might be able to help here, as I'm really stuck on resolving an issue!

I have a Virgin Media 250Mb line - all has worked fine with it for 6+ months, except for a couple Wifi dead-spots throughout the house which is why I bought this Tenda mesh system.

I bought a Tenda Nova MW6 Mesh wifi system, which has worked great for about a day, and now all of a sudden, can't connect to pretty much any website - when I make a request, almost instantly I get the "This site can't be reached" error in Chrome. This is consistent on any device on the network. Almost all the requests are failing. The odd time, I page might load but all the static resources (I'm guessing from different domains) are missing.

I have the Tenda system running in bridged mode, so the Virgin Media Hub 3.0 is still in charge with DHCP.

Have no idea what to do to fix this - but I'm pretty certain it's something to do with the configuration of the VM router with the Tenda Nova MW6.

Has anyone used this combination or have any recommendations?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bridged mode is not what you want. Configure it as an access point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lockie

I never use wifi from Hub 3.0 or any wireless device given by the service provider. They will only give you the worst possible device with horrible performance. I put my Hub 3.0 into modem mode and connect via ethernet cable to a mesh router. I'm using Google Wifi. Perfect wireless connection since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Cork981

lockie wrote: »
    I never use wifi from Hub 3.0 or any wireless device given by the service provider. They will only give you the worst possible device with horrible performance. I put my Hub 3.0 into modem mode and connect via ethernet cable to a mesh router. I'm using Google Wifi. Perfect wireless connection since.

Take the hub out of bridge mode and just disable WiFi, leave DHCP enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭fixxation

Appears my VM Hub 3.0 doesn't have a modem mode. What is working for me now, and is working very well is:

VM Hub: DHCP server enabled
    Tenda Mesh: Bridged

The VM Hub just thinks that all the wireless devices on the Tenda are now wired devices to the VM Hub. I like this setup, makes it easier to change ISP later if I want to, and none of the wireless clients would need any updating.

Thanks for the replies. Full wireless over the entire house now, finally! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

fixxation wrote: »
    Appears my VM Hub 3.0 doesn't have a modem mode. What is working for me now, and is working very well is:

VM Hub: DHCP server enabled
    Tenda Mesh: Bridged

The VM Hub just thinks that all the wireless devices on the Tenda are now wired devices to the VM Hub. I like this setup, makes it easier to change ISP later if I want to, and none of the wireless clients would need any updating.

Thanks for the replies. Full wireless over the entire house now, finally! :-)

I just ordered the MW6 and should be delivered in the next week or so.

I have the option (under the "modem mode"):
    Modem mode disables the WiFi feature of the Virgin Media Hub 3.0, so you can connect your own wireless router.
    Enable Modem Mode Enable Router Mode

That should ensure it works right away doesnt it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Sorry to hop in but I'm having bother with the BT Mini Whole Home WiFi Mesh system.

I bought one of these with the 3 discs and have been trying to set it up this evening with no luck. I'm falling at the first hurdle.

The instructions (and app) say to connect the first disc to my router via ethernet cable. I do this and power on the disc. The purple light appears, which means the disc is starting or up. This then changes to a fast flashing blue, which means it's connecting to my network via the ethernet cable. The instructions say this should only take 15 seconds, but stays like this for ~ 5 minutes before turning solid red, which means there's a problem with my connection.

I factory reset, try again, same issue. Tried different ethernet cables that work on other devices, no change. Plug out all other ethernet cables from my router, still no change. Have tried the other 2 discs as the "primary" disc to connect to the router, still nothing.

Other devices connect without any issue (laptop, TV, sky box, PlayStation, TP Links powerline adapter etc.), so why won't these?

I have Virgin Media, it's the Hub 3 (white router). I haven't changed any of the default settings on the router since it came out of the box.

Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Whats the phone app saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

ED E wrote: »
    Whats the phone app saying?

It was saying nothing, it assumed that after 15 seconds it would go to solid blue.

For completeness, I got this sorted this morning but persistently factory resetting the disc. It eventually worked, but no real explanation as to why it took so many attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭fixxation

In the end for me, it was just a matter of making sure the wireless 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz were disabled and the Tenda in bridged mode. When all the wireless devices appear on the router, they now appear as 'wired' as they're all coming in through the single ethernet port. Still no option for 'modem mode' on my Vm 3 hub but this achieves the same result AFAIK.

Been working perfectly for several weeks now, great 3-node mesh https://amzn.to/3fbenxq system for little money compared to the others.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

fixxation wrote: »
    In the end for me, it was just a matter of making sure the wireless 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz were disabled and the Tenda in bridged mode. When all the wireless devices appear on the router, they now appear as 'wired' as they're all coming in through the single ethernet port. Still no option for 'modem mode' on my Vm 3 hub but this achieves the same result AFAIK.

Been working perfectly for several weeks now, great 3-node mesh https://amzn.to/3fbenxq system for little money compared to the others.

Cheers

I've just got a set of mw6, so you switched off WiFi on your router and put mw6 into bridge mode? Still trying to get my head around it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

Got the MW6 2 hours ago: just plugged it, havent changed anything on the Virgin Hub: just set it up and works right off the bat. 280mbs upstairs where I normally would get 10-20 max and downstairs where I get now 310-330 and would never go above 60

Blown away - currently switching all other devices to make sure it uses Tenda node

Advertisement